Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:39:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

rip richard matheson

Started by acrow, June 25, 2013, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acrow

just read that matheson has died.

a true talent.

Serge

Like Ray Bradbury, it seems bonkers that Matheson could still have been around in 2013 - when I started reading his stuff in eighties, he already had decades of work behind him. I used to have two anthologies of his short stories, 'Shock!' and 'Shock! 2' (and just looking them up, I see there was a third volume), one of which contained 'Big Surprise', one of the greatest short stories ever written. I was completely unaware, or had forgotten, that he wrote 'Duel' as well.

RIP.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bah!

RIP, a terrific writer.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Serge on June 25, 2013, 12:29:19 AM
'Big Surprise', one of the greatest short stories ever written.

After seeing your recommendation here, I've just read this.  Bloody hell.  What a great story and shocking twist.  Brilliant. Has this ever been made into a short film or adapted into a Twilight Zone episode?  Criminal if it hasn't. 

The Roofdog

RIP. 'I Am Legend' was one of my favourite books when I was a teenager. Always wanted a faithful film adaptation of it[nb]complete with the final chapter that, y'know, explains the title[/nb], thanks to that Will Smith piece of crap there'll probably never be one now.

Kane Jones

BUMP

I'm doing a reading of 'Big Surprise' by ol' Rich in my Night Light Halloween Special as part of Dr_Christian_Troy's Halloween Night on CaB Radio this evening at 7:30pm, if any of you are interested.  The whole evening should be a lot of spooky fun, so listen in if you can.

Oh and thank you Serge for recommending the story.