Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,346
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:16:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Is The End

Started by weekender, June 28, 2013, 05:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: The Region Legion on November 18, 2013, 05:29:38 AM
The biggest problem with the film is that Danny McBride isn't as famous as the film says he is. Everyone else, other than the lead, was a huge international star, but I've never seen Danny in anything.

It doesn't claim he is famous does it? He is just well known among his circle of friends. When do they even meet the general public for this to come up?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Region Legion on November 18, 2013, 05:29:38 AM
The biggest problem with the film is that Danny McBride isn't as famous as the film says he is. Everyone else, other than the lead, was a huge international star, but I've never seen Danny in anything.

I would call McBride a pretty big international star. He was in a film with Natalie Portman. He's A list I'd say. Although that's probably not the point. I think the point is that he's an annoying dick, the protagonist that gets the action going and introduces a new peril by endangering the rest by being such a colossally selfish dick. It can still work if you're not familiar with him. Although I don't know how anyone can be, he was in Tropic Thunder, Pineapple Express, Land of The Lost and some other stuff like Heartbreak Kid remake and Observe and Report. Although to be fair Your Highness looked terrible and I sat in another room rather than watch it when someone rented the DVD.

Just saw this. Hugely enjoyed it, actually. Just really good fun overall, and I think it had a nice sweet core underneath it all. Really good stuff.

Also, there was only one 'you're gay' joke wasn't there? Danny McBride's initial thing about James Franco that was in the trailer? Think that's an unfair criticism on Noodle Lizard's part. Got an axe to grind with these guys and it feels like you made up your mind before you went in.

Also, has anyone seen the other Apocalypse Comedies out? I mean, seems like most people saw World's End, but what about Rapture-palooza and It's a Disaster?

It's a Disaster looked really good, but I really like Julia Stiles and David Cross. Rapture-palooza looked pretty terrible though.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Bored of Canada on December 20, 2013, 03:33:42 AMThink that's an unfair criticism on Noodle Lizard's part. Got an axe to grind with these guys and it feels like you made up your mind before you went in.

Possibly.  It doesn't help that I've never found anyone involved funny and that they're playing themselves, so it'd be dishonest to say I had high hopes.  Didn't change the fact that I thought it was shite, I'd have been much happier if I had liked it.  I'm not a glutton for punishment and I paid to see it on the basis that it was getting good reviews from a few people I trust.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 18, 2013, 02:25:22 PM
I would call McBride a pretty big international star. He was in a film with Natalie Portman. He's A list I'd say. Although that's probably not the point. I think the point is that he's an annoying dick, the protagonist that gets the action going and introduces a new peril by endangering the rest by being such a colossally selfish dick. It can still work if you're not familiar with him. Although I don't know how anyone can be, he was in Tropic Thunder, Pineapple Express, Land of The Lost and some other stuff like Heartbreak Kid remake and Observe and Report. Although to be fair Your Highness looked terrible and I sat in another room rather than watch it when someone rented the DVD.

Land Of The Lost and Your Highness both flopped hard, and he is not the star of any of those other films. He's not an A-list star at all, just familiar enough to be one of the Apatow menagerie. This Is The End assumes you're aware of him from at least Pineapple Express, given they do that sequel riff halfway through. Jay Baruchel is the one people aren't going to recognise, and he's the joint lead alongside Rogen.

Quote from: Tiny Poster on December 20, 2013, 10:00:12 AM
This Is The End assumes you're aware of him from at least Pineapple Express, given they do that sequel riff halfway through. Jay Baruchel is the one people aren't going to recognise, and he's the joint lead alongside Rogen.

Yeah, I didn't recognise Jay from anything but I had assumed he was Seth's not-famous friend from high-school or something. If you think of him that way, the film still completely works, whereas they make a big deal about McBride and play up this exaggerated character thing, but I have no idea who he is or what I'm meant to think about him so it doesn't work. Everyone knows who Emma Watson is, so when she says "I just heard you discussing which one of you was going to rape me first" and wielding an axe you get the "ho ho that's against type!" moment.

I suppose if you're familiar with the Apatow films then McBride is the right choice, but it seems like its the kind of role for an incredibly famous person - Tom Hanks or something. Maybe that would have been too much.

checkoutgirl

Well I've heard of Danny McBride because I haven't been living in a hole in the ground for a decade. I assume the average CABber would recognise him. He starred in The Foot Fist Way and he's the star of Eastbound and Down. If you've never heard of him then good luck to you because you are obviously a shitty foetus with personal issues, bad breath and a small package.

I had genuinely never heard of Jay Baruchel though despite him being in a ton of stuff. He's not really a memorable looking guy, sort of nondescript and weedy. Whereas McBride is a larger than life presence. 

And Bored, I watched It's a Disaster and I liked it. It's not laugh a minute or amazing or anything but it held my interest and was good fun. It's like a more middle America, claustrophobic version of the end of the world with David Cross, Ugly Betty and a load of actors who wouldn't probably be as well known outside America, Danny McBride was not among them, being a well known actor. Funny ending too.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 20, 2013, 12:35:24 PM
Well I've heard of Danny McBride because I haven't been living in a hole in the ground for a decade. I assume the average CABber would recognise him. He starred in The Foot Fist Way and he's the star of Eastbound and Down. If you've never heard of him then good luck to you because you are obviously a shitty foetus with personal issues, bad breath and a small package.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Never seen Eastbound and Down. Does he continue his apparent life's work of being SO SHOCKING AND WILD OMG THIS GUY IS JUST THE MOST CRAZY DUDE EVER? Yawnsome, if so. A bit like Doug Stanhope, so desperately shouting from the rooftops about how he drinks alcohol (OMG HE DRINKS ALCOHOL YOU GUYS, HE'S COOL!).

phantom_power

I don't think you need to know who McBride is. He is just obviously the nemesis from his first appearance and act. That he was too self-involved to notice the apocalypse and then not care that he ate all the food says all you need to know about the character

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 20, 2013, 12:35:24 PM
And Bored, I watched It's a Disaster and I liked it. It's not laugh a minute or amazing or anything but it held my interest and was good fun. It's like a more middle America, claustrophobic version of the end of the world with David Cross, Ugly Betty and a load of actors who wouldn't probably be as well known outside America, Danny McBride was not among them, being a well known actor. Funny ending too.

Just finished this now and quite enjoyed it, it feels occasionally a little theatrical and the girl playing the slutty one was a bit over the top, but it's amiable stuff and fairly endearing. The only thing is that I didn't really like the way it ended,
Spoiler alert
I have no problem with the twist, but I wanted to see if they'd drink the fucking wine or not. And even if they do, why not wait until the first symptoms start showing? Then they would know it's time to check out, but before that, enjoy the food, alcohol, fucking, and all that jazz?
[close]

Mister Six

Quote from: The Region Legion on November 13, 2013, 05:06:35 AM
Also, the internal logic of the film collapses once we arrive in Heaven to find that it's arguably worse than Franco's party, with all the drugs, sluts and partying that they were all left behind during the Rapture for in the first place.

No, it's made pretty clear in the film that they're all left behind because they're selfish, self-absorbed, conceited pricks. They get to go to Heaven because they're willing to die to protect one another, not because they gave up weed and fucking.