Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:33:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can we talk about power pop?

Started by paolozzi, June 29, 2013, 09:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kngen

Oh, and Jack Lee of The Nerves is a power-pop god, as not only did he write Hangin' On The Telephone, which Blondie then covered (and all the tracks on that Nerves EP are gold, btw). He wrote this song for Parallel Lines, which is probably one of my favourite tracks of theirs.

Yes, Blondie is all well and good, I hear you say, but have you got anything a bit more obscure, punky and edgy, say a female-fronted Chicano power-pop/punk band from East LA, maybe?

Why yes - here's The Brat. The valley-girl 'oh!' at 2.10 makes my heart melt every time I hear it.

And seriously, how could anyone not love a band that looks like this?

cosmic-hearse

The Last

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwGQXkcOzEs

They were peers of The Minutemen, Red Cross/Redd Kross and Black Flag (sharing a practice space & the occasional member of the latter), but they were pure pop, & unsurprisingly recorded for (early power pop evangelist) Greg Shaw's Bomp! Records.

The Descendents, in their early years (before they replaced raw jangly guitars with bad metal overdrive) were hugely indebted to The Last.

Hank_Kingsley

Quote from: Don_Preston on June 30, 2013, 01:43:47 PM
An interesting one. It's so skewed and mad that I wouldn't really label it as 'power pop.' Even on the covers and upbeat songs, where the intent may have been there to recreate the 'Big Star sound' it's nicely fucked up and left-of-centre.

I know, it is a weird one. It's actually the first Big Star album I ever heard and it threw me for a loop. I'd become aware of them through The Posies, Matthew Sweet, and The Jayhawks.

It is an unusual album, but like Chris Bell's 'I am the cosmos' I think it has a sort of frazzled, unhinged quality to it that I like.

'Holocaust' is a right toe-tapper though.

On a side note, on 'Blue Moon' does anyone else hear Chilton's delivery of the line 'in your eyes' quite distinctly as 'in your arse'? Because I do and it sort of ruined the song for me.

doppelkorn

I love sharing this song. It's Pat Wilson's Bop Girl.

By all accounts Pat Wilson didn't have a long enough career in music to even require categorisation. She never released an album but this song got to #2 in Australia. It's pure pop but it's too knowing to go unnoticed. The video also features a 15-year-old Nicole Kidman. The whole thing seems to depict some weird kind of Australia I've read about where they still called England "home". I dunno.

kngen

This awesome Rich Kids track is begging to be covered by some lame Dalston hipster two-piece. Fortunately, most lame Dalston hipster two-pieces have no real musical knowledge beyond the last White Denim record, and it being written by Midge Ure probably innoculates it from rehipsterfying anyway.

sirhenry

I always preferred their Ghosts of Princes, but the whole album is full of fun, singalong power pop.

holyzombiejesus

I don't work for Numero, honest, but this new power pop compilation is great. Track 8, by  Nines sounds so ridiculously like Choo Choo Train era Ric Menck, it's ridiculous. (listen to it under the picture of the sleeve).

http://www.numerogroup.com/catalog_detail.php?uid=01466

Were The Fastbacks power pop?

The Fastbacks - Wrong Wrong Wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPEx4ZQZ4Zw

sirhenry

No.4, The Names sound amazingly like Cheap Trick. I had to double check.

Marty McFly

WELL I DO LOVE POWER POP... A welcome thread here on CaB, a lot of favourites have already come up, good picks everyone.

I have a little blog over here that I hope you'll find enjoyable: http://power-pop.tumblr.com

Regarding exactly what is and what isn't power pop, it's really more of a viewpoint and an intention than one particular style of music, I think. Certain musicians hate the term despite becoming known as one of the leading lights of it for a brief period (Marshall Crenshaw, I'm looking at you) and others embrace it and frequently mention the genre and their favourite acts in interviews and so on.

I have to recommend Kurt Baker, he used to be frontman of pop-punkers The Leftovers and is now doing solo material with a very 70s power pop feel, he sounds shockingly like the young Elvis Costello

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIvaSjmg0n8

Also, a new Shoes album called Ignition came out last year and I've played it more than any recent album, it's absolutely incredible. 15 tracks in 55 minutes and not a dud in the bunch. Check it out!

CaledonianGonzo

Nice sampler list here, if a little US-centric:

1. No Matter What - (1970) Badfinger
  2. September Gurls - (1974) Big Star
  3. Go All The Way - (1972) Raspberries
  4. Please Please Me - (1963) Beatles
  5. The Kids Are Alright - (1965) Who
  6. Starry Eyes - (1978) Records
  7. When You Walk In The Room - (1964) Searchers
  8. I Am The Cosmos - (1977) Chris Bell
  9. I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better - (1965) Byrds
10. Cynical Girl - (1982) Marshall Crenshaw
11. Love Grows - (1970) Edison Lighthouse
12. I Wanna Be With You - (1972) Raspberries
13. Dover Beach - (1984) Bangles
14. What I Like About You - (1979) Romantics
15. Lies - (1965) Knickerbockers
16. Girl Don't Tell Me - (1965) Beach Boys
17. Friday On My Mind - (1966) Easybeats
18. Baby Blue - (1971) Badfinger
19. My Sharona - (1979) Knack
20. I've Been Waiting - (1991) Matthew Sweet
21. Cruel To Be Kind - (1979) Nick Lowe
22. There She Goes - (1988) La's
23. Needles And Pins - (1964) Searchers
24. The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em) - (1981) Greg Kihn Band
25. Rock And Roll Girl - (1979) Paul Collins Beat
26. What You Do To Me - (1991) Teenage Fanclub
27. If I Needed Someone - (1965) Beatles
28. If We Never Meet Again - (1988) Reckless Sleepers
29. Red Rubber Ball - (1966) Cyrkle
30. Southern Girls - (1977) Cheap Trick
31. The Way - (1998) Fastball
32. Ever Fallen In Love - (1978) Buzzcocks
33. Just A Smile - (1974) Pilot
34. She's Not There - (1964) Zombies
35. Baby's Coming Back - (1990) Jellyfish
36. Another Girl, Another Planet - (1978) Only Ones
37. I Can't Let Go - (1966) Hollies
38. I Only Want To Be With You - (1963) Dusty Springfield
39. We Got The Beat - (1981) Go-Gos
40. Girl Of My Dreams - (1979) Bram Tchaikovsky
41. The Trains - (1986) Nashville Ramblers
42. Ballad Of El Goodo - (1972) Big Star
43. Someday Someway - (1982) Marshall Crenshaw
44. And Your Bird Can Sing - (1966) Beatles
45. Baby It's Cold Outside - (1977) Pezband
46. What Do All The People Know - (1982) Monroes
47. She May Call You Up Tonight - (1967) Left Banke
48. Behind The Wall Of Sleep - (1986) Smithereens
49. Look Through Any Window - (1965) Hollies
50. Live - (1967) Merry-Go-Round
51. A Million Miles Away - (1982) Plimsouls
52. Precious To Me - (1981) Phil Seymour
53. Tonight - (1973) Raspberries
54. Seems So - (1997) Apples In Stereo
55. Making Time - (1966) Creation
56. Pulling Mussels (From The Shell) - (1980) Squeeze
57. Goody Goody Gumdrops - (1968) 1910 Fruitgum Company
58. Shake Some Action - (1976) Flamin' Groovies
59. Solar Sister - (1993) Posies
60. Fresh As A Daisy - (1970) Emitt Rhodes
61. Just A Little - (1964) Beau Brummels
62. That Thing You Do! - (1996) Wonders
63. Hearts In Her Eyes - (1979) Searchers
64. Surrender - (1978) Cheap Trick
65. I Can't Explain - (1965) Who
66. Whenever You're On My Mind - (1983) Marshall Crenshaw
67. I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend - (1979) Rubinoos
68. Senses Working Overtime - (1982) XTC
69. Don't Worry Baby - (1964) Beach Boys
70. Rock And Roll Love Letter - (1975) Tim Moore
71. This Beat Goes On/Switchin' To Glide - (1980) Kings
72. I'm On Fire - (1975) Dwight Twilley Band
73. James - (1984) Bangles
74. Saturday Night - (1973) Bay City Rollers
75. Dreaming - (1979) Blondie
76. Alcoholiday - (1991) Teenage Fanclub
77. I Got You - (1980)Split Enz
78. Til I Hear It From You - (1995) Gin Blossoms
79. Couldn't I Just Tell You - (1972) Todd Rundgren
80. Back Of My Hand - (1979) Jags
81. Fox On The Run - (1975) Sweet
82. Girlfriend - (1991) Matthew Sweet
83. She Don't Care About Time - (1965) Byrds
84. Hanging On The Telephone - (1976) Nerves
85. Daydream Believer - (1967) Monkees
86. Little Mascara - (1985) Replacements
87. Teenage Kicks - (1978) Undertones
88. Open My Eyes - (1968) Nazz
89. Big Brown Eyes - (1982) dBs
90. Tomorrow Night - (1979) Shoes
91. Hackensack - (2003) Fountains Of Wayne
92. Outside Chance - (1966) Turtles
93. Yellow Pills - (1979) 20/20
94. Get Your Radio - (1979) Secrets
95. Golden Blunders - (1990) Posies
96. Where Were You When I Needed You - (1966) Herman's Hermits
97. Getting Closer - (1979) Wings
98. (I'd Go The) Whole Wide World - (1977) Wreckless Eric
99. Do Anything You Wanna Do - (1977) Eddie & The Hot Rods
100. Teacher Teacher - (1980) Rockpile

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-Power-Pop.html

Nice to see Starry Eyes by The Records up there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJi8AXCD4DU

also XTC's Senses Working Overtime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9gq-ANfjc0

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Marty McFly on July 04, 2013, 08:44:33 PM

Also, a new Shoes album called Ignition came out last year and I've played it more than any recent album, it's absolutely incredible. 15 tracks in 55 minutes and not a dud in the bunch. Check it out!

Yeah, one of my favourites of last year along with David Myhr's Soundshine.

Marty McFly

The Searchers covered Hearts In Her Eyes by The Records on one of their late-70s revival albums..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhvYbzg4-OA

paolozzi

I have lots to learn! Thanks for all the suggestions, I will be definitely be finding some new favourites in here.

Here are the Sonic Avenues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZtDVuLdFmc
More along the Exploding Hearts line of power pop.

Marty McFly

DukeDeMondo

Earth Vs The Wildhearts. The best power-pop record of all time.

holyzombiejesus

Can someone help? Who did a really good power pop-y cover of this? ('This' being I Want You Bad by some old guy called Charlie Robison).

http://www.nme.com/musicvideos/id/17762

I've got Subway Records/ Ric Menck or Matthew Sweet in my head but a quick google doesn't turn anything up. I really remember the song - I only got to the original version because I knew the lyrics to google - but I can't find any record of any cover.

sirhenry

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 06, 2013, 12:42:47 PM
Can someone help? Who did a really good power pop-y cover of this? ('This' being I Want You Bad by some old guy called Charlie Robison).
Can't find a cover of that, but lyrically it's not a patch on the Offspring's version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g19fCJotPc

holyzombiejesus

Ah, it's actually by a band called NRBQ and the version I was thinking of was, I think, by The Long Ryders (although it appears that The Flamin' Groovies di da version too, although that may have just been a rehearsal room thingy). There's a version of it by J Mascis too, which has a really odd video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iSbo7mVBA0

Kane Jones

Quote from: Marty McFly on July 04, 2013, 08:44:33 PM

Wow, I adore their first 3 albums and I had no idea this was out.  Thanks for the heads up!

Kane Jones

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 04, 2013, 08:46:11 PM
Nice to see Starry Eyes by The Records up there

I love that song.  It's so flipping catchy and the words are great.  About their manager, wasn't it?  Brilliant stuff.

CaledonianGonzo

Time once more to pimp out this better-than-it-has-any-right-to-be slice of power pop nirvana:

Kane Jones

Drat. I nearly mentioned that one, but I forgot to do it.  It's bloody great (although a bit overlong).

CaledonianGonzo

Ah...interesting.  Which tracks would you lop off?  For me it's the two 'big' singles that are the weak links - Julia especially.  The entire second side is peerless.

Captain Mildred

I bloody love Silver Sun - and kind of think of Eureka Machines as their natural successors.
They're incredibly good.

There's a nod to Earth vs The Wildhearts up above (sorry not to quote - fiddly on a tablet) and it's one of my fave albums - but prob a tad too heavy for the power pop tag.

Ginger's latest project Hey! Hello!, however, is perfect for this thread..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2jN040ErUqc&feature=related

Edit: Been so long since I posted here I forgot I had an overly appropriate avatar!

Not sure what's happening to Oscillations at the moment.  Power-pop, Manics, early 2000s indie...where are all the threads about obscure Finnish neo-prog and Paraguayan jazz-funk?

Funnily enough Silver Sun also jumped into my mind when I saw this thread.  I liked the single Lava many years ago but there was no way to hear the rest back then without buying the album and I don't think the other singles persuaded me enough to buy it.

Have also just noticed the similarity between the staccato bits on Lava and the Maccabees' song Pelican.

Kane Jones

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 09, 2013, 08:09:02 PM
Ah...interesting.  Which tracks would you lop off?  For me it's the two 'big' singles that are the weak links - Julia especially.  The entire second side is peerless.

I must admit, I feel the opposite.  I think it starts to sag after 'Lava' (which along with 'Yellow Light' and 'Service' is probably the best song on the album, IMO).  All the subsequent songs sound like less catchy versions of the preceding songs.  For example 'This N That' is a weak version of 'Service'.  The second half is redeemed by 'Animal Feets', which is sublime, so I suppose I would lose '2 Digits', 'Wonderful' and 'Nobody'.  This would make it a much tighter album.  I prefer a power pop album with 10 or 11 tracks really.  Any more and I start to lose interest.  This is why Cheap Trick's In Color is such a perfect power pop album to me.  Economical, tight, effortlessly hooky 3 minute songs with zero flab. And there's only 10 songs.  It never outstays its welcome.  While Silver Sun is marvellous, the overall sound, those similar harmonies, the songs.. Just start to get a bit samey, I guess.  I personally think 'Julia' is another high point, and sounds the most like an homage to The Beach Boys/Beatles/Kinks out of all the songs.

I will say this though, it may be that if I'd heard the second side first, I'd be saying the same about the first side.  It could well be that the 'samey'-ness is part of the reason why I start to tune out during the second half.

Does anyone else agree that the chorus of 'Nobody' is very similar to 'Substitute' by Clout (which is a belter, in my opinion)? Also, Wonderful reminds me of something from Ash's 1977 (would this be considered a power pop album?  It's certainly got the tunes, but may be a bit punky).

lazyhour

Wonderful to see some praise for Silver Sun. Such an underappreciated band. I suppose the tone of (and some of the songs on) their second album didn't help them. Nor did being lumped in with the worst corners of Britpop.

Another recommendation from me - BC Camplight's first album from 2005, "Hide, Run Away". Listenable in full here:

http://bccamplight.bandcamp.com/album/hide-run-away

Marty McFly

I must be an anomalous listener of Silver Sun because I prefer their second album to their first (but then again it was the first record of theirs I got as a young impressionable teenager and I did see them live in Norwich when they toured to support it), but with the first album some of the b-sides are better than tracks that made the album.

James Broad has uploaded several of their albums to eMusic - did you know there were recordings made after Neo Wave? - including a special edition of the first one complete with related demos and b-sides, bringing it up to a whopping 38 tracks.

http://www.emusic.com/album/silver-sun/silver-sun-special-edition-expanded/11780748/