Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:37:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Beta Band album

Started by Doctor Stamen, February 10, 2004, 06:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Stamen

Quotefrom the NME:

The Beta Band have confirmed details of their new album 'Heroes and Zeros'.

The album, the band's third has been produced by Nigel Godrich and will be released on April 26. The first single, 'Assessment' precedes the album on April 12.

The tracklisting runs:

Assessment
Space
Lion Thief
Easy
Wonderful
Troubles
Out-side
Space Battle
Rhododendron
Liquid Bird
Simple
Pure For

They've all been working on their own side projects at the same time as well apparently, all of which should be released this year.

imitationleather

Ooh, is it going to be like those Kiss solo albums?

Are The Beta Band actually good? I've got The 3 EP's but only like about three songs on it. What am I missing out on?

TraceyQ

Quote from: "imitationleather"
Are The Beta Band actually good? I've got The 3 EP's but only like about three songs on it. What am I missing out on?

Go back and listen to it again and again and again and then one more time til you do like it!!!

El Unicornio, mang

Can I just clarify something...
Is it pronounced "Bee-ta" or "Bay-ta"?

imitationleather

I probably don't like them because they're a bit 1997. I mean, that's almost classical music!

But seriously, I do like a few of the songs a lot. For instance, Dry the Rain is simply fantastic, but after that it just gets a bit dull and err... Some other word meaning not good (God, with a review of that quality I can already forsee me having a long career at the NME).

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "imitationleather"Ooh, is it going to be like those Kiss solo albums?

'3 EPs' is great, 'The Beta Band' (first 'proper' album is good, takes a few listens) and 'Hot Shots II' is very good too.  'To You Alone' is the fucking nuts though (a single released after their first album), as is all the King Biscuit Time stuff (that's Steve Mason's side project).

TraceyQ

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Can I just clarify something...
Is it pronounced "Bee-ta" or "Bay-ta"?

"Bee-ta", except when you're watching High Fidelity and then (and only then) it's "Bay-ta"

El Unicornio, mang

I knew it. Bloody Americans with their wrong pronunciations (actually, they're probably right, as it's named after the Greek letter

I have 3 EP's and it's okay, not that easy to get into but nice relaxing music

splattermac

I'm the words of the Grolsch man,

hey, schtop! you can't like everything, slow down, give the Beta Band a chance

You are disliking some good stuff at the moment,

April, I hope it's more 3EP meanderings, I didn't warm to Hot Shots,

new King Biscuit Time to look forward to as well, but thats old news from the tail end of last year and where is it? it must be nice to be a slack bastard musician.
http://www.astralwerks.com/kingbiscuit/nostyle.html old stuff inc I walk the earth

splattermac

Well I've just seen the video for Assessment, presumably the first single from the upcoming album, the video is quite a nice little linear loop, a sort of civilisation relay race. The tracks a bit boring first listen so it was nice to have the video by was of a distraction.

So yeah, expect to see and hear Assessment, I'm still looking forward to the album.

any whores in the Radio biz managed a listen to a promo?

tetoffender

Haven't seen the album yet, but Assessment has popped up on Soulseek. It did float past me by a bit on first listen, but  it's definitely a grower. It sounds a bit like a jauntier Joy Division with a horn section in tow.

Definitely looking forward to the album, but, like Splattermac, I found Hot Shots a bit dull. Hope the new one's an improvement.

The last I heard they were learning synchronised dance steps for their live shows (back projections being passé there days, apparently), which should at least make them as good fun as ever.

hands cold, liver warm

Has anyone listened to any Lone Pigeon stuff? He was in the beta band but left  for some reason (ill health I think).

I only have internet access at work so can't get any tracks off soulseek or whatever.

splattermac

aye, Concubine Rice was odd but listenable, people compared it to something Lennon might have made, but not ever having been a big Lennon listener I'd have no idea,

His (Lone Pigeon) new album 'SCHOOZZZMMII' is soon to be released.

bill hicks

Quote from: "The Unicorn"I knew it. Bloody Americans with their wrong pronunciations (actually, they're probably right, as it's named after the Greek letter

I have 3 EP's and it's okay, not that easy to get into but nice relaxing music

I believe it's a reference to Beta Blockers rather than the Greek letter so Bee-ta is correct.

Don't Greeks pronounce it "beeta" anyway?  Or maybe "veeta".

Either way, I suppose what matters is how the band themselves pronounce it...  The Beta Band Rap begins "We're the Beeta Band and we're nice and clean."

"This case is closed..."

Oh, and here's the cover from Amazon

mr rou-rou

on tour, got my tickets for Manchester already :) sorted

beta band on tour

splattermac

Well it's out and about in the usual places if you fancy a try before you buy,

it's no 3eps but from the end to end listens I've given it I already prefer it to Hot Shots.

Sounds better on earphones, and you are right about the single assessment, it's a grower.

I'll do you some samples tomorrow when I'm no so tired :/

Aye, tis far better than Hot Shots II.  Liquid Bird is a standout for me at the moment, and another one but I can't remember which.

Benny J. Fish

Enjoying it this very minute.

Great, but the promise of a new beta band album always seems to be better than the event itself.

Doctor Stamen

Cheers for the nudge, i've got it in my queue now.  It seems to be getting very good reviews, mostly 4/5 and even a few 5/5 too.

Assessment's good though, innit.  The intro reminds me of U2, who I fucking despise, but I really like it.

mr rou-rou

is yours glitch free? I have about 4 tracks with glitches in, but April the 26th isn't too far away for a purchase.

mr rou-rou

ta dah,

god bless the dutch,

oh Magoo you've done it again

The new Beta Band LP in streaming flash format

phes

I dont have any time for the Beta Band. Three ep's were great, as was 'To you alone'. Can't forgive them for the mounds of guff on the following two albums though. What a pile of warbling, steaming drivel. Guess i'm just hurt 'cause i thought so much of them. Sack the lead singer, replace him with Martin O'Neil. No-one will notice and they'll be good again.

Doctor Stamen

I can't get into this new one at all.  It sounds like their most accessible record yet, but compared to all their other stuff it's just dull and joyless.

mr rou-rou

What a disaster, went to see them in Manchester last night, turned up, stood around, looked at the crowd of shuffling Ian Brown bandy-legged type fans, looked at the band, looked at the floor for a bit, then the walls, started to feel ill, got pissed off at the restless crowd stood chatting, enjoyed one song, started to pour sweat, had a big whiteout and nearly fainted, tapped my mate on the shoulder 'I'm going to get a taxi home before I keel over' - 'I'll come with you, I'm not enjoying this at all'...and home to bed I went, shit night, wrong venue.

In my opinion when you go to see a folky-dubby-psychedelic band you should see them in an environment that suits their sound, cosy, colourful, relaxing. Instead the academy was a cigarette smoke filled dark pit full of miserable looking fuckers, myself included, but I wasn't well so that's my excuse.

BAN SMOKING AT GIGS

was anyone else there? did it get better after about 40 minutes of their set?