Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:22:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What will the next Chris Morris project be?

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 03, 2013, 10:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So, it's been a while since Four Lions, and for a limited period Chris Morris becoming a public, media-friendly figure.

Given Morris' preoccupation with incendiary issues, and the psychology of hysteria in general, what is going around at the moment that might make a funny/interesting future project- be it short film, tv show, stage perhaps? What would you like to see?

I remember weekender writing a post on Comedy Chat around 2004/5 suggesting a Brass Eye: War On Terror. Morris sort of delivered on that with Four Lions. (I think a BE episode would've repeated the War bit on The Day Today anyway)

Morris is one of those individuals that is very forward looking so I wouldn't expect anything to be a retread.

Subtle Mocking

To follow in Iannucci's footsteps, possibly a series on HBO? Or just a collaboration with Iannucci? Either way, I think America is probably his next stepping stone.

BlodwynPig

At the No Know Cure symposium, Chris told us all about some of the future projects he was looking to take forward. But he swore us to secrecy, so I cannot reveal anything.

Thomas

I'd like to see more short film stuff from Morris, I think.

The handheld style of Four Lions and Nathan Barley isn't a favourite of mine - I generally like my shots static and my takes long (think Woody Allen and Quentin Tarantino's conversation scenes) - but some of Jam has a really appealing cinematography about it. Particularly the opening sequences, with roving cameras and whatnot,[nb]I am not a cinematography expert, you might note.[/nb] as seen in Kevin Eldon's failed suicide-by-roped-car attempt and the road accident bit.

But he's done a short film already, so he might head to work in another medium. He's done radio, telly - various forms of it - short film, feature film,[nb]it makes me optimistic to hear Four Lions referred to as his 'first' feature film.[/nb] even music. Perhaps he'll do something in braille next.

Old Kane Jones and I were discussing this a bit the other day, actually, with particular reference to the excellent Blue Jam monologues. I wondered if a smattering of short stories by Morris might be interesting.

Edley

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 03, 2013, 10:28:38 PM
Given Morris' preoccupation with incendiary issues, and the psychology of hysteria in general, what is going around at the moment that might make a funny/interesting future project- be it short film, tv show, stage perhaps?

He could do something about the media's handling of paedophilia.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Thomas on July 03, 2013, 10:48:51 PM
The handheld style of Four Lions and Nathan Barley isn't a favourite of mine - I generally like my shots static and my takes long (think Woody Allen and Quentin Tarantino's conversation scenes) - but some of Jam has a really appealing cinematography about it. Particularly the opening sequences, with roving cameras and whatnot,[nb]I am not a cinematography expert, you might note.[/nb] as seen in Kevin Eldon's failed suicide-by-roped-car attempt and the road accident bit.

Jam hasn't aged well at all, but I definitely agree that it was very well shot and had a great, unsettling atmosphere. Maybe a film along those lines, in a similar style to that of David Lynch?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on July 03, 2013, 10:51:19 PM
Jam hasn't aged well at all, but I definitely agree that it was very well shot and had a great, unsettling atmosphere. Maybe a film along those lines, in a similar style to that of David Lynch?

Will never happen, but a collaboration would be phenomenal

Thomas

Yeah, I'd like to see something like that from Morris. Not an adaptation of anything from Jam or Blue Jam, but something of that tone. Again, I'm drawn back to those monologues.

Unless the future of Chris Morris is more political. Four Lions isn't a particularly political film, but he obviously held a deep interest in that malarkey whilst making it (even speaking out at public events, if I'm not mistaken, and doing that Guardian piece about Martin Amis), and then, y'know, he directed a couple of episodes of Veep.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Thomas on July 03, 2013, 10:48:51 PM
Old Kane Jones and I were discussing this a bit the other day, actually, with particular reference to the excellent Blue Jam monologues. I wondered if a smattering of short stories by Morris might be interesting.

We were indeed. A book of short stories a la Alexei Sayle's Barcelona Plates or Jeremy Dyson's Never Trust A Rabbit would be fantastic. I'd still prefer more radio from him though. The Music Shows and Blue Jam are my favourite bits of all Morris' work.

And less of the 'old', baby teeth.

Thomas

I think the Music Show is possibly my favourite Morris thing, too. Not that he's gotten worse since then, of course. It's just brilliant listening.

Quote from: Kane Jones on July 03, 2013, 11:00:15 PM
And less of the old, baby teeth.

Sorry, I read The Catcher in the Rye the other day and the repeated 'old' prefix was my favourite bit. Baby Teeth's alright actually, I'll embrace that as a nickname.

Subtle Mocking

Chris Morris' radio shows haven't been bettered since (especially not on Radio 1).

Thomas

I forgot to mention that he's done journalism, too. Or some sort of faux-journalism, at least, with the Richard Geefe columns and the 9/11 Atrocity Special (and the bar reviews in Loaded magazine).

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 03, 2013, 10:28:38 PM
I remember weekender writing a post on Comedy Chat around 2004/5 suggesting a Brass Eye: War On Terror. Morris sort of delivered on that with Four Lions. (I think a BE episode would've repeated the War bit on The Day Today anyway)

I liked weekender's proposed title for that - Brass Eye: The War Against Terror.

BlodwynPig

The Geefe columns are my highlight of his work, oddly.

I'd love it if he made a comedy zombie film.
Like, a satire...but, like...with zombies.

Like, maybe it's something edgy and boundary pushing, like, it focuses on a neo-nazi group, something the media wouldn't normally do.
And the members of the group say all this shocking racist stuff, but, y'know, it's ironic, because it's funny because what they're saying is so horrible that it's audacious and funny, and it's not actually racist because it's so racist and hateful that it's kinda silly!   
But, like, they group are actually all zombies! And they groan and shamble about. And they could, like, be at rallies.
But, like, instead of rallies, they're called "Ralli-...Braiiiiins". Haha!

And the people they're all hateful towards are also zombies, and like, it shows just how silly racism is...because, y'know...they're all zombies.

And people would say the C-word in it too and there'd be lots of killings and emotions! I'd like that a lot.

He should do all that.   

Kane Jones

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 04, 2013, 07:43:50 AM
The Geefe columns are my highlight of his work, oddly.

Thomas was asking about those the other day.  Where are they?  I printed them off from here a few years ago, so I have a hard copy somewhere, but I'd like a digital copy too (as would young Thommy Thom Thom[nb]AKA Baby Teeth[/nb], presumably).  Does anybody know why they were taken down?  There's a link on the homepage but nowt there.

Quote from: Kane Jones on July 04, 2013, 09:05:50 AM
Thomas was asking about those the other day.  Where are they?  I printed them off from here a few years ago, so I have a hard copy somewhere, but I'd like a digital copy too (as would young Thommy Thom Thom[nb]AKA Baby Teeth[/nb], presumably).  Does anybody know why they were taken down?  There's a link on the homepage but nowt there.

I think this is all of them, right?

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?page=cabkbcat&cat=11

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?page=cabkbcat&cat=12

Ignatius_S

Wonder if anything will come to this: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,28543.0.html

Quote from: Kane Jones on July 04, 2013, 09:05:50 AM

There's quite a few places hosting them, but try: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/page/0,,671683,00.html

Ignatius_S

You wait ages for a column, then two come at once...

Also, here's the link to the various articles here - http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/page,cabkbsource/source,18.html

Quote from: Kane Jones on July 04, 2013, 09:25:56 AM
You fackin' LEDGE mate. Oi, Thomas!  Over here...

All thanks should go to Ignatius, he provided links to even more of 'em! Regarless, this has sparked me to give them all a re-read anyway, so everyone's a winner.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Bored of Canada on July 04, 2013, 09:32:29 AM
All thanks should go to Ignatius, he provided links to even more of 'em! Regarless, this has sparked me to give them all a re-read anyway, so everyone's a winner.

I karma'd him up big time.  But still *ahem* INGNATIUS _S, you're fucking tops, mate. Genius.

BlodwynPig

i'm surprised you've never come across them. I think I talked with Thomas at the symposium about them, but my memories are blurred with the vision of his youthful innocence.

Kane Jones

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 04, 2013, 11:17:17 AM
i'm surprised you've never come across them. I think I talked with Thomas at the symposium about them, but my memories are blurred with the vision of his youthful innocence.

Oh, I've read them before.  I only had hard copies.  I really wanted digital copies which Ignatius has sorted!  It was young Tom Tom Club who hadn't read them.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kane Jones on July 04, 2013, 11:23:35 AM
Oh, I've read them before.  I only had hard copies.  I really wanted digital copies which Ignatius has sorted!  It was young Tom Tom Club who hadn't read them.

Aye, Thomas the Wank Engine always had trouble pulling out of the sidings.

momatt

Now that Chris has buried the hatchet with Stewart Lee, I would like it if they worked together.  Preferably doing something other than script editing.

Chris is certainly keeping a very low profile lately.  Even for him.

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: momatt on July 04, 2013, 11:41:55 AM
Now that Chris has buried the hatchet with Stewart Lee, I would like it if they worked together.  Preferably doing something other than script editing.
I didn't realise they fell out. I thought it was Armando and Patrick Marber that L&H had issues with.

Hymenoptera

Echoing previous posts - I'd love to see another short film, or a collection of monologues in a similar vein to Blue Jam. Also quite like the idea of a book of short stories. Or a book of anything, really. It's bound to be entertaining, full of idiosyncratic pissing-about-with-words. I'd like that. Does he do requests?

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Hymenoptera on July 04, 2013, 03:07:27 PM
Also quite like the idea of a book of short stories.

Yep, I'd like that too. I could read his words all day.

Thomas

Thank ya'll for the Geefe links and the various remarks about myself. Vision of youthful innocence indeed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on July 04, 2013, 03:55:20 PM
Yep, I'd like that too. I could read his words all day.

They'd need to be long stories then!!!
Not short stories!!!