Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:44:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Multiplayer

Started by Sexton Brackets Drugbust, July 05, 2013, 07:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

As it grows as a gameplay element all - major - titles are expected to have in some capacity, what is it that you enjoy about multiplayer? Do you buy games for the single player experience, or is it the allure of playing online with other human beings that ultimately causes you to part with your hard earned?

I've never enjoyed multiplayer games, partially as they often lack the story progression that draws me into a game, partially because they tend to force haste and, for me, lack the environment immersion that single player campaigns allow for, and partially because of the stereotypical multiplayer 'bigoted US teen' experience. I find multiplayer pulls back the curtain and reveals gameplay as the repetitive mechanical action it so often is, that the story goes some way to help disguise.

Consignia

I quite like local multiplayer games, especially when you get a bunch of people together and get some competitiveness on the go. Otherwise, I never play it, I'm pretty much single player exclusive. Most games I like aren't multiplayer anyway.

Hangthebuggers

Sandbox multiplay. Especially when it's well designed, so actions of one group of players create conflict or problems for another group within the games parameters. None of this holding-your-hand bullshit.

Something like the good old days of Ultima online whereby anybody could pretty much do anything on the server (with various to no consequences), such as the freedom to steal people's boats or even lock their own key inside their houses and prevent them from getting inside, whilst you teleport out. A bastard of a game when it first came out, but was one of the first ever multiplayer games where I ever felt 'FREE'.

---

Eve online has also given me countless hours of fun.

Our player corporation consisted of about ten of us and we were all bastards.

Despite only being small in number this didn't stop us waging war on bigger player-driven corporations and disrupting their long-established trade routes, forcing them to hire other player mercenary corps to try and stop us. Only for us to defeat the Mercs (and their terrible plans) and laughed heartily as the mercs then decide to wage war on the corporation that originally hired them. Good days. We also affected the market in our local zone because we'd buggered up the supply routes. Which made the locals angry.

Eve takes a lot of patience and is quite frustrating, but the rewards of a long term plan were very satisfying.

VegaLA

I think its fair to say I've championed MP on this board for a few number of years.

And it has changed for the better in the past 10 years. MP has this reputation of just being an arena of 12 year olds running around with your Mums dick in their mouth, but the developers and the console makers have added features to help filter out that noise. On XBL its the Friends only option which allows me to just plan attacks and communicate with my friends. Now the phrase 'Co-op online' appears on the game sleeve and that's what attracts me to the multiplayer of the game. Running around on a map slaughtering 12 year olds* is nowhere near as satisfying as planning the next stage of a campaign with a friend online

The sooner consoles take on MMO the better. The Crew, Titan Fall and The Division may be heading in that direction, and GTA fans are fapping off on the recent term 'GTA online' which Rockstar mentioned earlier this week.

In short:

Running around an arena killing all on sight = Bad Multiplayer
Working through a story based campaign = Good Multiplayer
Exploring part of a living, breathing, open world = AWESOME Multiplayer.

* Should I rephrase that, don't want to end up in the slammer like that mouthy toad on FB.

syntaxerror

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: VegaLA on July 05, 2013, 10:15:07 PM
The sooner consoles take on MMO the better. The Crew, Titan Fall and The Division may be heading in that direction, and GTA fans are fapping off on the recent term 'GTA online' which Rockstar mentioned earlier this week.

Hopefully they'll do a better job than last time. The multiplayer on GTA IV was a complicated mess that took about 20 minutes to play even the quickest game. Same with Red Dead Redemption, also by Rockstar. It was improved but still bloody hard for a beginner to get a foothold on it unless you're willing to spend a few hours getting instantly killed.

Sometimes I enjoy a bit of mindless FPS multiplayer but the only one I really play is Bioshock 2. I've played the hell out of it but still always go back to it. The maps are really fun and there's enough variation to keep the excitement. There's not many people chatting on there and I don't remember ever really hearing people giving each other abuse. Usually it's just a couple of mates talking any old bollocks or talking about the game but it doesn't grate and even if it does you can mute them. I imagine Call of Duty is a whole other story. 

Puffin Chunks