Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:54:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

In The Cut

Started by blue jammer, February 10, 2004, 06:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue jammer

Anyone seen this?

QuoteFollowing the gruesome murder of a young woman in her neighborhood, a self-determined woman living in New York City--as if to test the limits of her own safety--propels herself into an impossibly risky sexual liaison. Soon she grows increasingly wary about the motives of every man with whom she has contact--and about her own.

Frannie (Meg Ryan) has an affair with Dick, sorry Detective Malloy (Mark Ruffalo) whilst he tries to solve a homicide. Now from the start there's an indication that this could very well be a dark film, something maybe a little like Se7en? Well, sorry to disappoint, it doesn't go anywhere near that dark, which I thought was a shame, as they could of, with some thought, made this a more twisted/surreal flick.

There's plently of erotica, both vocal and visual, and a slight undertone of 'ohhh there's someone doing something really bad to people...'

A typical twist near the end and that's it.

Some have said it's from a women's point of view, but if it was, I don't think there would be as much erotica, as it honestly felt at times like that was thrown in to just keep you interested. Not sure if it'll get a cut in the UK, but the US version has a felatio scene in.

Are filmakers becoming more daring with what they'll try and get away with in 'erotica' or are they just using it as a magnet to try and keep the blokes 'up' for longer?

Meg Ryan looks good for her age (43)

terrorist

mmmmmm felatio....

holywood films rarely seem to capture any sexual encounter with any real intensity anyway.  As you say I think it's all about keeping the breast count up and therefore the lads mags/tabloid reviews plentiful.
Not scene this film in particular but it sounds shit, meg ryan is shit. seven was shit. lock stock was shit

Edit: i remembered what I was going to say "Angelheart"

Cerys

While I dislike Meg Ryan as much as her insipid mediocrity allows, I loved 'Lock Stock', and I don't agree that 'Se7en' (or however you spell it) was shit; although I came out of the cinema convinced that what we'd just seen was about half of the film and that there'd be a far superior Director's Cut coming out at some point.  Ah well.

Capuchin

I thought it was okay.
It had that weird, disjointed quality you get with some films, like a Sunday morning when you're still drunk and it takes that extra few miliseconds to take things in. It wasn't great but it wasn't terrible. It easily stood up to other average police thriller fare, like the Bone Collector and Kiss the Girls and that, except it had the 'arty' angle and the erotica there to distance itself.
They kept the felatio in for the UK.

european son

Quote from: "terrorist"seven was shit.

i was just in the soulseek room and i just said

Quotei just watched "seven" for the nth time, and i still have to say that i rank it as up there with any movie ever made ever

and i stand by that.