Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:36:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Alternative" comedy isn't funny

Started by graffic, July 10, 2013, 05:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on July 20, 2013, 02:09:20 PM
Stewart Lee's formative experience has more in common with David Cameron than it does with that of the average Asda trolley boy. We shouldn't overlook that fact.

Can we at least ignore it ? Thanks.

graffic

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 20, 2013, 09:28:56 AM
Why does everything have to be "something" ? What's wrong with being any of the things you describe ? Is a 10 year old girl playing tennis part of a "tribe" that "subverts" Judo-Christian "heirarchy" and "patriarchal" desygnifiers in post crypto-facist Britain ? Or is it just a 10 year old girl playing tennis ?

Where do you get the time to be such an asshole graffic ? You must spend at least 2 or 3 hours a day training to maintain your level of idiocy. And that's sad man, you should put that time to better use, like being a comedian or having a heroin habit. Or sky diving without a parachute. Or chasing cars....anything.

I am a curious man and I like talking about stuff. I talk shit in real life too but it comes across even worse on the internet. You are an old fogie who thinks they understand everything and everything is content. John Stuart Mill said it's better to be a human dissatisfied than a pig satisfied. So if I come across as insufferably pretentious to people like you with the stubborn stubble mugshot I know that I'm doing something right.

Replies From View

Quote from: graffic on July 20, 2013, 04:13:12 PM
I am a curious man and I like talking about stuff.

Incorrect.  You are a stubborn character who likes to narrow everything down and then bicker with anyone who don't agree with your limiting definitions.  You're as curious as a set of set-in-their-way badgers who are settled into settees in Settleton, Settinghamshire.

mycroft

I am a curious man

Is that the opener to your Craigslist adverts, as well?

Johnny Yesno

I am a curious man and I like talking about stuff. I talk shit in real life too but it comes across even worse on the internet. You are an old fogie who thinks they understand everything and everything is content.

You certainly don't come across as curious. Dogmatic would be more accurate.

QuoteJohn Stuart Mill said it's better to be a human dissatisfied than a pig satisfied.

A liberal, there. You hate those.

QuoteSo if I come across as insufferably pretentious to people like you with the stubborn stubble mugshot I know that I'm doing something right.

No, you come across like you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Famous Mortimer

OH MY GOD HE'S A FUCKING TROLL WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO ARGUE WITH HIM

Alberon

QuoteYou see an old roller skate that's been left in the rain and is covered in rust and has got some dog plop on it?

That's your car, that is. That's your car on a Saturday afternoon after you've spent the whole day polishing it up.

Arguing with trolls is a guilty pleasure, like picking a scab. You know you shouldn't do it, but you can get enjoyment out of it

Replies From View

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 20, 2013, 05:52:17 PM
OH MY GOD HE'S A FUCKING TROLL WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO ARGUE WITH HIM

DON'T YOU EVEN KNOW ANY BUMMING TACTICS?!  GOD.

We are doing it for the sake of bumming, Mortimer.  For the sake of bumming not only for us, but for everyone.  You will thank us one day.

thepuffpastryhangman

Making irony obsolete part 784:

graffic started this thread. Then, five pages in, Famous Mortimer enters the thread, his one line contribution? To call the person who started the thread "A TROLL".

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 20, 2013, 03:10:42 PM
Can we at least ignore it ? Thanks.

To be fair I was ignoring the fact they both worked for Murdoch.

Thursday

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on July 20, 2013, 09:22:00 PM
Making irony obsolete part 784:

graffic started this thread. Then, five pages in, Famous Mortimer enters the thread, his one line contribution? To call the person who started the thread "A TROLL".

irony of someone saying something is ironic when it isn't it.

graffic

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 20, 2013, 12:37:30 PM
Is someone who uses an incomplete understanding of the work of Debord to criticise society just displaying tribal behaviour themselves?

You ignore the fact Debord was deadly serious, which re-enforces my original argument.

Capitalism inherently seeks to trivialize  things because capitalism is inherently a trivial thing in comparison to intellectualism. Selling stuff for profit is trivial for example.

Comedy is very un-resistant to capitalism and very easy to be penetrated by capitalism. For example, comedy is used in a lot of adverts on TV. Jimmy Carr said comedians are the lowest rung on the entertainment ladder and he's right. Stewart Lee is attempting to try and be something that he's not.

All opposition to capitalism has been deadly serious. Alternative comedy has achieved nothing and Stewart Lee is deluded.

Thomas

Quote from: graffic on July 26, 2013, 04:50:49 PM
Alternative comedy has achieved nothing and Stewart Lee is deluded.

Some 'alternative comedy' has made me laugh and [*Northern accent as not to sound too poncey*] shaped me own creative vision. If that's 'achieving nothing,' then I don't want to know success.

Cuh!

Johnny Yesno

Brundle-Fly

Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch

I'll tell you what isn't funny - Schindler's List.

Oh wait...