Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:16:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The World's End by Pegg and Edgar... Pegdgar!

Started by chocky909, July 11, 2013, 03:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocky909

I can't be bothered writing much about it just yet but I wanted to boast that I managed to get tickets to the Premiere last night.

It was good fun but not sensational. I'll watch it again on video.

Small Man Big Horse

Is Pegg as irritating in it as the trailer suggested? And would you say it's better than Hot Fuzz / Shaun of the Dead? It's strange as I used to be such a huge fan of Spaced, and really enjoyed the other two films, but I've very little enthusiasm about this at all.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 11, 2013, 04:12:47 PM
Is Pegg as irritating in it as the trailer suggested? And would you say it's better than Hot Fuzz / Shaun of the Dead? It's strange as I used to be such a huge fan of Spaced, and really enjoyed the other two films, but I've very little enthusiasm about this at all.

The law of diminishing marginal returns. Plus the fact that Pegg did Run Fatboy Run and How to Spread Margarine All Over Yourself And Defecate On People coupled with the fact that actors and comedians generally just get shitter as they get older will combine to dampen your spirits. Plus it's just yet another zombie/rage/children of the corn/village of the damned film, innit ? The film poster gave it away annoyingly.

I might still go and see it but in a world of torrents I don't fancy it's chances getting my euro pounds'n'pence'n'cents.

Serge

I keep seeing this poster on the side of buses and thinking that Frost is Ed Helms for some reason:

Still, it has Paddy Considine and Eddie Marsan in, so has to be worth at least a watch.

Though probably on DVD. In about six months.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Serge on July 11, 2013, 06:37:56 PM
Still, it has Paddy Considine and Eddie Marsan in, so has to be worth at least a watch.

Not forgeting Nick (obviously because he's prominent on the poster) who I tend to have more affection for than peg. Plus there's a couple of four star reviews knocking about, yeah, might be worth a butchers.

Brundle-Fly

I'm really looking forward to this but the trailer I watched last night in the cinema (before WWZ) comprehensively spoilered it to fuck. They should have kept the original trailer.

NoSleep

How come there's two films currently doing the rounds about a bunch of (boozy) mates saving the world from the apocalypse?

chocky909

It's the Pixar Dreamworks effect. http://www.imdb.com/list/gTvJpp_EJu8/

This is very much based around Pegg's character. Him being a tit is a big part of the film and I found him enjoyable compared to other recent characters. I wouldn't say it's better than Hot Fuzz overall but it definately isn't as good as Shaun. It is quite different in tone to both though. I'd say I was pleasantly surprised by some parts but probably a bit disappointed overall and my expectations were low. I wasn't expecting much from Pegg and Frost but given how highly I rated Scott Pilgrim I was expecting more from Wright.

Serge

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 11, 2013, 06:48:14 PM
Not forgeting Nick (obviously because he's prominent on the poster) who I tend to have more affection for than peg.

Oh yeah, I like Nick Frost and Simon Pegg too, but Considine and Marsan are always a cut above.

phantom_power

It has a great cast, as usual for a PFW production. The trailer was a bit underwhelming but I have loved every film that Wright has directed and have great affection for Pegg and Frost so I hope that they can pull it off (probably) one last time.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: NoSleep on July 11, 2013, 07:47:27 PM
How come there's two films currently doing the rounds about a bunch of (boozy) mates saving the world from the apocalypse?

I don't know but I saw this one last week. Not bad. Some of the ideas could have left out
Spoiler alert
(demons with giant floppy dicks)
[close]
but it was a pleasant surprise overall.

From the trailer, The World's End looks flashy but with shite jokes. Hope I'm wrong.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

In case seeing Frost and Pegg together wasn't enough, apparently this film is from THE MAKERS OF SHAUN OF THE DEAD and HOT FUZZ.

In case you didn't know.

chocky909

It's getting a hell of a lot of advertising on the streets of London.

up_the_hampipe

I saw a Q&A with Edgar Wright last night, he introduced himself and had a funny talk, then showed us the 35mm print of Shaun of the Dead, then spoke for an hour.
Nick Frost and Simon Pegg had junkets and stuff for World's End and weren't able to make it.

Then about 20 minutes in, Nick Frost walked in, then Simon Pegg about 15 minutes after that. It was hugely enjoyable.
I'm still nervous about World's End though. Everything I've heard seems to suggest the jokes fall a bit flat, but it's a bit more emotionally driven and good in that regard.
So, I'm going in expecting a fun, sci-fi romp...thing...with very minor comedic elements...and hopefully that'll ease any disappointment.   

WesterlyWinds

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 16, 2013, 01:02:39 PM
Can't wait to see the fence hopping joke!

They've ruined the surprise by putting it in the trailer. :(

zomgmouse

Quote from: Bored of Canada on July 16, 2013, 01:28:31 PM
I saw a Q&A with Edgar Wright last night, he introduced himself and had a funny talk, then showed us the 35mm print of Shaun of the Dead, then spoke for an hour.
Nick Frost and Simon Pegg had junkets and stuff for World's End and weren't able to make it.

Then about 20 minutes in, Nick Frost walked in, then Simon Pegg about 15 minutes after that. It was hugely enjoyable.
I'm still nervous about World's End though. Everything I've heard seems to suggest the jokes fall a bit flat, but it's a bit more emotionally driven and good in that regard.
So, I'm going in expecting a fun, sci-fi romp...thing...with very minor comedic elements...and hopefully that'll ease any disappointment.
Didn't know you were a Melburnian as well, BoC! Last night really was brilliant, wasn't it?
I blocked my ears and closed my eyes for the duration of the The World's End trailer, though. I hate trailers.

Famous Mortimer

Talking of the end of the world played for laughs, there's "Rapturepalooza" coming out soon too.

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 16, 2013, 02:27:38 PM
Didn't know you were a Melburnian as well, BoC! Last night really was brilliant, wasn't it?
I blocked my ears and closed my eyes for the duration of the The World's End trailer, though. I hate trailers.

Yeah, definitely! Hugely entertaining!
Not enough interviews go into detail about an actor pubes. Glad we were able to be witness to the hard hitting questions.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 16, 2013, 02:51:23 PM
Talking of the end of the world played for laughs, there's "Rapturepalooza" coming out soon too.

Now that does look rather bad. They've also got that Hell Baby one coming out as well. You can tell they're working with a much lower budget. I feel bad for them having to come out being compared with This is the End.

Famous Mortimer

The budget seems small, but both those films have got pretty heavyweight comedy casts. There's full frontal nudity in "Hell Baby" too, apparently, although I doubt it'll be particularly exciting (it's Riki Lindholme out of Garfunkel and Oates).

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 16, 2013, 05:47:02 PM
The budget seems small, but both those films have got pretty heavyweight comedy casts. There's full frontal nudity in "Hell Baby" too, apparently, although I doubt it'll be particularly exciting (it's Riki Lindholme out of Garfunkel and Oates).

Budget doesn't mean it won't be funnier than This is The End, obviously.
I guess I just meant that the trailer for Hell Baby I saw [nb]which incidentally contains half-frontal nudity in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWAxTjEL9f4[/nb] wasn't great, as was the Rapturepalooza trailer. Every critic is going to ultimately compare it to This is the End, which looks to be a far more polished and well produced film, and will likely be negative reviews if that trailer's any indicator.

Then again, maybe it's just the content they're advertising with. Could just be a shit trailer.
They're sticking in them smoking weed, naked chicks and lots of uncontextualised effin' and jeffin' in order to bring in a bigger market, I guess. Fair play to them.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Bored of Canada on July 17, 2013, 05:18:29 AM
effin' and jeffin'
I used that phrase yesterday too, to a reception of blank faces.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed about Rapturepalooza, but Hell Baby...well, I get the feeling it's going to rely on all the podcast hosts who have parts in it to spread the word about how good it is. Paul Scheer, for example, is a shameless shill for anything with his friends in it.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 16, 2013, 05:47:02 PMThere's full frontal nudity in "Hell Baby" too, apparently, although I doubt it'll be particularly exciting (it's Riki Lindholme out of Garfunkel and Oates).

So can we expect Louis CK Doug Stanhope Louis CK Doug Stanhope Louis CK Doug Stanhope Louis CK Doug Stanhope Louis CK Doug Stanhope someone else to get caught doing a Paul Reubens?

Theremin

Off to see a Shaun/Fuzz/World's triple bill tonight.

I shall keep you posted on how much alcohol and food I am able to sneak in. My coat pocket options are limited by the heat.

SteveDave

Quote from: chocky909 on July 18, 2013, 01:29:14 PM
Bag?

Don't start that again. See T'issues thread about coat wearing in heat/not carrying a bag for details.

Theremin

Quote from: chocky909 on July 18, 2013, 01:29:14 PM
Bag?

Good idea!

I think my friends are all getting food legally, but they have disposable income are suckers.

zomgmouse

Technically you are getting the food legally, you're maybe not bringing it into the cinema legally. Who knows. I bagsneak food all the time. Unless I'm at the one cinema I always go to (that's The Astor, BoC) and then I buy one of their choc-ices, which are worth the money.

Rolf Lundgren

Saw a midnight showing of it and liked it. My main concern going in was that they'd run out of jokes or stop trying to be funny but they hadn't and they didn't. I can see this being the one that splits opinion the most because it is darker but it would be harsh to argue that it doesn't sit well with the other two. The plot doesn't quite gel together though as it tries to be about 2 things at once which at times misses the mark and I'm still not convinced by the ending (although it was about 2 in the morning at that point and I was knackered). There's just something quite enjoyable and heartwarming about all these films that makes them fun to watch and it's still the case.

The thing they should be applauded for is that they haven't redone the same thing over and over again. There's jokes that hark back obviously and thematically there's a trend but they haven't overtly copied themselves and overmilked the cow so to speak. It's hard to think of a comedy trilogy that doesn't do just that.