Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:27:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The World's End by Pegg and Edgar... Pegdgar!

Started by chocky909, July 11, 2013, 03:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah but he jumps over the fence again so DIE the lot of them I say

non capisco

I thoroughly enjoyed it after not really expecting to due to antipathy brought on by Pegg and Frost's other recent projects. 'Paul', for instance, right load of old dog eggs that was. The cinematic equivalent of one of those 1990s t-shirts with a spliff smoking alien and the caption 'Take Me To Your Dealer'. Dreadful.

I thought this was a blast though. After watching too many of these recent po-faced 140 minute blockbusters it was pleasant watching a special effects driven film that was light-hearted and with coherent and unwearying action scenes. I can see a few people being put off by Pegg's character but the fact he's clearly meant to be a total zoomer felt like the pressure of finding latter-day Simon Pegg slightly irksome was lifted from me, if that makes sense. It's alright, you can relax, you're meant to not like him.

Plus the sculpture that comes to life reminded me of the weird statue that stood outside your main boy's house in 'Terrahawks' that fascinated me so as a child and that I've just completely failed to find an image of.

tookish

I was a bit disappointed not to see another genre parody. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz do it so well, and it seemed very much 'part' of the trilogy.

Also, I know some people get annoyed about all the fan service involved in the trilogy, and I realise that it could seem a bit self-indulgent on the part of the creators. But I think that Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz managed to be very distinct, unique, and witty films in their own right, while still containing heaps of in-jokes and references for people who were paying very, very close attention.

The World's End was a reasonable film, but for me it lacked chemistry and heart. I did chuckle at various points, and never got bored, but I never got truly involved either. The characters were all a bit nothingy, and I think that
Spoiler alert
the friction between Andy and Gary made it difficult for there to be any chemistry between Pegg and Frost
[close]
(which is normally a joy to watch.) Martin Freeman added absolutely nothing in terms of characterisation, and I felt as though he was 'above' the role, which was a real shame.

It seemed like
Spoiler alert
Gary's 'lesson' was supposed to be that he couldn't live in the past, but instead of accepting his best friend for the man he now was, he chose the copies of his friends in their younger days.
[close]

They could have made much more of Gary's
Spoiler alert
implied suicide attempt
[close]
than they did - it felt like that was dealt with for a few moments and then forgotten. It also upset me that
Spoiler alert
Nick Frost and Simon Pegg were separate in the final scenes - I'd hoped for a glorious finish with the characters reunited after the events of the film.
[close]

Bleugh. Really disappointing finish to the series.

SteveDave

I did a MEGALOL at the
Spoiler alert
Cornetto
[close]
bit but overall it felt like they had a
Spoiler alert
post-apocalyptic ending
[close]
planned & then the start but had no way to link the two together so the actual reveal of
Spoiler alert
aliens who were trying to better the human race
[close]
was a bit will this do?

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: SteveDave on July 20, 2013, 11:52:03 PM
I did a MEGALOL at the
Spoiler alert
Cornetto
[close]
bit but overall it felt like they had a
Spoiler alert
post-apocalyptic ending
[close]
planned & then the start but had no way to link the two together so the actual reveal of
Spoiler alert
aliens who were trying to better the human race
[close]
was a bit will this do?

It did come across a bit like
Spoiler alert
let's chuck some robots in there and then let's chuck some aliens in there and hope people don't look too much into it other than it being an end-of-the-world thing. Doing one or the other would have been fine
[close]

Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch

Serious question - is Simon Pegg in any way related to Matthew Corbett of Sooty fame? He sure does look like him.

Serious statement - Edgar Wright is a cunt. Yeah, we've all heard the WHOOOSH noise you like putting over your flashy segues. You went to film school. We get it. Fuck off.

Icehaven

What was with Reece Shearsmith and Nathan Barley's characters too? It felt as if they might have had a lot more scenes/more of a role that got cut for some reason. It was never really explained who they were, neither of them got any good lines and they just walked off at the end. Seemed odd to give recognisable faces cameo type parts, then not actually give them anything at all to do.

I thought it was OK, laughed at some of the bits, but I don't know if it was just the nostalgic music, the dismal reunion, or maybe just being reminded just how widespread chain pubs have become, but I found it almost unbearably depressing, particularly in the first half. It's peculiar to be saying that about part 3 of a comedy trilogy, but I think it's because they went a bit too far setting up the tragicness of Pegg's character, showing how much he'd been left behind, and the weariness and pity of his friends, it made it hard to laugh at the funny parts. To this, er, end though, it felt kind of right that he ended up going around pubs with the teenage versions of his friends, it'd have felt a bit stupid to have all that build up, have him nearly kill himself to try and finish the pub crawl, then just turn around and go ''yeah, OK, better grow up now.'' 

BlodwynPig

A stellar cast. A truly awful awful film. I am speaking as someone who is not that interested in Pegg et al's career. Watched Shaun of the Dead once (liked it) and a few episodes of Spaced, but that's about it.

But this was dreadful. It built up quite well with the central premise and the cunty Pegg character reminding me of a few friends from, yes, the 90s. After the plot reveal, things went rapidly downhill. I have thought back and imagined would I enjoy it as a farce - or comedy - NO. Telegraphed jokes and some really bad moralising and gung-ho action.

I guess these films are aimed at fanboys.

SteveDave

It might've been OH CHAIN PUBS! But to me it was past times OH HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED...

up_the_hampipe

Going to see this tonight. Bit wairy but mostly looking forward to it. It's got a heap of good reviews but the few negatives seem to have possibly confirmed my worries.

George Oscar Bluth II

It's good fun. Enjoyed it a lot more than I did Hot Fuzz first time, but I've since seen that again and it went up in my estimation so who knows?

I really liked
Spoiler alert
how easily the aliens gave up when confronted with the supremely irritating Gary King. A world with him in it is not worth bothering with, I agree.
[close]

The ending
Spoiler alert
was properly bleak though, and they never fully dealt with the idea that their pub crawl literally did lead to the world's end. We're really supposed to just go "haha, cornetto" and forget about it? Really?
[close]

up_the_hampipe

This one isn't really long like Hot Fuzz, right? I enjoyed Fuzz but I got so frustrated in the cinema by the time Angel came back to the village all boss like.

Jack Shaftoe

I really enjoyed it, possibly helped by nearly being same age as Pegg, Frost et al, so all the references/music really hit home. Occurred to me later it really felt like a 2000AD story in film form, particularly
Spoiler alert
Tharg's Future Shocks.
[close]

Rosumund Pike woman was great, enjoyed her lack of swearing compared to the others, and just hearing the occasional 'Crumbs!' in the background every now and then.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 24, 2013, 04:31:10 PM
This one isn't really long like Hot Fuzz, right? I enjoyed Fuzz but I got so frustrated in the cinema by the time Angel came back to the village all boss like.

I didn't think so, felt like just the right length to me - there is an epilgue-y sort of bit, but it feels right to me, rather than being another tacked on ending (although the one in Hot Fuzz was totally a homage to that sort of Michael Bay film, so I felt I could give it a pass tbh).

EDIT: actually Angel coming back wasn't the bit I was thinking of, rather the 'he's not dead after all' bit. That last action sequence which was deliberately one too many, anyway.

SteveDave

I did like the way the soundtrack would incorporate the mobile phone interference whenever
Spoiler alert
a robot was around.
[close]

dik-dugga-duk-dugga-duk-dugga-duk etc

up_the_hampipe

Great film! Enjoyed it much more than Hot Fuzz. Much deeper than I was ready for too. Very well written and performed all round.

Ignatius_S

I thoroughly enjoyed it – interesting to see Frost having to deliver a greater range and felt he did a great job. Best of the three films for me.

Quote from: icehaven on July 23, 2013, 07:56:06 PM
What was with Reece Shearsmith and Nathan Barley's characters too? It felt as if they might have had a lot more scenes/more of a role that got cut for some reason... Seemed odd to give recognisable faces cameo type parts, then not actually give them anything at all to do....

I suspect that it was just casting mates in cameo roles – Burns co-starred with Frost in the BBC sketch show, Man Stroke Woman and for me, Shearsmith's role kinda reminded me of his one in Spaced.

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on July 24, 2013, 04:33:33 PM...Rosumund Pike woman was great, enjoyed her lack of swearing compared to the others, and just hearing the occasional 'Crumbs!' in the background every now and then.

Yup, totally agree with that.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 25, 2013, 03:11:10 PM
Shearsmith's role kinda reminded me of his one in Spaced.

which included the best delivery of a sarcastic line ever http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY8311Q1KJ8

Vitalstatistix

In Shaun the horror elements dovetail perfectly with - and often accentuate - the comedy and character stuff. In World's End I feel the horror elements are utterly crap and only detract from the charming, funny and utterly engrossing set up. After the toilet scene it was downhill and fast. About on a par with the equally overlong and underfunny Hot Fuzz and a million miles away from Spaced and Shaun. Wish Pegg would just do a character study and fuck off the supernaturals I reckon he's got it in him.

Vodka Margarine

Three out of five. Which is ok, given that I'd award Hot Fuzz 3/5 and Shaun 4/5.

Not a controversial view, but after
Spoiler alert
the initial denouement with the droids and the 'giant lamp'
[close]
(which I actually thought was very clever), the
Spoiler alert
'endings' felt incredibly shoehorned-in and the rapidity at which they arrived where they did with each character was rather shoddy
[close]
, almost as if they could've done with an extra half hour or at least fifteen minutes to show their working. Which would've made the film too long. I dunno. I just think the loose ends could've been tied up much more neatly.

Spoiler alert
"You're just drinking.... rain"
[close]
got the biggest laugh from me, oddly.

Jawaka

I was a bit disappointed. I've been a huge fan of Spaced since it was first on, Shaun of the Dead is good but in my opinion lacks the re-watchability that Hot Fuzz has. Out of the three films, Hot Fuzz is easily my favourite.

Didn't go in with high hopes, but still wanted it to be good (was unsure what to make of the trailer).
Will spoiler the rest of this.

Spoiler alert
I guess you were meant to feel sorry for Simon Pegg's character, but were you meant to like him? While I found bits funny, there were parts which I'm not sure were meant to be funny just not to me. Exaggerated response to 'I'll have a water please' as an example. Rosamund Pike didn't really have a part, but in a way the same was done with Jessica Stevenson in Shaun of the Dead.

I liked the cast, but there wasn't enough of the cast. Which ok, they didn't need major parts, but if i think about it, you could have removed most of them and the film would have worked pretty much the same.

As someone else has said, maybe some stuff was cut. I thought that it's possibly a lot was cut due to what I've only recently read about critics etc saying Hot Fuzz was too long. But looking at the run time of each film, there isn't much in it.

Oh and they kind of got Pegg/Frost to switch roles in a way, didn't they? Can't make my mind up about that.
[close]

Not really sure what else to say as I'm not even that sure why I didn't like it, even if they are the reasons, they're not very good ones. It's possible my tastes have just changed, but I'd rather think I've just missed something, and watching it again may improve it.

Ronnie the Raincoat

I really enjoyed it, but without finding it very funny.  The only bits that gave me a proper massive laugh were
Spoiler alert
the Cornetto bit and Nick Frost saying they hadn't any other plans so fuck it
[close]
/ I found Gary's character surprisingly affecting but also utterly hateful, difficult to watch at times because of it. I agree with whoever said Martin Freeman's character was very underused. I also wonder
Spoiler alert
at the start, when Gary is in his therapy session and wearing jogging bottoms, does that mean he started dressing like a teenager again after that?
[close]

lipsink

lipsink

Quote from: Jawaka on July 26, 2013, 04:03:20 PM
Spoiler alert
I guess you were meant to feel sorry for Simon Pegg's character, but were you meant to like him? While I found bits funny, there were parts which I'm not sure were meant to be funny just not to me.
[close]

Spoiler alert
I couldn't work out if the scene where Pegg's character thinks he's getting sex in the toilets was meant to be funny or not. It came across as creepy and a bit depressing.
[close]

I did enjoy the film though.
Spoiler alert
And I thought the epilogue was great, the one for Pegg's character I found strangely moving.
[close]

BlodwynPig

The Cornetto bit was unfunny. I believe it has something to do with the trilogy. Fuck that, was it more a case of ... "ah!!! they got the reference in, I was waiting for that bit! Snigggggger".

BlodwynPig

"No, it was good, I liked it"....good one hampipe. Could you put further opinions here, where they belong?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It just doesnt work a a film. The setup is fine and everything that follows just gets in the way. Unlike SOTD they arent able to tie in a series of redemptive stories and it just ends up a confused mess. The character development is paper thin and the premise isn't as good.

It's well paced and doesn't outstay it's welcome and the action is fun. But there are about half the amount of jokes you'd expect for a comedy.

Nick Frost carries it actually, he really impressed me. That bit where he casually walks out of the pub smashing through the glass was a mini triumph of physical comedy, especially after nailing quite a wordy setup.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 27, 2013, 10:54:29 PM
"No, it was good, I liked it"....good one hampipe. Could you put further opinions here, where they belong?

It got the biggest laugh from me and the rest of the cinema. I thought it was a nice way to do it, as opposed to the previous films.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just remembered another good bit of Frost physical comedy getting caught between wanting to apologize for the knockadoor run needing to leg it from the angry man.

Overall not satisying enough, the two features of the film didnt meld very well. It had its moments though.

imitationleather

Thought it was great until the robots turned up and it had a top soundtrack that's making me put on a lot of tunes I've not listened to for ages. Just as I expected it to be, basically.