Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:19:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Steam Summer Getaway Sale

Started by Ignatius_S, July 11, 2013, 09:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcbpete

Quote from: The Region Legion on July 13, 2013, 01:06:20 PM
System Shock 2 not very far away from the magic £1.74 mark...
Does anyone know if the Steam people 'update' the games to make them compatible on modern OS / video-card setups like the folks at Good Old Games do ?

Quote from: mcbpete on July 13, 2013, 01:32:59 PM
Does anyone know if the Steam people 'update' the games to make them compatible on modern OS / video-card setups like the folks at Good Old Games do ?

In regards to System Shock 2, yes. It was released a couple months ago and would have been made to run on modern computers. You'll be fine.
The GOG one comes pre-modded too with a few fan-mods that patch a lot of the bugs and such, if I remember correctly. I'd assume the Steam version's the same too.

eluc55

Anyone got any recommendations for a cool dogfighting game, using either jets or cool spaceships whizzing around. None of this second world war rubbish. That's done with, man. I'd like to buy one during the sale.   

Ignatius_S

Quote from: eluc55 on July 13, 2013, 02:34:53 PM
Anyone got any recommendations for a cool dogfighting game, using either jets or cool spaceships whizzing around. None of this second world war rubbish. That's done with, man. I'd like to buy one during the sale.

Off the top of my head, for the space ones, X3 and Star Conflict are both on Steam - the latter game is free to play mulitplayer, so ignore if you're looking for single player; the former is a space combat and trading sim. I would recommend checking out Star Citizen, incidentally - it's not out for a while but I have high hopes.

If you're interested in a single-player game, which is just straight space combat, I think you'd be better off looking outside of Steam - it's not a genre that's had much love in recent years.

Can't help with the plane one.

Gavin M

At 6pm Hitman Absolution is going to be a fiver (for eight hours).

Jamie Oliver is fat

That makes it only about £5 over priced

eluc55

Oh, girl, please. It's not a patch on the old ones, but its still great fun once you get used to it.

Quote from: The Region Legion on July 13, 2013, 01:06:20 PM
System Shock 2 not very far away from the magic £1.74 mark...

AND THERE IT IS! Purchased.

vrailaine

So I bought Fez and Dear Esther there. Pretty much assuming Dear Esther will work because Half-Life 2 did.

Thursday

Lost my debit card so I can't take advantage of this at the moment. Devastated.

Lieutenant Longstay

Ace Combat sounds like might be worth a look. It's just come in a flash sale at 70% off.

Jamesieab

Quote from: Thursday on July 14, 2013, 05:37:48 PM
Lost my debit card so I can't take advantage of this at the moment. Devastated.
They take paypal.

eluc55

Quote from: Lieutenant  Longstay on July 14, 2013, 06:20:24 PM
Ace Combat sounds like might be worth a look. It's just come in a flash sale at 70% off.

Just brought that. Thanks for the advice, folks. 

I've brought so many games in the last three days. A years worth of gaming, all for the cost of a night out.

Thursday

Quote from: Jamesieab on July 14, 2013, 08:11:32 PM
They take paypal.

I tried, but it doesn't work because my paypal uses the card I've had to cancel.

Quote from: eluc55 on July 14, 2013, 08:32:00 PM
Just brought that. Thanks for the advice, folks. 

I've brought so many games in the last three days. A years worth of gaming, all for the cost of a night out.

BOUGHT. FUCKING BOUGHT. Or are you, in fact, Gabe Newell and you are just letting us know that you have provided us with many games in the last three days, and then backing up your fabulous sale with a snappy tagline? If so, KUDOS sir. KUDOS to you.

But you fucking aren't, so don't let that SHIT happen again.

SHIT OFF WITH THAT

eluc55

Dude, stop thinking, start feeling.

glitch

I'm so glad a lot of these games aren't available on Mac. Managed to keep it to just a £15 spend.

I've not even spent £10 yet, which I'm very pleased about. I considered Tomb Raider but figured I was very unlikely to get into it considering I couldn't even push myself through Bioshock Infinite or Far Cry 3 recently. Got about half way through on both and hit that "right, so that's basically the whole experience of this game now..." moment and just stopped.

Can I recommend Max Payne 3 to anyone who hasn't played it and enjoyed the first two games though? It's very true to the originals whilst still bringing it to a new place instead of just rehashing it.

eluc55

Right, I reckon that's me done. I've spent £70.00 in total, and b(r)ought all the games I could need for the next year and a half. 

Just Cause 2
Hotline Miami
Deus Ex (Special Edition)
Deus Ex: Human revolution
Resident Evil 6
Spoiler alert
(yeah, yeah, I know. But I'm the only person in the world that liked Resi 5, so I'm willing give it a go)
[close]
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
Dishonoured
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
Assassin's Creed 3
Bioshock Infinite

onthebeach

Some games I fancy like Still Life but I run the gauntlet as to whether they'll work. I've had the odd issue with stuff just not working on Steam.

Got Dishonoured, Psychonauts and Darwinia so far. Tempted by Football Manager at that price but I MUST NOT GIVE IN. My playing time on the last one I got is logged at 645 hours or 26 days. Granted I left it running in the background sometimes but reading that makes me weep.

Quote from: The Region Legion on July 16, 2013, 02:59:54 PM
Can I recommend Max Payne 3 to anyone who hasn't played it and enjoyed the first two games though? It's very true to the originals whilst still bringing it to a new place instead of just rehashing it.

I picked it up as well in the Steam sale. I played it when it first came out on Xbox, but always remembered that as being one of the most visually impressive games I've ever played and wanted to run it at full specs now I've got a good enough PC. Still looks fantastic and the gameplay is still incredibly fun. I remember being ultimately disappointed when it first came out, as I was such a huge fan of the other two. Think the problem is that it never lets you explore and have a breather. The other ones had heaps of hidden stuff you could explore and things you could interact with, and just lots of freedom to walk around the areas. The cutscenes sort of bridge everything in this, and only really give you a lot of control when you're killing guys. Needs to balance out the constant highs with some lows and peaceful moments to juxtapose the more exciting bits.   

That said, killing guys in this is insanely good fun and I enjoy experimenting with encounters. Gives me hope for GTA 5's shooting, since it looks like they've just taken the shooting mechanics directly from this. I also picked up that Rogue Legacy in the sales. It's good. Basically Castlevania but a rogue-like, with procedurally generated castles. You go in, going through randomised rooms, aiming to defeat all the bosses. Similar to Binding of Isaac, FTL etc.

But what makes this different is that when your character dies, you get to choose from one of three children of that character. They've all got their own classes and stats, but they've also got randomised traits and weird quirks. Some may have Alzheimers, Near-sightedness, baldness, Gigantism, etc. And even combinations of multiple ones.
Most of which have effects on the gameplay. They've got a demo on the website if you're interested in giving it a look.

http://www.roguelegacy.com/

I'm playing it sporadically, and I'm enjoying it, but it's not quite scratching the same insanely compulsive itch that I had for FTL. But I think that comes down to what kind of gameplay you prefer.

madhair60

Quote from: eluc55 on July 17, 2013, 12:41:25 AMI'm the only person in the world that liked Resi 5

No, you're not.  Resi 5 was a hugely enjoyable game.  It just wasn't as good as Resi 4, and to the gaming community that means it's no better than shit on their shoe.

Consignia

Resident Evil 5 was really popular amongst neighbourhood watchmen from Florida for some reason.

Thursday

I don't really get the sense that RE5 is hated, it's just a big step down and could  have easily been much better. The same is true of RE6, although that really has come in for much harsher criticism.

Anyway my new debit card has arrived and I've got System Shock 2 and Orcs Must Die 2

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: madhair60 on July 17, 2013, 09:28:22 AM
No, you're not.  Resi 5 was a hugely enjoyable game.  It just wasn't as good as Resi 4, and to the gaming community that means it's no better than shit on their shoe.
I hated it. When my AI buddy got trapped behind a wall for the third time in half an hour, then wandered off to get killed no matter what I did, I got bored of it. Either make a 1-player game, or don't, but that halfway house was bullshit.

Thursday

I did hate that I didn't discover that you could switch Sheva into different AI modes until halfway through. I couldn't understand why she was hoarding ammo and only using handgun bullets and running away to look for more handgun bullets when she ran out. And as Yahtzee said an inventory system that means your wearing armor in a pocket in your armor.

vrailaine

So that Super Hexagon game is kinda brilliant, but I'm awful at it and the controls for PC are maybe not right. Only getting to the 20 second mark of the first difficulty setting.

mikeyg27

One piece of advice that I'd give is to try on a higher difficulty setting for a bit, then drop down to easy again. Everything will seem much slower. I've only achieved Hexagon (60 seconds)on Easy so far, though I've come so goddamn fucking close many times on the level above. It really is a moreish game.