Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:36:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The A.V. Club on the Brass Eye "Paedogeddon!" controversy

Started by alcoholic messiah, July 17, 2013, 05:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcoholic messiah

Brass Eye's "Paedogeddon!" inflamed the U.K. - but was that the point?

QuoteI thought for sure the rapper was supposed to be Eminem, not Fred Durst, although the combination of music and clothing suggests a hybrid of the pair.

I too thought that JLb-8 owed more to Eminem than Fred Durst. Is there something I've missed in the portrayal that unambiguously references Durst?

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: alcoholic messiah on July 17, 2013, 05:42:31 PM
I too thought that JLb-8 owed more to Eminem than Fred Durst. Is there something I've missed in the portrayal that unambiguously references Durst?

The backwards red cap. That was pretty much Durst's signature at that time. Otherwise, you're correct, it was entirely Eminem.

up_the_hampipe

The look was Fred Durst, the musical/lyrical style was Eminem.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 17, 2013, 08:16:46 PM
The look was Fred Durst, the musical/lyrical style was Eminem.

Yup.  And "Nu-Ass" is a play on "Nu-Metal", which is what Limp Bizkit were.  Sort of.

neveragain

Further to the Bizkit, you can also see reference to a band called Damp Karpit on the fleetingly-shown magazine cover.

Retinend

Just like Nathan Barley, the special seems like the best thing ever when people recall it and casually drop reminders about all the stuff that happens.

J-L B8 is a good representation of the special. Inventive lyrics, highly recognisable, but the satirical point seems to only explain half of it. It's satirizing... sexual double standards when it comes to pop stars? Like how the sexual exploits of Led Zeppelin are more acceptable than the sexual exploits of your neighbor? In any case, if you're laughing then it's half out of shock. And the almighty disyllable "satire" doesn't really do the whole job of cleansing the special of its edginess because the satirical targets are various and scattershot. For instance, in the JL B8 sketch, "the media" suddenly stops being the bad guy for a moment.

MojoJojo

Wouldn't the satirical point be that the media doesn't/didn't crucify pop acts that sexualise children - e.g Britney Spears. Don't really know if there is any of that in the specific music being targetted though.

I can see the point that it's more focussed on satirising the music than anything else though.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 13, 2013, 03:38:07 PM
Wouldn't the satirical point be that the media doesn't/didn't crucify pop acts that sexualise children - e.g Britney Spears. Don't really know if there is any of that in the specific music being targetted though.

I can see the point that it's more focussed on satirising the music than anything else though.

It's the same joke as Fur Q, but with sex rather than violence.

Retinend

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 13, 2013, 03:38:07 PM
Wouldn't the satirical point be that the media doesn't/didn't crucify pop acts that sexualise children - e.g Britney Spears.

But in the whole show the "media" is the fake current affairs show, Brass Eye, itself. And the show is "investigating" JL B8 skeptically.

I don't think that the satire is very discriminating, at least in this part. I think that Morris saw Ice T, Eminen, Durst as a bunch of creeps, simply. "Morris" and "media" go together a lot, but then again he also had it out for Jilly Cooper's "Animals in War."

El Unicornio, mang

I thought it was more trying to make a point that people (including children) will look up to anyone who is popular, and buy their records by the millions, regardless of what their lyrics say or how they behave in their daily lives. That coupled with the whole thing of venues being crammed with 13-year olds wetting themselves to the sight of grown men (Marc Bolan, David Bowie, Mick Jagger, Elvis, or whoever) gyrating and using suggestive lyrics.