Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:50:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

the zero theorem - new gilliam film

Started by acrow, July 20, 2013, 10:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acrow

here's a trailer for the new gilliam film, the zero theorem. some naughty person seems to have put it online without permission, as evidenced by the "NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION" watermark in the middle of the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqstYTuvbcs

looks traditionally gilliamishly ambitious. definitely seems like something that would benefit from being seen at the cinema. might be shit though.

what do you think?

Mr_Simnock

Looks quite interesting, might go and see it when it/if it comes out.

Blumf

I'm cautiously optimistic. Is it really slated for this year?

chocky909

Looks great. Like Brazil meets Pi meets The Fountain.

Noodle Lizard

Looks like a rough trailer, maybe that's why it's not intended for distribution.

I can't think of anything he's done that I haven't at least liked.  'Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus' got a pretty lifeless reception, but I'd probably put it up there with the best of decade.  He's one of the few genuinely imaginative filmmakers still making movies, at least in and around the mainstream.

His career does all seem to be leading towards his long-desired adaptation of 'Don Quixote', but now Johnny Depp has effectively put a stop to that.  Ugh, don't even get me started on that hideous cunt.

acrow

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 21, 2013, 11:56:32 PM
Looks like a rough trailer, maybe that's why it's not intended for distribution.

I can't think of anything he's done that I haven't at least liked.

well yeah, the end of the trailer says "now in post-production" so i don't think we were supposed to see anything for a while.

the only thing he's done which i absolutely hated was the brothers grimm. agree with you about parnassus. and i really really liked tideland.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: acrow on July 22, 2013, 12:12:15 AM
well yeah, the end of the trailer says "now in post-production" so i don't think we were supposed to see anything for a while.

the only thing he's done which i absolutely hated was the brothers grimm. agree with you about parnassus. and i really really liked tideland.

Ehh, actually I forgot about 'The Brothers Grimm'.  Definitely a low point, but not the worst thing ever.

'Tideland' is weird because I found it seriously depressing the first time I watched it, so much so that I avoided it for a while.  Then watching it again a few years later I found it pretty uplifting until the end where she gets
Spoiler alert
"rescued"
[close]
.  Fuck knows how that works.

Zetetic

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 21, 2013, 11:56:32 PM
now Johnny Depp has effectively put a stop to that.  Ugh, don't even get me started on that hideous cunt.
I'm afraid I must - what's this about?

Steven

I thought Dr Parnassus was an unmitigated disaster, maybe because of Ledger dying I dunno, but it seemed like a CGI mess with no real storyline. It took me ages to even bother watching it because the title reminded me of something like:

I do like most of Gilliam's other films though, Brazil was robbed from the Oscars, but he does tend to go overboard at every turn so the studios getting involved all the time is sort of inevitable. 12 Monkeys is great, and I'm sure the studio lumped him with Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt, but the film still works and I found the ending cry-worthy even! The couple who wrote the script did an amazing job developing it from the French short it was based on.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Zetetic on July 22, 2013, 12:39:16 AM
I'm afraid I must - what's this about?

I'll try and keep it short:

As most people know, Gilliam tried to make Don Quixote around 2000 with Johnny Depp in the co-leading role.  For numerous reasons it fell through, all documented in the brilliant 'Lost In La Mancha'.

Several times over the years Gilliam's tried to start it up again, but hasn't been successful.  At least one of these failed attempts was due to Johnny Depp's schedule on the Pirates sequels being too demanding, and as recently as 2009 Johnny had this to say:

Quote from: Johnny Derp[Gilliam and I] have talked about it. But to be honest, the thing about Terry...I love Terry, and I'd do anything the guy wants to do. But with Quixote...my dance card is pretty nutty for the next couple of years. So I'd hate to put him in a position – or ask to be in a position – where he'd have to wait for me. That would be wrong. But also...I feel like we went there and tried something, and, whatever it was – the elements and all the things that got up underneath us – were there and happened and were documented well in that film 'Lost in La Mancha.' So I don't know if it's right for me to go back there. I don't know if it's right for Terry to, but if he wants to...

And then, at the end of last year, lo and behold ... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/07/johnny-depp-revives-don-quixote_n_2259349.html ... Johnny Depp signs a deal with Disney to make Don Quixote with his own production company, with Gore Verbinski slated to direct, effectively obliterating Gilliam's chances of getting his version greenlit in the foreseeable future as he can hardly compete with a Disney/Depp collaboration, especially without the starpower of ... well ... Depp.

As far as I know, Gilliam hasn't said much about it except for this:

Quote from: Terry GilliamAhhhh – no. We're gonna have to sort this out. I was busy and then suddenly I saw this. I've written him a letter – we'll see what comes of it. Now – I think – I don't know what he has in mind, but I've got my own version.

... which makes it seem as though Depp didn't even inform Gilliam he was considering it, let alone ask permission - which would seem like the right thing to do especially considering Depp knew first-hand how important the project was to him.

Sorry, I kept it as short as I could.

tl;dr - Just one of the many reasons why Johnny Depp is an utterly irredeemable cunt.

momatt

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 22, 2013, 01:02:57 AMJohnny Depp signs a deal with Disney to make Don Quixote with his own production company, with Gore Verbinski slated to direct, effectively obliterating Gilliam's chances of getting his version greenlit in the foreseeable future as he can hardly compete with a Disney/Depp collaboration

Wow, I didn't know that.  Depp's always seemed pretty likeable to me, but do this to a 'friend' is massively cuntish.
Whatever Gilliam gets up to in the future will be great anyway.

Jerzy Bondov

Urgh. What sort of fucking universe is this where Gore Verbinski gets to make Terry Gilliam's long-time pet project instead of him?

Zero Theorum looks amazing

Sam

Depp really torched his acting career and pissed away all his good will and credibility, didn't he?

He spent years trying to shake off having a vacuous image, trying to be more than a pretty boy, being in interesting films,  only to use his fame and influence to....er.....have a vacuous image, be a pretty boy and appear in sludge.

Pirates is where the rot set in. What possessed someone who once chose to work with Kusturica, Jarmusch and Gilliam to work not once but countless times with Gore Vervinski? Jesus wept. Look at all the other pretty boys and what they've done. Pitt makes films like Jesse James and Tree of Life. His old co-star Di Caprio has developed serious acting chops.

Depp has disappeared into his own arse and that story about Gilliam is sickening. He has enough money and clout to give one the most imaginative directors in history a chance to work genuine magic. Pitt worked for fuck all with Dominik and Malick, for the joy of letting those films get made. What a slap in the face to Gilliam and what a total fucking sell out hack cunt Depp is for this.

Dr Parmassus was absolutely ace, by the way - criminally underrated.

Noodle Lizard

The annoying thing is that there are plenty of stories of Depp being a total tit like this, and yet people (himself included) still act as if he's the most talented yet down-to-earth A-lister there is.  He's not, he's a total shit.  And I used to love him as an actor, and even liked his one-off writer/director role.

I keep trying to figure out whether there's something I've missed with this latest fucking over of Gilliam, but there really isn't - it is completely as bad as it sounds.  I suppose I've got to give credit to Gilliam for reacting so calmly, but really I'd admire him a lot more if he shat through Depp's letterbox.

Bleeding Kansas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23400357

Maybe seeing him be lazily apologetic about the new Lone Ranger film will help you all feel better about him...

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Bleeding Kansas on July 23, 2013, 07:27:50 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23400357

Maybe seeing him be lazily apologetic about the new Lone Ranger film will help you all feel better about him...

"Lazy" really is the right word, isn't it?

"Are you upset that it hasn't performed as well as expected in the United States"
"No because I don't have no expectations but other people do" - read, "No, I got paid the same $10+million regardless".

He's still doing the weird half-Irish Hunter Thompson accent, I see.

Nuclear Optimism

I've never warmed to Johnny Depp. Yeah, he was very good in a few films (Ed Wood, Fear and Loathing), but something about him always puts me off liking the guy on a personal level. Just a bit too much of a show-off, just a bit too smug (when acting at least, he seems very reticent in interviews). I know this is all very vague, because I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe deep down he just reminds me of someone I can't stand but can't remember. I can't stand Tim Burton either, for what it's worth.

Plus he's a fan of Bansky and owns some of his work, and I maintain that anyone who likes Banksy is an automatic twat. And I don't even mind that women go on and on about how good looking he is; they say the same thing about Brad Pitt and I don't dislike him, so it's not down to petty male jealousy.

And without wanting to sound like Mark Kermode, he's really shit in those Pirates films. We've all heard the story that he showed up, decided not to play it the way the studio wanted, stole the show from the romantic leads, and that Verbinski the useless hack wasn't strong enough to reel him in. The film made money, so they gave him free reign to do whatever he liked in the subsequent films. So you're left with a hideously self-indulgent performance that's not half as funny or clever as he thinks it is. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind scenery chewing performances. I like Ian MacDiarmid in Star Wars. I like William Shatner at his hammiest. But Depp's turn is that of a smug git. You're watching a performance that hasn't been directed. And people rave about the fact he went in a different direction from what was required as if that was good thing, as if he wasn't going to be kowtowed by the suits, as if if appearing in that franchise wasn't selling out no matter what way he played it. But try explaining that to a normal person, and they'll give you hell.

When I first heard that story about the Don Quixote back-stabbing I felt like I'd been vindicated. He really is a cunt after all, and no amount of showing up to a school dressed like a pirate in the most blatant publicity stunt imaginable is going to change that.

Kudos to Gilliam for being so diplomatic in his response to the betrayal. A class act.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Nuclear Optimism on July 23, 2013, 05:28:28 PMPlus he's a fan of Bansky and owns some of his work, and I maintain that anyone who likes Banksy is an automatic twat. And I don't even mind that women go on and on about how good looking he is; they say the same thing about Brad Pitt and I don't dislike him, so it's not down to petty male jealousy.

I don't think Depp's a Banksy fan.  I think you're getting him mixed up with ... er ... Brad Pitt, who famously bought a bunch of his stuff and is credited partially with his international notoriety.

QuoteHe really is a cunt after all, and no amount of showing up to a school dressed like a pirate in the most blatant publicity stunt imaginable is going to change that.

I wrote a paragraph about that but it sounded a bit too mean.  But yeah, more or less.

And leaving his long-term partner, mother of his children, after fucking around with Amber Heard and, by several accounts, a slew of other women when he has openly and consistently blamed his parents' divorce for his drink-and-drugs heck.  Of course none of us know the details, but it seems like the move of a cunt to me.

And living in France for the best part of ten years, constantly moaning about how dreadful America is and how he couldn't live anywhere else, before immediately packing his bags and running back to America because he discovered that he might have to become an officially permanent resident in France and pay income tax.  He said, and I quote, "I'd essentially be working for free". 

I could probably give a full three-hour lecture on why Depp's a cunt, but I won't.  Unless the universities explicitly ask.

Nuclear Optimism

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 23, 2013, 05:46:56 PM
I don't think Depp's a Banksy fan.

I've just had a quick look, an according to this Daily Mail article:

Depp is an avid collector: he owns Jack Kerouac's typewriter, and a recent addition to his art collection is a Banksy called How Do You Like Your Eggs?, depicting a woman wearing a burka but also a novelty apron.

'I don't know him, but we correspond via email,' he says. 'And I've bought some of his paintings. The guy's a genius.'

Touché about Brad Pitt though. I still don't dislike him as much as Depp for some reason. I'm going to convince myself that he really hates Banksy, but that Angelina loves him, so Brad just has to go along with it. Yes, that'll do.

QuoteAnd leaving his long-term partner, mother of his children, after fucking around with Amber Heard and, by several accounts, a slew of other women when he has openly and consistently blamed his parents' divorce for his drink-and-drugs heck.  Of course none of us know the details, but it seems like the move of a cunt to me.

And living in France for the best part of ten years, constantly moaning about how dreadful America is and how he couldn't live anywhere else, before immediately packing his bags and running back to America because he discovered that he might have to become an officially permanent resident in France and pay income tax.  He said, and I quote, "I'd essentially be working for free".

Ooh. I love a bit of celebrity gossip (or "goss" as I believe the kids are calling it these days). I'd heard about him allegedly knobbing Amber Heard, but never knew about other women, or that tax business. Interesting stuff.

Glad I'm not the only one to be unconvinced by the school appearance.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Nuclear Optimism on July 23, 2013, 06:27:46 PM
Ooh. I love a bit of celebrity gossip (or "goss" as I believe the kids are calling it these days). I'd heard about him allegedly knobbing Amber Heard, but never knew about other women, or that tax business. Interesting stuff.

Him giving the high-and-mighty to Amber Heard is verified, and she's now his "official squeeze" (to use Heat Magazine lingo).  The other women theory is speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me.  I'm in Hollywood, I've heard things, I'm in the inner circle, okay?  He also frequently hangs out with notorious degenerate creep Steven Tyler, fuck knows what they get up to during their late night lock-ins at the Pink Taco on Sunset Blvd.

kidsick5000

Not to ruin the sharks' fun now that the water's been thoroughly chummed, but Gilliam doesn't seem particularly bothered that Depp's creating his own Quixote, just more concerned that there isn't a crossover in stories.

As for Depp and tax, American citizens still have to pay US income tax even if they're living abroad. Can't blame a guy for not wanting to pay tax twice.

As for acting choices, man... Too many payday films over the past decade. And can someone rescue him from Tim Burton. I like him in Pirates, but this goofy acting thing he's done in all the Burton films, Corpse Bride being most the natural, is beyond grating.

That said, he's still a very watchable presence on screen. Really not that bad.

And as Noodle Lizard said...
QuoteOf course none of us know the details,
Give me the proof before hanging him high.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 23, 2013, 07:30:18 PM
Not to ruin the sharks' fun now that the water's been thoroughly chummed, but Gilliam doesn't seem particularly bothered that Depp's creating his own Quixote, just more concerned that there isn't a crossover in stories.

He's a gentleman, no one's denying that. 

QuoteAs for Depp and tax, American citizens still have to pay US income tax even if they're living abroad. Can't blame a guy for not wanting to pay tax twice.

He could do what Terry Gilliam[nb]topic![/nb] did and switch citizenships - if he really couldn't imagine raising his children in America as he had often said.  But being the highest-paid actor in Hollywood, it's fucking cunty to say that he may as well be working for free if he has to pay tax in both places he lives.  Heaven forbid he should only get $4 million for a month's work instead of $20 million!

He's set to make 60 million for the fifth 'Pirates' film.  For fuck's sake.

Bad Ambassador

Amber Heard is also an objectivist, so that makes everything 10 times worse.

Lord Mandrake

It's all a bit harsh, Lost in la Mancha was a much better result than the mental adaptation Gilliam intended. Depp was somekind of advertising exec who somehow winds up as Sancho? The pirates films are enjoyable enough and stealing Orlando Blooms thunder is no crime. He was very good recently in Public enemies and for Donnie Brasco he'll always have my respect. Just wish he'd do more challenging roles because he can actually act.

Lord Mandrake

It's all a bit harsh, Lost in la Mancha was a much better result than the mental adaptation Gilliam intended. Depp was somekind of advertising exec who somehow winds up as Sancho? The pirates films are enjoyable enough and stealing Orlando Blooms thunder is no crime. He was very good recently in Public enemies and for Donnie Brasco he'll always have my respect. Just wish he'd do more challenging roles because he can actually act.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on July 23, 2013, 10:30:50 PM
It's all a bit harsh, Lost in la Mancha was a much better result than the mental adaptation Gilliam intended.

Which we've never seen, and likely never will now thanks in no small part to Depp.

Face it, he's a bastard.

Nuclear Optimism

Judging by the few scenes of the Don Quixote film we see in Lost in La Mancha, Depp's performance in it is rubbish.

momatt

Quote from: Nuclear Optimism on July 23, 2013, 05:28:28 PMPlus he's a fan of Bansky and owns some of his work, and I maintain that anyone who likes Banksy is an automatic twat.

I don't mind Banksy[nb]I knew about him before he was cool, naturally[/nb], but I really hate people who think he's the best artist/streetartist of all time.  When actually he's just the only artist they can think of.
I've met far too many of these idiots.

Phil_A

So this is out on Friday apparently. Has anyone found a cinema that's actually showing it yet? I've had no luck.