Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:31:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

the zero theorem - new gilliam film

Started by acrow, July 20, 2013, 10:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Saw a load of TV ads for it last night, but I'll be damned if I can find a cinema showing it near me.

olliebean

Quote from: Phil_A on March 10, 2014, 09:36:12 AM
So this is out on Friday apparently. Has anyone found a cinema that's actually showing it yet? I've had no luck.

Ah, buggering fuck-shit. I just assumed I'd be able to see it at my local m-plex, but they don't see to have any showings scheduled for it. I'll be pissed the fuck off if I have to miss it because the fucking cinemas would sooner give an extra screen to Need for shitting Speed 3D or some such wank.

The IMDb doesn't seem to think it's on anywhere within 100km of me. Google found no showings in London. Arse.

momatt

Quote from: olliebean on March 10, 2014, 01:09:58 PM
The IMDb doesn't seem to think it's on anywhere within 100km of me. Google found no showings in London. Arse.

This film is being released this week.  Except it's not in any actual cinemas.
So the film is effectively still unreleased.

One to get on Blu-Ray then.

Tuesday

Shitty multiplex website says "this film is coming to a Vue cinema near you soon" but there's no sign of it. Who has Gilliam pissed off?

Blumf

There doesn't even seem to be a UK distributor listed for it on IMDB!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2333804/companycredits#distributors

Somebody paid for a load of TV advert space, but apparently nobody though to arrange any distribution.

momatt

Quote from: Blumf on March 10, 2014, 04:04:21 PM
Somebody paid for a load of TV advert space, but apparently nobody though to arrange any distribution.

You've seen TV adverts for this film?  Surprising.

Blumf

Joy! Check your local cinema's again, the film's finally turned up on the schedules, at least the local Showcase has it now. Still looks like Vue and Odeon are blank.

olliebean

On further inspection, it looks like my local Vue has yet to schedule anything at all for next week, apart from some crappy looking film about a stag do. So that makes me more optimistic that when they get around to it, they'll find time for this in the schedule.

olliebean

They now have times for it, thank goodness, although in the process it's somehow got renamed to "The Zero Theorum," so maybe it's a different film... anyway, Terry Gilliam has a list of cinemas showing it on his website (although he's got the name of my local one wrong): http://terrygilliamweb.com/

Noodle Lizard

Cinema chains just don't think it'll make much money, probably.  Or at least there's other stuff out there that will make more money.  I'm sure the only reason 'Imaginarium' got a sort of big release was because of the Heath Ledger thing - I don't remember 'Tideland' getting much buzz.

Yer Curzons or what-have-you are likely to pick it up, though.

chocky909

Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue are showing it so I might go after work tomorrow or next week.

zomgmouse

Terry Gilliam did a Reddit AMA yesterday, which was pretty cool.

Blumf

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 14, 2014, 05:04:03 AM
Terry Gilliam did a Reddit AMA yesterday, which was pretty cool.

QuoteTerry_Gilliam
When it comes to bowel movements I'm Superman! I have complete control over them!

El Unicornio, mang

He didn't seem like he was calling him a twat, just that he should be using his acting talents for better material.

Noodle Lizard

Depp is a twat.  People will see, soon enough.

Gilliam has shown amazing restraint given how callously Depp fucked him over on the Don Quixote thing.

Steven

What I want to know is with Depp being all chummy with Bruce Robinson, when will he do a remake of Withnail & I starring him in the I part and Russell Brand as Withnail? Would love to see the bizarro world version done on a big budget and the script been run through by a load of LA hacks and pruned of all the jokes like they did with Hitchhiker's Guide. They'd probably set it in the modern day or the fucking future. Depp doing all the monologues in his monotone Hunter S. Thompson voice and Brand improvising around his lines in his own superlative inimitable idiosyncratic improvisation style. Oh, and it would be set in America, OBVIOUSLY.

"I demand to `ave some boozy woozy!"

"Bawbags, I'll swallow it `n run fackin' miles, mate."

"Monty you fackin' cunty-chops!"

"We want the best fackin' wines in the universe, right here, right now, fackin' Manuel!"

At the end they'll probably put some modern Fight Club twist in the plot where Withnail was Marwood the whole time, I'm giving myself chills here[nb](of the douche variety)[/nb].

mothman

"I calls this motherfucker the Compton Carrot."

EDIT: It's now obvious to me: Snoop Dogg for the Danny role...

Steven

And Robin Williams[nb]Or Nathan Lane[/nb] as Monty, doing his gay voice and wearing a fucking Hawaiian shirt and mincing about doing all the flailing hands stuff.

WE ARE SO GOOD AT FILM.

mothman

No, no, no. Too obvious.

I admit it's difficult. I trapped myself into thinking about whom could portray the role in a proper respectful remake, someone who could capture Monty's desperate sadness and loneliness. Then I remembered that this is the rubbish Hollywood remake which totally misses the point and turns it into a standard gross-out comedy. And there is really only one person who would be about the right age and would be able to perfectly carry off the role of a one-dimensional screaming queen.

As anyone who's had the misfortune to see him pretending to be camp in Bird On A Wire will attest, it could only be... Gibson. Mel, to whatever friends he has left.

Steven

How about Al Pacino as Danny, doing his bad Harry H. Corbett impression like in the Local Stigmatic. Oddly enough as quasi-awful as his performance is that film does give me a twinge of that Withnail & I feeling.

"Say `ello to my little fwend, I calls it the Camberwell cawwot."

But no, I want the worst kind of Hollywood remake where all the wrong choices are made. If they were doing a modern version they would probably cast 50 Cent as Danny or some other rapper turned actor. John Goodman as Monty? Nic Cage as Jake the Poacher, can you imagine what kind of delivery he'd concoct for the "you want working on boy!" line? Oh someone please do a remake, soon!

momatt

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 14, 2014, 09:43:29 PM
He should be using his acting talents for better material.

You could argue that this makes him a twat

Blue Jam

No-one else has seen it yet then? I had problems finding it too- weirdly arthouse cinemas like the Tyneside, the Gala Durham and the Cameo in Edinburgh aren't showing it (yet) but the Empire in Newcastle were so that's where I saw it today. In short, if you're a Gilliam fan you'll enjoy this on some level as it's essentially a Gilliam film about Gilliam films, and mostly about Brazil with the similarities between the two films' plots. I had a lot of fun spotting the references like
Spoiler alert
David Thewlis's character looking like Michael Palin's Jack Lint plus their friendship being "a professional relationship"
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Christoph Waltz with his shaved head and vests looking not unlike Bruce Willis in Twelve Monkeys, plus him wrongly being called Bob, like Bob Railly
[close]

The only problem I had was it dipping in the middle a bit with the character of Bainsley
Spoiler alert
being a total waste of a character- female character as a temptress/love interest- yawn. She had seemed so much more interesting than that and ended up being so nothingy. Bah...
[close]
. Like all Gilliam films it's very dense and merits a few more viewings to take in everything so I'll try and catch it somewhere else in a week's time, if I can find anywhere showing it.

olliebean

SavageHedgehog

Afraid to say I found it slightly underwhelming while I was watching it, and if anything am even less impressed with it in retrospect. It's perfectly watchable with fine performances across the board, but it does absolutely nothing Gilliam (for one) hasn't done before but far better. Also felt cheap and small, I don't think he knows how to get the best out of a low budget, not any now anyway.

olliebean

Well my plan to see it tomorrow has fallen through and I'm betting they won't be showing it next week and I'll have missed my chance to see it on the big screen entirely. Bumsticks. Looks like no showings of Under the Skin either, which is the other film I wanted to see that's out at the moment.

Blumf

I'd try to get into a big screen showing if you can, it's certainly great in terms of visuals. the start especially is crammed full of stuff.

The problem is, I'm struggling to see the point of the film. Somewhat ironic seeing as a lot of it seems to be dealing with nihilism, is it really that simple? But, I don't know, there just didn't seem to be much meat to the story. At the end,
Spoiler alert
was it just Qohen coming to terms with his depression?
[close]
Seemed a bit too easy/slight.

It also seemed to be too afraid to come out from the shadows of Brazil, are we supposed to take the similarities as important?

Practical matters: Went to a 7:30 showing tonight (well Tues), and it was just me and four other people. Not looking good for takings :(

Who wants Terry to do PKD's Ubik, he'd be perfect for that story.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Blumf on March 19, 2014, 01:29:13 AM
Who wants Terry to do PKD's Ubik, he'd be perfect for that story.
If anything I'd want Gilliam to direct 'The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch'. A 'straight' director like Spielberg or Nolan would be good for 'Ubik'.

Blumf

Ugh! Not Spielberg! He sucked the life out of Minority Report. Doubt Nolan would be much cop either.

Give Gilliam Ubik, it'll be a banker, he'd be perfect for it.