Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:04:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Drug Laws

Started by skibz, July 28, 2004, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skibz

Not for dealing, but laws that prosecute the individual user for possession or consumption - good, or bad? Y'see, I've always been of the view that alcohol, nicotine, etc. are all drugs. Addictive, depressive, expensive drugs. Drugs that a lot of people have problems with, take too much of, or even die from. So what is it that makes some legal, but others not? Surely, in the end, it's up to the responsibility of the user to ensure they don't break the law in more serious ways whilst under the influence, in the same way that we are expected not to drive when we've drunk a lot. A lot of people say that illegal narcotics are 'mind-altering' drugs in ways that caffiene, alcohol etc. aren't, but think about it, this isn't true when you consider what the definition of 'drug' actually is:

Quote from: "http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn2.0?stage=2&word=drug&posnumber=1&searchtypenumber=-2&senses=&showglosses=1&showcontexthelp=1"drug -- (a substance that is used as a medicine or narcotic)
      => agent -- (a substance that exerts some force or effect)
          => causal agent, cause, causal agency -- (any entity that causes events to happen)
              => entity -- (that which is perceived or known or inferred to have its own distinct existence (living or nonliving))