Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:28:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films with extremely divisive IMDb ratings

Started by alcoholic messiah, August 01, 2013, 04:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcoholic messiah

Inspired by the discussion of Freddy Got Fingered in this thread, I took a peek at its IMDb user ratings page, and was mildly astounded.

Over 30,000 users have taken the time to place their vote, and more than 40% of them either gave it a '1' or a '10'. For a film that's been rated that many times, it's the most disparate pattern of voting I've seen.

I went looking for some other opinion-dividers, but only Atlas Shrugged: Part I came close. With fewer than 10,000 votes, and a VEQ (Vote Extremity Quotient) of merely 39.5%, it still has some way to go to surpass FGF.

See if you can uncover some more contenders for the crown.

acrow

the only one i've been able to find so far with more than 40% voting either 1 or 10 is the last twilight film, although that's almost definitely down to the battle between intense fans and intense hatred that plays out online. that film has 111,000 odd votes

looking at movie 43, i discovered that of the 32,000 votes, 2933 people voted 10. 9% of the people who saw that film and rated it on imdb thought it was a perfect 10. 2933 people watched that film and said to themselves, "that is as close to perfect as a film can get". 

acrow

just to reiterate.

someone saw movie 43 and thought "now THAT'S comedy".

i've found some films with a much higher VEQ than 40% but they have far fewer votes. family favourite slaughtered vomit dolls has a VEQ of around 61% but it only has 1282 votes and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the director of the film, lucifer valentine, cast all 175 10 votes himself.

Deanjam

Sharknado has 20.8% voting 10/10 and 28.5% voting 1/10. so almost half voting one or the other. Only just under 5000 votes though.

alcoholic messiah

Quote from: acrow on August 01, 2013, 04:48:23 PM
the only one i've been able to find so far with more than 40% voting either 1 or 10 is the last twilight film

Nice one.

Every film in that series has '1' and '10' as the two most popular votes cast, but with more than 110,000 votes and a VEQ of 40.4%, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 is firmly ensconced in second place on the leaderboard.

Quote from: acrow on August 01, 2013, 04:48:23 PM
although that's almost definitely down to the battle between intense fans and intense hatred that plays out online.

Still counts.

Lots of films have a high VEQ immediately after their release, but tend to normalise once they have tens of thousands of votes. I'm pretty sure After Earth and Spring Breakers were way above 40% after a week or two, but they're now down below 30%.

Ordet. I'd probably give it a 7. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048452/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

Interesting gap between the average scores for women under 18 and women 45 and over.

Nuclear Optimism

If I was in charge of IMDb, I'd rig it so that 1 votes and 10 votes were simply not counted, without telling anyone. That way only people giving sensible 2-9 scores would be tallied, and the haters[nb]urgh[/nb]/fanboys[nb]urgh[/nb] would be clicking away at either end, completely unaware that their vote doesn't count.

chocky909

I would assume Punchdrunk Love would be such a film. Lots of angry 1s given by Sandler fans expecting more of his usual schtick.

acrow

i've just looked through a few of the reviews of punch-drunk love and not many of them are like that. there definitely are a couple of "worst sandler movie ever" comments but most people just seem to not like it. maybe a lot of the people who saw it as boring and shit and whatever else they said are in fact die-hard adam sandler fans but they don't really give that impression. a few people say "i liked boogie nights and magnolia but hated this.".

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

As with politics, never underestimate the 'ironic' vote.

Small Man Big Horse

CaB favourite Dare To Believe has 38.5% of people voting it 10/10, and 38.5% voting it 1/10. Only 13 votes in total though, so I guess that doesn't count sadly.

Edit: And it's a tv show. I really should read thread titles properly one of these days.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Nuclear Optimism on August 01, 2013, 07:57:57 PM
If I was in charge of IMDb, I'd rig it so that 1 votes and 10 votes were simply not counted, without telling anyone. That way only people giving sensible 2-9 scores would be tallied, and the haters[1]/fanboys[2] would be clicking away at either end, completely unaware that their vote doesn't count.

This sensible plan gets my vote. Plus maybe if your user name is TwilightFan4Ever you could rig it so that every time that user voted, they'd get a pretty substantial electric shock or maybe their computer could spray them with 8 litres of pressurised sewerage. I understand that the planning and research and effort involved in setting it up would be substantial but I think it would be remiss to dismiss the idea out of hand.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Deanjam on August 01, 2013, 05:04:36 PM
Sharknado has 20.8% voting 10/10 and 28.5% voting 1/10. so almost half voting one or the other. Only just under 5000 votes though.

I don't understand having a strong opinion either way about 'Sharknado'.  It was openly conceived, made and marketed as "the tackiest sci-fi schlock ever", so people pretending that it's just this awful film which somehow got made confuse me a bit.  It's relatively fun to watch, but it deserves no place on any "worst movies ever" list because unlike your 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' or 'The Room', it was made with the intention of getting that accolade which puts it out of the running as far as I'm concerned.

chocky909

Quote from: acrow on August 01, 2013, 08:09:48 PM
i've just looked through a few of the reviews of punch-drunk love and not many of them are like that. there definitely are a couple of "worst sandler movie ever" comments but most people just seem to not like it. maybe a lot of the people who saw it as boring and shit and whatever else they said are in fact die-hard adam sandler fans but they don't really give that impression. a few people say "i liked boogie nights and magnolia but hated this.".

Comments section is more likely to have that kind of thing. I doubt the Sandler fans would post a proper review.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Nuclear Optimism on August 01, 2013, 07:57:57 PM
If I was in charge of IMDb, I'd rig it so that 1 votes and 10 votes were simply not counted, without telling anyone. That way only people giving sensible 2-9 scores would be tallied, and the haters[nb]urgh[/nb]/fanboys[nb]urgh[/nb] would be clicking away at either end, completely unaware that their vote doesn't count.

It's been a while since I regularly posted over there, but I seem to remember that they have some sort of system whereby 1 votes and 10 votes are given less importance. I'm not sure if I just made that up or not though.

vrailaine

Yeah, they had something like that years ago anyways. Lord knows what kind of algorithms they've in place now for figuring out the ratings. You'd have to assume anyone who just gives ones and tens would have their ratings converted to something like threes and sevens.

Nuclear Optimism

They used to allow votes before films got released didn't they, with obvious results, didn't they? So they changed it, only allowing votes after it has been released. So you get thousands of votes on a film that played to an audience of a hundred at some film festival, which technically counts as "released". Maybe they've changed it since then.

They should just scrap the votes system, who gives a shit?