Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,183
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:20:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Started by Alberon, August 02, 2013, 10:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

It is a bit of a half-arsed affair, isn't it? Maybe they cyber on Skype too

checkoutgirl

I'm sorry but I have to admire the ambition of Cameron. Four films in one go is absolutely mental. But what a challenge! People like him are the reason we have the internet and submarines and shit. You might say Avatar is terrible and shit but it was hard to make and cost an absolute bomb at the time and people thought he might have fucked it. But then he pulls a billion dollaredoos out of the jaws of ruin. Say what you like but that's an achievement.

Mango Chimes

I'm excited for these.  The first film was singularly a film that only made sense to see in the cinema, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.  We don't know anything about what he's planning for the rest – we've no reason not to think it'll be exploring other planets and creatures and all sorts.  Whatever Avatar's shortcomings, it wasn't half-arsed as a spectacle.

Shaky

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 20, 2016, 09:26:27 AM
It is a bit of a half-arsed affair, isn't it? Maybe they cyber on Skype too

I'm fairly sure Cameron goes on all those undersea expeditions just so he can secretly Whatsapp pictures of his balls to Sigourney.

greenman

Quote from: Mango Chimes on April 21, 2016, 12:25:03 AM
I'm excited for these.  The first film was singularly a film that only made sense to see in the cinema, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.  We don't know anything about what he's planning for the rest – we've no reason not to think it'll be exploring other planets and creatures and all sorts.  Whatever Avatar's shortcomings, it wasn't half-arsed as a spectacle.

There is I think certainly potential for the world to be expanded into something a lot more interesting with at least some subtlety plus again I would say that Cameron remains one of the best directors of action.

Indeed I think a lot of the reaction to the original was really based on people expecting more from the concept.

Dex Sawash

Just had a 3d memory flashback of being sick of it after 30 minutes and trying to watch without the glasses. It didn't work.

Glebe

Exclusive: Rosa Salazar to Lead 'Battle Angel Alita'.

So Robert Rodriguez is directing now... I haven't actually seen anything Rosa Salazar's in.

Entropy Balsmalch

I thought this was going to be another typical "Isn't Buddha looking fat these days?" thread.

Good work.

Glebe

James Cameron On Why 'Avatar' Needs Three Sequels and Details on an 'Abyss' Blu-ray Release.

I used to have the director's cut of The Abyss on DVD... it was fucking non-anamorphic.

Alberon

Quote from: Glebe on July 26, 2016, 06:24:57 AM
James Cameron On Why 'Avatar' Needs Three Sequels and Details on an 'Abyss' Blu-ray Release.

I used to have the director's cut of The Abyss on DVD... it was fucking non-anamorphic.

I have been waiting for a decent DVD/Blu-Ray release for the best part of twenty years. To be released next year? I'll believe it when I see it.

mobias

The Abyss is basically pretty shit though isn't it? Its one of those movies thats only worth watching if you're aware of what was going behind the scenes during its production. I'm not overly interested in under water exploration or diving so James Cameron's mastarbatory obsession with it passes me by.

Alberon

I've always liked it. More so the original version versus the expanded one.

I rate it much much higher than Avatar which is a big overflowing bucket of arse in my opinion.

Glebe

I actually think The Abyss is kind of underrated. It's not quiet Aliens, but it's still a pretty good movie.

Alberon

The release dates for Avatar have slipped by a couple of years. As Avatar's facebook page has apparently confirmed.

QuoteRevealing the news on social media, the official Avatar page wrote: "Great to be working with the best team in the business.

"Avatar takes flight as we begin concurrent production on four sequels. The journey continues December 18, 2020, December 17, 2021, December 20, 2024 and December 19, 2025!"

I suppose we should be relieved that the number of sequels hasn't increased to five by now.

Johnny Textface

All these can't be about the blue fellas surely. If these are all about the blue fellas I'm out post 2.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on April 22, 2017, 06:14:16 PM
I suppose we should be relieved that the number of sequels hasn't increased to five by now.

Being ironic?  Or genuinely unaware of this?:

QuoteJames Cameron sets release dates for Avatars 2, 3, 4, and 5

After literally years of tinkering, tweaking, theme parks, and general blue-skinned messing around, we've finally got a release date for our return trip to Pandora. James Cameron has announced that Avatar 2 will arrive in theatres in 2020, just a scant 11 years after its predecessor inspired dizzying box office returns and a blazing firestorm of internet argument.

But Cameron—a cinematic ambition addict if ever there was one—didn't just announce one release date for the franchise. (December 18, 2020, by the way.) He also listed release dates for Avatars 3, 4, and 5, which will be arriving in Decembers of 2021, 2024, and 2025. Cameron also revealed that he intends to film all four movies at the same time, with that three-year-gap presumably intended to give the planet's endangered CGI reserves the barest chance to recover from his onslaught.

Edit:  Of course, five films total doesn't amount to five sequels.  I am a dope.

colacentral

I think, hope, and pray that these turn out to be the biggest bombs in history and Cameron's legacy is ruined forever. He must be feeling arrogant after breaking box office records with Titanic and the first Avatar that he can keep making huge financial risks with formulaic shite stories and it will always pay off. People will ask, "how can Disney, a corporation that owns all those Marvel films, Star Wars, and Pixar, have gone bankrupt?" and the answer will be "James Cameron."

biggytitbo

What is taking so long? They must already have the cgi model for the big smurf fellas stored on a harddrive somewhere? Or is he reworking the stories of all 4 films to include a king kong?

Replies From View

I can't believe it's been 8 years since Avatar.  Ways to make yourself feel old #477642

greenman

To be fair I would say that one of the negative aspects of the original for me was that the concept did have a lot more potential to it so I wouldn't write them off entirely although it would need Cameron to turn the clock back a couple of decades and start writing relatively intelligently.

Glebe

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 24, 2017, 07:44:58 AMWhat is taking so long? They must already have the cgi model for the big smurf fellas stored on a harddrive somewhere?

Maybe he put them on a floppy disk but it got lost down the side of a desk or summit.

mothman

I'm struggling to predict the whole plotline over the sequence of films, but I'm guessing it'll initially be:

A2: The Earthers come back because they REALLY want that mineral, and this time they're loaded for giant alien space bear.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on April 24, 2017, 04:16:36 PM
I'm struggling to predict the whole plotline over the sequence of films, but I'm guessing it'll initially be:

A2: The Earthers come back because they REALLY want that mineral, and this time they're loaded for giant alien space bear.

A3: Purple aliens (ends with cliffhanger)

A4:  Purple ones resolution; in their place pop beige aliens, or maybe yellow ones (cliffhanger on them)

A5:  Beige/yellow ones plus purple ones plus blue ones, cross-harmony.  The end OR IS IT!!!!!111

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: colacentral on April 24, 2017, 12:45:01 AM
People will ask, "how can Disney, a corporation that owns all those Marvel films, Star Wars, and Pixar, have gone bankrupt?" and the answer will be "James Cameron."
But Avatar is 20th Century Fox.

Sebastian Cobb

I miss the 70's/Early 80's scifi. You just don't get that sense of brooding menace in the late 80's/90's stuff. As evidenced by the difference between T1 and T2.

colacentral

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 25, 2017, 02:07:02 PM
But Avatar is 20th Century Fox.

Is it? I assumed Disney because Avatar is encroaching on Disney World now. Well, even better if it destroys a major part of the Murdoch empire.

SteveDave

I remember the hoo-hah over Avatar and people in the place I first worked in London having to book tickets to see it months after it was first released.

I've still not seen it. I don't/won't play by your rules.

I think it was someone on here who said even though it's one of the most successful films ever, no-one can come up with a quotable/memorable line of dialogue.

A lot of slashes in this post. POST.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: SteveDave on April 25, 2017, 04:09:36 PM
I remember the hoo-hah over Avatar and people in the place I first worked in London having to book tickets to see it months after it was first released.

I've still not seen it. I don't/won't play by your rules.

I think it was someone on here who said even though it's one of the most successful films ever, no-one can come up with a quotable/memorable line of dialogue.

A lot of slashes in this post. POST.

I wouldn't bother, if it wasn't for the 3d hype wave it was riding on it'd have been completely unremarkable.

Sal Vicuso

I imagine a sequel may appear at some point. I'd be amazed if it went beyond that. Cameron's repetitive hyping of Avatar is the cinematic equivalent of Richard Branson's attempts to prop up interest in Virgin Galactic