Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:32:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Started by Alberon, August 02, 2013, 10:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Josh Brolin Just Went Off About James Cameron And Avatar 2.

QuoteIf I don't want to do Avatar, I'm not going to do Avatar. James Cameron's fucking calling me this name and that name. Whatever. If James Cameron came to me and said, 'Hey, man, why'd you say that?' I'd go, 'Because it happened.'

How dare Josh Brolin turn down James Cameron! The nerve!

Alberon

Time to resurrect this thread one more time. The Avatar sequels that no one really seems to want haven't expanded again, but they may have just got named.

QuoteFor the past few years the four planned follow-ups have simply been referred to as Avatar 2, Avatar 3, Avatar 4 and Avatar 5.

This week however, BBC News has seen documentation regarding future Avatar plans which makes reference to four specific projects. Avatar: The Way of Water, Avatar: The Seed Bearer, Avatar: The Tulkun Rider and Avatar: The Quest for Eywa.

It's always a danger sign to see made up words in the titles.

QuoteLast week, Sigourney Weaver, who stars as Dr Grace Augustine, told the Hollywood Reporter that "we just finished shooting 2 and 3" and that she was now preparing to be "busy doing Avatar 4 and 5".

The four Avatar sequels are due to be released in December 2020, December 2021, December 2024, and December 2025.

Considering how the first sequel was originally due in 2016 I'll believe it when I see it.

saltysnacks

I think having another highest grossing film of all time has scrambled his brains, he probably thinks these are going to be the films to end cinema or something. The arrogance of the man is pretty astounding, who today even really cares about Avatar?

The Roofdog

They're all seed bearers by the time I've finished with them, etc

Bence Fekete

I've revisited Avatar in my gear VR recently and it's still one of the best 3D movie experiences out there.  Shame the script is such gash. 

All 3D movies are better in VR for some reason.  Maybe this new batch will tap into this new tech although by the time they come out Oculus might be as outdated as google glarse.

saltysnacks

The film really is utter guff, I actively hate the damn thing. A massive bloated spectacle, visually induced brain liquification.

Dances with Smurfs.

making this many sequels to a film that seems to hold barely any residual affection with the public is an act of rather extraordinary hubris. it was very successful at the time, but it has not endured in the collective imagination in any noticeable way

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

On the other hand, people predicted doom for the first one and Titanic.

PlanktonSideburns

They will be tremendously, awfully garbage And people will gulp it down like they were luquid lardons

mothman

Those titles sound like they're on the way to being Big Bang Theory episode titles. The Worthington Revivication, anyone?

Nobody Soup

the best thing about Avatar is that inspired the best SNL sketch in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhlJNJopOQ

mothman

I see I'm not the only one to have that pop up in his suggestions tonight...

Mango Chimes

I'm assuming these delays are all something around technology. Cameron waiting for glasses-free 3D tech of some ilk.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Alberon on November 01, 2018, 06:06:38 PMAvatar: The Way of Water, Avatar: The Seed Bearer, Avatar: The Tulkun Rider and Avatar: The Quest for Eywa.
Fucking hell. And I thought 'The Crimes of Grindelwald' was a bad name. It's brilliant how each title is unbelievably poor but also significantly worse than the last.

Here be the lesson: Do not make a film of an idea you had when you were a teenager. DO NOT DO IT. cf Luc Besson.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 02, 2018, 09:10:51 AM
Here be the lesson: Do not make a film of an idea you had when you were banging a teenager. DO NOT DO IT. cf Luc Besson.

FTFY

Sebastian Cobb

Arsed.

It used the technology well, but relying on an extra dimension to make your film interesting, or even bearable is pure artifice.

Bhazor

The Quest for 'ey wha? More like.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on November 01, 2018, 06:06:38 PM
QuoteLast week, Sigourney Weaver, who stars as Dr Grace Augustine, told the Hollywood Reporter that "we just finished shooting 2 and 3" and that she was now preparing to be "busy doing Avatar 4 and 5".

The four Avatar sequels are due to be released in December 2020, December 2021, December 2024, and December 2025.

So strange.  So they have finished filming two sequels, and they are going ahead with two more without any regard for how they might be received?

I mean it's great they don't have to worry about critical opinion or box office success; I don't think the funding of art should depend entirely on its profitability or anything like this, but there are loads of other filmmakers out there who wouldn't ever be given an opportunity like this in a million years, so it ultimately just pisses me off.

Sebastian Cobb

Maybe they'll just fuck them straight into the bin.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on November 03, 2018, 04:14:50 PM
I mean it's great they don't have to worry about critical opinion or box office success; I don't think the funding of art should depend entirely on its profitability or anything like this, but there are loads of other filmmakers out there who wouldn't ever be given an opportunity like this in a million years, so it ultimately just pisses me off.

Yeah, assuming these four films have the same budget as the first, you could fund 210 Get Outs for the same cost. Or 316 Sorry to Bother Yous.