Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:54:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Started by Alberon, August 02, 2013, 10:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

As I repeated a year at uni I had the misfortune of twice sitting through a lecture where the lecturer (quite clearly dying inside while attempting to try to make such shit sound convincing) linked Avatar to whatever theory it was we were covering that week. I think it was supposed to make the theory seem relevant and interesting to the students. That's the only reason I can think of to explain why it was brought up, anyway.

Times I sat through that lecture (the exact same spiel delivered by two different lecturers, as it happens) = Twice
Times I have seen or will ever see Avatar = Zero

small_world

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 03, 2013, 07:07:37 AM
What good sci-fi was there in the 1990s?

Total Recall

I'm constantly surprised that Total Recall was made in 1990.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 03, 2013, 12:15:02 PM

I'm not sure if you can...well you can comment on sci fi if you haven't seen Terminator 2: Judgment Day but you should realise that a lot of people will be baffled as to how you somehow avoided watching it (especially if you consider yourself a sci fi liker) and will then question the value of your opinion. Of course these people may be wrong.

Ha Ha Ha, good one. I haven't seen any Godfather films either. Am I culturally bankrupt now?

BlodwynPig

Is Terminator 2, the one where he falls in some molten lava or something? I've seen a picture of that.

Come to think of it, I don't really remember Terminator 1, something about him wearing Google Glass?

Sam

The next time James Cameron descends into the sea inside a multidollargogglebox, as he is wont to do, I hope he is eaten by a giant squid, the squanderous, hackneyed cunt.

More Avatar films? He should be spending all his money on erasing his last two shitfests, as karmic atonement to we beleaguered and aggrieved, who mistakenly sat through his vertiginous flights of megalomaniacal sludge.

I'd rather fuck a zebra than watch Avatar again.

BlodwynPig

I was in Germany when the initial trailer for Avatar was first aired. It had a glorious soundtrack with a big spaceship floating past. I was hooked - the music was spellbinding. Months later I saw another trailer that had some crappy Hollywoodish soundtrack and never went to see the film. 

I have never been able to find that German trailer...anyone hear it?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 03, 2013, 01:43:33 PM
Am I culturally bankrupt now?

Yes. I bet you don't even know how many chemicals are in a carrot.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 03, 2013, 02:40:57 PM
Yes. I bet you don't even know how many chemicals are in a carrot.

Three? Air, Water and Fire?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 03, 2013, 02:59:29 PM
Three? Air, Water and Fire?

No, there are 140 chemicals in a carrot and if you can't name them then I see no reason why anybody should have to endure your ill informed and shockingly ignorant opinions. Come back to the forum when you turn 18. Yeah ? Simples. Be more dog, for god sake. I've wasted enough time on this site, I'm going to fulfill myself properly by playing computer games in a dark basement while listening to Daniel Kitson tapes.

Avatar didn't make much of an impression on me. It seems to be something you should love or hate, but I'm in neither camp. I'm fairly indifferent to the idea of them making sequels too.

And that is my interesting opinion. I hope you enjoyed it.

Nobody Soup

soldier goes native story, but instead of learning he can never truely be apart of the other culture for he is a danger to it in some way, it ends with a tree transplanting his mind into a genetically engineered body because he is disabled and his girlfriend is 10 foot tall.

Hank Venture

Spoiler alert for FUCKS sake.

Artemis

Quote from: Sam on August 03, 2013, 02:05:55 PM
I'd rather fuck a zebra than watch Avatar again.

In fairness, I'd rather watch you fuck a zebra than watch Avatar again, and I quite liked it, for what it was.

imitationleather

I'd happily pay money to watch Sam fuck a zebra. Is this going to be at one of those London Zoo late opening 18+ only things or what?

WesterlyWinds

Let's pool our cash and get him to do it. I'll put in a fiver.

It's not illegal to fund bestiality, right?

Jerzy Bondov

Personally I don't like any James Cameron films except the first Terminator and at a push the second Terminator. Nothing else is any good. Go back under the sea James Cameron and bloody stay there

Not even Aliens: This Time It's Personal?

Thomas

The iceberg collision sequence in Titanic is unrivalled as far as cinematic depictions of the Titanic iceberg collision go.

Lets not forget True Lies, people. Come on. The bit where the thingy blows up was ace.

Jerzy Bondov

No, Aliens is shit. Embarrassingly poor.

What about AAliens: This Time It's Beer?

Jerzy Bondov

mobias

True Lies was the first James Cameron movie I actually quite enjoyed, and I did so through gritted teeth because I absolutely despise most of his movies. He's the absolute king of that sort of zero subtlety gung-ho movie making that gave the world people like Michael Bay. I don't think I've ever seen True Lies since it came out. Its probably aged badly and the film's premise is perhaps a bit close to the bone these days. An American spy super hero coming to save the day from an evil Middle Eastern Muslim terrorist is laughable in this day and age.

I admittedly quite liked Avatar. It felt like quite a satisfying romp and visually it was impressive. The hung-ho dialogue that usually ruins Cameron's movies was reserved for the most part to the evil military humans where it suited them. Again I haven't seen it outside the cinema. Its probably the sort of movie you have to see in 3D IMAX or not at all. I guess thats a criticism of it too though. It should really be able to stand on its own away from its visual impact. 

Gulftastic

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 02, 2013, 07:01:49 PM
I don't think anyone's having a go at Cameron as was, per se. Terminator 2 has a good claim to being the best sci fi action film ever made.

No it doesn't! It's not as good as the original Terminator film, for a start.

BlodwynPig

Was the phrase "Hasta la Vista, Baby" in Terminator 1?

Gulftastic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 04, 2013, 05:18:48 PM
Was the phrase "Hasta la Vista, Baby" in Terminator 1?

No. In Terminator 2, an uptight robot killing machine came back from the future and, somewhere along the way, he learned that terminating doesn't have to be terminally boring.

And thank you Terminator 2 for making us laugh, about love. Again.

BlodwynPig

Maybe I have seen Terminator 2 then. "I'll Be Back", was that in T2? Also, "Tonight, Hell freezes over"?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 04, 2013, 05:11:04 PM
No it doesn't! It's not as good as the original Terminator film, for a start.

This argument is beyond my persuasive capabilities.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 04, 2013, 04:35:42 PM
No, Aliens is shit. Embarrassingly poor.

This argument is beyond my persuasive capabilities.

Game over man.