Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:19:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Started by Alberon, August 02, 2013, 10:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acrow

have you seen wayne's world, blodwynpig?

because if you have seen wayne's world and haven't seen terminator 2 then there's a joke in wayne's world that would go right over your head. so that seems like enough of a reason to watch terminator 2. if you haven't seen wayne's world, you should. but watch terminator 2 first.

or maybe it was wayne's world 2.

BlodwynPig

Can't remember if I saw Wayne's World. I think I did - I remember them playing chess with death?

Is T2 more famous than T1? All the catchphrases are in T2??

Gulftastic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 04, 2013, 07:05:12 PM

Is T2 more famous than T1? All the catchphrases are in T2??

It's where Arnie's famous 'Good Moaning!' first appeared.

acrow

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 04, 2013, 07:05:12 PM
Can't remember if I saw Wayne's World. I think I did - I remember them playing chess with death?

that's bill and ted you silly.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: acrow on August 04, 2013, 07:14:00 PM

ummmm, ooops. Well then I haven't seen WW. Bogus.

Gulftastic

Quote from: acrow on August 04, 2013, 07:14:00 PM

The film where DC Carver had to arrest a living stuffed bear?

acrow

nah, that was wayne's world.

MojoJojo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 02, 2013, 11:10:38 PM
Look at World's End, Dr. Who (the new one) and you see pretty shoddy stuff. Kiddy-flavoured, basically - no sense of Sci-fi history.

I did say in those terms, for good 90s scifi films. Although there were some good examples provided, like dark city.

I interpreted that to mean, "weird"  like that other scifi thread.

Terminator is a good example. Terminator 1 is a classic time travel story, in scifi terms. Terminator 2 may be a better film, but it's just two monsters fighting each other. They could cone from Mars, or Narnia. Hell, in those terms it sounds like Transformers.

Oh avatar. Not worth discussing - no one credible has said it's a good film. It looks good, arguably, but the best anyone can say about the story is it rips off dances with wolves.

On phone, apologies for shitty post.

BlodwynPig

Gulftastic

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 04, 2013, 09:43:41 PM

Terminator is a good example. Terminator 1 is a classic time travel story, in scifi terms. Terminator 2 may be a better film,

It isn't.

mobias

The Terminator 2 gag is in Wayne's World 2

MojoJojo

Is the t1000 in
anything else?

alcoholic messiah

Another one was sent back to kill Dana Scully, but fled when Tony Soprano won its sporting goods store in a poker game.

batwings

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 04, 2013, 10:03:20 PM
Is the t1000 in
anything else?
Think it shows up in The Last Action Hero.

Nobody Soup

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 04, 2013, 04:35:42 PM
No, Aliens is shit. Embarrassingly poor.

Whaaaaaat??

The only thing which slightly taints Terminator 1 and 2 and Aliens, which I think are otherwise total perfection, is that Cameron seems like quite a huge knobhead. But I do think he has immense talent as an action/suspense director and designer. And his scripts were great until Titanic.

ZoyzaSorris

Aliens is clearly one of the all-time pinnacles of human creative endeavour and anyone claiming otherwise is just attention-seeking, but as for terminator 2, loved it at the time, but on a rewatch it hasnt aged that well due to that little prick furlong stinking up every scene he's in, which is almost all of them. enjoyed avatar a lot on a lazy sunday afternoon at home on my FLAT SCREEN tv but can't see the need for any more.

mobias

Aliens is a subpar sequel to Alien. Its a fun and decently constructed sci-fi thriller but it screws utterly with the first film and basically sets the scene for all the other dreadful Alien sequels. I'll never forgive James Cameron for introducing the idea of the alien queen. It was such a naff and obvious idea.

Alberon

So how would you have handled an Alien sequel?

You've had the big reveal of the alien in the first film so you obviously don't want to just redo that. But how would you have done it differently?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Alberon on August 05, 2013, 08:49:04 AM

You've had the big reveal of the alien in the first film so you obviously don't want to just redo that. But how would you have done it differently?

A rom-com?

Got Peter Capaldi to play the alien.

mobias

Quote from: Alberon on August 05, 2013, 08:49:04 AM

For starters I would have been much more faithful to H.R. Giger's original idea of the life cycle of the alien and not just turn it into a giant wasp like Cameron did. What Cameron did was such an obvious idea and what it also did was take something horrifically 'alien' and just bring down to earth by giving it a life cycle we are all familiar with. I also would have explored what the space jockey was without actually ruining the mystery of it too much. There's a better story somewhere in Prometheus that could have been used as a  far superior sequel to Alien than what Cameron came up with in Aliens. And most importantly of all I would have had H.R Giger's full involvement in creature and production design. Something all the sequels (and bewilderingly Scott's prequel) forgot was that Giger was the real star of Alien. It was his nightmarish other worldly designs that really made the film what it was and ultimately made it so original and special.
Like I said before Aliens, with its oft quoted lines, well balanced narrative and high production values, is a hugely entertaining sci-fi thriller monster shoot em up but as follow up to Scott's film, which is basically a work of art in my opinion, it bares no relation. Alien does not have any sequels as far as I'm concerned.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: mobias on August 05, 2013, 10:51:10 AM
Aliens......is a hugely entertaining sci-fi thriller monster shoot em up

What's wrong with being hugely entertained ? Aliens is a classic in the crowd pleasin', gun totin', catchphrase heavy sci fi genre. One of the best examples in fact. It spawned many inferior copies and was a blast for boys of a certain age. I can't see any problems, boys need entertainment too.

Not all films can be..... I've just realised what the point of Avatar is. It's a brainless, high concept sci fi romp that is thematically and mentally unchallenging with an easy to follow script and plenty of action. Made for the masses, bums on seats boy, bums on seats. That's what most Cameron films are like. I suppose for Cameron, the ultimate film would be Star Wars and he has been trying to emulate that formula for ages now. Still, there's plenty of fun to be had along the way if you catch his films in the right frame of mind and at the right age. I was the perfect age for Terminator 2, Aliens and Terminator. By the time True Lies came out, I was 16 and the sight of Arnie balancing on the wing of a Harrier jump jet was already pretty stupid looking. But seeing Terminator 2, Aliens and Terminator as a young boy, those memories will last a lifetime.

Comparing Alien to Aliens is stupid anyway. Why bother ? They're two different films. It's like comparing Bad Lieutenant with Herzog's later interpretation, futile but inevitable.

mobias

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 05, 2013, 11:09:05 AM

Comparing Alien to Aliens is stupid anyway. Why bother ? They're two different films.

Its not stupid I don't think. Its a sequel. Its supposed to carry over and develop ideas, atmospheres, storylines and characters created in the first film, and it does so to varying degrees badly or not at all.

Zetetic

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 05, 2013, 11:09:05 AM
Comparing Alien to Aliens is stupid anyway. Why bother ? They're two different films.
It would seem to make more sense to compare two different films, rather than compare the same film to itself.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Zetetic on August 05, 2013, 03:26:40 PM
It would seem to make more sense to compare two different films, rather than compare the same film to itself.

What's the point in comparing the two films though ? Unless they have the same director it seems a bit futile. Cameron and Scott made films that reflect them as directors in that Alien had themes and Aliens had guns. I suppose I just think that Aliens was perfectly good fun and expecting another or a continuation of Alien is pointless and unrealistic anyway. I wouldn't compare Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection with Alien either for similar reasons.

Endicott

Quote from: mobias on August 05, 2013, 10:51:10 AM
For starters I would have been much more faithful to H.R. Giger's original idea of the life cycle of the alien and not just turn it into a giant wasp like Cameron did. What Cameron did was such an obvious idea and what it also did was take something horrifically 'alien' and just bring down to earth by giving it a life cycle we are all familiar with. I also would have explored what the space jockey was without actually ruining the mystery of it too much. There's a better story somewhere in Prometheus that could have been used as a  far superior sequel to Alien than what Cameron came up with in Aliens. And most importantly of all I would have had H.R Giger's full involvement in creature and production design. Something all the sequels (and bewilderingly Scott's prequel) forgot was that Giger was the real star of Alien. It was his nightmarish other worldly designs that really made the film what it was and ultimately made it so original and special.
Like I said before Aliens, with its oft quoted lines, well balanced narrative and high production values, is a hugely entertaining sci-fi thriller monster shoot em up but as follow up to Scott's film, which is basically a work of art in my opinion, it bares no relation. Alien does not have any sequels as far as I'm concerned.

Fucking YES. At last someone who agrees with me about Alien.

Jerzy Bondov

I don't find Aliens to be very much fun at all. In fact I think it is annoying and boring, and none of the characters are interesting in any way, including Ripley. And that's not in comparison to Alien, that's on its own merits. :-)

BlodwynPig

I don't think I have seen Aliens, is that the one with Jim Capaldi from Traffic?

acrow

nah, that's bill and ted's bogus journey.

Mustow Green

Re:  True Lies and T2... The Abyss was such an expensive bomb that he had to make something financially successful, hence T2.  Then he became 'king of the world' and seems to be happy to waste squillions on absolute shite, (technically impressive nonetheless - I think he's my favourite, most technically savvy director, e.g his use of miniatures, up to the CGI wankfest of these days, was inspiring), and his story telling is appalling.

Avatar.  I was taken by the look of the film and it stayed with me for many hours, but the next day?  Didn't South Park lampoon it as Dances with Smurfs?

edit:Aliens.
Spoiler alert
Despite what I said about the technical side I still can't believe he let the shot of a ripped in half Bishop torso, when you can see the rest of Hendrickson sat in a hole in the ground make the cut.
[close]