Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:53:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Most Violent Game Ever' Causes Boy to Kill Friend (Here we go again)

Started by Bollock Chops, July 28, 2004, 06:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bollock Chops

ITV NEWS have just had a report on their show about how the game 'Manhunt' "made" a boy kill his friend with a claw hammer. Apparently, the police found a copy in the killer's bedroom, so, you know, it MUST have made him do it.

Why don't they just fuck off.

Lt Plonker

I think the mass media still see computer and video games as somewhat of a mystery - their articles made up of half-truths, twisted logic and sly wordage - in an effort to make them sound knowledgable thus lending the articles some degree of validity.  Anyone remember a few years ago, when the Daily Mail published a 'disturbing' story of a toddler who played computer games and made him more aggressive and shout at the screen? It was on TV also. Turns out that tha game in question was Goldeneye. A game that no toddler could even begin to fathom out, let alone run voilent rampages through. The kid was still in nappies and sucking it's dummy for fucks sake! The Daily Mail published the article alongside a picture of a demonic looking child with a Playstation controller in hand. Hmm.

Not sure of that makes sense. I hope it does. I get frustrated with this type of scapegoat journalism. "Sooper Marilio killed my son!!!!!

I've got an article in my Sega Pro upstairs relating to game censorship and Nighttrap. Let's see if I can scan the bugger. Be back soon.

Is this story mentioned on the interweb Bollock Chops? Linky?

Pinball

Is Nighttrap that Sega-CD game of different cameras around a house full of girls who, erm, periodically get killed? I have that one! And guess what? I have never entered a house full of girls and killed them. Until now...

Marcus Or Relius

I remember when 'Soldier of Fortune' was released and the Daily Mail (who else?) ran a full-page story about it. "Sickest game ever" it shrieked, along with descriptions of how you can dismember individual limbs from enemies with shotguns, blow their heads clean off and slash their bellies until their intestines spill out.

"Cool," I thought to myself, wondering how this game had escaped my attention, and within an hour I was strolling back from Game with a copy of it in hand.

It's hardly a coincidence that murderers who were supposedly obsessed witha violent movie or computer game in the period before their crime usually have a history of violent behaviour.

The Plaque Goblin

It's just the video nasties of today.

The people behind Manhunt will be doing the equivalent of Spiderman 2 in twenty years time.

Manhunt is one of the better first-person-perspective-action/adventure games around today, isn't it?

Bollock Chops

Quote from: "Lt Plonker"Is this story mentioned on the interweb Bollock Chops? Linky?
http://www.itv.com/news/1367314.html

VegaLA

EVERYONE knows that murders never existed before Satans toy Television became available !! Can anyone say 'Childs play circa 1993' ? Just another reminder why I left blighty !!!

MojoJojo

Bah,the video game companies themselves are responsible. Free advertising, innit? The early GTA games were prime examples of this.
I have vague memories of some tetris/columns clone in the late 80s causing a lot of controversy and advertising on all the daytime tv shows.
Of course, if they actually bothered to check the messages, they were things along the lines of "respect your parents" and "brush your teeth".
I only read about this in Amiga Power, and may have got all the details wrong.

This latest one about "Manhunt" sounds like ITN not having any news though, as it's been out awhile now.

gazzyk1ns

Heh, re: that first Sega Power scan... what did people find wrong with Mario? Were they afraid their kids were going to start headbutting levitating bricks in the hope that coins were going to come out of them, or start battling crocodiles in the hope of saving a princess, or what?

Goldentony

twats

any fucker who blames a video game because he fucked someone up with a claw hammer deserves to be thrown away to jail

weekender

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Were they afraid their kids were going to start headbutting bricks in the hope that coins were going to come out of them

Some kids in America actually did that, seriously.

petercussing

Note how many times the word 'evil' is used in the article.

I think ITN should have a live dicussion into what defines the notion of evil, whether it indeed exists or if it is just a personification of the worse traites of man, that allows us to distance ourselves from those similar feeling we expericence or can't understand.  

In the nude.

With CCTV footage of a couple shagging in a car park playing over the top.

I think they'd go for that.

weekender

Quote from: "Goldentony"any fucker who blames a video game because he fucked someone up with a claw hammer deserves to be thrown away to jail

Yeah, and he shouldn't be able to collect $200 when he passes go either, the dirty freeloader.

MojoJojo

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Heh, re: that first Sega Power scan... what did people find wrong with Mario? Were they afraid their kids were going to start headbutting levitating bricks in the hope that coins were going to come out of them, or start battling crocodiles in the hope of saving a princess, or what?

Maybe it's all those Magic Mushrooms.

chand

I have far more murderous rage inside me when I watch the ITV News than I ever did playing Manhunt.

I was playing Pro Evolution Soccer all day today, it didn't make me go out and get any fucking exercise.

chand

Quote from: "Marcus Or Relius"It's hardly a coincidence that murderers who were supposedly obsessed witha violent movie or computer game in the period before their crime usually have a history of violent behaviour.

Quite, it was the same with the whole 'Marilyn Manson makes kids kill each other' bollocks, you have to ask yourself what is more likely, that a video game turns nice kids violent, or that a violent kid will want to play a violent video game?

Hopefully this extra publicity will shift some more units of Manhunt and guarantee me a sequel, I love that game.

Pinball

There have always been, are, and always will be murderers. I don't believe radio, then television, then internet and games cause murder - they just make it more creative ;-)

Bottomline, twisted minds will crave certain things, perhaps even rape horror murder type wotsits. It doesn't mean the DVD caused them, rather they chose to buy the DVD/game/website/whatever...

gazzyk1ns

Well exactly, I can well believe that some mentally ill 12 year-old saw a film/played a game where a murder involved a hammer, then did something similar himself... but the influence is incidental, he only would have done it with his bare hands/the nearest thing/something in the next film he saw.

Goldentony

Quote from: "weekender"
Quote from: "Goldentony"any fucker who blames a video game because he fucked someone up with a claw hammer deserves to be thrown away to jail

Yeah, and he shouldn't be able to collect $200 when he passes go either, the dirty freeloader.

no need to be that mean

Yeah so what if he killed his friend.

He got the power up and won the game !

steevbishop

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"Yeah so what if he killed his friend.

He got the power up and won the game !

Did we at least get what his high score was?

chand

Quote from: "sonia_from_eastenders"He got the power up and won the game !

There aren't any power-ups in Manhunt. You may be thinking of different game.

Borboski

Quote from: "pinball"]There have always been, are, and always will be murderers. I don't believe radio, then television, then internet and games cause murder - they just make it more creative ;-)

Bottomline, twisted minds will crave certain things, perhaps even rape horror murder type wotsits. It doesn't mean the DVD caused them, rather they chose to buy the DVD/game/website/whatever...

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Well exactly, I can well believe that some mentally ill 12 year-old saw a film/played a game where a murder involved a hammer, then did something similar himself... but the influence is incidental, he only would have done it with his bare hands/the nearest thing/something in the next film he saw.

Oh well I'm glad we have two qualified social scientist and criminal pathologists on the board.

What utter rot. As much as the knee-jerk reaction to blame particular art forms is just, well, silly... the other end, to say that people are "naturally" murderers... well it's silly too.

Clearly human beings are social animals and as such external stimula are massively important in building character, obviously that isn't just watching natural born killers, but your family, your peer group etc etc, but it seems a pretty well proven point that if you grow up violence, or have been consistently been placed in a violent culture (i.e. middle class revolutionaries terrorists) you will seek violent options.

I apologise, I may have misquoted you both there slightly, but it does seem like you both attribute murder to twisted minds or mentally ill people when i reckon it doesn't take much in the form of cultural influence for a child to start demonstrating aggressive behavior. Of course if you're lucky enough to have intelligent caring parents watching platoon aged 8 won't make you a psychopath... but until we have social workers based in every home in the UK I'm not happy that parents are making the right choices and so some form of censorship is necessary.

Just seem like you were both making points ameliorating the responsibilty of media producers, government, etc, in favour of individual responsibility... which would be fine if we were all well educated liberati but I fear we aren't.

{ducks head under trench}

king mob

Quote"It just goes to show that he is inherently evil and he is the worst type of evil."

I want to see the better type of evil if he's the worst type & since when did evil have a sliding scale?

As for this story, it's not really a story apart from being one of a poor kid who was killed, there's no mention of anythin else apart from say she "thinks"  Manhunt was responsible.
Thats not enough really to make a major news story.

It's simply just trying to create another scapegoat like the Internet, 50's horror comics & video nasties.

TotalNightmare

frankly,

everytme there is a murder that is attributed to a videogame, movie, piece of art then it becomes a scapegoat, not because it is easy but because it saves asking more searching questions.

Of course videogames can POTENTIALLY inspire violence, but that is not to say it will.
Videogame makers do have a responcibilty with what they make effecting some people, but then does that make it right to censor or ban it?
I don't think so.

But then again, if Manhunt had been the EXACT same game but instead of murder it had been a game of TAG or something non violent, would it have sold as well?
The same goes for GTA, would the game had sold as well if the violence was replaced by something nicer. I doubt it.
We are attracted to gore and danger and adventure and the setting of these games inspire us more than more family friendly fare.

It's sad really. I happen to think that Manhunt was a bit piss poor and a lot of trial and error gameplay  in place of genuine investigation and adventure, but thats just me.

Its hard to portray the real horror behind murder and crime in videogames as there is no real moral or code to teach (it doesnt have to) but as a result, the game only goes on to glamourise it, intentionally or not.

I have often believed that this is a dark time for videogames because the quality of gaming is being drained. all the gamers want is better graphics, more violence and little imagination.

The number of fun, clever and innovative games that have been lost on people because, on first glance, the look like kids games or simply 'gay' leaves me staggered.

I was once in GAME and saw two kids pick up, i think it was PIKMIN, and say "i've heard this is good" only for the other to say "put it down, it looks gay"
Its sad.

Even if there is NO grounds to link a videogame with a murder, you have to wonder if the programmers aren't feeding this fear themselves and yet dont give a fuck...

i can get SO preachy sometimes...

i guess i get sad easily!

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Borboski"
Quote from: "pinball"]There have always been, are, and always will be murderers. I don't believe radio, then television, then internet and games cause murder - they just make it more creative ;-)

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Well exactly, I can well believe that some mentally ill 12 year-old saw a film/played a game where a murder involved a hammer, then did something similar himself... but the influence is incidental, he only would have done it with his bare hands/the nearest thing/something in the next film he saw.

Oh well I'm glad we have two qualified social scientist and criminal pathologists on the board.

What utter rot. As much as the knee-jerk reaction to blame particular art forms is just, well, silly... the other end, to say that people are "naturally" murderers... well it's silly too.

Clearly human beings are social animals and as such external stimula are massively important in building character, obviously that isn't just watching natural born killers, but your family, your peer group etc etc, but it seems a pretty well proven point that if you grow up violence, or have been consistently been placed in a violent culture (i.e. middle class revolutionaries terrorists) you will seek violent options.

I apologise, I may have misquoted you both there slightly, but it does seem like you both attribute murder to twisted minds or mentally ill people when i reckon it doesn't take much in the form of cultural influence for a child to start demonstrating aggressive behavior. Of course if you're lucky enough to have intelligent caring parents watching platoon aged 8 won't make you a psychopath... but until we have social workers based in every home in the UK I'm not happy that parents are making the right choices and so some form of censorship is necessary.

Just seem like you were both making points ameliorating the responsibilty of media producers, government, etc, in favour of individual responsibility... which would be fine if we were all well educated liberati but I fear we aren't.

{ducks head under trench}

Oh hold up, here we go.

Come off it. I never claimed to be anything other than an average human when I posted that... but I stand by what I said.

I've wanted to punch someone's face in when having an argument, I've wanted to spit and piss in people's drinks, and in the heat of the moment I've actually tried to break people's ankles whilst playing football with them.

But anyone who gives another human being a literal hammering to the skull is not right in the head. I consider myself to have been bought up poorly-to-averagely, at a stretch of the imagination, but I have known for at least a decade and a half that deliberately killing someone else is intrinsically wrong. Anyone that doesn't know that by the time they reach an age whereby killing another person becomes a feasible option is either mentally ill (and I assume that occurs quite rarely...) or has been bought up wrongly (conversely, I assume, quite common, compared to public expectation...).

If you think my opinion is wrong then fair enough, but don't start acting all superior and trying to say "Mmmmmm well actually, I rather doubt you're a criminal psychologist!" Well... nor are you. I hate the fact that you try to argue against my opinion by saying "You're not an established professional in that field of science...", then you go and state your own equally unqualified opinion as if it's somehow more correct. Go and eat your own pride and righteousness, if your stomach is big enough. I'm stating my opinion from my experience and you are doing the same -  the difference is that you're insulting my opinion. Wind your big fat neck in and just tell eveyone what you think, then we might have a worthwhile debate on our hands.

Quote from: "Boborski"
to say that people are "naturally" murderers... well it's silly too.

Good job neither me or Pinball ever said that, then, isn't it?

Kingboy_D

Quote from: "ITV Celebrity-Kneejerk News"The grieving parents of a teenager battered and stabbed to death by an older boy have blamed a violent video game for his murder.

Nonsense on stilts.

Pythov

I AM WILLING TO POST...That it is not worth Posting further.  Please!..., to post further thoughts and insights, is to further the Idea that the Arguementatives against video games are right,  And I am sadly, aware how Ironic this post is.

Should this reply be a thread Killer, I will be very happy.