Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:06:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Most Violent Game Ever' Causes Boy to Kill Friend (Here we go again)

Started by Bollock Chops, July 28, 2004, 06:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VorpalSword

oops. sorry. didn't mean to post.

yawn,

oh, and i, uh, don't think the game is to blame. the hammer is.

Rev

Quote from: "Borboski"until we have social workers based in every home in the UK I'm not happy that parents are making the right choices and so some form of censorship is necessary.

'Some form of censorship'.  What form should this take?  The game has an 18 certificate, which means that it cannot be sold to anyone under that age.  Do you mean that material which qualifies for such a certificate should not be released at all?

Just seem like you were both making points ameliorating the responsibilty of media producers, government, etc, in favour of individual responsibility... which would be fine if we were all well educated liberati but I fear we aren't.

So only 'well educated liberati' grasp the concept that smashing someone's head in with a hammer isn't acceptable behaviour?  The proles need to be cattle prodded and kept away from material that could set the savages off?  'Manhunt is fine for you or I, but imagine of your wife or servant were to play it'...

I seriously hope you were taking the piss with this one (I seriously suspect that you were).

skibz

It's just a claim for the murderer's defence that he was 'influenced to kill' by the game, so that it diminishes his personal responsibility. But to be honest, him saying that is like Nazis saying they were influenced by Cartman in 'South Park' - its missing the point so much it's pathetic. That the media gives credence to these claims makes it even worse, especially considering the outcomes of previous studies into this very topic.

It's just irritating that we see fit to throw the man in prison for murder, but we trust his word enough to blame a computer game.

chand

Why bother with analysis when a screaming headline tells you everything you need to know?

gazzyk1ns

Oh please tell me you've not monged that "elephant" headline above the main one...

chand

chand

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Oh please tell me you've not monged that "elephant" headline above the main one...

Nope, it looks like that could be an even lamer story. I got this front page from the BBC site.

Cheese Arse H Christ

spectrum owners only post.....

Oooh I don't know about these games not influencing us. I bought Melbourne House's "The Hobbit", (ok, ok, I tape to taped it)  and after a few days play I found a strange desire to spent forever trapped  in a fucking barrel with nothing happening. Frightening.

Marcus Or Relius

So is this Manhunt game any good then? I might buy it. After all, as seen as the makers have gone to all the effort of paying a teenager to kill another boy then claim their computer game was to blame, it would be a shame to let such a thorough marketing ploy go to waste.

hencole

Isn't this game rated 18? So is it not entirely the parents fault for allowing their kids to play the game.

6 months time look for the two sentance article sayingt 'The judge found no evidendce to back up the claim that 'Manhunt' the video game was responsible in any way for the killing.

Borboski

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"

Good job neither me or Pinball ever said that, then, isn't it?

Eh yes I realise i was misquoting you evah so slightly - but i wanted to criticise that point of view that defends censorship and the freedom of the individual to the point of which the media-entertainment industry can take no responsibility for what it puts out.

God I'm turning conservative - but things like the sexualisation of, well, everything are starting to bother me. It's starting to bother me that I can't leave myself without seeing breasts everywhere - billboards, sides of buses, shop windows.

While Ok neither of you said that people are "naturally murderers" you did both say that the lad must have serious problems in the first place. Well I agree with that, no doubt for a number of reasons so that to pick one out, like Manhunt is just so simplistic as to be moronic.

But I do think we are relatively civilised in this country. Clearly in historical situations (Spanish Civil War, Rwanda, Sudan) many people have it in them to commit acts of particularly vicious assualt and torture. And these groups of people are often not "seriously  Now I'd assume this happens because a person's cultural environment tells him it's OK. Of course its also his social environment - what his peers are doing. But I do think it's valid to question what media forms young people experience without being a knee-jerk tory... of course the way the daily mail and express do it is for the idiot conservative readership they print for.

Dr David V

I've just read the obligitary Mail article. It makes for rather humourous, if slightly depressing reading. Having played the whole game though twice, I could pick holes in it for ages, but I'm too tired right now.

And that elephant thing is about some guy selling T-shirts on the internet featuring tube maps with pictures of animals drawn over the lines.

king mob

Nice to see the Mail & the Mirror come riding into town with torches and pitchforks to kill the evil video game.

I especially like the Mirror's pic of Michelle from BB, its not as it there's any news around.

king mob

Oh god, just turned the tv on and the Wright Stuff is discussing Manhunt...

king mob

Ha!

Matthew Wright tried desperately to whip up some moral storm in his show about this but was confronted by everyone saying it was the parents fault & its only a video game.

He looked gutted there were no oh this is evil, lets ban it calls.

Prick.

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "king mob"Oh god, just turned the tv on and the Wright Stuff is discussing Manhunt...

doesn't the lisping Lowry Turner make you wanna throttle the fucking TV and go out and murder someone...

i can see the headline.
Man goes on rampagee and kills 20
"I Blame it on the reactionary comments of Lowry Turner - she was pissing me RIGHT off"

king mob

Turner came out with the line of "oh this game is evil ban it" , sadly nobody else backed her well thought out, not kneejerk response at all.

steevbishop

Quote from: "hencole"Isn't this game rated 18? So is it not entirely the parents fault for allowing their kids to play the game.

When I read this that's what I thought

Quote from: "BBC News"Warren Leblanc, 17, repeatedly stabbed 14-year-old Stefan Pakeerah after luring him to a Leicester park to steal from him on 27 February...

...A spokesman for the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers' Association said: "We sympathise enormously with the family and parents of Stefan Pakeerah.

"However, we reject any suggestion or association between the tragic events and the sale of the video game Manhunt. The game in question is classified 18 by the British Board of Film Classification and therefore should not be in the possession of a juvenile. Simply being in someone's possession does not and should not lead to the conclusion that a game is responsible for these tragic events."

I challenge any other news outlet to give even that much credence to the other side of the discussion.

That kid's an early 17, for sure, more likely 16 when the game was released. He's wrong in the head, became obsessed with the game and found inspiration in images that weren't even meant for him.
The fact that he confessed almost straight away to police, and pleaded guilty in court, would make me think while he didn't have enough grip on right-and-wrong pre-emptively, the reality of what he had done had gone some way to righting it.

The game itself would've gone through both ELSPA and BBFC's certification system. It passed and was deemed suitable for adults. That is all that can be done. After that, it's down to retailers and parents to ensure that under 18s are not allowed access to unsuitable products. I hate to say "blame the parents", because kids themselves can be quite devious in doing their own thing undetected, but clearly Warren's parents don't know their child and, regardless of Manhunt's influence or not, that in itself is pretty dangerous, argueably moreso.

(I'm actually shocked by the response on The Wright Stuff. I wasn't expecting such balanced viewpoints)

Manhunts one of my favourite PS2 games ever. I dont really mind if they ban it since I have it already - I just hope it doesn't scupper a sequel... But to be fair there wasn't going to be a sequel anyway. Manhunt didnt sell... Now here's the interesting thing - the game has been out now for, what, a year? When it was launched Rockstar were obviously banking on big controversy - remember our threads about the game on the old board? - and hoped it would sell because of it. There was no such controversy, the game was reviewed well but didn't sell brilliantly and went largely unnoticed by the majority. Now it seems, after all this time, they are going to get what they wanted in the first place and its all thanks to the newspapers who have just discovered it. Perhaps the mail and the mirror are going to help me get my sequel afterall.

Dr David V

MC - The tabloids were aware, and indeed shocked and appalled by it, but it was tucked away to half a page in the Sunday papers. Now there's been a killing 'as a result of it', there's a good reason for them to be shocked and appalled now.

VorpalSword

Quote from: "Borboski"
Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"
It's starting to bother me that I can't leave myself without seeing breasts everywhere - billboards, sides of buses, shop windows.

that's funny, cos i'm fine with it.

huh,

thisissi

For gods sake, the ITV news should be banned.  They've started trailing it now in vein of "find out what so and so did, in the news next...."

They'll have live burnings of Black Sabbath and Judas Priest albums next....

king mob

I've just felt the need to buy it from Sendit.com & its a nice 18quid reduced from 35.

Buy it while it's cheap.

TotalNightmare

Dixons have JUST announced that they are pulling the game from the shelves in responce to this 'horrid, frenzied attack'...

what the FUCK is up with this world...

i wanna take a hammer to the cunts who are pushing this witch hunt.

ahhh, GOD DAMN IT, everything is pissing me off today.

why can't they just take the game off the shelves because it is crap?

butnut

Quote from: "Dr David V"And that elephant thing is about some guy selling T-shirts on the internet featuring tube maps with pictures of animals drawn over the lines.

I'm sure someone put a site that did that in the cool things thread once.

As for computer games, the only one I play really is civ3, and I haven't turned into an empire-building megalomaniac dictator - yet...

Butnut, earlier today, by the Thames.

chand

Quote from: "king mob"Turner came out with the line of "oh this game is evil ban it" , sadly nobody else backed her well thought out, not kneejerk response at all.

Haha, she's been on some intellectually stimulating TV shows, like that one where she used to wander round the Trafford Centre looking at fucking shops. 'Shopping City', it was called, and involved her showing us what was happening in the Trafford Centre. For an hour. Every day. For weeks. So she's well qualified to hold an opinion on this game and it's social ramifications, then. I'm sure she's played it a lot too.

I might believe it if the kid had sneaked up on the guy and filmed the killing from a number of angles.

Dr David V

Oh yeah, it's even been taken off their (Dixons) website. I'll see if I can find a link about it.

Here we go: http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1145259,00.html

king mob

That is shite, probably why Sendit have dropped the price to shift stock before the tabloids really kick in.

Its bollocks though, this is what happened to Childs Play 3 after the Bulger case and there was never any connection between the film and that murder.
Still, actually worrying why a child would kill another & how irresponable the parents were have nothing to do with a good old fashioned witchhunt.

TJ

Playing Devil's advocate here, but isn't there potentially a huge psychological gap between merely watching something violent and 'playing' it? Computer games effectively require you to 'become' the do-er of the violence and react as they might - (most) adults have the necessary psychological faculties to treat this as an outlet for stress or a bit of a laugh or whatever and not take it seriously, but do kids?

Jemble Fred

Apart from anything else, this was a third-person viewpoint game. I might have had a smidgin more sympathy with the Witch Smellers if it had all been from the murderer's point-of-view. But I don't think a reputable videogames company would ever dare take the risk of publishing a first-person murder game. Unless it's fucking Vietnam war or something, then it's perfectly alright to massacre the Vietcong and feel that you're really in the game....