Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:41:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

International dialling codes an all that shizz

Started by Notlob, August 04, 2013, 02:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notlob

Are text messages delivered to an overseas (EU) number if there's no international code attached? I sent a text to a German number to find out if I got a post I really reaaaaaallly want, and the message appeared to be delivered (as in a time stamp appeared next to the message text in the conversation window, instead of a failed to send/undelivered sign). As I haven't heard back in a few days I rechecked the number and saw that I had saved the number as a local German number, without the international code. I tried calling it and it said the number wasn't recognised.

So does that mean my message wasn't sent or delivered? Should I resend it with the code? I just don't want to bombard this really quite important person with messages but if he's not receiving them I do need to resend it. I don't understand why a text would send without an international code, but a phone call wouldn't connect.

Uncle TechTip

When you send a text it goes to a message centre, so the apparent successful delivery could have been just that far. What happens if you send a text to an invalid number? I've never tried it ,but it's unlikely to say 'sorry, number unobtainable'. It is supposed to give you a proper delivery report but it can be hit and miss. Esp here as your message will have been handed to a message centre in Germany. I would send it again as there's every chance it didn't deliver.

If it's that important, why not call? As least you'll know. I hate texts ,people always get in a fuss over whether it delivered - just call them up!

Notlob

Good points on both counts - the status does say 'sent' but that may be to the message centre. And probably not even to a german message centre, as how would it be identified that this message was for germany when the correct international code is not attached?

Good advice on calling them, it is silly to be sitting here worrying about a text when I can just pick up the phone and sort it out. Just curious about the process now though - I think the problem was that I had a german mobile number so it begins 40XXXXX. When I send texts to a number in this format, I get a 'failed to send' message. However, I'd saved the number as +40XXXXX, and for texts to that number do appear to send... probably the first two digits are treated as the international dialling code (Romania, 'as it 'appens) and they sit in the message centre there before deletion as there aren't enough numbers in the actual phone number to send it on.

Basically what I'm saying is is that I'll call. Thanks, UTT.