Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:53:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Box of slice

Started by problemarea, July 28, 2004, 07:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

problemarea

The lead actors are:
Nick Burns
Julian Barrett
Richard Ayoade
Charlie Condou
Nina Sosanya
Ben Wishaw

Neil

Quote from: "problemarea"The lead actors are:
Nick Burns
Julian Barrett
Richard Ayoade
Charlie Condou
Nina Sosanya
Ben Wishaw

Julian Barrett was bad enough, but if this is true then what hope does the show actually have of being enjoyable?  For fucks sake.  Someone who is an over-rated big fan of Morris hiring someone else who is an over-rated big fan of Morris...

TJ

Quote from: "Neil"Julian Barrett was bad enough, but if this is true then what hope does the show actually have of being enjoyable?  For fucks sake.  Someone who is a big fan of Morris hiring someone else who is a big fan of Morris...

And so Ricahrd Ayoade's trolling of this very forum comes back to haunt him...

Neil

QuoteAnd so Ricahrd Ayoade's trolling of this very forum comes back to haunt him...

And of course he loved the Smokehammer...

Thanks for the info problemarea.

problemarea

Ayoade doesnt have a very big part. He's very good though, from what Ive heard. And Chris Morris wouldnt cast anyone that might be shit.

weekender

Quote from: "problemarea"And Chris Morris wouldnt cast anyone that might be shit.

Why not?

problemarea

he has always got it right in the past, hasnt he?

Neil

Hey guys, cheer up... with the combined talent behind TvGoHome, The Brass Eye Special, The Mighty Boosh and Dark Place involved in this show how can it possibly be a failure?!?!

weekender

Quote from: "problemarea"he has always got it right in the past, hasnt he?

Maybe with the casting, yeah he's done alright previously.

That's no indication that he'll get it right this time though.

I'd like to refer to you to my comment in the other thread, where I at least try and suggest that whilst the casting is very important, the script is at least - if not more - important.

Quote from: "Neil"Hey guys, cheer up... with the combined talent behind TvGoHome, The Brass Eye Special, The Mighty Boosh and Dark Place involved in this show how can it possibly be a failure?!?!

Nice.

I'd like this show to be a success, I really would.  I'd prefer it if it was really successful because it was hilarious viewing though.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "TJ"
When did that happen? It must have been before I joined, what kind of thing did he post?

Peking O

People with a track record of being shit can turn out to be good, it just depends on the material they're using. I mean, I liked The Office, but I didn't like Gervais at all up to...actually there's no point in making this comment is there?

weekender

Quote from: "Peking O"People with a track record of being shit can turn out to be good, it just depends on the material they're using. I mean, I liked The Office, but I didn't like Gervais at all up to...actually there's no point in making this comment is there?

No, that sounded quite reasonable to me.  I didn't like Gervais on the 11OCS, but I think that 'The Office' is funny.  Not 'great', but 'funny'.  It made me laugh.

I refer you back to my comment about the script in the other thread.

My comedy expectations are very simple - if it's clever, funny and makes me laugh, I like it.  Sadly, it's not as simple as that, because some people think that a man dressed as a bear shouting 'cock' is the pinnacle of comedy sophistication.  I do like a more 'intellectual' type of comedy.  It's difficult to explain the difference though.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"
When did that happen? It must have been before I joined, what kind of thing did he post?

Yeah, and what was his VW name?

Dr David V

I don't know from first hand experience, but I believe it was 'a0d'.

Neil

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"

Really wacky, zany, craaazeee rubbish, the same sort of shite that dekionplexis posts and then gets roundly told to fuck off for doing so.  I think he posted mostly on the previous messageboard we had which wasn't archived, some of his stuff might still be on the archive of this board though, ah hang on: http://chilled.cream.org/vw/search.php?search_author=a0d

Quote from: "Ricahrd 'people's expectations are too high!' Ayoade"Forum: Comedy Chat   Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:56 pm   Subject: Morris predicts correctly again
"looking at pictures of women, and then saying which ones he'd hump" classik

he's a cultural gynocologist.

Oh, and here's an interesting post! http://chilled.cream.org/vw/viewtopic.php?p=104116&highlight=#104116

Quote from: "Ricahrd 'I'm armed to the jaw bone with cough syrup' Ayoade"
Brooker, niccotine text writer and king of the 'cunts'. unashamed sainsburys value range of the 'scathing satire'.

There was also a very wacky Geocities site, where he'd type deliberately badly which is something da kids seem to find fucking hilarious for some reason.  Can't be arsed looking for it now as Letterman just started.

skibz

I think that it'll never be as good as we're expecting/hoping it to be. The problem with the BES was that, after Brass Eye, it was more of the same but not as funny - still entertaining, just not superb. The same with jam - it was good, but after Blue Jam it was a let-down. I'm not saying we've been on a high note with Morris's output recently (if I can really call it that... the last four years have seen nothing particularly good), just that after having been seen as the 'reclusive genius', 'media terrorist' etc. his new work is very unlikely to be good in the same way we're expecting it to be.

Also, I've always been of the opinion that a good TV show/film is all in the directing. Take John Travolta - not the best actor of all time, agreeably, but in the hands of a good director - well, his Pulp Fiction performance speaks for itself.

To conclude, I'm not really sure. Thursday?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Ha! So he thinks Brooker is a 'king of the cunts' does he? It wasn't long ago he was here after all. Just last year he was describing Brooker as a cunt. While looking for him on google I went to his chortle page, which had a load of comments about Dark Place which apparently is "Something special. His writing and direction for Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is genius. His comic acting is also impeccable. This show will be legendary." Hmmm.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Something myy friend mused on last night: Will they actually call the show 'Cunt' when it goes out? Asterisked in listings magazines but not on screen. A boil in the bag controversy from the outset.

Thinking about it, I reckon they will.

problemarea

It wont be called "Cunt" but probably wont be called "Box of Slice" either. My money's on "Nathan Barley".

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "problemarea"Ayoade doesnt have a very big part. He's very good though, from what Ive heard. And Chris Morris wouldnt cast anyone that might be shit.

Have you seen the Brass Eye Special?

fastnet

I have. It was funny wasn't it.

no way dude, brass eye special dont work

fastnet

Godzilla Bankrolls

I'd seen all the jokes before, in Morris' other, better work. Also Pegg and Davis were shit in it.

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "problemarea"It wont be called "Cunt" but probably wont be called "Box of Slice" either.
Wow, valuable hot insider speculation there. How about "Shit of Fuck"?

problemarea

I disagree. I think it was fantastic. And Julia Davis is always amazing in my opinion.

TJ

I have to say that I don't think Julia Davis could act her way out of a paper bag. Pretty much her every 'performance' makes me wince.

And let's not start debating whether BES was a steaming heap of worthless directionless aimless shock-tactic-for-the-sake-of-it morally dubious wank or not yet again!

Godzilla Bankrolls

Can we just clarify once and for all that Julia Davis has a very limited range, and that the performance neccessary for the BES was outside of it?

Purple Tentacle

Amelia Bullmore over Julia Davies any day, both in acting range and entertainment value, and, er well.... the other.......