Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:18:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Box of slice

Started by problemarea, July 28, 2004, 07:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

The thing is, pessimistic arguments at least tend to be just that - arguments. With evidence, reasoning and a fair amount of passion behind them. Most (NB not 'all') positive 'arguments' regrettably tend to fall into one of the following categories:

- " don't judge a show until it's been broadcast, it could be the next Fawlty Towers"

- "Morris is a godlike genius, imho, I think you'll find, and essentially what he'll presumably be trying to do in his new project (that I haven't seen yet either, even though I've just been decrying you for the exact same reason) is..."

- "fuck me, I thought this was the Chris Morris site, not the Daily Mail readers George Bush handjob site!!!!"

- "i've worked on it and I can't tell you anything about it but it's brilliant"

- "my mate saw a clip through a slightly ajar door in Framestore and I can't tell you anything about it but it's brilliant"

- "what's going on here? Chris Morris makes the programmes that need to be made but no-one else dares to make, and if you don't support him then you must be in league with The War Against Terror, the BNP, Carol Vorderman and Hamburglar"

- "I've got nothing to do with the programme - I drive a lorry, Neil, a big lorry full of opinions - I'm just a fan who thinks it'll be great"

- "where are all these unquestioning sycophantic fans? I don't see any. Apart from me two posts ago, of course"

- "shut up darrell u spazzy mong durr durr i think nev fountain copies me, yes I am a brand new poster and not some bullying safety-in-numbers cunt with a longstanding grudge posting under an assumed name, honest"

- "I have every confidence that it'll be great and have reached this conclusion of my own accord. Yes I have. Mention Mitch Benn for priority parking!"

- "Yahey, look at me kids, I've got a bit of the script, worship me, worship! Now I, Zoidberg, will be the popular one!"

- "Hello, I'm a thieving hat-wearing wanker who can't draw for fucking toffee and once met Chris Morris in a lift. In order to impress him, I'm going to troll the site under a false name. I'm such a zany guy!"

- "imho imho wank wank smiley face thumbs up gif u all take ur comedy far too seriously, snide aside, ha ha"

- "More one-sided editorialising from The Mods, we shouldn't have to put up with this every time we log in, can't someone else take over the site from them?"

- "Hello, my name is Vermschneid Mehearties"

And so on ad infinitum. And, regrettably, not "Ads Infinitum".

Jaffa The Cake

While I am of the belief that BoS won't be all that good, if the positive comments can only be categorised in that many categories then we've nothing to complain about. They may not be great, but at least they're reasonably varied.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
Hang about - 'willing' something isn't making a prediction based on knowledge though is it? 'Willing' suggests you want it to be bad, which is what some people are shouting about so I don't think you should defend that stance, nobody here wants it to be bad do they? Some of us just expect it will be, there's a difference.

What about if you will it to fail because, as I suggested earlier, you think the premise is rotten from the word go? In other words, you hope it'll fail so that people (including CM) will wake up and do something better?

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
Hang about - 'willing' something isn't making a prediction based on knowledge though is it? 'Willing' suggests you want it to be bad, which is what some people are shouting about so I don't think you should defend that stance, nobody here wants it to be bad do they? Some of us just expect it will be, there's a difference.

What about if you will it to fail because, as I suggested earlier, you think the premise is rotten from the word go? In other words, you hope it'll fail so that people (including CM) will wake up and do something better?

Yeah thats okay, I'll let you do that.

Purple Tentacle

I would spunk my pants if all this Cunt-stuff turned out to be a smokescreen, and the "sitcom" was incidental to the actual piece.

Quote from: "TJ"The thing is, pessimistic arguments at least tend to be just that - arguments. With evidence, reasoning and a fair amount of passion behind them.

Whilst I agree that blindly sucking Morris' brass is irksome, I have yet to see any of this "evidence" of which you speak that suggests that this new project is going to be a stinker.  I genuinely believe that there's a good few people on here who really want it to be awful so that they can keep banging on about how shit it is and how anyone that even remotely likes it is a dumb plectrum.  No one will admit to that stance of course.

Quote from: "I'm not suggesting that he's one of those people I mention above, but Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"What about if you will it to fail because, as I suggested earlier, you think the premise is rotten from the word go?

That's just a ridiculous point of view.  How do you equate it with yourself if it turns out to be mind-blowingly superb, but yet you still hate the premise?  Will you have to kill yourself?  If it is good, surely the premise was good in the first place, because those involved knew what they were planning to do with it.

TJ

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"
Quote from: "TJ"The thing is, pessimistic arguments at least tend to be just that - arguments. With evidence, reasoning and a fair amount of passion behind them.

Whilst I agree that blindly sucking Morris' brass is irksome, I have yet to see any of this "evidence" of which you speak that suggests that this new project is going to be a stinker.  I genuinely believe that there's a good few people on here who really want it to be awful so that they can keep banging on about how shit it is and how anyone that even remotely likes it is a dumb plectrum.  No one will admit to that stance of course.

Evidence of reasons for general pessimism, not of the worth of the new project. There is a difference.

Ah, I'll accept that.

My general chagrin towards the attitude of people on here towards the project, and indeed other matters pertaining to it, remains intact, however.

TJ

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "Lewis"I remember when Blue Jam was first broadcast it just blew me away - I'd never heard a radio show like it

I had - it was called 'The League Against Tedium'. Also on Radio 1; also featuring ambient sketches, weird prose, Kevin Eldon, etc. In fact when I first heard Blue Jam I just thought "Oh, Chris Morris is having a bash at it too then. Aye aye..."

"Waiter - there's a fly in my soup!"

"Yes sir - it's fly soup."

"A sound superficially similar to that of a letter falling on the mat - the sound of no letter falling on the mat".

Jaffa The Cake

I think it's going to be Morris' return to form, I'll either be disappointed, or satisfied.

If I think it's going to be dire, I'll either be pleasantly surprised, or right. It's flawless.

Darrell

Quote from: "Mister Six"I thought the point of the Adam and Joe sketch - as with every sketch featuring the Comedy Collective or whatever those characters  were called - was that it was ripping the piss out of those people who tediously rip off comedy and try to pass it off as their own. They did similar ones with Trigger Happy TV and a few others...

The Media Chaos Collective sketches were designed as vicious pisstakes of shit comedy series which had won undeserved acclaim. They were a nice embodiment of the entire spirit of the show - reacting against po-faced, being-talked-about-pretentiously-in-interviews, licking-its-own-arse comedy by doing a good-hearted, giggly sketch show in retaliation.

And that's why Adam and Joe are great.

TJ

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "Mister Six"I thought the point of the Adam and Joe sketch - as with every sketch featuring the Comedy Collective or whatever those characters  were called - was that it was ripping the piss out of those people who tediously rip off comedy and try to pass it off as their own. They did similar ones with Trigger Happy TV and a few others...

The Media Chaos Collective sketches were designed as vicious pisstakes of shit comedy series which had won undeserved acclaim. They were a nice embodiment of the entire spirit of the show - reacting against po-faced, being-talked-about-pretentiously-in-interviews, licking-its-own-arse comedy by doing a good-hearted, giggly sketch show in retaliation.

And that's why Adam and Joe are great.

"Are you... a member? Do you know any members?". I don't know how Daisy Donovan could show her Gabriel The Toad-mouthed face in public after that.

I can only remember the jam, THTV, Mark Thomas and 11OCS ones. What were the others?

Peking O

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"What about if you will it to fail because, as I suggested earlier, you think the premise is rotten from the word go? In other words, you hope it'll fail so that people (including CM) will wake up and do something better?

Christ, Box of Slice isn't even finished yet and already you want him to 'wake up and do something better'? I'm sure if you looked at the premise of The Young Ones or Black Books on paper they might not look much cop, but they were great (at least I thought so).

TJ

Quote from: "Peking O"
Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"What about if you will it to fail because, as I suggested earlier, you think the premise is rotten from the word go? In other words, you hope it'll fail so that people (including CM) will wake up and do something better?

Christ, Box of Slice isn't even finished yet and already you want him to 'wake up and do something better'? I'm sure if you looked at the premise of The Young Ones or Black Books on paper they might not look much cop, but they were great (at least I thought so).

Better than his last couple of shows. If - and only if - Box Of Slice is no improvement.

You really shouldn't twist people's words so much.

Peking O

I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't intend to twist his words, if I did I've obviously misunderstood something ELW10 said.

thatmuch

I think it might be good, or bad, or great. It's hard to tell.

Darrell

Quote from: "thatmuch"I think it might be good, or bad, or great. It's hard to tell.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Of course chris morris has never before made a sit-com, so it's certainly a new-ish direction and we could look at it as him trying out the possibility of creating an ongoing story based project which is something I have always wanted him to make because I've long suspected he might be good at it. What will make me watch only one episode would be if it has 'green room' type visual styles and music. Please don't chris. I'd agree that media wankery sendups isnt something I get excited about so its at a disadvantage in my eyes straight away but if he pulls even something half good with this monkey on his back then perhaps he'll keep to this mode and maybe... maybe... make that movie I've always wanted him to do.

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "thatmuch"I think it might be good, or bad, or great. It's hard to tell.
Thanks for sharing that with us.
Yeah, you're spoiling all the hypothetical misery.

Pinball

Ouch this thread is so bitter it should be served in pubs ;-)

The boding isn't brilliant, but hey it may be okay! Certainly compared with the shite douled out on TV generally...

It's a shame that CM himself isn't acting in it. For me, that would be great to see again. He really should do some radio work too, something interactive with the peeeeeple and latest generation of dumb celebs. That would roll my boat.

(Sheesh I'm beginning to sounds like Rootin' Tootin')

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"he'll keep to this mode and maybe... maybe... make that movie I've always wanted him to do.
There was a little bit in the Guardian last year after My Wrongs about him considering doing a feature film.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Pinball"
It may be okay! Certainly compared with the shite douled out on TV generally.

Isn't that partly what people are objecting to? The 'At least it's not My Hero' approach. Why shouldn't it stand comparison with The Day Today or the R1 shows, the real Morris crown jewels?

I agree it's never very attractive, all this vulture-like dissection of leaked titbits. But if it's unattractive when people are negative, I think it's equally unattractive when they're optimistic. Both are based on the same info, or lack of it, and both can be destructive.

I suppose if you believe that something is rotten in the state of 2004 comedy itself, then you look to someone like Morris to present a show which yells 'For fuck's sake' very loudly (as TDT and Brass Eye did). So is it wrong to feel a bit disappointed when you see the cast is full of Barratts, Ayoades and Mangans? To think 'Oh, it's going to be more of the same Green Wing-y shit, nothing's going to change'?

Rats

Yeah, it is looking that way to be honest. Instead of showing up the immitators by moving the goalposts again, he might of relaxed into this messiah role and let them catch up. Good Christ, I hope not. I am LOL NO genious.
Maybe this is just the tip of the iceberg, only Morris is in on the joke. The show is about Nathan Barley, but Nathan Barley is Charlie Brooker and the real show centres around this "cunt" in Shoreditch making a hip "Jamesque" (his words) comedy show with camera effects and slowed down yodeling. The line "The shirt must be changed to appease the writer" was carefully scripted and the smug curl on Brookers lips as he says it has been captured from 4 different angles. The show is presented in a talking heads style documentary where morris, baynham and ianucci play different characters like dark place, obviously morris plays the director, intersperced with footage of the making of box of slice and the show. Hidden camera stuff of morris talking to Brooker, getting him to say silly things like Kim Wilde. Oh, who am I kidding. You haven't broke me down yet though, this really is three strikes and you're out though chris, bes, my wrongs, box of slice, that's it and I'm moving to the jimmy carr forums.

weekender

Quote from: "Rats"jimmy carr forums.

Please tell me that these don't exist.

Quote from: "Rats"I'm moving to the jimmy carr forums.

You won't go without me though will you?

Mundays: much funnier than Jimmy Carr.

no_offenc

's not hard, is it?