Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:24:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Box of slice

Started by problemarea, July 28, 2004, 07:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

problemarea

QuoteCan we just clarify once and for all that Julia Davis has a very limited range, and that the performance neccessary for the BES was outside of it?
Personally, I think its a matter of opinion. You think she's shit, I think she's great. I watched "Human Remains" for the first time last week and thought the subtleties of her performances were sublime. But thats just my opinion.

Neil

Quote from: "problemarea"The lead actors are:
Nick Burns
Julian Barrett
Richard Ayoade
Charlie Condou
Nina Sosanya
Ben Wishaw

Anyone know anything about the other people listed here then?  Nick Burns seems to have been in Absolute Power, Charlie Condou was (according to IMDB.com) in an episode of Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, and Armstrong and Miller.  Nina Sosanya was in Teachers and Love Actually.  And finally Ben Wishaw was apparently in that awful "Booze Cruise" thing.

This is Nina Sosayna, she was quite good in Teachers actually, before it went all shit.  

Could she be...

Quote[Role: SASHA, aged late 20's, early 30's Sex: F Description: Sasha is the receptionist/PA at 'Sugar Rape' - she is one of the few sensible people who work there. Aged late 20's / early 30's. She is generally a cool clear head in a sea of barking lads and arseholes - restores organisation and order, just gets on with her job, whilst others around her may try to 'look' like they are doing theirs. She doesn't stand any nonsense from the blokes in the office - definitely not wet/weak. She is simply a more sorted individual than most of those around her - more emotionally mature. She should be reasonably good looking (this would have been part of the criteria for hiring her no doubt). Agreements/Contracts/Fees:

problemarea

Ben Wishaw is playing Hamlet at the Old Vic.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "problemarea"
QuoteCan we just clarify once and for all that Julia Davis has a very limited range, and that the performance neccessary for the BES was outside of it?
Personally, I think its a matter of opinion. You think she's shit, I think she's great. I watched "Human Remains" for the first time last week and thought the subtleties of her performances were sublime. But thats just my opinion.

Every actor/actress can do that naturalistic thing these days. It's probably easier than doing an OTT comic performance; indeed Davis is incapable of the latter.

Darrell

Quote from: "problemarea"Ben Wishaw is playing Hamlet at the Old Vic.

Sorry, I have to compliment how fantastically euphemistic that sentence sounds.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Anyone else worried by the racist stereotypes the show appears to contain? This, after all, being a world where we're not allowed to enjoy Love Thy Neighbour without having fingers wagged at us.

Or is any concern over such things going to result in its defenders spitting 'Lighen up, mate - what are you, Rick from The Young Ones?' through their pint glasses?

Neil

Quote from: "problemarea"Ben Wishaw is playing Hamlet at the Old Vic.

Ooh so he is:

According to his online CV he plays a character called "Pingu" in BoS, but there's no mention of such a character in the breakdown that was posted in another thread.  Any ideas what he's doing in the show?  Have you seen the pliot by the way?  Any thoughts on the show so far? Any idea who is producing it? Oops, I was just rereading the character breakdown again and it says that Derrin Schlesinger is the Producer, according to his IMDB profile he also produced...erm...The Book Group.   How hands on is Morris as a director, in an email we got someone said that his mate (who is playing an extra) wanted to approach him to say hello, but he's always looking very moody when behind the camera.  Actually hang on, I'll dig that out now...

Just to mention that I briefly met an extra last night who also mentioned that the current working title is 'Box Of Slice', though he was quite certain that this would not be the final name. All else he could tell me was that it was very much 'dialogue-based' - and very funny apparently - and that he wanted to see if he could approach CM but it seems he always seemed very much in a moody, 'head in hands' situation, when behind the camera.

Thanks to Calnert for that.

Wishaw only left drama school about six months ago, the fucking fucking fucking fucking lucky bastard.

Unless that's all usual press bollocks, like the fact that Kiera Knightley is 19.  My arse she is.

Neil

Just rereading the character breakdown, and this one:

QuoteRole: MANDY, aged 19/20 Sex: F Description: Mandy is a fucked-up rich girl with a terrible coke habit - she does some modelling for 'Sugar Rape' (thus should be good looking). She must be able to pass for 13/14 years old if you were told that's how old she is - but in reality she is 19/20. Think Britney Spears in the 'Hit Me Baby One More Time' video, all pigtails and short skirts, playing on a childlike sexuality. She is utterly self-centred, untalented (but might like to be a singer one day), unstable, easily confused. Think Tara P-T on a coke binge (except not quite so posh), could veer from laughter to tears in the space of a sentence. In order to get drug money she gives the Lead character a blow job - she is a real mess. This is a big and difficult guest role - it needs a very capable actress, even though she is young. Agreements/Contracts/Fees:

...Brought to mind a bit of info someone passed on from Holy Moly (it's apparently some new Popbitch-style site, so could be utterly untrustworthy, although the scene described here seems to be very similar to stuff I've read in the Nathan Barley archive.)

If any of you manage to squeeze past the throngs of 17-your-olds looking for a wank in the dark and see "Nine Songs", "the most sexually explicit film ever made", spare a thought for the actress Margot Stilley. She appeared in the pilot for the new Chris Morris series. Her role was to simply stand naked with one leg on a desk while the other actor had a telephone conversation whilst staring at her crotch.

She had no lines and asked not to be credited.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Anyone else worried by the racist stereotypes the show appears to contain? This, after all, being a world where we're not allowed to enjoy Love Thy Neighbour without having fingers wagged at us.

Or is any concern over such things going to result in its defenders spitting 'Lighen up, mate - what are you, Rick from The Young Ones?' through their pint glasses?

No-one cares about Bo Selecta doing it, so why should anyone be bothered when The Genius Chris Morris does it?

problemarea

Yes, Sasha is played by Sosanya. I dont understand why people think its going to be racist. Because there are a couple of Blacks in it?? Im pretty sure there are some Gays too; does that make it homophobic?

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "problemarea"Yes, Sasha is played by Sosanya. I dont understand why people think its going to be racist. Because there are a couple of Blacks in it?? Im pretty sure there are some Gays too; does that make it homophobic?

It depends on how they're portrayed, I suppose. The Ben Fetch sequence in BE was a great send-up of how homosexuals are portrayed by the media.

Neil

Quote from: "problemarea"Yes, Sasha is played by Sosanya. I dont understand why people think its going to be racist. Because there are a couple of Blacks in it?? Im pretty sure there are some Gays too; does that make it homophobic?

Well it does seem to play up to a few stereotypes from the character breakdown:  Scottish alcoholic tramp, Asian shop-keeper, huge terrifying black coke dealer...  As Beloved Aunt says though, it's how they're dealt with in the final product.  We're just going on what we know so far.  

This character is surely very cliched by now:

QuoteRole: MONIKA, aged up to mid 20's Sex: F Description: Monika is aged up to mid 20's and works as a barista in a coffee shop near to 'Sugar Rape'. English is not her first language - she could be Eastern European, Malaysian or other - she speaks in broken English and this is where much of her humour comes from

The craaayzee foreigner who accidentally says the wrong thing!  Carry On Cunt.  One thing I do love though is when people who speak English as their first language use the wrong words, as in "Only Fools and Horses" and "Kath And Kim."

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Neil"Nina Sosanya was in Teachers and Love Actually.  And finally Ben Wishaw was apparently in that awful "Booze Cruise" thing.

This is Nina Sosayna, she was quite good in Teachers actually, before it went all shit.  

Wasn't she also in Bugs.  <blush>  She was pretty good in that.

Quote from: "Neil"
QuoteEnglish is not her first language - she could be Eastern European, Malaysian or other - she speaks in broken English and this is where much of her humour comes from
The craaayzee foreigner who accidentally says the wrong thing!
I have to say I didn't like the look of that either.

Neil

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"The Ben Fetch sequence in BE was a great send-up of how homosexuals are portrayed by the media.

Oh!  This reminds me, apparently there was a BBC documentary which went out  some time before the original transmission of Brass Eye.  It was apparently about a Welsh guy getting fired from the Navy because of his homosexuality, after his superiors found a list of contacts underneath his bottom drawer...I'd love to know what specific references there were to this in Brass Eye.   Does anyone remember anything about this?  I wish you could download this kind of thing from the net.

Make me smile

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Anyone else worried by the racist stereotypes the show appears to contain? This, after all, being a world where we're not allowed to enjoy Love Thy Neighbour without having fingers wagged at us.

Role: MOWGLI, aged 10 Sex: M Description: Mowgli is a 10 year old local Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi boy,

...cos they're all the same innit.

Actually, it annoyed me less that he is a drug dealing stereotype than the fact it just seems to be very sloppy casting.

That said, i'm guessing CM is creating this false universe of stereotypes to send up the 'real' world of media sterotypes and media stereotyping....or something.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Wasn't she also in Bugs.  <blush>  She was pretty good in that.

Nope. Different lady.

problemarea

QuoteThat said, i'm guessing CM is creating this false universe of stereotypes to send up the 'real' world of media sterotypes and media stereotyping....or something.
I couldnt agree more. Come on, surely Chris Morris has a little more integrity than you're all giving him credit for.

Godzilla Bankrolls

He gave up his integrity when he started doing stuff for Loaded.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Wasn't she also in Bugs.  <blush>  She was pretty good in that.
Nope. Different lady.
Apparently so.  Turns out that was Jaye Griffiths:

Oh well.  Close but no cigar.

Peking O

They probably all look the same to Fuhrer Morris anyway...

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Do we know when it's going out yet? This autumn, or early 05?

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Do we know when it's going out yet? This autumn, or early 05?

Well according to the completely pointless and confusing thread of EXACTLY THE SAME NAME it finished shooting today, which certainly points towards an autumn release, assuming it hasn't all been shot against bluescreen and they need to render a CG cod rasta-speaking lizard companion.

problemarea

Sorry, thats my fault :-(

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

Doubtlessly they'll schedule it for Autumn, and then two days before it's due to  air, some inconsiderate paedo will thoughtlessly kidnap a child and every programme will be pulled, in case they offend the child's parents, and rescheduled for summer 2005.

David Qunt

Quote from: "Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer"Doubtlessly they'll schedule it for Autumn, and then two days before it's due to  air, some inconsiderate paedo will thoughtlessly kidnap a child and every programme will be pulled, in case they offend the child's parents, and rescheduled for summer 2005.

....just after their partially charred remains are found dumped in a bin inside a garage near a school.

TJ

Hmmm, joking or not (and it's hard to tell), this probably isn't a good tone for the thread to take. I thought everyone knew that BES was pulled for technical contractual reasons and not because of 'the news', anyway?

WoShade

Suggested title for the show: Michael Grade

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "TJ"Hmmm, joking or not (and it's hard to tell), this probably isn't a good tone for the thread to take. I thought everyone knew that BES was pulled for technical contractual reasons and not because of 'the news', anyway?

I didn't know that. Or if I did, I'd forgotten. Do we know what the contractual problem was?