Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:00:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Box of slice

Started by problemarea, July 28, 2004, 07:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godzilla Bankrolls

I thought it was pulled over something to do with the editing? TJ should know, though.

The only reason BoS could be pulled would be for similar reasons - I really don't think it's going to be 'shocking' or controversial in the slightest.

Particle Man

This NME article at the time implies there were some stories in the news that may have caused BES to be pulled.

http://www.nme.co.uk/news/36518.htm

I also vaguely remembered Phil Collins threatening legal action before the show was even broadcast (a search on BBC new confimed this). Would this have affected the C4's decision at all?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/1445870.stm

TJ

it was pulled because the parents of a child who appeared in the JLB-8 sequence refused to allow it to go out when they discovered what the show actually involved (an insider told me at the time that production staff had been asked to let the parents of child performers know "as little as possible" to prevent any early hysteria) - if you look at the finished show, you can see an adult female head pasted onto one of the 'fans'. That was the sole reason as far as anyone's aware.

The 'it was pulled because of the news' panic started on The Brass List (and led to one of their number taking all of womankind to task over their responsibility for the show being pulled on our own mailing list), and that's where it should have stayed, basically.

Anyway, if that had been the real reason, would anyone *really* have objected that much?

TJ

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
Quote from: "TJ"Hmmm, joking or not (and it's hard to tell), this probably isn't a good tone for the thread to take. I thought everyone knew that BES was pulled for technical contractual reasons and not because of 'the news', anyway?

I didn't know that. Or if I did, I'd forgotten. Do we know what the contractual problem was?

Sorry, that should have been 'technical/contractual', not two seperate words!

Godzilla Bankrolls

Thanks TJ. I recall someone bringing up the superimposed head here before, but it was never explained.

Do you think Morris was pleased with the rumours that developed after it was delayed?

neveragain

Neil - what did you think was wrong with The Booze Cruise? Apart from the young lad who couldn't act (who may have been cast in Box of Whatever) and the French love affair sub-plot and the over-the-garden-fence stereotypical wives, I found it all quite enjoyable. Actually, I've probably given enough reasons now.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

I wasn't really talking about BES actually, I'd forgotten it was postponed. Sorry to lower the tone of the post.

Neil

Quote from: "neveragain"Neil - what did you think was wrong with The Booze Cruise? Apart from the young lad who couldn't act (who may have been cast in Box of Whatever) and the French love affair sub-plot and the over-the-garden-fence stereotypical wives, I found it all quite enjoyable. Actually, I've probably given enough reasons now.

Well I was at someones house, and forced to watch it, which never goes down well with me.  That's why I can't stick The Simpsons anymore.  Booze Cruise was first on around Xmas/New Year wasn't it?  I just remember it being incredibly dull.  It's hard to remember much about it really, but I think I was expecting comedy and got drama, and just really couldn't be bothered with it.

Regards the BES rescheduling, another insider told me at the time that "Channel 4 had bottled it."

TraceyQ

Just a quickie:

Noticed CaB was linked to from www.popbitch.com today when one of their posters asked for info on what CM is doing now  with regards to BoS.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Just a quickie:
Noticed CaB was linked to from www.popbitch.com today when one of their posters asked for info on what CM is doing now  with regards to BoS.

Oh dear, I am a CaB nostradamus.

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle, earlier, at 3:30"I would suggest that turning Comedy Chat into a Morris-fanboy verision of Popbitch isn't particuarly entertaining.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I keep meaning to ask - did anybody who went for that BoS audition a while back ever get called back?

problemarea

BoS wrap party is tomorrow night at "On the Rocks", on Kingsland road apparently.

mikeyg27

Quote from: "problemarea"BoS wrap party is tomorrow night at "On the Rocks", on Kingsland road apparently.

Down the road from me (quite small place, and a total bump for alcohol, but what do you expect?). Know who's going to be there?

problemarea

QuoteKnow who's going to be there?
No, I dont but I assume it will be all the cast and crew. I do know that the extras havent been invited.

notnotnatnats

I don't think a0d was Richard Ayoade, he posted on the Adam & Joe and 4later forums before joining here and from what we found out of him was a 16 year old student at the time.

TJ

No, it was him. Seriously.

notnotnatnats

Oh creepy. So that photo he sent me on msn must have been a fake. Weird.

How do you know its him?

problemarea

I saw Julian Barrett, Noel Fielding,Richard Ayoade, Julia Davis and a bunch of others who were apparently involved in "Box of Slice" in the pub the other night. i got talking to them and they were saying that CM is editing at the moment and already has rough assemblies of each ep (6 altogether). They werent willing to say too much (the producers have asked everyone to sign confidentiality clauses) but said its a return to CM's early form. But then I guess they would say that. Some of it is based around a "Dazed & Confused" type magazine but is mainly about Nathan Barley and his life. I have to say, it sounds really good.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "problemarea"I saw Julian Barrett, Noel Fielding,Richard Ayoade, Julia Davis and a bunch of others....

What an opportunity. Throw a bottle of spirits, strike a match, just think what a better world we'd be living in today. And you chickened out. We'd have made you a martyr, with a park bench with a plaque and everything.

problemarea

QuoteWhat an opportunity. Throw a bottle of spirits, strike a match, just think what a better world we'd be living in today. And you chickened out. We'd have made you a martyr, with a park bench with a plaque and everything.
Lol, Im SO sorry. Though I have to admit being a fan of the Boosh.

TJ

Quote from: "problemarea"They werent willing to say too much (the producers have asked everyone to sign confidentiality clauses)

What the? Is it a six part comedy show on a minority channel, or is it a top secret military installation? The culture of secrecy is everywhere these days.

Has anyone else noticed that, according to the DVD, one of the working titles for "The Adam And Joe Show" was "Box Of Socks"?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Why does it have to have a confidentiality clause? What's he worried about this time?

He's probably worried that his core fan base will say that it's shit before they've even seen it.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I just want to know who the writer is. Brooker, CM, or both?

alan strang

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Why does it have to have a confidentiality clause? What's he worried about this time?

I doubt he's worried about anything. It's the people who work with him who insist on building up some kind of 'mystique'. All that "Well, we haven't actually been sworn to secrecy or anything... but I get the impression that we're supposed to keep quiet about it..." palaver.

This is going to be a right royal turkey. I can't wait.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "alan strang"It's the people who work with him who insist on building up some kind of 'mystique'. All that "Well, we haven't actually been sworn to secrecy or anything... but I get the impression that we're supposed to keep quiet about it..." palaver.

How do you know that, as a matter of interest? I assumed it was Morris himself who considers his bottom-belches worthy of Top Secret status.

Quote from: "alan strang"This is going to be a right royal turkey. I can't wait.

I hate being right sometimes.

alan strang

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"
Quote from: "alan strang"This is going to be a right royal turkey. I can't wait.

I hate being right sometimes.

Nah, fuck that noise - this is a Brooker project. Morris is just there to press buttons and provide a name to sell the thing.

You behave like you know a lot about this.  Either spit it out, or stop spouting potentially piffling pieces of one sentence hackery.

Go lunch, Partridge.

alan strang

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Quote from: "alan strang"It's the people who work with him who insist on building up some kind of 'mystique'. All that "Well, we haven't actually been sworn to secrecy or anything... but I get the impression that we're supposed to keep quiet about it..." palaver.

How do you know that, as a matter of interest? I assumed it was Morris himself who considers his bottom-belches worthy of Top Secret status.

Having met the key players and The Man I've come the conclusion that he's a Maypole being danced around by a load of giggly actors and co-writers who really get off on the drama of it all. It was silly enough when it was his actual contemporaries in the business jigging about, but since this new series is written by a gaggle of Morris fans/emulators - a whole new generation rubbing themselves silly at the idea of getting a 'Ban This Sick Show' front cover from the Daily Mail (which must be a bad newspaper 'cos Peter Baynhams did say so on my internets) - then it doesn't bode particularly well for the whole project.

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"Either spit it out, or stop spouting potentially piffling pieces of one sentence hackery.

Opinions, dearest. Just opinions.