Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Her' - New Spike Jonze Fillum.

Started by Bored of Canada, August 08, 2013, 01:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS8zOLOcPMQ

First feature film since Where the Wild Things Were; which was...what? Five years ago? Cripes.
Despite calling myself a fan of his work, I still haven't even seen that one. Wasn't familiar with the book as a wee boy, or even as a grown one now, and the film just sort of slipped by me. I did see his short film he made for Arcade Fire, which was great. That said, it did feel like he was hired to make a music-video and ended up shooting a near feature films worth of rushes, and edited it together into a 20 minute short. Really good though. Adds into my theories about the guy's output but I won't get into that now.

Point is, he's shot a new film and it's coming soon. It's about a man in the future, played by Joaquin Phoenix, who installs a computer OS, voiced by Scarlett Johannsen, and they possibly inspire each other to take a new perspective on life...and possibly fall in love/find love. etc.

I don't know. It could be good. Trailer seemed a bit too sentimental and montagey for my tastes, though, as discussed repeatedly by myself, trailers are for chumps and aren't representative of the final product.

EDIT: Be warned, it has Ukeleles.

SteveDave

We'll always be togethaaaaaaa howevaaaah faaaar it seeeeems! We'll always be togethaaaaa, togethaaa in electric dreeeeams!

kitsofan34

Quote from: Bored of Canada on August 08, 2013, 01:18:19 PM
Adds into my theories about the guy's output but I won't get into that now.

Please, do spill!

I quite liked the trailer, very pretty colour palate [nb]I think that's the term[/nb]. Arcade Fire are scoring it too.

He's made a short film on a similar theme before: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1571404/

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Bored of Canada on August 08, 2013, 01:18:19 PM
and the film just sort of slipped by me.

I watched Where The Wild Things Are on DVD and it slipped by me too. I haven't a huge amount of faith in him now but I'd consider giving this one a go. I enjoyed Robot & Frank and that was about electronic/human friendship and I think Jonze has a few decent films left in him. I only watch trailers if I'm definitely not watching the film, at 2.30 minutes, they're too long.

Quote from: kitsofan34 on August 08, 2013, 01:27:08 PM
Please, do spill!

Anyone with an interest in music videos will inevitably cite Spike Jonze as "one of the greats".
I am a huge fan of his videos but I'd say that a well-done music video is a video that enhances the song, making it (even more) brilliant, and a lot of Spike Jonze's music videos seem to be more about making his own short films as opposed to the bands.

Such as the Daft Punk's "Da Funk" video. You barely even hear the track, and it literally just cuts out at points. He's been commissioned by a band to make a music video, and he returns with a short film[nb]with a lot of charm and personality[/nb] with the track slightly playing over it. Same with the Suburbs and even Praise You. I really like the videos but they feel more like showcases for his own talents than the bands.

Whereas you look at something really simple and brilliant, like Michel Gondry's video for the Chemical Brothers, "Star Guitar"[nb]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S43IwBF0uM[/nb], or just, well, any of Michel Gondry's videos. They're all about doing really inventive videos but the priority is always making the song and band look amazing. The videos are all about the feeling of the songs. Whereas Spike Jonze videos give the song it's own new feeling, and sort of takes away from the song itself by overshadowing it. I don't know if this all sounds silly.

But that Star Guitar video is all about building on the feeling of the song, and is just really clever. Whereas Da Funk is just a dog walking about with a stereo, where you can just sometimes hear the track.

Pissant

Quote from: SteveDave on August 08, 2013, 01:26:19 PM
We'll always be togethaaaaaaa howevaaaah faaaar it seeeeems! We'll always be togethaaaaa, togethaaa in electric dreeeeams!
My thoughts entirely.  Here's a link to the comparatively superior trailer for the unacquainted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek08KvgqFGM

vrailaine

I didn't give a shite about Where The Wild Things Are, the kid seemed really unlikeable and I had no affiliation with the source material. Haven't watched the trailer but I'll probably go to this,  largely due to the cast, to be honest.

Can't be any worse than the Science of Sleep anyways, which I inexplicably insist on comparing it too.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: vrailaine on August 08, 2013, 04:22:21 PM
Can't be any worse than the Science of Sleep anyways, which I inexplicably insist on comparing it too.

You do realise that the Science of Sleep is not a Spike Jonze film, (and that it is subjectively[nb]only joking, everyone literally everyone thinks it's beautiful[/nb]a thing of beauty) right?

phantom_power

A few decent films left in him? He has only made 3 films hasn't he? And he is only in his early 40s. Seems like a bit of a write-off for a director who is pretty much at the start of his career