Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:27:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[TECHY] Getting nvidia drivers to work in Mandrake 9.2 [/TECHY]

Started by no_offenc, February 10, 2004, 11:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no_offenc

Basically, I can't get Nvidia's drivers to load.  In Mandrake 9.2.  Using the Linux 2.4.22-26 kernel.

I've tried the latest drivers, and the ones before, as well as the ones that came with the distro, and X refuses to load with them.  It'll load using the XFree86 4 nv driver, but not with Nvidia's own.

So.  Anyone have any idea?  I'd post my XFree86 log but I'm in Windows and have no fuckin idea of how to get into my Linux partition from here.

gazzyk1ns

Hello fellow Mandrake 9.2 user. I don't have an Nvidia card so I don't know... but I have found the Linuxquestions.org forums very helpful, I expect they can point you in the right direction.

Timmay

You need to get the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run file, that you've downloaded from nVidia's site somewhere where you can access it from Linux - a Linux partition would be excellent! :)

You then need to run sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run in that directory, against that file. This will begin to install it or something. You will probably also need to edit the XF86Config file, using vi or similar editor, to make sure it uses the new nv driver.

If you can't tell already, I don't know much about Linux itself, I just know that I jabbed at the keys pretty randomly, and managed to get it going. It was a bitch though, I'll give you that.

gazzyk1ns

Did you two have much trouble getting your monitor's fucking refresh rate to what you wanted? That was a nightmare for me, I've got it to something "satisfactory" now but I still often boot to my Win2k partition with a view to one day sorting the refresh rate thingy properly and deleting the windows partition.

no_offenc

I've run the 5336 installer and the 4996 installer, and changed the entry in my x86config-4 file from nv to nvidia, like it says to, and still fuckage occurs.  I'm starting to pull my fuckin hair out over this.

And LinuxHelp.org forums just say to do what I have done.........aauuurghhhhhhhh!!!

Timmay

And this has dredged up a whinge...

Fucking Linux. I've just finished testing and dumping Mandrake 9.2 myself. I had the problems with the nVidia driver. Okay, I need to get that file onto the Linux partition. Fuck - can't load any windowing type software, to get a browser up, cause it's that that's fucked. Back into Windows then, and download it there. Back into Linux. Need to get access to the Windows partition. Fuck - it's NTFS, only know how to get access to FAT32. Back to Windows for help on the net. Right, make a note on **PAPER?!?!?**. Back to Linux. Okay, copy the file, and run the command. Bollocks - I've not got some compiler thing installed that I need. Only way to install something additional is through X, which I can't start yet. Reinstall Linux, making sure I install this compiler thing. Then redo the access to NTFS, run the command, install the driver, edit numerous cunting text files, finally X starts. Hooray! What to do now? Play games... load CaB through Linux, get bored, go back to Windows. Pack it away for another year.

I like Linux, but not for the OS it is, but because it's a competitor to Windows. I like Windows, but to keep it fresh and on it's toes it needs a worthy adversery. Linux ain't there yet. No way.

Timmay

What sort of "fuckage"?? Like gaz mentioned, it could be the refresh rates fucked up. Well, not matched to your monitor.

gazzyk1ns

Hehe Timmy I had to write something computery down on paper when I was setting it up too, I felt like I was writing Chinese on some papyrus or something, felt extremely weird.

After I got Manduck working 95% OK and I had Firebird as opposed to that wank Konqueror crap that they give you with KDE, it was heaven compared to the nightmare that is XP. But like I said I've been booting into my Windows 2000 partition lots lately because I know it won't cause me any headaches and sometimes that's all I want.

no_offenc

Nah, it says something about the Nvidia kernel being compiled for 5536 or whatever the fuck it is, rather than 4496, or whatever.  It's PISSING ME OFFF.  Other than that, I like Linux.  Well, only in GNOME, and then I can't fucking stand Galeon.  Konqueror is alright.

Pffftttt.

Timmay

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"After I got Manduck working 95% OK and I had Firebird as opposed to that wank Konqueror crap that they give you with KDE, it was heaven compared to the nightmare that is XP.
But XP fucking works! And works straight after it's been installed! And doesn't take 10 minutes to boot up! And recognises my sound card, and common-as-muck-graphics card without any fuckery!

I'd like to like Linux, I really would, but it makes it so hard for me!

no_offenc

If it helps...at all....here's my XF86Config-4 file:

# File generated by XFdrake.

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
# this file.

Section "Files"
   # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
   # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
   # the X server to render fonts.
   FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
   #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
   AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work
   #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
   Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
   Load "extmod"
   Load "type1"
   Load "freetype"
   Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Keyboard1"
   Driver "Keyboard"
   Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
   Option "XkbOptions" ""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse1"
   Driver "mouse"
   Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
   Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
   Option "Emulate3Buttons"
   Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
   Option "EmulateWheel"
   Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "monitor1"
   VendorName "Generic"
   ModelName "1024x768 @ 70 Hz"
   HorizSync 31.5-57.0
   VertRefresh 50-70

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?
   # 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "1024x480"    65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344   480  488  494  563 -hsync -vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
   # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "768x576"     50.00  768  832  846 1000   576  590  595  630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "768x576"     63.07  768  800  960 1024   576  578  590  616
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "monitor2"

ModeLine "1024x480"    65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344   480  488  494  563 -hsync -vsync

EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "device1"
   Driver "nv"
   Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "screen1"
   Device "device1"
   Monitor "monitor1"
   DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 8
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 15
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 16
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 24
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier "layout1"
   Screen "screen1"
   #Option "Xinerama"
   InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
   InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Sorry about that.  But maybe someone has some idea....I know I have to change "nv" to "nvidia" in the device driver bit.  That's it tho.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Timmay"
Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"
I'd like to like Linux, I really would, but it makes it so hard for me!

I know exactly what you mean, although for me it's 2000 not XP tempting me back. XP was pissing me off in so many different ways, it was silly. Was talking to a Linux-head the other day and he was saying that why people like us find it hard is that whilst Linux is brilliant, the various X Windows environments aren't and that's the achillies heel.

David Qunt

Same problem here. Mine is a Compaq Presario 6140 with an NVidia NForce motherboard/chipset, and I got everything working except the MCP Networking Adapter. You shouldn't have to recompile a kernel just to get a fucking ethernet adapter working.

Moreover, it can't write to NTFS partitions, which mine are, it can only read them. So the result in my case was that I gave up and went back to XP, which I've been using for three years quite happily.

Rats

I are wondering how an hillarious it would be to mention bin files.

David Qunt

Quote from: "Rats"I are wondering how an hillarious it would be to mention bin files.

Perhaps just clarifying what you mean would be a start :)

Timmay

In the absence of any specific knowledge as to why it's not working, here's my XF86Config-4 file that works for me, with a GeForce4 Ti4200 card, and a Dell 15" flat screen...

# File generated by XFdrake.

# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
# this file.

Section "Files"
   # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
   # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
   # the X server to render fonts.
   FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
   #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
   AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work
   #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
   Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
   Load "extmod"
   Load "type1"
   Load "freetype"
   Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Keyboard1"
   Driver "Keyboard"
   Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
   Option "XkbOptions" ""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse1"
   Driver "mouse"
   Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
   Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
   Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "monitor1"
   VendorName "Plug'n Play"
   ModelName "Dell 1504FP (Digital)"
   HorizSync 30-60
   VertRefresh 60-75

EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "device1"
   VendorName "NVidia"
   BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
   Driver "nvidia"
   Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "screen1"
   Device "device1"
   Monitor "monitor1"
   DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 8
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 15
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 16
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 24
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier "layout1"
   InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
   InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
   Screen "screen1"
EndSection

Something I had to do in addition, was run the XF86Config program - which is a horrible horrible example of how bad things are in Linux - because X kept trying to start in too high a refresh mode for my flat screen. So I had to lower it to something useful.

no_offenc

And now it works.  Cos I used the 5536 drivers instead of the 4996 ones.  Boof.

Tux Racer for all!!

bill hicks

You do all realise that you'll be dead in about 50 years or so and you'll look back on all this with a feeling of utter despair at the waste of it all?

Just use Windows and use the extra time you saved spunking your cash on a whore when the cancer goes terminal. My plan anyway.

no_offenc