Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:27:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alternative to Adobe Audition

Started by clingfilm portent, August 10, 2013, 11:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi there. Any of you musos out there will know the importance of a good waveform editor thingy. I've been using Audition since it was Cool Edit Pro and I'd like to move onto something a bit more... just better basically. It has served me well but it has weird bugs in it, several of the built-in effects grind my admittedly dinosaurish PC to a halt. I'd really like something new for quick editing and EQ of mp3, wav, flac and the occasional m4a.

So please, gents, your recommendations.

And before any of you smartmouths say Audacity, I'm already considering it!

NoSleep

REAPER. It's free to try as long as you want, and, if you like it, throw them the tiny amount of dosh they asking.

It does a whole lot more than editing and is very flexible (for example: you can drag files of many formats, sample rates & bit rates into the main window and they all play together perfectly).

mcbpete

Funnily enough I've been on the hunt too as my version of Cool Edit has finally disagreed with my OS and refuses to remain registered every time you restart it (meaning you have to reinstall it every time). I've actually ended up only slightly upgrading by moving to Adobe Audition 1.5 which works an absolute charm and is essentially just a bug fixed Cool Edit and was the last version before any of the bloat that Abobe loves to cram in their products.

So maybe try regressing to that earlier version for a super speedy bug free wave editor without any of the nonsense. But as above if you want a really good DAW then Reaper is ace too

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I can't wait for a Daw that i can use my hands to manipulate rather than a mouse, like some sort of musician Minority Report cop.

NoSleep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 10, 2013, 04:38:45 PM
I can't wait for a Daw that i can use my hands to manipulate rather than a mouse, like some sort of musician Minority Report cop.

I just got one of these for that precise reason:

..and it's fucking brilliant. Ginyard(R.I.P.) recommended it to me.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BCF2000.aspx

Whilst the instructions for its use with various programs is a bit obscure, there are some nice YouTube tutorials in its use. This one for using it in Logic Control mode is amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK0ZyodIpds&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLDEE8614200ECCD96

Works with REAPER, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muYXD75WJNQ

Artemis

Audition CC isn't at all bad - have you upgraded to that yet? It suits all my needs, and some of the effects are very impressive.

mcbpete

Quote from: Artemis on August 10, 2013, 09:16:59 PM
Audition CC isn't at all bad - have you upgraded to that yet? It suits all my needs, and some of the effects are very impressive.
Just went to the Adobe website -
System requirements

- 2GB of RAM
- 2GB of available hard-disk space for installation;
Bloody hell, how/what have they put in it to take up 2 gigabytes for the install ?!

JesusAndYourBush

I'd recommend an older version of Soundforge (before Sony took it over and messed it up).

NoSleep

Quote from: mcbpete on August 10, 2013, 10:32:42 PM
Just went to the Adobe website -Bloody hell, how/what have they put in it to take up 2 gigabytes for the install ?!

That's just madness. I still use Bias Peak for 2-Track editing, which takes all of 10.6MB. If you want FX I think it would be better to go look for VST/AU plugins; there's a ton of free stuff out there and it won't take up 2GB of your system.