Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:01:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is this time travel film?

Started by Ja'moke, August 12, 2013, 12:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

I can't for the life of me think of the name of this film and Google isn't helping, so I need you guys.

It is a low-budget indie film to do with time travel (not Primer), at least I think it is time travel, it might be clones? I can't remember much about it other than it having three main characters, a woman and two men, I think they are either in prison or some sort of institute? They discover that they are in a time loop and start taking advantage of the situation and they become more violent and deranged. That's all I really remember.

Any ideas?

Ja'moke

It's ok. I've found it. It's called 'Repeaters'. Crisis averted.

Thomas

Looks to me like you were contacted by your future self with the information. Got my eye on you.

Replies From View

Small Man Big Horse

I watched this tonight as I'm sure someone recently mentioned it being good in another thread that I can't find, and, well, I can't say it worked for me sadly. It's annoying as there are elements I liked, but it's far too over-earnest, and whilst I'd normally avoid such a labeling, a touch emo. Our protagonists mope about for a fair bit of the film
Spoiler alert
whilst trying to overcome their demons, and it comes complete with an overplayed "Drugs & incest are bad, mmmmkay" theme.
[close]
Sure there's a fun segment when they realise they can get away with doing anything they like and so
Spoiler alert
rob a convenience store, do crystal meth, make a drug dealer eat cow poo, etc,
[close]
but then it becomes grim again with the overbearing soundtrack highlighting throughout how tragic it all is.

It's frustrating as there are times it's quite fun, and it's nicely shot and there are some okay ideas here. But in taking itself all too seriously (and
Spoiler alert
having a shit
[close]
ending) I can't say I really enjoyed it overall.

Replies From View

WATCH IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BlodwynPig

Here's one...quite a famous one i guess

camera flashes, something happen like he forgets.

NoSleep

A harrowing retelling of Groundhog Day? Sorry, that's already been done; before Groundhog Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVooyfaPYD8

Famous Mortimer

Agree with SMBH (although I liked it a bit more than he did). I'm a sucker for a low-budget time travel film, though.

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 07, 2014, 12:18:42 PM
Here's one...quite a famous one i guess

camera flashes, something happen like he forgets.

Are you asking because you don't know?  I suspect it's Memento.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 07, 2014, 01:50:46 PM
Agree with SMBH (although I liked it a bit more than he did). I'm a sucker for a low-budget time travel film, though.

I think I was so harsh about the film because I wanted to like it more than I did. Like you I noted around the 45 minutes point that they'd already packed a lot in to the running time, but it was the second half of the film that disappointed.
Spoiler alert
Every time things looked like they were going to get more deranged and fucked up, it would slow to a snail's pace whilst a character would express his or her feelings about past events, and that it was all resolved by Kyle saying he'd care for his Sister, and the girl 'forgiving' her Father, disappointed a lot. Especially as Michael did nothing to change his situation (though I guess that is explained by the final coda, but still...). The final confrontation between Kyle and Michael was annoying and predictable too, which frustrated. Oh, and like you I had doubts about whether Kyle was actually a good actor, or just okay at looking emotionally numb a lot.
[close]
So a bit of a missed opportunity then, and a real shame as it had the ingredients to be a really intriguing piece.