Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Venture

Just seen Angst. That was pretty grimdark.

Seeing The Conjuring this weekend.

Mini

I saw You're Next and much preferred it to The Conjuring, even though it's just an ok slasher film. Sometimes I just want to sit down and watch some pricks get killed horribly one by one, and on that front it delivered with some good effects and a surprising lead performance. At least it knows it's just another slasher film and has some fun with it, unlike The Conjuring's tedious cries of "THIS IS THE SCARIEST THING EVER THAT ACTUALLY REALLY DEFINITELY HAPPENED."

Famous Mortimer

You could all do worse than watching the films of Christopher Smith - Creep, Severance, Triangle and Black Death.

"Triangle" isn't much of a horror film (although it is absolutely fantastic, one of my favourite films of recent years), but the rest of them are, and I think Smith stands a decent chance of being one of Britain's finest modern directors, if he gets his finger out and does some more films.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 30, 2013, 09:14:48 AM
You could all do worse than watching the films of Christopher Smith - Creep, Severance, Triangle and Black Death.

"Triangle" isn't much of a horror film (although it is absolutely fantastic, one of my favourite films of recent years), but the rest of them are, and I think Smith stands a decent chance of being one of Britain's finest modern directors, if he gets his finger out and does some more films.

Ehh ... entitled to your opinion, or whatever.  But you should definitely have included a Trigger Warning for Danny Dyer.

Jawaka

Ah yeah, Triangle, I watched it on Netflix or Lovefilm, definitely worth a watch.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Junglist on August 29, 2013, 03:26:39 PM
I got roughly 45 minutes into Magic Magic before having to switch off through tedium. Please tell me something of note happens, preferably Cera not appearing any more.

Oddly enough I loved Magic Magic, and thought Cera was superb. I didn't know anything about it going in but felt it had a deeply unsettling atmosphere throughout the whole running time, and the performances (especially Temple) were fantastic. But each to their own and all that.[nb]But myself and Moribunderast are definitely right, and your good self and clingfilm portent are wrong and have brains that don't work properly or something![/nb]

Hank Venture

Ah, I've seen Black Death. Was good, that.

Mini

I like Creep, nice and scuzzy - I think about it every time I take the tube.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mini on August 30, 2013, 11:49:10 PM
I like Creep, nice and scuzzy - I think about it every time I take the tube.

I always think about An American Werewolf In London. And I use the tube a lot. :(

Angst in my Pants

If you liked Insidious, I think you'll love Insidious 2. We were lucky enough to get free screenings of a double bill at the Prince Charles Cinema earlier this week, and seeing them both back to back was a real pleasure. The sequel
Spoiler alert
builds pleasantly either side of the original - adding to the history of the story of the original, and building into its future.
[close]
Great fun, and a massive improvement on the disappointent I felt with The Conjuring.

prwc

Just watched A Night To Dismember. Perhaps I should make a separate thread for bad horror films as it by no means good but I loved it. Totally inept and very gory murder mystery, around 1/3 of the film was lost so it's really disjointed feeling. One of the most genuinely surreal films I've seen, I loved every minute and have to thank the incompetent film lab person for losing those reels that made it so enjoyably nonsensical. Best watched high and at 4 AM like my winner of a self did I think.

Hank Venture

I thought The Conjuring was great. Me and the two girls (yeah, deal with it) I went with were all terrified.

acrow

You're wrong. It's shit. You and those two imaginary girls should be ashamed.

Hank Venture

The girls and I think you're shit.

Bad Ambassador

The Mist and The Fog are both great, while totally different.

I watched The Crazies last night, and it was great, but I'd say it was borderline as to whether it was horror. More a thriller with a few horror elements thrown in for colour.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Hank Venture on September 01, 2013, 11:48:46 PM
I thought The Conjuring was great. Me and the two girls (yeah, deal with it) I went with were all terrified.

BOO!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 02, 2013, 12:35:35 AM
The Mist and The Fog are both great, while totally different.

I watched The Crazies last night, and it was great, but I'd say it was borderline as to whether it was horror. More a thriller with a few horror elements thrown in for colour.
I rather like both versions of "The Crazies", which may be anti-Romero heresy or something but the new one is surprisingly decent.

Bad Ambassador

A bit like the remake of Dawn of the Dead, the remake strips out the smarts of the original, but leaves behind a pretty lean and entertaining horror, definately at the top end of the remake pile.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 02, 2013, 07:03:16 AM
I rather like both versions of "The Crazies", which may be anti-Romero heresy or something but the new one is surprisingly decent.

I'm very fond of the original, but personally think the new version is the better film. The first is a great idea but overly ambitious for such a low budget and an (fairly) inexperienced filmmaker - although I rather like that, admittedly - the execution is lacking and it's one that I would only recommend in a very qualified way.

Quite a few Romero fans I know don't rate it at all – I suspect I was quite fortunate as the stuff I heard about it was negative or, at best, damning with faint praise, so I had very low expectations and was rather delighted with it.

As I say, the idea was a good 'un and it was good candidate for a remake – more so than something that really just seems to be a cash-in. Thought they did a smashing job and thought that Timothy Olyphant, as ever, was terrific. I think everyone I know who has seen has enjoyed it. Bit of a tangent, but one of my female friends surprised her boyfriend by saying they should go and see it, as she doesn't like horror that much, but then he remembered she does like Olyphant!

Obel

Quote from: Ignatius_S on September 02, 2013, 01:28:54 PM
Timothy Olyphant, as ever, was terrific.

This line is a joke, right?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jawaka on August 29, 2013, 03:55:28 PM
Bah, not keen on it? I know it's not as good as House of 1000 Corpses but I still like it. I've been meaning to watch Rob Zombie's latest film, it's had a lot of negative feedback though...

Nope, I'm afraid I loathed it. The idea that we have a bunch of reprehensible killers, who have tortured and murdered scores of young women and we witness terrorising a small group of people, but who then we're meant to root for, when a sheriff insane with grief begins to err... murders one of them and begins to torture the others, is a concept that escapes me.

Then again, I'm not the target audience for the film I felt it's all meant to be found very amusing. When the character gets run of by the lorry (after experiencing God only knows what horror and sexual violence), a friend said 'Shit, I was really hoping she was going to survive,' I turned to him and replied, 'Paul, it ain't that kind of film.'

I'm a big fan of Geoffrey Lewis and was just shaking my head that he had to appear in something as awful as this. The closing scene set to Free Bird is remarkable.

The only Zombie film I've seen since then was the first party of his Halloween reboot. This was against my better judgement, but wanted to see it because I like Malcolm McDowell. The first time I thought it was rather a stinker, but the odd decent performance (plus, it had Brad Dourif, who I also like) – however, the second time, my impressions weren't as positive and I couldn't finish watching it. Don't think I could bring myself to watch another Zombie film, now.

SteveDave

Was I alone in liking the remake of The Hills Have Eyes?

Hank Venture

Just saw Sinister.

Now that, was shit.

Johnny Townmouse

Emo goth cosplay man done killed them.

Mini

The Half in the Bag for Sinister is good. "You've got a Bagul problem." Terrible film.

Hank Venture

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on September 02, 2013, 11:51:17 PM
Emo goth cosplay man done killed them.

It was a Slipknot roadie, I thought.

Johnny Townmouse

When the moment comes (the freeze-frame of Brandon Lee as The Crow with Kiss make-up in the swimming pool?) it really is a lol moment. It actually manages to create quite an unnerving tone up to that point.

billtheburger

I watched American Mary last night. I feel dirty today, but it's a good horror film.

Custard

Quote from: SteveDave on September 02, 2013, 03:53:36 PM
Was I alone in liking the remake of The Hills Have Eyes?

Nah, it was ace. Another remake that is possibly better than the original, methinks.

Hank Venture, I don't mean this sarcastically or snidely, but would you might explaining what you found great about The Conjuring?

Oh, and tell us more about the girls

In fact, forget about The Conjuring, just tell us about the girls

zomgmouse

Speaking of bags, has anyone seen Baghead? I didn't mind that. For all its mumblecoreyness, it managed to eventually create a rather unsettling feeling.