Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:25:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ads82

I watched The Enitity last night and was throughly impressed. Genuinely chilling and disturbing with a fantastic performance by Barbara Hershey, the soundtrack that played when the attacks occurred made me grind my teeth with tension.

Don't just take my word for it Martin Scorsese, rates it as one of the best horror films of all time!

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: ads82 on October 27, 2017, 07:40:32 AM
I watched The Enitity last night and was throughly impressed. Genuinely chilling and disturbing with a fantastic performance by Barbara Hershey, the soundtrack that played when the attacks occurred made me grind my teeth with tension.

Don't just take my word for it Martin Scorsese, rates it as one of the best horror films of all time!

I first saw that when  I was about 10 and it scared the fuck out of me. The score has stuck with me ever since and sends shivers down my spine when I think about it.

Rev

Quote from: Steven on October 15, 2017, 02:46:16 AM
I'm in the middle of watching The Babysitter and think it might be good, we'll see.

It's surprisingly good, particularly from a prick who calls himself McG.  Went in with very low expectations but it's a silly blast of a thing, anyone who appreciates 'Ash vs. Evil Dead' will have fun with it.

Was the original 'Creep' the one where a character suddenly goes a bit angry and smashes out all of the windows in the little hut they're hiding in, for no reason other than the plot needed the villain to jump in and grab them?  If the sequel has a worse moment than that then I'm definitely interested.

Steven

Quote from: Rev on October 28, 2017, 01:00:56 AM
It's surprisingly good, particularly from a prick who calls himself McG.  Went in with very low expectations but it's a silly blast of a thing, anyone who appreciates 'Ash vs. Evil Dead' will have fun with it.

It's silly enough, but the characters are all self-aware, in that they are constantly questioning events around them in a post-modern ironic way - could get a little grating. Makes it slightly harder to predict as their motivations aren't so readily apparent, but then as is typical these days the fucking trailer gives away how most of the characters die.

QuoteWas the original 'Creep' the one where a character suddenly goes a bit angry and smashes out all of the windows in the little hut they're hiding in, for no reason other than the plot needed the villain to jump in and grab them?  If the sequel has a worse moment than that then I'm definitely interested.

There's a few movies of the same name, but I don't think so, Creep - it's a strange bloke who puts out an advert for someone to torturously follow him around making a documentary.

Rev

Right, I did think it was a curiously long gap between the original and the sequel.  I was thinking about the absolute shiter set in a disused London underground station.

zomgmouse

(slightly copying this from my post in the "what have you seen" thread)

Braindead was every bit as amazing as I was hoping more, and then some. In the beginning it did sort of kind of drag a little but once it got going, hoo boy. Great stuff. I loved it. There was so much shocking and inventive and creative gore, the effects were a lot of fun as well. The baby was a particular favourite.

I also saw Maximum Overdrive but that was not very good at all.

Howj Begg

Hausu - what the fuck did I just watch

Custard

The Limehouse Golem (2017) - A well made film, but sadly I found this a bit of a snooze. Didn't really care for any of the characters, which can make two hours in their company quite the slog. Worth a watch, but not one to go out of your way for. ***

Train To Busan (2017) - Blimey, this was absolutely brilliant. One of the best zombie films, and best horrors I've seen in a long, long time. Fantastically brutal, visceral, heart-pounding, edge of your seat stuff! *****

Pet (2016) - Charlie From Lost takes a lady hostage and keeps her caged in his workplace. Not quite your usual bunny-boiler story, as there's some nice twists and turns along the way. No baaaad. ***

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: ads82 on October 27, 2017, 07:40:32 AM

Such a dark and bleak film. It really is extremely unsettling. Wasn't it based on true events or whatever they call that these days?

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 30, 2017, 10:56:45 AM

Train To Busan (2017) - Blimey, this was absolutely brilliant. One of the best zombie films, and best horrors I've seen in a long, long time. Fantastically brutal, visceral, heart-pounding, edge of your seat stuff! *****

I've been wanting to give this a go. I'm bored to my back teeth of zombie films (Battery being a major exception) so will give this a go based on your 5 star rating. If it's shit I'm coming after you for my two hours back.

Custard

Well, it won't be for everyone, but I found it really exciting and tense. Almost unbearably so!

neveragain

I will echo the praise for Busan. Fantastic stuff.

I've seen a lot of horror films recently and have enjoyed Hellraiser, It Follows and The Babadook for different reasons. The latter two tense and slow-burning, the first exquisite camp demonic fun.

Friday The 13th however.. I'm unsure. It seems half technically brilliant and half shit.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on October 30, 2017, 05:09:46 PM
I've been wanting to give this a go. I'm bored to my back teeth of zombie films (Battery being a major exception) so will give this a go based on your 5 star rating. If it's shit I'm coming after you for my two hours back.

DON'T DO IT
IT IS REALLY NOT WORTH IT
THE PEOPLE ARE SO BORING AND PREDICTABLE AND NOTHING THEY DO IS INTERESTING
(except the zombies are superb)

phantom_power

Finally got round to watching Suspiria and it was much as I expected. Classic late 70s/early 80s Argento; Shit acting, nonsensical or boring plot but amazing cinematography and violence.

Loved the music as well, credited as by "The Goblin" in the opening credits as well.

I watched it on a pretty good app on the firestick called Tubitv (also available on phones and computers as well I think). It is a free streaming service with some interesting cult films on there, as well as lots of stand-up shows and music bits and bobs. Rubbish for "proper" films but it has Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles, Streetfigher, Blood Feast and lots of other cult classics to stream for free (with a few annoying ads)

Bad Ambassador

If someone could explain to me the appeal of Return of the Living Dead, I'd be grateful. I saw it at the weekend, and it was shite.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 01, 2017, 02:32:51 PM
If someone could explain to me the appeal of Return of the Living Dead, I'd be grateful. I saw it at the weekend, and it was shite.

Not having that. ROTLD is of its time but there are loads of ideas and jokes to enjoy still. Some top comedy performances and quite scary in its own way too. Why did you think it was shite?

zomgmouse

I remember ROTLD was quite funny and lighthearted while still having cool deaths and undeaths. Mind you it's been a while.

phantom_power

Yeah it is really fun until it isn't and then it is really grim and faintly disturbing

Custard

Love ROTLD!

It's certainly of its time, but it never fails to be brilliant. My mate introduced me to it around ten years ago, and I must have watched it 6 or 7 times since. Just a big load of fun

Mini

So much fun. Punk rock zombie comedy. "It worked in the movie!"

Bad Ambassador

The comedy isn't funny. The horror isn't scary. It tries too hard and insists upon itself, and feels too much like a comic strip.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 02, 2017, 10:54:10 AM
The comedy isn't funny. The horror isn't scary. It tries too hard and insists upon itself, and feels too much like a comic strip.

The early scene where Frank explains to Freddy about the morgue's little secret is wonderful. I think Frank's performance is very funny here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mZEPgvvd4I

There are some top comedy moments. "Bring more paramedics", "Brainssss!!!" The slimy pathologist character. The creepy notion of the undead being horrendously starving the whole time that they have no choice but to kill. The butterflies and dissected dog coming alive was inspired and the tar man was pant pissing scary in 1985.

The comic strip thing. There were a lot of 80s horror/sci-fi films that were informed by the pulp style tradition of 1950s/60s EC horror comics (belying the director's age and influence): ie: Gremlins, Creepshow, The Evil Dead, House, Cat's Eye, Braindead, Tales From The Darkside etc. That's why they seem larger than life because they're drawing from that hokey comic book way of story telling.

BTW Watching the Illinois mob in Stranger Things last night evoked the cartoon punks from ROTLD.

If you've come to the film late and post-Shaun Of The Dead/ The Walking Dead/ Ash Vs The Evil Dead I can see why you might think it isn't that sophisticated but 'shite' seems a little harsh.

Bad Ambassador

When I say comic strip, I don't mean comic book. Everything is too over-the-top and garish, the characters are non-existent and the plotting clumsy. I just couldn't engage with it at all.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 02, 2017, 12:35:01 PM
When I say comic strip, I don't mean comic book. Everything is too over-the-top and garish, the characters are non-existent and the plotting clumsy. I just couldn't engage with it at all.

But that's why it is OTT, garish and the characters are broad because they're are aping that horror comic book style. Ah well. Not a style for everyone, fair enough.

You should probably avoid Re-Animator and Weird Science that came out the same year then.

Bad Ambassador

I wasn't keen on Re-Animator, but Weird Science I quite like. It's a very different film that's overtly a comedy with a sci-fantasy premise.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 02, 2017, 02:59:23 PM
Weird Science I quite like. It's a very different film that's overtly a comedy with a sci-fantasy premise.

True.

I probably allow my teenage nostalgia to colour my love for eighties horror.

thraxx

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 29, 2017, 12:49:22 PM
I watched Starry Eyes last night, it's Bart Sells His Soul but with a fit bird instead of Bart. That's a good thing,

I really enjoyed this.  The film is essentially a modern take on the Faust story but maintains a sense of doom and heavy atmosphere.  With the Weinstein scandal broken, it's also incredibly relevant.  It's well shot, cast and acted and avoids schlock and cheap jump scares.  The lead actress is particularly good, and incredibly hot.  My only criticism is that the film's final act strays too far from the heavy and intense slow slide into hell bleakness, into a cheap slasher film.  Not enough to ruin the film, but enough to be annoying.  Thanks for the recommend Jerzy!

billtheburger

I'd like to echo the love for Wyrmwood - and I personally reached zombie burnout about five years ago. I nearly turned it off at the opening scene.

ads82

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on October 30, 2017, 05:06:37 PM
Such a dark and bleak film. It really is extremely unsettling. Wasn't it based on true events or whatever they call that these days?

It really is, the initial attack occurs within the first 5 minutes of the film, so I was interested to see how the story stretched out over the course of 2 hours. It builds upon her ordeal by her searching for answers through psychological and paranormal means which I found fascinating. Yes, it's based on a true story apparently! There are YouTube documentaries on the case, none of which I've seen yet though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irL6cZY0D2c&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyO1Dllhe38

Also watched Sleepaway Camp last night, i struggled to get into it first but I have a feeling that ending will stay with me for a long time.