Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,461
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:08:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Ship

Quote from: zomgmouse on November 05, 2017, 12:54:03 AM
Killer Klowns from Outer Space. The costumes and sets in this more than make up for the wavering levels of humour. Really impressed by the clowns in this. Plus the general goofy vibe won me over in the end.

Speaking of Clown based horror, is "Stitches" any cop?

Weirdly long story, I watch "Good Mythical Morning" on Youtube and they were doing a segment on Unusual Netflix films and "Stitches" came up - the hosts Rhett and Link, had no idea who Ross Noble was and took the piss a little, only for there to be a bit of a spat between Noble fans and GMM fans. Anyway, I had a bit of a look around at some trailers and it looks rather fun, reminiscent of early Peter Jackson in my view, but I'd like to know what other people thought.

Edit: New page, erm, Clowne?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Black Ship on November 27, 2017, 01:01:21 AM
reminiscent of early Peter Jackson in my view

If you like films reminiscent of early Peter Jackson check out the New Zealand film Deathgasm about a teenage metal band summoning Satan/demons.

Paaaaul

And Body Melt, starring Harold Bishop

Paaaaul

Quote from: Black Ship on November 27, 2017, 01:01:21 AM
Weirdly long story, I watch "Good Mythical Morning" on Youtube and they were doing a segment on Unusual Netflix films and "Stitches" came up - the hosts Rhett and Link, had no idea who Ross Noble was and took the piss a little, only for there to be a bit of a spat between Noble fans and GMM fans. Anyway, I had a bit of a look around at some trailers and it looks rather fun, reminiscent of early Peter Jackson in my view, but I'd like to know what other people thought.

It's OK. At best.

Brundle-Fly

Ross Noble has just starred in another horror from Stitches to Nails (2018). He makes a good villain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9A0iemqMD0

St_Eddie

Quote from: Paaaaul on November 28, 2017, 01:53:59 PM
Body Melt, starring Harold Bishop

Oooh, I'm so glad that you reminded me of this.

When we were kids, I remember my Sister and I uncontrollably guffawing at the sight of a VHS of that film on sale (at a reduced price) at our local Blockbusters.  The cover had a little circular photo of Ian Smith's forlorn round face in one corner, with the words 'Starring Harold Bishop from Neighbours' proudly written besides it.  It was just the idea that the distributor for this film thought that getting 'Harold Bishop from Neighbours was some kind of major coup.  On the other hand, it's a strategy that drew our attention to an otherwise entirely unnoteworthy box, so I guess it worked... kinda (it's not like we ever watched it or anything).

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: St_Eddie on November 28, 2017, 04:42:49 PM
Oooh, I'm so glad that you reminded me of this.

When we were kids, I remember my Sister and I uncontrollably guffawing at the sight of a VHS of that film on  sale (at a reduced price) at our local Blockbusters.  The cover had a little circular photo of Ian Smith's forlorn round face in one corner, with the words 'Starring Harold Bishop from Neighbours' proudly written besides it.  It was just the idea that the distributor for this film thought that getting 'Harold Bishop from Neighbours was some kind of major coup.  On the other hand, it's a strategy that drew our attention to an otherwise entirely unnoteworthy box, so I guess it worked... kinda (it's not like we ever watched it or anything).

Don't forget little Toby Mangel gets slaughtered in this.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 28, 2017, 06:29:33 PM
Don't forget little Toby Mangel gets slaughtered in this.
I'm pretty sure that there's a third Neighbours alumnus in there too, and I'm going to have to watch this again this week to find out if I'm right.
It was on Amazon Prime vid last time I looked.

SteveDave

Melanie (with the hyuk hyuk laugh) is in one scene as a secretary or sutin right near the start.

St_Eddie

Quote from: SteveDave on November 29, 2017, 10:16:56 AM
Melanie (with the hyuk hyuk laugh) is in one scene as a secretary or sutin right near the start.

Tell 'em, SteveDave!

Paaaaul

Quote from: SteveDave on November 29, 2017, 10:16:56 AM

Thanks. I won't watch it again now.

Steven

The Corpse Of Anna Fritz 2015

Spanish language horror about a couple of Legend Garys who hear from their mate who works in a hospital it is currently housing the corpse of a recently dead famous actress from an overdose, and fancy a bit of coke-fuelled Savile-esque 'fun' in the morgue before attending a party, which goes slightly awry. Suggested to me by our very own DukeDeMondo.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Steven on December 05, 2017, 03:03:38 AM
The Corpse Of Anna Fritz 2015

Spanish language horror about a couple of Legend Garys who hear from their mate who works in a hospital it is currently housing the corpse of a recently dead famous actress from an overdose, and fancy a bit of coke-fuelled Savile-esque 'fun' in the morgue before attending a party, which goes slightly awry. Suggested to me by our very own DukeDeMondo.

Just watched this based on that suggestion.  Not sure it quite fulfills the thread criteria of "Good" or "Horror", but it is a "Movie" I suppose.

Aside from the initial necro-lads premise, it's a pretty standard "burn the evidence" flick, complete with the most stock characters imaginable from that subgenre (the good one, the pathetic frightened one and the enthusiastically ruthless one).  Still, it's just about watchable and mercifully short, but not worth a whole lot of much.  It's about as good as Donkey Punch.

Steven

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 05, 2017, 11:53:56 AM
Just watched this based on that suggestion.  Not sure it quite fulfills the thread criteria of "Good" or "Horror", but it is a "Movie" I suppose.

Well, I wasn't sure if it could be categorised as "Horror" either as I was expecting it to go in a supernatural direction which it didn't, but there's a few murders involved and there's loads of supposed classic Horrors that are just about unhinged killers. I'll usually recommend anything I can actually sit through without turning off these days, so piss-poor is the genre I find. I think you're even more jaded than me. I've tried to sit through various other "Horrors" like Baskin several times without fruition.

And I didn't say Duke recommended The Corpse Of Anna Fritz or if he's seen it yet, only he suggested it as a movie with a similar premise from discussing The Autopsy Of Jane Doe which I also thought was worth a watch and after viewing he described as "pedestrian", "horrible dialogue", "awful, unconvincing performances", "ineffective scares," and "absolutely piss." So there you go.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 21, 2017, 09:35:54 PM
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue

Got cracking with the recommendations and started with this last night. I really enjoyed it. The soundtrack is great - I love all that '70s synth screeching and glooping and what have you - and even though it takes half the film for the action to really kick off, once it does, it's very entertaining. I was expecting quite a conventional fare but it takes some unexpected turns and the ending was definitely satisfying.

It does have that sort of dreamlike vibe to it as well, doesn't it? Some of the scenes, like the one where Martin is photographing the flower, are so noticeably artificial but that sense of unreality just adds to the odd nature of the film. It's also very unforgiving in the second half, it just keeps chucking out big handfuls of bad news which is something I get heaps of pleasure from in horror films.

Also bonus props to the policeman called Craig who keeps getting name-dropped for no reason other than what I assume is ham-fisted character development. Craig.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Steven on December 05, 2017, 12:23:15 PM
Well, I wasn't sure if it could be categorised as "Horror" either as I was expecting it to go in a supernatural direction which it didn't, but there's a few murders involved and there's loads of supposed classic Horrors that are just about unhinged killers. I'll usually recommend anything I can actually sit through without turning off these days, so piss-poor is the genre I find. I think you're even more jaded than me. I've tried to sit through various other "Horrors" like Baskin several times without fruition.

And I didn't say Duke recommended The Corpse Of Anna Fritz or if he's seen it yet, only he suggested it as a movie with a similar premise from discussing The Autopsy Of Jane Doe which I also thought was worth a watch and after viewing he described as "pedestrian", "horrible dialogue", "awful, unconvincing performances", "ineffective scares," and "absolutely piss." So there you go.

I wasn't having a go.

I kind of liked Autopsy Of Jane Doe, with all its flaws.

Steven

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 05, 2017, 09:40:03 PM
I wasn't having a go.

I think you were, not at me, just the Horror genre in general, you're very jaded about it as am I. At this point I give a thumbs up to anything I can sit through, almost anything 'found footage' I can't bare to watch most of the time. Though I think a couple of your criticisms are a bit trite, the good one, the pathetic frightened one and the enthusiastically ruthless one, for example. What else could there be, that's basically the mob-minded mentality that lets that kind of behaviour occur, the strong-willed more psycho one dictating events and the lesser-willed ones following along despite their reservations. That happens all the time in much lesser true-life events, even to the point I imagine most people might have experienced the dynamic themselves.

QuoteI kind of liked Autopsy Of Jane Doe, with all its flaws.

I liked some elements, speficially the engine behind all the mayhem is a completely vulnerable and fragile naked lady on a slab, though others I didn't. The girlfriend's death and various other elements were such obvious tropes they were signposted from the womb.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 05, 2017, 09:40:03 PM
I kind of liked Autopsy Of Jane Doe, with all its flaws.

Quote from: Steven on December 06, 2017, 01:00:53 AM
I liked some elements, speficially the engine behind all the mayhem is a completely vulnerable and fragile naked lady on a slab, though others I didn't. The girlfriend's death and various other elements were such obvious tropes they were signposted from the womb.

It had the only teal and orange mortuary in the world. Nine ghosts out of ten from me.   👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻

Gregory Torso

The Day Of The Beast. Mad and great Spanish film from 1995 about a death metaller, a cheesy occult TV show presenter and a priest trying to stop the Antichrist being born. Great goat scene, for fans of evil goats. Some nice ambiguity about whether any of it was happening or not (they take lots of drugs prior to "summoning" the devil). Crazy world building, death metal gigs with podium dancers, fat naked old guys, satanists singing "jesus christ superstar". Everything you could wish for. Cheered me right up in its own weird way.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Gregory Torso on December 06, 2017, 05:42:20 AM
The Day Of The Beast. Mad and great Spanish film from 1995 about a death metaller, a cheesy occult TV show presenter and a priest trying to stop the Antichrist being born. Great goat scene, for fans of evil goats. Some nice ambiguity about whether any of it was happening or not (they take lots of drugs prior to "summoning" the devil). Crazy world building, death metal gigs with podium dancers, fat naked old guys, satanists singing "jesus christ superstar". Everything you could wish for. Cheered me right up in its own weird way.

Yeah this was great fun.  Also a Duke recommendation for me.  It has one of the funniest death scenes I've ever seen (and I'm pretty sure it was intentional).

zomgmouse

Calvaire was really brutal, good stuff. I liked how low-key chilling it was before launching full pelt into insanity. Added the director's other films to my list.

Junglist

Quote from: zomgmouse on December 25, 2017, 04:40:30 AM
Calvaire was really brutal, good stuff. I liked how low-key chilling it was before launching full pelt into insanity. Added the director's other films to my list.

Alléluia is a belter

zomgmouse

Been watching even more Christmas horror.

Dead End with Ray Wise. Quite dross, felt like wannabe Lynch lite. A family gets stuck on a mysterious endless road and are killed one by one. Cringey dialogue and the ending was pretty dumb.

Inside. Brilliant. Perhaps the most blood I've seen in a while. A strange woman invades a pregnant woman's house to try to steal her soon-to-be born baby. Heaps of great suspense and creepiness and also gore.

Mercy Christmas. A new one that came out about a month ago. Has a few saggy moments but mainly very fun and some laugh-out-loud moments. Cannibal family Christmas with the "dinner" (captives) trying to escape.

Night of the Comet. Probably the loosest link to Christmas (it's set 11 days before Christmas) and a horror by the faintest of threads, but still truly wonderful. Upbeat and downbeat at the same time, a real anti-authority vibe. Good action, good visuals, good desolate landscapes. Enjoyed it a lot.

I also watched Red Christmas a while ago and though there were some deliciously odd moments and a couple of good deaths, and I appreciated it was going for a pulpy 70s vibe, it was overall incredibly tedious and muddled and stupid. Do not recommend.

Quote from: Junglist on December 26, 2017, 06:14:30 PM
Alléluia is a belter

I have added it to my list - is it true that it's a retelling of The Honeymoon Killers people?

Junglist

Quote from: zomgmouse on December 27, 2017, 12:38:02 AM
I have added it to my list - is it true that it's a retelling of The Honeymoon Killers people?

Its definitely based on it and follows very similar themes.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Junglist on December 27, 2017, 12:51:03 AM
Its definitely based on it and follows very similar themes.
Excellent. Look forward to it.

Gregory Torso

Have you seen Black Christmas with Margot Kidder? Thought it would be cheesy slasher shit but there's some really nasty stuff in it.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Gregory Torso on December 27, 2017, 04:28:15 AM
Have you seen Black Christmas with Margot Kidder? Thought it would be cheesy slasher shit but there's some really nasty stuff in it.

Yeah, saw that the last time I marathoned Christmas horrors, two years ago. That was a good one.

SteveDave

Quote from: zomgmouse on December 27, 2017, 12:38:02 AM
Been watching even more Christmas horror.

Inside. Brilliant. Perhaps the most blood I've seen in a while. A strange woman invades a pregnant woman's house to try to steal her soon-to-be born baby. Heaps of great suspense and creepiness and also gore.

I don't think I've shouted "FUCKINELL!" at a film as much as I did that one. Every time you think it can't get worse it does. One of the best gunshots to the head bits in it too. Great ending too.

zomgmouse

Couple more:

The Gingerdead Man. Not really sure why this was on a Christmas horror list. I don't know that there was even a Christmastime setting. It was also terrible. Gary Busey voicing a deranged biscuit should have been better than it was but honestly I guess it's exactly what it was.

Secret Santa (2015). Canadian throwback to sleazy exploitation slashers. Bunch of college kids get picked off one by one at a Christmas party. Very goofy in a knowing way and some funny moments.

Quote from: SteveDave on December 27, 2017, 09:14:59 AM
I don't think I've shouted "FUCKINELL!" at a film as much as I did that one. Every time you think it can't get worse it does. One of the best gunshots to the head bits in it too. Great ending too.

I was "JESUS FUCK"ing my way through that right till and including that final "birth". Dear lord.

zomgmouse

Microwave Massacre. Perhaps the most unashamedly, unabashedly stupid mess I've seen in a while. The violence in this isn't even that full on, it's cartoonish really, which is the point given it's primarily a comedy. Full of crass misogyny to an utterly laughable extent. The protagonist is essentially a borscht belt comedian complaining about his nagging wife and her cooking, and then he kills her and eats her and develops a taste for human (specifically female) flesh. And yet despite all this I enjoyed it a lot. It's just so ridiculous and kitsch, combining 80s excesses with 50s status quo, with the two blending in an intentionally and unintentionally funny way.