Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:13:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeDeMondo

The Lure (2015)

This isn't really a horror picture, but it's got horror in its bones, and there are plenty horrific things in it. All I knew about it going in was that it was a Polish picture about two mermaids who maybe join a metal band or want to join one. Something like that. That turned out to be halfways true - it is about two mermaids, and one of them does join a metal band at one point - but it barely scratches the surface.

I dunno what I was expecting, but whatever my expectations were, this defied them at every turn. I didn't expect it to be a musical, for one thing, and it is certainly that, and I didn't expect it to be anywhere near as rude as it is, and it is proper fucking rude alright, don't be thinking any different. Barely five minutes have passed before it's revealed that the mermaids have fannies on their tails, and barely six before someone is poking their fingers into one of them.

I would have liked it to have been more gruesome than it was, although it was plenty gruesome, and I would have liked it to have been funnier than it was, although it was plenty funny. I'd also have liked better, more memorable songs, although the ones we get are tuneful enough in their way, and do at least contain a handful of striking lyrics: "I need my glucose!," for example.

At times it reminded me of some of Sion Sono's stuff, albeit in a fairly superficial way. Other times it brought to mind the likes of Ginger Snaps, or Bound, or even Baise-moi for a minute here or there.

It's not perfect by any stretch, and it overstays its welcome just a bit, but it is worth seeing. Certainly something that SMBH should be sitting down with for a time if he hasn't already.

zomgmouse

I saw this at the film festival last year and was kind of disappointed. It just felt like a scrambled overlong music video. So many disconnected moments, like the police subplot that went nowhere. And I agree that it could have been gorier. I did like it but I also felt quite let down.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: zomgmouse on December 30, 2017, 02:12:27 AM
It just felt like a scrambled overlong music video.

I get that, it certainly did feel like an extended music video at times. I don't think that would have been so much of an issue had the songs been especially good, but there you go, by and large they weren't.

TrenterPercenter

A good lesser known one here (not sure if it has been mentioned).

February: Blackcoat's Daughter

Really sinister, low key, slow burning dreadfest that never overplays it's hand and is genuinely very creepy.  Similar feel in someways to The House of the Devil.  Story of 3 girls (who are all excellent, as is the supporting cast) and a boarding school.    Gets 68% on RT but ignore that as it deserves much more, it just doesn't overkill it's premises which in my view makes it all the more horrible.

It's currently on The Netflixs too. 

4/5

zomgmouse

Two Front Teeth. Shitty waste of a good name. Clearly a bunch of people trying to have some fun who have no idea how to make a film. Half the time you can't tell if this is in earnest or just joking around or doing both at the same time. It did have the excellent gag of "Clausferatu" but otherwise this was really a gaggle of dick.

The Canal. Terrific. Irish-UK horror about a film archivist who finds some archive footage of a horrible crime that happened in his house in 1902 where a man murdered his wife, and since that point things go psychologically ballistic. I loved the way it maintained a fine line between the legitimately chilling supernatural ghost stuff and the "he's mental" stuff. Nice editing of the horror sequences and visual elements, and that ending was perfect. Highly recommended.

Moribunderast

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 01, 2018, 05:00:56 AM
The Canal. Terrific. Irish-UK horror about a film archivist who finds some archive footage of a horrible crime that happened in his house in 1902 where a man murdered his wife, and since that point things go psychologically ballistic. I loved the way it maintained a fine line between the legitimately chilling supernatural ghost stuff and the "he's mental" stuff. Nice editing of the horror sequences and visual elements, and that ending was perfect. Highly recommended.

I really dug The Canal. Director Ivan Kavanagh also made one of my favourite horror films, Tin Can Man, which for a long time was a bastard to find anywhere. In fact, Tin Can Man and The Canal are the only films of his I HAVE been able to find. The rest are lost to the void, seemingly, which is a shame as I think he's got a lot of talent - certainly at creating tension. Trailer and purchase details for TCM can be found here if you're interested.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Moribunderast on January 01, 2018, 06:30:24 AM
I really dug The Canal. Director Ivan Kavanagh also made one of my favourite horror films, Tin Can Man, which for a long time was a bastard to find anywhere. In fact, Tin Can Man and The Canal are the only films of his I HAVE been able to find. The rest are lost to the void, seemingly, which is a shame as I think he's got a lot of talent - certainly at creating tension. Trailer and purchase details for TCM can be found here if you're interested.

Ooh, thanks. I tried looking up some of his other filmography but evidently didn't do a proper job of it. This looks great!

His IMDb lists three films as either announced or in production so that will be nice to look forward to - the one that's being filmed at the moment is a Western with John Cusack, Emile Hirsch and Antoni Campbell-Hughes (who was in The Canal, though I mostly recognise her from Lead Balloon).

TrenterPercenter

I would seriously reccomend blackcoats daughter again to any horror aficionados.  Especially if you like things like the canal and house of the devil.

Dark room. Alone and quiet.  Check all the doors are locked first though.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 04, 2018, 10:55:45 PM
I would seriously reccomend blackcoats daughter again to any horror aficionados.  Especially if you like things like the canal and house of the devil.

Dark room. Alone and quiet.  Check all the doors are locked first though.

It was brought up in this thread a year ago. https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=37685.1320

I thought it was great, and was surprised at how good Emma Roberts was in it. I thought she was just famous for getting violent with her boyfriend, running errands and grabbing coffees. Must stop reading OK! Magazine.

phantom_power

Emma Roberts is really good in It's Kind of a Funny Story as well, though that isn't a horror film.

Really liked Train to Busan and excited to hear he has a new film out this year

Gregory Torso

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on December 30, 2017, 01:48:23 AM
The Lure (2015)

I just watched this last night and I'd heard good things about it, but thought it wasn't that great. Some of the songs were quite neat, in a TATU kind of way, and it was interesting enough, but a lot of it was very jumbled and undeveloped. I would have liked to have seen more about the mermaids themselves (they seemed to be quite readily accepted in this world), presumably there were budget restraints. Lots of unexplored avenues, actually (guy with snapped-off horns in a metal band?).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on December 30, 2017, 01:48:23 AM
The Lure (2015)

This isn't really a horror picture, but it's got horror in its bones, and there are plenty horrific things in it. All I knew about it going in was that it was a Polish picture about two mermaids who maybe join a metal band or want to join one. Something like that. That turned out to be halfways true - it is about two mermaids, and one of them does join a metal band at one point - but it barely scratches the surface.

I dunno what I was expecting, but whatever my expectations were, this defied them at every turn. I didn't expect it to be a musical, for one thing, and it is certainly that, and I didn't expect it to be anywhere near as rude as it is, and it is proper fucking rude alright, don't be thinking any different. Barely five minutes have passed before it's revealed that the mermaids have fannies on their tails, and barely six before someone is poking their fingers into one of them.

I would have liked it to have been more gruesome than it was, although it was plenty gruesome, and I would have liked it to have been funnier than it was, although it was plenty funny. I'd also have liked better, more memorable songs, although the ones we get are tuneful enough in their way, and do at least contain a handful of striking lyrics: "I need my glucose!," for example.

At times it reminded me of some of Sion Sono's stuff, albeit in a fairly superficial way. Other times it brought to mind the likes of Ginger Snaps, or Bound, or even Baise-moi for a minute here or there.

It's not perfect by any stretch, and it overstays its welcome just a bit, but it is worth seeing. Certainly something that SMBH should be sitting down with for a time if he hasn't already.

Only just seen this but yeah, I saw it a few months prior to you and really really enjoyed it, though comparing it to Baise-Moi is a bit harsh I reckon!

Gregory Torso

Just watched the 2015 Polish film Demon. I dunno, lads, not knowing much about dybbuks or Polish folklore I felt I was missing a bit here. It was a very rainy, colourless film but good enough, atmospheric, and the relationships between the main guy and his brother in law and wife were very well acted . Funny, too (the reaction of the brides father to his son in law getting possessed was to get everyone at the wedding piss drunk on vodka so no one would notice). Odd one.

Mini

Thought I'd mention the tragic passing of American horror writer Jack Ketchum (the same day as Mark E. Smith godammit) because I think it was you people who recommended The Woman which I think is one of the best horror films (and therefore) films of the decade, and feels more horribly vital than ever.

Moribunderast

Jesus, Mini, I'd not heard of either death until reading your post - what a double gut-punch. I'm familiar with only a little of Ketchum's work but I similarly adored The Woman so that's very sad to hear.

I just watched Tragedy Girls after seeing some decent reviews. Watchable fluff but not very good. I just don't really get on with horror-comedies as the comedy aspects negate the scares and are rarely funny. Aside from League Of Gentlemen I struggle to think of any horror-comedies I could say have succeeded in making me alternate between genuine fear and out-loud laughter. There's probably a handful I'm missing but it's very rare. Tragedy Girls, like most horror-comedies, leans into the "Hey, we've seen horror movies, let's mock the tropes" thing which has been done a million times and Scream pretty much nailed it in the 90s so can we do something new?

Since early last year with Get Out and Raw and Hounds Of Love I feel like there's been a good spell with no decent new horror films. I don't even know of anything coming up that sounds particularly promising - maybe The Cursed?

surreal

Quote from: Moribunderast on January 26, 2018, 12:01:14 PM
Since early last year with Get Out and Raw and Hounds Of Love I feel like there's been a good spell with no decent new horror films. I don't even know of anything coming up that sounds particularly promising - maybe The Cursed?

The one at Sundance getting the rave reviews at the moment is "Hereditary" with Toni Collette:  http://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/hereditary-review-toni-colette-1202674999/.  The advice I've seen seems to be to go in as cold as possible without spoilers.

Moribunderast

Quote from: surreal on January 26, 2018, 12:14:35 PM
The one at Sundance getting the rave reviews at the moment is "Hereditary" with Toni Collette:  http://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/hereditary-review-toni-colette-1202674999/The advice I've seen seems to be to go in as cold as possible without spoilers.

That won't be a problem for me as I refuse to watch trailers, including putting headphones on and closing my eyes during the ones at the cinema, because I am crazy.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Moribunderast on January 26, 2018, 12:01:14 PM
I don't even know of anything coming up that sounds particularly promising - maybe The Cursed?

Haven't heard anyone really talking about it but the Spierig brothers have a film out soon called Winchester where Helen Mirren plays the widow of the man who made the Winchester rifle and is haunted by the victims of that very gun. It might be a tonne of guff but I am going to watch this.

Also lots of people have praised The Blackcoat's Daughter which I'm quite looking forward to seeing at some point.

Gregory Torso

The Blackcoat's Daughter is fantastic. Utterly gripping and creepy, although I admit I had to watch it a second time spoiler to understand who Joan was. Highly recommend it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Moribunderast on January 26, 2018, 12:19:46 PM
That won't be a problem for me as I refuse to watch trailers, including putting headphones on and closing my eyes during the ones at the cinema, because I am crazy.

I'm the same except I don't have headphones on me and so end up sticking my fingers in my ears and going "lalalalalalala" until they're over with. Bar films I don't give a fuck about, but it's enough to make those around me psychologically disturbed.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Moribunderast on January 26, 2018, 12:01:14 PMI just watched Tragedy Girls after seeing some decent reviews. Watchable fluff but not very good. I just don't really get on with horror-comedies as the comedy aspects negate the scares and are rarely funny. Aside from League Of Gentlemen I struggle to think of any horror-comedies I could say have succeeded in making me alternate between genuine fear and out-loud laughter. There's probably a handful I'm missing but it's very rare. Tragedy Girls, like most horror-comedies, leans into the "Hey, we've seen horror movies, let's mock the tropes" thing which has been done a million times and Scream pretty much nailed it in the 90s so can we do something new?

I've a huge soft spot for horror comedies but I had mixed feelings about Tragedy Girls. There were some cute moments and the odd funny idea, and the gore side of things is passable enough, but the satire on social media is incredibly heavy handed and it seemed a bit too pleased with itself, and is only a slightly above average slasher. Though to give it some credit at least it had a happy ending, I presumed they'd kill off at least one of the two leads so was pleased that both survived to murder another day.

Sebastian Cobb

wooly

Don't post much, but have watched both Creep and Triangle off the back of this thread. Thoroughly enjoyed both of them very much, so cheers for that.

i'll put a mention in for Bone Tomahawk, which is on Netflix. A beautifully made western with some gut wrenching moments....well worth a view.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: wooly on January 29, 2018, 11:29:16 PM
Don't post much, but have watched both Creep and Triangle off the back of this thread. Thoroughly enjoyed both of them very much, so cheers for that.

i'll put a mention in for Bone Tomahawk, which is on Netflix. A beautifully made western with some gut wrenching moments....well worth a view.

Possible that was an old review of mine, as I love them both, and wish director Christopher Smith had gone one to a much bigger career than the one he had (although I'll give that "Detour" he made last year a bash). He did a family Santa movie, for chuff's sake.

PS. Don't sleep on "Severance", which is surprisingly good.

madhair60

what was the one around christmas where the blokes were in the woods or camping or something?

St_Eddie

The Company of Wolves is a fantastic and criminally under-appreciated horror film.  That is all.

zomgmouse

Quote from: madhair60 on January 31, 2018, 10:52:55 AM
what was the one around christmas where the blokes were in the woods or camping or something?

Was this It Comes at Night? Also was this any good?

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 31, 2018, 11:45:19 AM
The Company of Wolves is a fantastic and criminally under-appreciated horror film.  That is all.
makes a nice triple with penda's fen and dreamchild

St_Eddie

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on January 31, 2018, 12:51:00 PM
makes a nice triple with penda's fen and dreamchild

I couldn't find a decent quality copy of Dreamchild online (though there were plenty of links for A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child) but I did manage to locate a high quality rip of Penda's Fen.  Downloaded and added to the 'to watch' list.  Cheers.

madhair60

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 31, 2018, 12:29:38 PM
Was this It Comes at Night? Also was this any good?

Nah I think it was British and they were in a cabin or something? Maybe?