Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:15:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Venture

Event Horizon vs Hellraiser

Which one see first thank you please

Event Horizon first, because you always save the best for last.

Obel

Watch Hellraiser 1, then 2, then Event Horizon. Because it's basically Hellraiser in space anyway and preferable to Hellraiser 4 (which is in space).

Then the only other Hellraiser worth seeing is Inferno. Which I think is brill and basically should have been a Silent Hill film.

Famous Mortimer

I have a sneaky love for Hellraiser 3, because it's ludicrous and knows it, and also has a very hot Paula Marshall in an early role.

DukeDeMondo

I'll go ahead and fling Demons of the Mind out there, for I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Probably my favourite Hammer film. A mad and beautiful thing that feels like some boob-bedizened cousin of Herz aus Glas half the time.

For a more recent number, I say Livid. Or Lake Mungo, if you'd rather have the shit scared out your arse than the whites blown out your eyes. 

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 23, 2013, 01:10:09 AM
Ti West's The House Of The Devil, and The Innkeepers I really enjoyed.

Watched this last night having heard lots of good things about it. The VHS era, video nasty vibe was very much appreciated and perfectly well done (ie: Not done in a "Hey, It's The 80s" kind of way) and the casting of Tom Noonan, Dee Wallace and Mary Woronov was spot on. Good horror film that does take it's time to get going but worth the wait when the blood hits the fan in the third act.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 24, 2013, 03:39:37 PM
I have a sneaky love for Hellraiser 3, because it's ludicrous and knows it, and also has a very hot Paula Marshall in an early role.

I revisited the first three Hellraiser films for the first time since the 90s recently and was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining all three of them were. The third probably is the weakest of the three but there's fun to be had. The ridiculousness of the CD and Camera Cenobites were most amusing. Plus, I'd never spotted a blink and you'll miss it appearence by Zach "Billy from Gremlins" Galligan. I can only presume because I'd blinked on previous viewings.

DukeDeMondo

The best thing about Hellraiser 3 is Johnny GoFuckYourself or whatever he's called, banging away at your woman there with his cowboy boots on and a big dirty fag hung out the mouth like he hasn't a care in the world.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: billtheburger on September 03, 2013, 10:34:45 AM
I watched American Mary last night. I feel dirty today, but it's a good horror film.

I watched it last night and feel a bit dirty too. It's quite an original
Spoiler alert
woman wanting revenge
[close]
movie I have to say and doesn't go quite where you think it's going to go. It has a strange amorality.

Thomas

I've just watched The Cabin in the Woods. I'd read a few disappointed posts on here, and yesterday this -

Quote from: Mister Six on October 28, 2013, 02:59:58 AM
Yeah, The Cabin in the Woods is a genuinely brilliant film. Fuck the haters.

and I have to say I agree with Mister Six. I had a great ninety or so minutes.

Famous Mortimer

Someone's Knocking At The Door
It claims to be a throwback to the grindhouse era, but I don't really see it. Five medical students find some old notes about a psychologist trying to understand a serial killer who rapes people to death, and they find some experimental drug they were using...and then it goes a bit odd. There's some excellent editing in it, and for an obviously low budget film none of the acting is terrible, but...

It seems to fall halfway between a seriously deranged slasher film and a "Scanner Darkly" style look at drug addiction. It needed to be a bit more of one or the other, I think. The scenes where the students are taking drugs together is like every tedious weed session I was ever part of as a younger man, so they nailed that bit exactly. I just don't know about this film, but I think it's got something going for it.

Jawaka

Quote from: Thomas on October 29, 2013, 10:59:34 PM
I've just watched The Cabin in the Woods. I'd read a few disappointed posts on here, and yesterday this -

and I have to say I agree with Mister Six. I had a great ninety or so minutes.

I need to re watch that, wasn't paying attention. Speaking of Cabins, seems like Cabin Fever is on at least once a week at the moment. It's quite enjoyable.

Shade

Cabin Fever is good purely because it has the pancakes kid scene. I just have no idea what the hell that was all about.

Recently saw Cabin in the Woods as well, it was not what I was expecting at all, fortunately I'd managed to avoid all the hype/reviews which helped. I thought it was a really enjoyable film, had some good laughs as well (specifically, the Japanese school kids and the guy on speaker phone) and I liked trying to spot all the references to other horror films.

Event Horizon could have been a great film but was let down by a crappy ending, but otherwise it had some interesting ideas. That tape was pretty unsettling the first time I saw it.

I think someone mentioned The Innkeepers, maybe it's one of those films I need to go back and watch it and pay closer attention, but I just couldn't get in to it at all. I kept waiting and waiting for something to materialize and it never happened. Anyone else have this problem?

Mini

The Cabin in the Woods is great.

Speaking of great, I watched The Woman the other day which I've seen mentioned on this forum once or twice. One of the best horror films and films in general I've seen in a very long time. It's such a surprising, political and disturbing movie - already a new favourite of mine.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Mini on November 02, 2013, 02:31:57 AM

Speaking of great, I watched The Woman the other day which I've seen mentioned on this forum once or twice. One of the best horror films and films in general I've seen in a very long time. It's such a surprising, political and disturbing movie - already a new favourite of mine.

You might like Dead Girl then, mini. Always going for very cheap in CEX and sometimes Poundland.

Jawaka

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 02, 2013, 03:34:00 PM
You might like Dead Girl then, mini. Always going for very cheap in CEX and sometimes Poundland.

It's also on Lovefilm too (Although might be Netflix, I can't remember)

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Mini on November 02, 2013, 02:31:57 AM

Yes, I watched it on Halloween after avoiding it for a while due to some negative reactions from a few friends. I loved every minute, don't know what the problems were. I was thinking after watching it that 'self-referential meta-horror' should be considered a sub-genre in it's own right. Reminded me of the 1990's Bruce Campbell led B-Movie Waxworks II: Lost In Time.

A friend recommended this today:

http://youtu.be/my9Pr-W92SM

Looks pretty good, anyone else seen it?

Noodle Lizard

I hated it ('John Dies At The End') personally, found it unwatchable.  Imagine 'Naked Lunch' being re-imagined by someone who writes for Cracked.com, because that's what it is[nb]admittedly via the guy who made 'Bubba Ho-Tep', which I do quite like[/nb].  Not really a horror movie either.

Viero_Berlotti

Ah, I was a bit underwhelmed by 'Bubba Ho-Tep', I felt it didn't really live up to the promise of the initial concept. Will still give 'John Dies At The End' a go if it ever winds up on Netflix.

Paaaaul

John Dies At The End is in US Netflix right now.  I really enjoyed it, possibly more than Phantasm. It's just a daft, playful film.

Brundle-Fly

I've recently watched  Some Guy Who Kills People that was not in the least bit scary, but quite diverting.

Has anyone yet mentioned Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006) ? Those who enjoy Cabin In The Woods post meta-slasher horror (with a great turn from Scott Wilson (Hershall) from AMC's The Walking Dead) should seek it out.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shade on November 02, 2013, 01:43:06 AM
I think someone mentioned The Innkeepers, maybe it's one of those films I need to go back and watch it and pay closer attention, but I just couldn't get in to it at all. I kept waiting and waiting for something to materialize and it never happened. Anyone else have this problem?

Yeah, I didn't really enjoy it that much, I stuck with it but found it pretty frustrating and annoying at times. I think Ti West is a bit overrated to be honest, Cabin Fever 2 was a decent enough gore fest but nothing that special, whilst his short film in The ABC's of Death is fucking terrible, it looks like something a bunch of pissed students would knock up in five minutes.

Hank Venture

The ABCs of Death is shit. There are some good segments, but 80% of them are terrible.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Hank Venture on November 03, 2013, 12:24:36 AM
The ABCs of Death is shit. There are some good segments, but 80% of them are terrible.

I'd be a bit kinder and say that only 65% of them are terrible, but then I was very forgiving of some of the dodgier ones. I wouldn't normally recommend it to people, but I'm quite fascinated by the final film, Z is for Zetsumetsu - http://vk.com/video1141419_165302530

James Christopher

I strongly disliked Cabin In The Woods. It's not nearly as clever as the films it condescends to.

But I'll add my support to The Woman, and to Lucky McKee in general. Red is also really good (the Brian Cox movie, not the Bruce Willis one). It's an interesting premise that slowly builds to a dark, frenetic conclusion. But his best, for me, is May. Terrific moody coming-of-age type film, that's also a very visual portrait of the mind of a psychopath, but in a very relatable and human way. You'll like it if you liked Heavenly Creatures.

Moribunderast

I was a huge fan of The Woman with it being probably my favourite film of whatever year it came out (2011?). I really enjoyed May but haven't seen Red as I'd heard bad things. Will look into it, though, as I do really like Lucky Mckee. I even read the novel version of The Woman, co-written by Mckee and Jack Ketchum. It's nowhere near as good as the film but the novella at the end, The Cow, which picks up a year after the conclusion of the film is quite cool. For those who enjoyed The Woman, I'd reiterate my earlier recommendation of new film, Jug Face. It's not up to the same standard and does have flaws but it had a similar tone, as well as sharing cast members and having the same guy (Sean Spillane) doing the soundtrack.

I just watched Lake Mungo. Whilst I didn't find it particularly scary I did like the story and the way it was laid out. There were definitely some moments that gave me goosebumps. Quite a nice little film given it was clearly made on a shoe-string budget. Next horror type things on my list are Dellamorte Dellamore and John Dies At The End. I know nothing about the storylines of either but I keep having them recommended to me.

Quote from: Moribunderast on November 03, 2013, 03:06:04 AM
I just watched Lake Mungo. Whilst I didn't find it particularly scary I did like the story and the way it was laid out. There were definitely some moments that gave me goosebumps. Quite a nice little film given it was clearly made on a shoe-string budget. Next horror type things on my list are Dellamorte Dellamore and John Dies At The End. I know nothing about the storylines of either but I keep having them recommended to me.

I've been meaning to watch Lake Mungo. Friends have recommended it, and I walk by a poster of it at Uni a lot so someone from there must have had something to do with it.
It was filmed in Ararat, right? Reason enough to give it a shot.

Also been wanting to see John Dies at the End. I was hoping for a cinema release but it just never came. I read the book a while back, and it was really good fun, albeit not particuarly well-written or put together, though that's more a problem with how it was written, in that it wasn't really planned out and was just a monthly blog on the internet that eventually was put together as a book, so it's fairly bloated and the tone shifts drastically from chapter to chapter and feels like something written in segmented chunks, so I think a film adaptation could really trim the bloat and turn it into something truly special. Couldn't think of a better film for Don Coscarelli.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Bored of Canada on November 03, 2013, 03:19:18 AM
I've been meaning to watch Lake Mungo. Friends have recommended it, and I walk by a poster of it at Uni a lot so someone from there must have had something to do with it.
It was filmed in Ararat, right? Reason enough to give it a shot.

Yeah, mostly takes place in Ararat. It's just talking heads for the most part but, as I say, I did enjoy the story and I think it's spread out in an interesting way. I really liked the ending.

Famous Mortimer

They're relaunching "Sleepaway Camp":

http://www.avclub.com/articles/and-now-sleepaway-camp-will-also-get-a-reboot,105018/

I haven't read the comments yet, so I can't tell if anyone points out to the author of the piece that they already relaunched it once in 2010 ("Return to Sleepaway Camp").

Mini

Quote from: Moribunderast on November 03, 2013, 03:06:04 AM
For those who enjoyed The Woman, I'd reiterate my earlier recommendation of new film, Jug Face. It's not up to the same standard and does have flaws but it had a similar tone, as well as sharing cast members and having the same guy (Sean Spillane) doing the soundtrack.

I loved Jug Face too, Lauren Ashley Carter is superb.