Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:02:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

madhair60

Mini

I thought The Ritual started quite well then all got a bit generic. 3 stars some funny bits.

zomgmouse

The Stuff. I loved this. I'll watch almost any satire on consumerism and mass culture. The white ooze was almost so ridiculous as to be actually terrifying. Classic escalating plot with a bit of shakiness but very entertaining.

SteveDave

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 01, 2018, 01:19:13 PM
The Stuff. I loved this. I'll watch almost any satire on consumerism and mass culture. The white ooze was almost so ridiculous as to be actually terrifying. Classic escalating plot with a bit of shakiness but very entertaining.

And a lead actor who is tall. From IMDB:

QuoteAs one of Hollywood's tallest actors standing at 6' 4", he will always be noticed.

Kane Jones

Wow, I'd totally forgotten about that film. I used to have it on ex-rental VHS many moons ago. Great fun as I recall.

St_Eddie

The white ooze was almost so ridiculous as to be actually terrifying.

zomgmouse

There's a scene in it where a factory of The Stuff is exploded and it's right in between a McDonald's and a KFC, and I just... kissyfingerschef.jpg

zomgmouse

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 01, 2018, 03:28:03 PM

Just wait till I tell you that it also moves and goes inside people.

Gregory Torso

Just watched Creep 2 and thought it was great. Better than the first, which was surprisingly good anyway. Mark Duplass does an excellent job of being frogshit insane as well as pathetic, dangerous and funny. It's found footage so you just have to ignore all the usual "who is filming and editing this? And why?" Questions that usually crop up and also spoilers like the first film the protagonist makes a stupid idiot decision at the end although it's not quite as thick as waiting patiently on a bench by a lake with your back to everything else. Anyway, me liked it.

Brundle-Fly

I've just watched Creep 2 too and I think it was more original than the first film (which is also very good).  Wasn't so keen on the coda tacked on at the end, didn't really feel necessary. Strong performances and quite funny in a dark way, "November 1978. It was the last days of disco" scene in the river had me in stitches. Aaron's attempt to copy his favourite director's look was a nice touch and I really like the Sara Likes Her Juicy fruit track on the end titles.

Bhazor

The Stuff is why you should never use digital effects for gore in a horror film.

Brundle-Fly

Looking at The Stuff's  creator, Larry Cohen IMDB page. What a career this man has had!

Q (1982) is definitely worth checking out.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0169540/

Dr Syntax Head

A film I remember seeing around the same time I saw The Stuff was Halloween 3 which also had that consumerism satire going on. It's one bloody dark film even for these times. Creeped me right out as a kid those films. Slasher films never did mind, I always found them (and still find them) very boring.

Bhazor

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 03, 2018, 11:50:06 AM
Looking at The Stuff's  creator, Larry Cohen IMDB page. What a career this man has had!

Yeah Larry Cohen is great. Definitely recommend a dip in his filmography.

magval

Is Creep 2 a sequel to the Franka Potente in the Underground film?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Bhazor on February 03, 2018, 07:17:14 PM
Yeah Larry Cohen is great. Definitely recommend a dip in his filmography.

I watched God Told Me To recently, that was fab.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: magval on February 03, 2018, 10:25:48 PM
Is Creep 2 a sequel to the Franka Potente in the Underground film?

No it's another Creep about a (heh) creepy guy who has issues with getting close to people. Mark Duplass. Both films are really good if you don't mind found footage.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2428170/

St_Eddie

zomgmouse

Night of Fear, a 1972 Australian film that's really quite nasty, almost proto-Texas Chain Saw. There's no dialogue in this so the atmosphere and visuals and score do all the work. Some really terrifying and brutal and fucked sequences. Plus it's only 50 minutes long.

St_Eddie

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 04, 2018, 11:30:46 AM
Night of Fear, a 1972 Australian film that's really quite nasty, almost proto-Texas Chain Saw. There's no dialogue in this so the atmosphere and visuals and score do all the work. Some really terrifying and brutal and fucked sequences. Plus it's only 50 minutes long.

Sold.

SteveDave

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 04, 2018, 11:30:46 AM
Plus it's only 50 minutes long.

I'm pig sick of films that last 2 hours+.

zomgmouse

Quote from: SteveDave on February 05, 2018, 10:01:27 AM
I'm pig sick of films that last 2 hours+.

This was initially intended as the pilot of an anthology horror TV series but the ABC thought it was too horrific so they pulled out and now it's just a short feature. It was initially banned in Australia, too, before the censors relented.

Famous Mortimer

Although you can all do it yourself (type the title into Google and stroll down four links), here it is.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5glihw

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: wooly on January 29, 2018, 11:29:16 PM
i'll put a mention in for Bone Tomahawk, which is on Netflix. A beautifully made western with some gut wrenching moments....well worth a view.

Caught up with that recently and thought it was great, a well-directed slow-burner with realistic and laconic dialogue that didn't sound hokey like so many Westerns do. Good performances too.
I was caught off-guard by the ending, but on reflection I prefer that to a climax that goes way over the top and takes you out of the film altogether.

Just out of interest, how long does it take before the memory of the (no spoilers) splitting scene fades?

SteveDave

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on February 05, 2018, 08:20:07 PM
Caught up with that recently and thought it was great, a well-directed slow-burner with realistic and laconic dialogue that didn't sound hokey like so many Westerns do. Good performances too.
I was caught off-guard by the ending, but on reflection I prefer that to a climax that goes way over the top and takes you out of the film altogether.

Just out of interest, how long does it take before the memory of the (no spoilers) splitting scene fades?

So far it's been 4 months and I still can't look in a butcher shop.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: SteveDave on February 05, 2018, 09:42:47 PM
So far it's been 4 months and I still can't look in a butcher shop.

*faints*

Gregory Torso

That scene was horrific but I was more disturbed by the pregnant cannibal cave women with pegs in their eyes and their limbs amputated. Brrrrrr.

Brundle-Fly

I enjoyed Bone Tomahawk but the set design in the cannibal caves at the end was like something from a seventies Saturday afternoon cinema Doug McClure adventure movie or Carry On Up The Jungle (1970)

Custard

Love Bone Tomahawk. I'd recommend checking out director blokey's next film, Brawl In Cell Block 99, as 1. It's great, and 2. The violence is even rougher and more wince-inducing