Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:38:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

I really disliked Bone Tomahawk and thought it was rather average and uninteresting filmmaking, but I quite enjoyed Brawl in Cell Block 99. Both films are exactly the same length and that length is 132 minutes and that length is too long for the types of film that they are.

Gregory Torso

I enjoyed the dialogue in Bone Tomahawk and the rambling nature of it, I think it worked well with the sudden violence of the last part.

Famous Mortimer

I'm watching the Ghoulies series at the mo, and the first two are bollocks, but Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go To College is surprisingly good. Although it's really a comedy, there's pretty much no gore in it.

Gregory Torso

Just watched Hell House LLC, and it was surprisingly good. Plenty of bits that shit me up (I hate those haunted house places anyway). Although I did wonder how much creepy phantom shit was it going to take before people stopped saying "are you fucking with me? Stop fucking with me!" Also, a question: how come the guy that wanted to leave couldn't leave? I think I missed that.

Oops! Wrong Planet

I don't think '1922' has been mentioned here yet. Faithful adaptation of Stephen King's short story, a creeping morality tale of greed and desperation. Not pure horror, but there's a fair bit of unpleasant grisliness. Well-directed, and the actors are excellent. (Currently on Netflix.)

SteveDave

Quote from: Mini on February 01, 2018, 10:24:33 AM
I thought The Ritual started quite well then all got a bit generic. 3 stars some funny bits.

Saw this last night. I liked the design of the "God" and the creeping tension of the first 45 minutes.

I was confused by what the things in the room where Rafe Spall and Elton John were being held though. They were the same as the thing in the cabin they stayed on the first night but what were they?

Also for a film called The Ritual there was very little ritual in it.

Blinder Data

Custard

Dunno if it's a horror as such, but another recommendation for 1922 'ere.

Dark, murderous, bleak, beautifully shot. One of the best new films I've seen recently

4 tits

Mini

Quote from: SteveDave on February 16, 2018, 10:53:41 AM
Also for a film called The Ritual there was very little ritual in it.

I guess their going away as a kind of memorial trip and lighting candles or whatever it is they do is a ritual. Then obviously there's the stuff at the end... clever title now I think about it.

zomgmouse

Had a go at The Blackcoat's Daughter aka February which really went the way bad slow burns do in not giving us anything to connect with at the start to sustain the burn. Once the devily stuff comes in it starts picking up but even then it's just a flimsy puzzle-piecing exercise with a bit of atmospheric work. All quite mediocre.

Next I watched Women Who Kill which is more of a kind of black comedy than a horror but the premise is that two true crime podcasters start to suspect that the woman one of them starts dating is actually a serial killer. I thought it was pretty fun and though it did sag a little it was still engaging enough to like.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 16, 2018, 12:44:34 PM

Dark, murderous, bleak, beautifully shot. One of the best new films I've seen recently

4 tits

Watched this t'other night. Pretty good but rather slight. Another film where I can barely make out what the actor is saying half the time. I'm such a cliched old git.

billtheburger

Watched Daughters of Darkness last week and it is very special indeed.
It was one of those films where I watched all the DVD extras after watching it, because I wanted more.

Custard

Honeymoon (2014)

YouknownothingJonSnurrr from Game Of Thrones goes on her honeymoon with her wet dishrag husband. Things quickly go weird

This was ok. Nice premise, and Rose Leslie is very watchable and lovely, but it doesn't quite hit the heights I was hoping it would

3 chipolatas

billtheburger

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 20, 2018, 03:30:35 PM
Honeymoon (2014)

YouknownothingJonSnurrr from Game Of Thrones goes on her honeymoon with her wet dishrag husband. Things quickly go weird

This was ok. Nice premise, and Rose Leslie is very watchable and lovely, but it doesn't quite hit the heights I was hoping it would

3 chipolatas
It's on horror channel UK tonight, too.

spamwangler

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 16, 2018, 12:44:34 PM

4 tits

looks great! more films need weird screetchy sounds and things rolling around in buckets for a soundtrack also, love it

Sgt. Duckie

Quote from: billtheburger on February 20, 2018, 07:38:05 PM
It's on horror channel UK tonight, too.

Loved every second of it. Great performances. Went from believable Honeymoon cutesy to unrelenting discomfort for all concerned. 4 chipolatas.

Howj Begg

Cana anyone tell me: has Darren Aronofsky's mother! been discussed in this thread? Or is there a thread someone could point me to? I'd dearly love to read people's thoguhts on this.

Bazooka

Quote from: Howj Begg on February 22, 2018, 04:42:36 AM
Cana anyone tell me: has Darren Aronofsky's mother! been discussed in this thread? Or is there a thread someone could point me to? I'd dearly love to read people's thoguhts on this.
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,61787.0.html

Howj Begg

Dirty Boy

I'm way late with this, but just wanted to say that i loved Raw and thought it was the most effective horror i've seen since Inside. Felt uneasy throughout and was blown away by the lead actress.

Are there any other good queasy, slightly psychedelic and deranged horror flicks from the last few years?

Noodle Lizard

Everyone's going on about Hereditary at the moment.  "Most traumatic horror film in years", "THIS is what horror should be" etc.  It has a good cast and a promising enough (if laughably generic) premise.  But then I looked up the writer/director and all he's really done before is one of the worst short films I've seen.  "There's Something Strange About The Johnsons", it's called.  Some of the most edgelordy, try-hard shite imaginable, even if you believe it's intended to be funny (which I don't think it is, I think it's meant to be "challenging" and "taboo").  Like someone trying to do Todd Solondz without understanding what makes it work.  I am completely unconvinced this man could make an effective horror film, but that's what I'll be hearing no end of until I see it.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 24, 2018, 07:57:11 PM
I'm way late with this, but just wanted to say that i loved Raw and thought it was the most effective horror i've seen since Inside. Felt uneasy throughout and was blown away by the lead actress.

Are there any other good queasy, slightly psychedelic and deranged horror flicks from the last few years?

Under the Skin leaps to my mind though I've realised that's five years old now. Eyes of My Mother is a good fit as well. Not sure if you'd call Nasty Baby a horror but that comes close. The Devil's Candy was not bad. The Endless was amazing but probably not in that vein. Possibly The Untamed? Under the Shadow? Killing Ground?

Custard

Starry Eyes is worth a watch. And Spring

THOUGH DONT READ SPOILERZ BEFOREHAND

Gregory Torso

Mayhem was lots of fun. An office block is infected with a hate fuck virus and Glen from Walking Dead decides to use it to his advantage. First half good, second half balls. Virus apparently switch on and off. Did you watch the Belko Experiment?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Gregory Torso on February 26, 2018, 03:40:24 PM
Mayhem was lots of fun. An office block is infected with a hate fuck virus and Glen from Walking Dead decides to use it to his advantage. First half good, second half balls. Virus apparently switch on and off. Did you watch the Belko Experiment?

That sounds like a remake of Cronenberg's Shivers (1975) .

Has Darling been mentioned? It's probably the best horror film in about ten years and is all around a great and very underrated film.

zomgmouse

Quote from: canted_angle_again on February 26, 2018, 07:43:20 PM
Has Darling been mentioned? It's probably the best horror film in about ten years and is all around a great and very underrated film.

This looks interesting, though I was really not a fan of his Carnage Park.

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 27, 2018, 03:50:27 AM
This looks interesting, though I was really not a fan of his Carnage Park.
It's nothing like anything the Director has done before, or since for that matter.

zomgmouse

Quote from: canted_angle_again on February 27, 2018, 02:01:33 PM
It's nothing like anything the Director has done before, or since for that matter.

That's really good to know. Carnage Park truly was guff. But this is intriguing.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Gregory Torso on February 26, 2018, 03:40:24 PM

Yeah, I'd heard raves about this and was properly underwhelmed.  It really is like a slightly precocious thirteen year-old has written it.  Not even good action, that I can remember.  Rubbish violence, which is about all I could've hoped for once I realized how nothing the actual plot is.  Possibly the worst sex scene since Th Room, to boot.