Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:48:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Just saw Winchester, the new Spierig brothers film with Helen Mirren. Definitely worth a watch and does some decent ghost scares. A bit much on the emotional side but it looks good and has a tinge of a sense of humour.

Obel

Quote from: Gregory Torso on February 26, 2018, 03:40:24 PM
Mayhem was lots of fun. An office block is infected with a hate fuck virus and Glen from Walking Dead decides to use it to his advantage. First half good, second half balls. Virus apparently switch on and off. Did you watch the Belko Experiment?

I've seen Belko and not Mayhem.

Belko Experiment was alright, a tight 90 min film. Really quite horrible violence, very Battle Royale-esque. Worth watching but nothing special!

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 02, 2018, 11:42:13 AM
Just saw Winchester, the new Spierig brothers film with Helen Mirren. Definitely worth a watch and does some decent ghost scares. A bit much on the emotional side but it looks good and has a tinge of a sense of humour.

I enjoyed this a fair bit at the time, but I didn't think it was any good, and I didn't think very many of the several dozens of jump scares were anyway competently orchestrated. It was a bit crap, even, I'd go so far as to say. I thought "Gun Violence" as a Big Bad was novel enough - even if they lost their nerve in the end - and I liked all the laudanum abuse that was going on and the house itself is a fantastic thing to be creeping around for 90 minutes or whatever, and also my partner was jumping and yelping throughout which entertained me enormously, but I couldn't recommend it to anyone, I don't think. Fun enough if you're in the mood for it, but, well. Kind of useless, all the same.

I did like the look of the ghouls, though. Proper decaying twisted looking fuckers of things. None of these Conjuring / Insidious-style emo spooks moping about.

zomgmouse

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on March 02, 2018, 02:10:50 PM
I enjoyed this a fair bit at the time, but I didn't think it was any good, and I didn't think very many of the several dozens of jump scares were anyway competently orchestrated. It was a bit crap, even, I'd go so far as to say. I thought "Gun Violence" as a Big Bad was novel enough - even if they lost their nerve in the end - and I liked all the laudanum abuse that was going on and the house itself is a fantastic thing to be creeping around for 90 minutes or whatever, and also my partner was jumping and yelping throughout which entertained me enormously, but I couldn't recommend it to anyone, I don't think. Fun enough if you're in the mood for it, but, well. Kind of useless, all the same.

I did like the look of the ghouls, though. Proper decaying twisted looking fuckers of things. None of these Conjuring / Insidious-style emo spooks moping about.

Yeah the house was brilliant. It fell apart for me once it started bringing in emotion and redemption but it was still okay. I felt most of the jump scares were pretty well-done to be honest. I didn't see most of them coming.

DukeDeMondo

Veronica, the latest from Paco "[REC]" Plaza, crept onto Netflix a couple weeks ago or thereabouts and has been driving ones up the walls ever since, by the talk. Internet's coming down with folk banging on about how it's the scariest thing on two legs, about how you'll have to take the TV out into a field after watching it, you know, about how it shouldn't be looked at with the naked eye.

Basically, a young lass plays about with a ouija board and before long the whole place is stinking with demons over the head of it. "Based On A True Story," of course.

Anyway it's "freaking people out so much they can't finish it!," according to The Sun. "The scariest horror movie ever!," says The Mirror. Viewers are so petrified they're crying their eyes out, if the NME is to be believed.

Well I thought it was just alright. I enjoyed it well enough, I suppose, but it's fairly pffft, and I was no way disturbed or afeared or anyway freaked and that's the long and the short of it. Certainly there are a couple creepy shots in the thing, and it's well enough put together, but I was pretty disappointed in the end. Also, I think we've probably had enough "Puberty Spooks" films now, whether they're based on true stories or they're not. Hormonal Horrors. That's enough of them, maybe, I think.

bgmnts

Agreed, I didn't get the 'scariest thing ever' reviews.

JoeyBananaduck

^ ditto, but it was nevertheless the first 'hyped' horror film I've seen in a good few years that I thought was genuinely good. I'm so used to being disappointed by say, The Conjuring movies and the years of found footage shite tht we had to endure before that that this was a bit of a breath of fresh air.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 24, 2018, 11:32:38 PM
Under the Skin leaps to my mind though I've realised that's five years old now. Eyes of My Mother is a good fit as well. Not sure if you'd call Nasty Baby a horror but that comes close. The Devil's Candy was not bad. The Endless was amazing but probably not in that vein. Possibly The Untamed? Under the Shadow? Killing Ground?
Of the ones i've already seen i loved Under The Skin and liked Eyes Of My Mother so i'll have a go with the other ones. Thanks.

The Endless is from the two blokes who did Spring innit? Liked that as well, so might watch that next.

itsfredtitmus

Is there a horror - in the broadest sense - that doesn't involve serial killers, munster serial killers, ghoulies, women disassociating (a genre all by its self), rapes, dreams, medieval Gothic happenings, malevolent objects or freak show gawking

Sin Agog

What was that Spanish TV movie where a guy steps into a phone booth, and then gets transported through the city into a building full of tons of other men rotting away in other phonebooths?  I suppppppose that could fit under the remit of 'malevolent objects', but really the phone booth is just a tool used by unseen governmental forces.

Ah, here it is.  Fucking classic.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKkfGG9q32c

itsfredtitmus

probably the greatest curio ever

itsfredtitmus

I'm trying to think of others

zomgmouse

Quote from: Dirty Boy on March 17, 2018, 03:24:40 PM
The Endless is from the two blokes who did Spring innit? Liked that as well, so might watch that next.

Yeah that's the one - however I highly recommend you see Resolution first.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Dirty Boy on March 17, 2018, 03:24:40 PM

Thanks for alerting me to this. I loved Spring and Resolution so I'm going to have to track this down.

spamwangler

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 17, 2018, 06:39:36 PM
What was that Spanish TV movie where a guy steps into a phone booth, and then gets transported through the city into a building full of tons of other men rotting away in other phonebooths?  I suppppppose that could fit under the remit of 'malevolent objects', but really the phone booth is just a tool used by unseen governmental forces.

Ah, here it is.  Fucking classic.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKkfGG9q32c

Wow that is one tight half hour! loved the soundtrack also, thanks for that

itsfredtitmus

La cabina seems to be the template for roy andersson commercials

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 17, 2018, 05:43:18 PM
Is there a horror - in the broadest sense - that doesn't involve serial killers, munster serial killers, ghoulies, women disassociating (a genre all by its self), rapes, dreams, medieval Gothic happenings, malevolent objects or freak show gawking

Timecrimes? Coherence? Enemy?

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on March 05, 2018, 10:26:12 PM
a ouija board and before long the whole place is stinking with demons over the head of it. "Based On A True Story," of course.

This is where I lose interest before I've even seen it. Not having seen it I can be confident that it will scare me about as much as a cute kitten.

Phil_A

Bobby Yeah
The Grandmother
Eyes Without A Face
Apaches
A Short Vision
Cat People

bgmnts

Is It Follows worth a punt? It's on 'flix right now.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: bgmnts on March 18, 2018, 07:28:01 PM
Is It Follows worth a punt? It's on 'flix right now.

Great film that. Loved it.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Phil_A on March 18, 2018, 07:26:03 PM
Bobby Yeah
The Grandmother
Eyes Without A Face
Apaches
A Short Vision
Cat People

Great calls!  I'll add Patrick Bokanowski's time lapsetastic L'Ange and The Woman Who Powders Herself (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfCklfAe1k).  His movies look like nothing else under the sun.

itsfredtitmus

jan svankmajer's alice scared the shit out of me

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 18, 2018, 08:21:12 PM
Great film that. Loved it.

Counter point of view: Okay film.  Overrated.  Indifferent towards it.

Custard

It Follows is a great premise, and a pretty effective horror, but the last act let's it down a lot I think

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 19, 2018, 06:00:32 PM
It Follows is a great premise, and a pretty effective horror, but the last act let's it down a lot I think

That was my main issue with the film too.  It follows?  It falls to pieces in the last act, more like.

Brundle-Fly

Highly recommend Ravenous AKA Les Affamés (2017) on Netflix right now. If you can stomach yet another film added to this sub-genre of apocalyptic horror then definitely take a look. Canadian/ French stylish production that is a cross between TWD, 28 Days Later (2002) and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978). Looks stunning, takes its time but very eerie and pretty scary in parts.

zomgmouse

Ah cool I had that one on my list from Toronto. Good to know it's been released, I'll have to track it down somehow. I would try alluc.ee but that's GONE now.

Sin Agog

Thought of another one, and it's only one of the best films of all time, Woman in the Dunes.  If I didn't start breathing heavily at the thought of doing a Top Ten list, this would one hundred percent be on there.  And I would say it's...well, broadly a horror in a Kafkaey kind of way.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 20, 2018, 08:02:53 PM
Highly recommend Ravenous AKA Les Affamés (2017) on Netflix right now. If you can stomach yet another film added to this sub-genre of apocalyptic horror then definitely take a look. Canadian/ French stylish production that is a cross between TWD, 28 Days Later (2002) and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978). Looks stunning, takes its time but very eerie and pretty scary in parts.

Yeeeeaaaaaah it was alright.  I watched it yesterday and I think it's a bit too self-consciously arty for my tastes.  I liked all the charcters though, especially that mlitary jackass and screamy posh machete lady.  For some reason their journey didn't feel like any sort of progression through the storyline, and I didn't think the 'infected' were actually portrayed in a very threatening manner.  Not annoyed that I watched it, probably wouldn't watch it again.