Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:01:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Torso

I've just watched The Ritual and it shitted me right up the trousers! Thought it was great, very effective and beautifully shot. It's about a group of lads who go on a hike in Sweden and get lost in the woods.
It played into a lot of things that seriously creep me out: ancient woods, abandoned houses, (weird cults) as well as having a cool (monster design), which (isn't shown too much) to great effect. Definitely worth watching.

Jerzy Bondov

I watched Among the Living last night, had some proper good scares and some very good killings. Bloke near the end getting the chop to the face, blimey. First horror I've seen where I was urging a character to locate the isolation valve on a washing machine.

What I really liked was the way the first half veers between extremely shocking violence and a film about some cheeky lads having a lazy day. I still haven't seen Inside but I loved Livide, which I thought was better than this. I liked its fairy tale vibe.

Custard

Jug Face (known as The Pit in't UK) - 2013

"The story of a pregnant teen trying to escape a backwoods community when she discovers that she may be sacrificed to a creature in a pit."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2620736/

Eh, was alright. Looks like it was made for about 10p, mind.

Nice premise, and Sean Young is in it. And at 80 minutes it's short n sweet enough

Mini

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 18, 2018, 10:46:49 PM
Jug Face (known as The Pit in't UK) - 2013

"The story of a pregnant teen trying to escape a backwoods community when she discovers that she may be sacrificed to a creature in a pit."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2620736/

Eh, was alright. Looks like it was made for about 10p, mind.

Nice premise, and Sean Young is in it. And at 80 minutes it's short n sweet enough

Saw that at a festival and loved it. Then met Lauren Ashley Carter and she was lovely.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 10, 2018, 07:19:53 AM
I've just watched The Ritual and it shitted me right up the trousers!.

Yep, surprisingly good this 'un.  As you say, even when you saw the creature that was hunting them, it was at least something different and new.  I also thought that the eternally living husks in the chapel were extremely creepy, especially the noises they made when he set fire to them.

Bhazor

Know what I like about The Ritual? Shit all. That's all I've got.

Brundle-Fly

Day Of The Dead:Bloodline (2018) Netflix original.

Once again, the make up department let down by a terrible script, juvenile production and some acting that would put an oak tree to shame. Great zombies though, but a load of cheesy trite shite.

Custard

Just watched The Ritual, and really liked it.

So there!

Brundle-Fly

Happy Hunting (2017) on Netflix is a good lark. Think Wake In Fright (1971) meets Southern Comfort (1981) via Breaking Bad

More of a violent suspense/ thriller than horror but worth a look if you like gory retribution.

madhair60

I watched Don't Go In the House. Absolute garbage, I'd recommend it to anyone.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 02, 2018, 07:08:20 PM
Happy Hunting (2017) on Netflix is a good lark. Think Wake In Fright (1971) meets Southern Comfort (1981) via Breaking Bad

More of a violent suspense/ thriller than horror but worth a look if you like gory retribution.

Quite an enjoyable watch, a bit like wacky races on foot.

Really enjoyed Happy Hunting too! Had loads going on, a real bizarre ride.

Noodle Lizard

I've been catching up on some found footage films I missed.  I'm not one of those people who hates the subgenre - when done well, it's responsible for some of the best horror there is - though admittedly a good 90% of it is lazy, irredeemable shite.

However, saw a couple recently I liked.

The Bay - directed by Barry Levinson, strangely enough.  It's presented as more of an after-the-fact documentary about a strange outbreak which wiped out an entire seaside town, quite cleverly using found footage from many different sources (cell-phone videos, police dashcam footage, news reports etc.) to push the narrative.  Mostly body-horror and the like, but there are a few well-executed scares and it's just about scientifically convincing enough to make you think twice about going in the water.

Leaving D.C. - a much more subdued, and seemingly zero-budget, film about a bloke who's left the city for a secluded house in the woods.  Of course, no sooner has he done so, spooky things start.  Told in the form of video blogs to his OCD support group in the city, which eventually becomes kind of eerie in and of itself as you start to wonder whether anyone's even watching.  Well-performed and some nice creepy bits, doesn't stick the landing.  Vastly improved by mentally replacing his OCD group with Cookd and Bombd.  Bad Ben is a similarly zero-budget effort about one bloke in a house.

Savageland - another pseudo-documentary more than found footage, but worth a look.  About a small border town in Arizona which falls victim to a mass killing spree.  The suspect is caught, however his photographs tell a different story about what happened.  A couple of decently creepy bits, and even though it really whacks you over the head with it, it does have a go at social commentary in a way which isn't too common in this subgenre.

So there's a few for you.

Talasour

I recently watched Hell House LLC on Amazon Prime and it was pretty good for a found footage movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIYyWAXF5bA

SteveDave

Quote from: Talasour on May 04, 2018, 01:39:35 PM
I recently watched Hell House LLC on Amazon Prime and it was pretty good for a found footage movie.

One of the best for the reaction of the fellow when they're testing the hallway "How many freaks do we have out here?"

Talasour

Quote from: SteveDave on May 04, 2018, 03:21:47 PM
One of the best for the reaction of the fellow when they're testing the hallway "How many freaks do we have out here?"

It was the clown turning up in that hall way that got me the most, yikes.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 02, 2018, 07:08:20 PM

Was that the one where people are chased across the desert as prey by rich NRA types? If so I thought it was great.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 05, 2018, 03:03:14 PM
Was that the one where people are chased across the desert as prey by rich NRA types? If so I thought it was great.

yes.

After 20 mins I thought there would not be enough legs in the plot, but I loved it just for its old school madness.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Talasour on May 04, 2018, 01:39:35 PM

This was shit-mesen good, thanks for the recommendation. There's a reddit thread out there in which the writer explains how the house works; not necessary to read of course but fills in gaps about the narrative.

Talasour

I watched the VHS last night and it was more of a massive mind fuck than an actually horror movie.

The first tape they show about the guys in the hotel room with that strange girl had me in stitches laughing.

Totally worth the watch.

Talasour

Quote from: Howj Begg on May 07, 2018, 10:48:36 PM
This was shit-mesen good, thanks for the recommendation. There's a reddit thread out there in which the writer explains how the house works; not necessary to read of course but fills in gaps about the narrative.

I wasn't really expecting anything special from the trailer but was surprised by the end of the movie and yeah I've seen the thread on Reddit and it's totally worth the read if you've got some time to spare.

Noodle Lizard

I like Hell House, LLC quite a lot.  Here's my review from a while back, definitely worth watching:

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 30, 2016, 12:33:21 PM
Did anyone see Hell House LLC?  It was casually mentioned in an IMDb post about the (utterly toilet) Blair Witch, so I thought I'd throw it on as an "off-to-sleep" kind of film.

Well, I dunno if it's because I was watching it bed in the dark late at night, but it actually scared me at a couple of points.  One scene in particular genuinely made me want to pause it.  This is really rare for me, so that's gotta count for something.

It's about a group of people setting up a haunted house attraction in an abandoned hotel.  We know from the off that something terrible happened on the opening night, and the rest of it is footage they shot whilst preparing the place which hints at something ... odd going on.  It's presented with a documentary framework a bit like Lake Mungo/The Last Broadcast, but it's a found-footage film first and foremost. 

I'm not one of those people who hates found-footage as a concept, I just think it's done poorly 9/10 times.  This is one of the times where it is not done poorly, and one of the very few to actually be at all convincing in its presentation.  Realistic quality of footage, no ramped-up sound effects, no impossible camera set-ups, fairly subdued scares (if there are any "jump scares", they're not obnoxious).  It's pretty low-budget, but that's only really apparent in the framing documentary which is poorly-shot (and cropped to 2:35, bizarrely).  The attention to detail in the house itself is pretty extensive, and it seems like there are lots of little fleeting, obscure moments which you'd notice upon rewatching.   There's the odd silly/clichéd bit (and, as with most found-footage, the motivation for filming everything is tenuous at best), but nothing that stood out as being particularly awful.

I liked it a lot, anyway.  Significantly better than the similarly-themed Houses October Built.  Would recommend, and would be interested to know if a certain bit got under anyone's skin as much as it did mine.

EDIT:  Don't watch the trailer, it's not a good representation.

Talasour

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 08, 2018, 03:17:13 PM
I like Hell House, LLC quite a lot.  Here's my review from a while back, definitely worth watching:

Great review and I totally agree about the trailer.

Talasour

Update: I watched VHS 2 last night and it was pretty darn good but still not as good as the original.

Planning on watching the third movie tonight so I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Custard

Don't wanna piss on your chips, but I found VHS Viral hugely disappointing. Not a patch on the first two

Talasour

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 09, 2018, 01:29:19 PM
Don't wanna piss on your chips, but I found VHS Viral hugely disappointing. Not a patch on the first two

I'm not expecting much mate considering it's got 'viral' in the title but I'll give it a go and hope it's not about kids eating tide pods and snorting condoms.

Talasour

You were right about VHS Viral mate, what a load of rubbish and don't get me started on the main story line.

I mean the alternative reality was pretty cool and suspenseful but the Skaters vs' Mexican cult had face palming the entire way through.

Really disappointed considering the first two movies were brilliant and my chips were well and truly pissed in.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Talasour on May 10, 2018, 11:59:22 AM
You were right about VHS Viral mate, what a load of rubbish and don't get me started on the main story line.

I mean the alternative reality was pretty cool and suspenseful but the Skaters vs' Mexican cult had face palming the entire way through.

Really disappointed considering the first two movies were brilliant and my chips were well and truly pissed in.

I really liked the parallel universe segment but mainly because I was obsessed with alternative universe and time travel horror and doppelgänger films at the time.

Junglist

Easily my favourite film of the year so far:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6738136/

Revenge

A take on the old classic revenge thriller. Gore to the max, a stunning central performance and some insanely good cinematography. Not for the faint of heart but a phenomenal ride. Attractive woman having an affair with rich dickhead, he takes her along for a yearly hunting trip with his two equally dickhead mates. Things don't go as to plan for her and the hunters become the hunted.

I wouldn't really put it in the horror genre but can't be arsed with a new thread.

Custard

Sleep Tight (2011)

Insanely gripping, insanely tense Spanish thriller/horror film from the bloke what did [REC].

Luis Tosar puts in a truly great performance as a creepy, nasty worker in a block of apartments. No spoilers beyond that, but do check it out if you get the chance.

One of the best films I've seen in a while. ****