Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:59:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

I liked As Above, So Below too, but I remember it getting a caning on here. It's really daft, but I found it really effective and disturbing in places

Livid (2011)

From the people who made the brilliant Inside (2007), comes this tale of ghostly vampire ballerinas.

Erm, it was ok. Not a patch on Inside, but it had a few decent moments.

I'm thinking the people who made Don't Breathe had seen this beforehand too, as it involves two boys and a girl attempting to burgle somewhere and suddenly finding themselves trapped in a demented horror film.

Beatrice Dalle is great and was born for horror, too.

So not a great film, but worth a butchers, I'd say

3 bags

Moribunderast

I didn't get on with As Above, So Below, but the credits do feature a song by La Femme, so the movie gets a pass for introducing me to one of my favourite current bands.

Watched Unsane and Ghostland recently. Both decent if unspectacular. Unsane feels a bit irresponsible unless the premise they present (people being wrongfully committed for profit in the US) is actually true but it's a fine Saturday evening flick. Ghostland wears a lot of influences on it's sleeves and kinda fails to live up to any of them but it's okay. I'm about ready for everybody to stop namechecking Lovecraft for a long time now. Even if you're inspired by him, let it come through in the work rather than the script and/or marketing.

I very much want to watch Revenge but am waiting to see if it's getting a cinema showing at the Melbourne Film Festival in a couple months. I'm told it would be aces on that there big screen.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Moribunderast on June 23, 2018, 01:14:15 PM
Watched Unsane and Ghostland recently. Both decent if unspectacular. Unsane feels a bit irresponsible...

I think that you'll find it to be Ghostland which was the irresponsible film.

Moribunderast

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 23, 2018, 02:19:59 PM
I think that you'll find it to be Ghostland which was the irresponsible film.

Wow. Top work by the director, there. "Yeah, sure, it'll be fine..."

St_Eddie

Quote from: Moribunderast on June 23, 2018, 03:22:43 PM
Wow. Top work by the director, there. "Yeah, sure, it'll be fine..."

It's awful, isn't it?  I'll never watch Ghostland as a result.

purlieu

The Girl With All the Gifts. Started well with what seemed like a genuinely fresh take on zombie stuff before heading off into your standard abandoned city, people making noises when they've been explicitly told not to, everyone getting killed off fare. Plus, the Doomsday-esque post-apocalyptic cyberpunk makeup on the kids was terrible, and the final scene was even worse. The main kid was brilliant though.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: purlieu on June 25, 2018, 12:39:36 AM
The Girl With All the Gifts. Started well with what seemed like a genuinely fresh take on zombie stuff before heading off into your standard abandoned city, people making noises when they've been explicitly told not to, everyone getting killed off fare. Plus, the Doomsday-esque post-apocalyptic cyberpunk makeup on the kids was terrible, and the final scene was even worse. The main kid was brilliant though.

Went to the cinema to see this. A bit cak, if I recall. Felt like a rehash of Children Of Men (2006) I remember finding the main kid slightly annoying but I feel bad saying that because she did a good job of it.

Junglist

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 22, 2018, 11:22:33 AM
You're not the the only one.  I'm happy for the people who enjoyed it but I just don't get the appeal myself.  Personally, I thought it was dull, tedious and about as scary as a clump of belly button fluff.  It honestly made me wonder if I'd watched the wrong film by mistake and perhaps there was another film titled Lake Mungo, which is really scary and engaging but there is not.

Rewatched it again today just to make sure. Yes it is absolute arse.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Junglist on June 26, 2018, 02:33:18 PM
Rewatched it again today just to make sure. Yes it is absolute arse.

Good on you for giving it a fair shot, by rewatching it.  Once was more than enough for me.  It's like a student film which was hastily shot over a weekend, as a means of getting to grips with some new equipment.

Brundle-Fly

I watched Leatherface (2017) on Netflix last night. Not as tummy turning as the original but certainly dark, very gory and nasty in a The Devil's Rejects (2005) fashion. Better than the recent Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013) with some nice ideas.

It's been generally poo-pooed by horror fans on the internet but I rather enjoyed it. Enjoyed it as much as you can a prequel to a franchise that has had every last drop of blood squeezed from it.

For the gorehounds.

Trigger for St_Eddie. More 'crazy folk in the asylum' cliches you can shake a hatchet at.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 23, 2018, 09:15:53 AM
I liked As Above, So Below too, but I remember it getting a caning on here. It's really daft, but I found it really effective and disturbing in places

Livid (2011)

From the people who made the brilliant Inside (2007), comes this tale of ghostly vampire ballerinas.

Erm, it was ok. Not a patch on Inside, but it had a few decent moments.

I'm thinking the people who made Don't Breathe had seen this beforehand too, as it involves two boys and a girl attempting to burgle somewhere and suddenly finding themselves trapped in a demented horror film.

Beatrice Dalle is great and was born for horror, too.

So not a great film, but worth a butchers, I'd say

3 bags
Aww I really, really liked Livid. The more fairytale it got the more I enjoyed it. Thier follow up - Among the Living - has its moments. Baby in the washing machine in particular.

Popped Hellraiser on the other night. I'm trying to watch the films I was most scared to watch when I was a little boy standing in front of the horror shelf in the video shop. Wes Craven's New Nightmare was another one. I'm glad I never watched Hellraiser back then as I would have woke up absolutely soaked in piss. Brilliant stuff. With that said, if Jaws made you scared to go swimming and Nightmare on Elm Street made you scared to go to sleep, what does Hellraiser do? Make you scared to solve a Rubik's cube? Not quite the same.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 26, 2018, 02:44:38 PM
Trigger for St_Eddie. More 'crazy folk in the asylum' cliches you can shake a hatchet at.

You're darn tootin'!  My crazy arse is positively fuming over here.  Mind you, I did have a very strong curry last night.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 26, 2018, 10:58:48 PM
You're darn tootin'!  My crazy arse is positively fuming over here.  Mind you, I did have a very strong curry last night.

Have you ever seen Alone In The Dark (1982)?  Another example of "loony bin" wrongness, but this is a classic scene.

Or not? No wish to offend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3srNkI0pZE

itsfredtitmus

I wanna see Lake Mungo now
I bet it's ace

Junglist

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on June 27, 2018, 02:15:46 AM
I bet it's ace

Its a few crappy images and a lol video interspersed with bad acting

St_Eddie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 26, 2018, 11:27:34 PM
Have you ever seen Alone In The Dark (1982)?  Another example of "loony bin" wrongness, but this is a classic scene.

Or not? No wish to offend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3srNkI0pZE

Without knowing the context, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.  In fact, it was quite amusing.

I bet it's ace

Go ahead and watch it.  Just don't come running to us and complaining when your brain becomes bored and starts dribbling out of your ear, in a desperate attempt to escape.

Howj Begg

I bet it's ace

Don't believe the above monsters; Lake Mungo is super chilling. One of the best horror films of recent years.

Goldentony

Yeah Lake Mungo is fucking great

St_Eddie

The only thing that Lake Mungo is good for, is making me want to sit by a lake, whilst I consume a great big juicy mango.

Steven

Quote from: Goldentony on June 28, 2018, 06:49:11 PM
Yeah Lake Mungo is fucking great

The Duke agrees and here's his mini-review as part of The Scariest Films Of All Ever.

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 27, 2018, 10:26:16 AM
Go ahead and watch it.  Just don't come running to us and complaining when your brain becomes bored and starts dribbling out of your ear, in a desperate attempt to escape.

I thought you were championing subjectivity and we're all entitled to enjoy films other people think are shite, as in Alien3>Aliens, changed your tune?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Steven on June 28, 2018, 07:51:13 PM
I thought you were championing subjectivity and we're all entitled to enjoy films other people think are shite, as in Alien3>Aliens, changed your tune?

I was being facetious.  Just a bit of gentle ribbing, is all.  I respect that other people enjoy Lake Mungo.  I don't understand their love for it, but I respect it.  I'm not sure why you'd take my jokey comment at face value, unless you think that I actually believe there's a possibility of someone's brain escaping from their ear?  Don't forget that I also said these comments in regards to Lake Mungo, earlier within this very thread...

QuoteI'm happy for the people who enjoyed it but I just don't get the appeal myself.

Good on you for giving it a fair shot, by rewatching it.

So, no.  I'm absolutely not stifling subjectivity and telling people that they're not allowed to enjoy films which I consider to be shite.

Come on, man.  This is CaB.  When was a sense of humour not acceptable around these here parts?

Steven

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 28, 2018, 09:24:50 PM
I was being facetious.  Just a bit of gentle ribbing, is all.  I respect that other people enjoy Lake Mungo.  I don't understand their love for it, but I respect it.  I'm not sure why you'd take my jokey comment at face value, unless you think that I actually believe there's a possibility of someone's brain escaping from their ear?  Don't forget that I also said these comments in regards to Lake Mungo, earlier within this very thread...

I didn't find humour in the comments and just found you were over-reiterating you thought the film was a load of shite when clearly other people disagreed and it may put others off giving it a go. I doubt you would have found humour if it had been me repeatedly saying the same kind of stuff about a movie you loved. Anyway, the slow documentary format and seeping eerie atmosphere may be underwhelming compared to a lot of other Horror with its jump-scares and buckets of gore, but it's probably aiming for an entirely different audience and evocative for people such as me who saw something like Ghostwatch live as a child and were running around in fits.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 28, 2018, 09:24:50 PM

So, no.  I'm absolutely not stifling subjectivity and telling people that they're not allowed to enjoy films which I consider to be shite.

Come on, man.  This is CaB.  When was a sense of humour not acceptable around these here parts?

is Mungo creepy? I'll watch it if its creepy but I don't want jump scares.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Steven on June 28, 2018, 10:04:30 PM
I didn't find humour in the comments and just found you were over-reiterating you thought the film was a load of shite when clearly other people disagreed and it may put others off giving it a go. I doubt you would have found humour if it had been me repeatedly saying the same kind of stuff about a movie you loved.

If that's what you think, then that's what you think.  I can't be bothered to argue against it because there's only so many times that one (or in this case, two) can run around in circles, don't you think?  However, note that in the other thread; you were outright telling me that I was wrong to hold the subjective opinion which I held.  Not once have I told anyone that they're wrong for liking Lake Mungo.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 28, 2018, 10:12:01 PM

NON FACETIOUS RESPONSE: I personally didn't find it to be creepy, much less scary but clearly, plenty of other people do find it to be so.  It certainly can't hurt to give it a go.  I don't recall there being any jump scares (thankfully).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Steven on June 28, 2018, 10:17:53 PM

glorious. but careful, he's ever primed to log back on here and cause Biggy et al some grief.

Steven

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 28, 2018, 10:34:47 PM
If that's what you think, then that's what you think.  I can't be bothered to argue against it because there's only so many times that one (or in this case, two) can run around in circles, don't you think?  However, note that in the other thread; you were outright telling me that I was wrong to hold the subjective opinion which I held.

I was being facetious. Just a bit of gentle ribbing, is all. Hyperbole on t'internet for effect? I honestly can't fathom how someone could prefer Alien3 over Aliens other than to sound dead alternative like, but have heard off someone else who thinks the same but that's in the context of having seen the latter hundreds of times as a child and finding the later edits of 3 more 'interesting' to view now as an adult, and I suppose that's fair enough but in terms of structure and entertainment I find it very difficult to not find Aliens a far superior film in whatever scale of objectivity in art could exist.

QuoteNot once have I told anyone that they're wrong for liking Lake Mungo.

Well, repeatedly stating you thought it was a load of arse certainly implies so. are you sure you weren't watching on a computer and alt-tabbing and clicking about other stuff half the time? I do this a lot for films sometimes and it ruins them, you miss much of the atmosphere, I dunno what you thought of Under The Skin but that would be similarly appalling if you didn't give it the undivided attention it needs. Indeed I recommended it to a friend online and he'd watched it within an hour and said it was crap because he 'skipped' through it, I was livid.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Steven on June 28, 2018, 11:13:38 PM
I was being facetious. Just a bit of gentle ribbing, is all. Hyperbole on t'internet for effect?

Basically, yes.

Quote from: Steven on June 28, 2018, 11:13:38 PMI honestly can't fathom how someone could prefer Alien3 over Aliens other than to sound dead alternative like, but have heard off someone else who thinks the same but that's in the context of having seen the latter hundreds of times as a child and finding the later edits of 3 more 'interesting' to view now as an adult, and I suppose that's fair enough but in terms of structure and entertainment I find it very difficult to not find Aliens a far superior film in whatever scale of objectivity in art could exist.

That's your opinion and that's fine (well, other than the first sentence of the above, where yet again, you're making assumptions as to why some people enjoy certain films).  What I took issue with was when you started posting things such as the following, in direct response to myself, for stating that I personally prefer Alien 3, over Aliens...

Quote from: Steven on May 14, 2018, 11:54:13 PM
Alien 3 in no way can be held above Aliens by any rational person, except if they're desperately trying to seem Bohemian...

...That is not comparable to what I've said in regards to Lake Mungo and more specifically, the people who like it.

Quote from: Steven on May 14, 2018, 11:54:13 PMWell, repeatedly stating you thought it was a load of arse certainly implies so.

No it doesn't.  That's just me stating my opinion.  If I'd said something to the affect of "People who claim to like Lake Mungo are only saying that they like it because they're bohemian hipsters.  They don't really think that.  It's not possible for them to truly like the film", then you'd have a point because that's what you said to me for preferring Alien 3, over Aliens.

Quote from: Steven on June 28, 2018, 11:13:38 PM...are you sure you weren't watching on a computer and alt-tabbing and clicking about other stuff half the time?

Yes, Steven.  I'm sure.  I don't watch films that way (unless I've simply got the TV on in the background, just for comfort and a film just happens to be playing on one of the channels).

Quote from: Steven on June 28, 2018, 11:13:38 PMI dunno what you thought of Under The Skin...

It's in my top 3 films of all time.

Steven

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 28, 2018, 11:42:35 PM
Yes, Steven.  I'm sure.  I don't watch films that way (unless I've simply got the TV on in the background, just for comfort and a film just happens to be playing on one of the channels).

Oh well, Color Me Kuntrick, then!

Gregory Torso

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 28, 2018, 10:12:01 PM

I found it very creepy and also rather sad. There's one big sort of jump scare in it but it's earned and part of the story. I'd say good for it. It's slow but rewarding.