Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Aye, A Girl... is excellent too

Junglist

Ghostland (aka the film that disfigured an actress):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6195094/

Laugier's best since Martyrs. That's not to say its anything beyond serviceable as Martyrs is the first masterpiece of the genre since Angst. Mother and her two daughters move into the property left by their dead aunt only to be attacked the night they move in. Many years later the daughters reunite at the house and shit goes weird.

Some wonderful brutality in places, two very good central performances, but in general it tries a bit too hard and never really hits any great heights. It was okay.

Howj Begg

Custard

Another shout for Calibre. Seriously excellent stuff

Custard

Happy Death Day (2017) - A fun, surprisingly warm-hearted horror take on Groundhog Day. Really good fun in places

3-4 bags

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 10, 2018, 08:09:37 AM
Happy Death Day (2017) - A fun, surprisingly warm-hearted horror take on Groundhog Day. Really good fun in places

3-4 bags

I quite enjoyed this but wish they'd had a bit more fun with the concept and that the deaths weren't so bloodless. At least the ending was fairly satisfactory, though given that a sequel is currently being made I hope they don't fuck that element up.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 09, 2018, 09:42:28 PM
Another shout for Calibre. Seriously excellent stuff

Yep.  Not Sure it is strictly a horror but it is brilliant either way.

Gregory Torso

Has anyone seen Mom And Dad? I quite enjoyed it, good performances from Nic Cage and Selma Blair (who looks a bit like Claudia Winkleman), pretty funny in places. The high pitched whines and sudden radio static jump cuts can do one though.

Custard

I preferred the Mum and Dad from a few years ago, with Perry Benson in it

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 14, 2018, 06:17:31 AM
Has anyone seen Mom And Dad? I quite enjoyed it, good performances from Nic Cage and Selma Blair (who looks a bit like Claudia Winkleman), pretty funny in places. The high pitched whines and sudden radio static jump cuts can do one though.

I started a thread about it a while back - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=64980.0 - and liked it a fair bit.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 14, 2018, 11:52:00 AM
I started a thread about it a while back - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=64980.0 - and liked it a fair bit.

Ah sorry, I didn't check. Yeah I liked it too - I thought the funny bits worked with the distressing bits and enjoyed a lot of the things about parent child relationships, being both a father and a son myself, I worry a lot about when my kid becomes a teenager and doesn't want to be my best friend anymore or talk to me, especially as I wa such a shit as a teenager. Good stuff anyway.

Great use of Roxette too!

Mini

Saw Marrowbone last night, English-language Spanish film from the guy who wrote The Orphanage. It's an odd one because the story is interesting but his directing is quite noticeably awful. Could have been brilliant with J. A. Bayona or literally anyone else at the helm. My review.

chveik

I just rewatched In the Mouth of Madness. Does anyone know other good films influenced by Lovecraft?

Gregory Torso

Quote from: chveik on July 17, 2018, 11:08:07 AM
I just rewatched In the Mouth of Madness. Does anyone know other good films influenced by Lovecraft?

From Beyond is pretty great.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0091083/?ref_=fn_al_tt_0

Paaaaul

And from the same director, Stuart Gordon, Dagon is an under-appreciated adaptation of HPL's Shadow Over Innsmouth.

zomgmouse

Curse of the Crimson Altar is loosely based on a Lovecraft short story.
The Endless is kind of Lovecraftian.

St_Eddie

Quote from: chveik on July 17, 2018, 11:08:07 AM

In the Mouth of Madness is my favourite Lovecraftian film.  Aside from that and some of the other nominations above, I've just started watching the 10 part, Ridley Scott produced series The Terror, which is also Lovecraftian (and very good).

chveik

Thanks everyone! I'll start watching The Terror tonight, it looks fantastic.

mjwilson

Quote from: Mini on July 17, 2018, 10:04:51 AM
Saw Marrowbone last night, English-language Spanish film from the guy who wrote The Orphanage. It's an odd one because the story is interesting but his directing is quite noticeably awful. Could have been brilliant with J. A. Bayona or literally anyone else at the helm. My review.

I didn't find anything to be as badly lit as you did, to be honest, although it should certainly have finished 5 minutes earlier than it did.

purlieu

Touches of Lovecraft to The Borderlands and Mr. Jones. Both found footage but solid regardless. Also The Void and Dead Birds. Maybe Absentia.
A 40 minute short called AM1200 is a lovely Lovecraftian tale.

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 16, 2018, 02:54:23 PM
Had a go at The Blackcoat's Daughter aka February which really went the way bad slow burns do in not giving us anything to connect with at the start to sustain the burn. Once the devily stuff comes in it starts picking up but even then it's just a flimsy puzzle-piecing exercise with a bit of atmospheric work. All quite mediocre.
Yeah, I know it has quite a few fans on here but having watched this recently, I was pretty disappointed. It's the kind of thing I feel I should like, but it didn't grip me at all.

Bhazor

Dead Birds is ruined by being a horror movie.

Boooo! Too frightening!

St_Eddie

purlieu

God, I don't even remember that. I just recall the overall mood being unsettling and it having a very "something totally unimaginable is causing all this shit" vibe to it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: purlieu on July 28, 2018, 09:31:04 PM
God, I don't even remember that. I just recall the overall mood being unsettling and it having a very "something totally unimaginable is causing all this shit" vibe to it.

Funny that you should mention that because looking at your avatar...

purlieu

I'm surprised Nurse With Wound have never actually done a horror film soundtrack.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paaaaul on July 17, 2018, 06:07:55 PM
And from the same director, Stuart Gordon, Dagon is an under-appreciated adaptation of HPL's Shadow Over Innsmouth.

A great film. The scene where he enters the hotel room is brilliantly evocative of how I imagined Innsmouth in the story.

Moribunderast

Just saw PIERCING at the Melbourne International Film Festival. It's the new film by Nicolas Pesce who made THE EYES OF MY MOTHER, a film I thought was excellently-made and yet despised. I might need to go back and revisit it because I really enjoyed Piercing. Pesce depicts violence and the threat of violence in a genuinely unpleasant way which is difficult to watch but is probably better than fetishising it. Piercing is based on the Ryu Murakami (author of Audition) book of the same name and follows Christopher Abbott as he sets about murdering prostitute, Mia Wasikowska. I'm a big fan of both the leads and they really delivered here. Abbott has a scary intensity to him and he seems to regularly choose scripts that showcase this well. The film flits between horror/thriller and pitch black comedy and succeeds in both areas while the plot clips along at a good pace and keeps you guessing all the way. Soundtrack is aces too. Definitely worth a look, I'd say, and Pesce is a horror director worth keeping an eye on. I see he's currently filming another US remake of The Grudge, which, eurgh. Hopefully he gets back to something interesting after that.

BlodwynPig

Read that book a long time ago and, like most of his books, it was unsettling. Will give the film a go, thanks.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 27, 2018, 10:26:16 AM
Go ahead and watch it.  Just don't come running to us and complaining when your brain becomes bored and starts dribbling out of your ear, in a desperate attempt to escape.
Here's the gotcha I've been waiting for!

Watched it just then, really GOOD. had it leave it on pause for a few while and lower the volume at that scene

itsfredtitmus

a film that taps into the fear of opening up snapchat and the dog ear filter snapping onto an invisible spirit