Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 11:10:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on December 27, 2018, 05:31:36 AM
CAM was really good I thought. Simple and effective. I like that you still never really found out what it was that was causing the thing. And a great use of tension, a couple of unresolved hooks notwithstanding.

The dinging is just the sound that occurs in that environment.

And re your second point - the main writer was a former camgirl. And also - so what?

I quite liked this, it's genuinely unpleasant at times see the lead in so much distress, but I don't know, I didn't quite click with it and got bored a couple of times. A 6.2/10 kind of film, I've no regrets that I watched it but I'll never catch it a second time.

Frazer

Tumbbad (2018) is about a 'greedy bastard' who is determined to find the treasure hidden in his father's mansion. It creates a very good atmosphere right from the start, wobbles a bit when the first song kicks in (no dancing) before pulling you right back in for the finale.
Thumbs up.

Free on Amazon Prime.

Brundle-Fly

Revenge (2018)

Really enjoyed this retribution thriller tonight.  Directed by Coralie Fargeat  Daft, but stylish Grindhouse exploitation homage with loads of gratuitious gore and sexiness. I Spit On Your Grave via Glazer and Daft Punk.

Head Gardener

just the trailer so far but this looks pretty good

https://vimeo.com/291492096

St_Eddie

Brundle-Fly

phes

Quote from: Junglist on October 09, 2018, 07:53:46 PM
Await Further Instructions is a bit shit but fucking hell is it wonderfully fun shit.

Thanks for this. Shit in almost every possible way but still somehow very enjoyable

I also watched Revenge, which was probably better in a number of ways but I found it really dull

I just don't know anymore.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phes on January 01, 2019, 06:52:33 PM
Thanks for this. Shit in almost every possible way but still somehow very enjoyable

I also watched Revenge, which was probably better in a number of ways but I found it really dull

I just don't know anymore.

I can understand why you might have found Revenge dull, because as a retribution storyline it has been done to death but it looked so visually stunning and I thought everybody played their part well.

I watched Await Further Instructions last night and it was enjoyable enough as it evoked some 'straight to video' film circa 1988.  Why do nearly all British thrillers/ horrors always have these plaintive, old fashioned scores?

Rev+

(Cam)
Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 27, 2018, 05:56:19 PM
I quite liked this, it's genuinely unpleasant at times see the lead in so much distress, but I don't know, I didn't quite click with it and got bored a couple of times. A 6.2/10 kind of film, I've no regrets that I watched it but I'll never catch it a second time.

It's not an idea that can sustain a full-length film unless you really go mental with it, which they don't.  It's alright, but gets dull because they reach the limit of what they want to do quite early on.  Ideally it'd be half the length and an episode in the new Twilight Zone series.

Rust Creek prefers to present itself as a thriller, but it's a modern version of a 70s style horror flick that's being coy.  Big city girl takes a wrong turn and ends up in Bumblefuck USA, where she finds herself lost in the woods pursued by Bubba and Skeeter.  Lots of running about, and uncertainty about who can be trusted.  Certainly not a gorefest, but absolutely a horror film, it all feels very familiar but it's not badly put together.

purlieu

Quote from: Howj Begg on November 03, 2018, 04:58:28 PM
The Devil's Doorway (2018) is a terrific little film, the Irish answer to Borderlands - which is also great, mind, not bad like some wrong people on here said. Lalor Roddy is commanding as Father Thomas, and Father John looks... exactly like my brother, actually. It does a lot with a house and some good actors, and it looks very good. Just don't think about how Father John is filming everything so easily with 1960s equipment.
There were some very creepy and unsettling moments in this, but overall I felt it was hampered by a few too many modern Hollywood-style scary girl / spooky nun jump scares, and the premise and final act running so bloody close to The Borderlands it practically bordered on copyright infringement at times.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 03, 2019, 01:14:38 PM

I watched Await Further Instructions last night and it was enjoyable enough as it evoked some 'straight to video' film circa 1988. 

Although the plot and acting were pretty hokey, the end imagery was kind of excellent. It delivered on that one aspect. But I wonder if enough people will persist an hour and some into the film to actually witness it.

purlieu

Quote from: Steven on November 15, 2017, 05:55:19 PM
Radius 2017

Liam (Diego Klattenhoff) wakes from a car crash at the bottom of a deep ditch with no memory of who he is. As he makes his way into town, he discovers that anyone who comes within a 50-foot radius of him dies instantly. Out of options, he tries to live in seclusion to protect others, until the day a woman comes up to him and doesn't die in his presence. With her arrival, Liam's murderous power now seems to have subsided. The woman, Jane (Charlotte Sullivan), is also amnesiac and looking for answers. Together, they embark on a journey to uncover who they are and what happened to them on the night of the accident.
Enjoyed this a lot. A nice low-key low-budget film, although I'd say it probably veers closer to sci-fi than horror in general.

Goldentony

Who in this thread recommended He's Out There to everyone? because you belong in fucking jail mate

Custard

Fuck me, Incident In A Ghostland is a dark, nasty little watch. Pretty effective and entertaining though.

Apparently the lead actress is suing the film company, after properly mangling herself up when she fell through some glass. Lovely

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 06, 2019, 05:39:59 AM
Fuck me, Incident In A Ghostland is a dark, nasty little watch. Pretty effective and entertaining though.

Apparently the lead actress is suing the film company, after properly mangling herself up when she fell through some glass. Lovely

Yes, she's been scarred for life.  Fuck that film and fuck the director.  I'll never watch it.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 04, 2018, 10:31:55 AM
I've been catching up on some found footage films I missed.  I'm not one of those people who hates the subgenre - when done well, it's responsible for some of the best horror there is - though admittedly a good 90% of it is lazy, irredeemable shite.

However, saw a couple recently I liked.

The Bay - directed by Barry Levinson, strangely enough.  It's presented as more of an after-the-fact documentary about a strange outbreak which wiped out an entire seaside town, quite cleverly using found footage from many different sources (cell-phone videos, police dashcam footage, news reports etc.) to push the narrative.  Mostly body-horror and the like, but there are a few well-executed scares and it's just about scientifically convincing enough to make you think twice about going in the water.

Leaving D.C. - a much more subdued, and seemingly zero-budget, film about a bloke who's left the city for a secluded house in the woods.  Of course, no sooner has he done so, spooky things start.  Told in the form of video blogs to his OCD support group in the city, which eventually becomes kind of eerie in and of itself as you start to wonder whether anyone's even watching.  Well-performed and some nice creepy bits, doesn't stick the landing.  Vastly improved by mentally replacing his OCD group with Cookd and Bombd.  Bad Ben is a similarly zero-budget effort about one bloke in a house.

Savageland - another pseudo-documentary more than found footage, but worth a look.  About a small border town in Arizona which falls victim to a mass killing spree.  The suspect is caught, however his photographs tell a different story about what happened.  A couple of decently creepy bits, and even though it really whacks you over the head with it, it does have a go at social commentary in a way which isn't too common in this subgenre.

So there's a few for you.

Quite enjoyed Leaving DC, but Bad Ben - fair enough, low-budget - was pretty tedious, almost laughably mundane at times. Having said that, I have Prime for a bit longer and will probably give at least one of the two sequels a go.

The Bay is good.

Junglist

The below isn't outright horror but it has that kinda eerie, woozy atmosphere of the genre.

Border:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5501104/

A female customs officer with the capability to smell fear becomes intrigued by an odd fellow whilst her every day work leads her down a dark path. Its a highly original film, allowed to breathe by the director and cinematographer. Eva Melander's performance is extraordinary, completely morphed by prosthetics and carry an Ungodly weight  on her shoulders.

Don't watch a trailer, don't read any reviews. Its fucking brilliant.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 11, 2019, 11:24:36 PM
Quite enjoyed Leaving DC, but Bad Ben - fair enough, low-budget - was pretty tedious, almost laughably mundane at times. Having said that, I have Prime for a bit longer and will probably give at least one of the two sequels a go.

The Bay is good.

I think the mundanity in Bad Ben was supposed to be at least a little bit funny, deriving from the kind of "arsed mate, cigs" protagonist.  There are these bits where he's basically just moaning to the poltergeist or what-have-you ("Heyyy, come on!") rather than reacting in abject horror as is traditional.  It's a bit like if the Peep Show flat got infested with a spirit.

Mister Six

Quote from: Junglist on February 11, 2019, 11:44:12 PM
The below isn't outright horror but it has that kinda eerie, woozy atmosphere of the genre.

Border:

A female customs officer with the capability to smell fear becomes intrigued by an odd fellow whilst her every day work leads her down a dark path. Its a highly original film, allowed to breathe by the director and cinematographer. Eva Melander's performance is extraordinary, completely morphed by prosthetics and carry an Ungodly weight  on her shoulders.

Written by the bloke that did Let the Right One In.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 11, 2019, 11:45:25 PM
I think the mundanity in Bad Ben was supposed to be at least a little bit funny, deriving from the kind of "arsed mate, cigs" protagonist.  There are these bits where he's basically just moaning to the poltergeist or what-have-you ("Heyyy, come on!") rather than reacting in abject horror as is traditional.  It's a bit like if the Peep Show flat got infested with a spirit.

I liked that at first, but it got annoying. "Fuck my life!"

It made a change from the other end of the found footage spectrum, vomitous camera shaking and people screaming WHAT THE FUCK all the time. As I said, I'll check out Bad Ben 2.

BlodwynPig

Border:

A female customs officer with the capability to smell fear becomes intrigued by an odd fellow whilst her every day work leads her down a dark path. Its a highly original film, allowed to breathe by the director and cinematographer. Eva Melander's performance is extraordinary, completely morphed by prosthetics and carry an Ungodly weight  on her shoulders.

Thank you -anything with Border in the title (Borderlands, Bordertown,  Ligotti's story, Murakami's story ...err Madonna's song) is worth a shout

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 12, 2019, 12:46:00 AM
Thank you -anything with Border in the title (Borderlands, Bordertown,  Ligotti's story, Murakami's story ...err Madonna's song) is worth a shout

That strip club in The Sopranos.

ToneLa

Quote from: Goldentony on January 30, 2019, 06:39:25 PM
Who in this thread recommended He's Out There to everyone? because you belong in fucking jail mate

Comment made me laugh. Reading the plot I understand it..!

zomgmouse

Border:

I'm setting this Monday, very intrigued...

holyzombiejesus

I don't suppose there's a website where you can type a film's name and it tells you which platform you can watch it on? I've no idea how to (legally) watch most of these.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 13, 2019, 07:08:45 PM
I don't suppose there's a website where you can type a film's name and it tells you which platform you can watch it on? I've no idea how to (legally) watch most of these.

Someone here posted this link not that long ago https://www.justwatch.com. Seems pretty accurate.

Edit  ^ it was Mr Sebastian Cobb

Gonk

One Cut of the Dead is a hugely reccomendable zombie flick set in a sort of PUBG map - was sold by a review saying it's a load of trite-and-tested bollocks for a half hour until a narrative shift. One of those films worth watching without looking into at all and almost ruined by even mentioning a plot development, but jesus wept, there's a payoff. Honestly great thing, give it a go.

Also watched Await Further Instructions, fuck me senseless what a terribly enjoyable temple of shithouse.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 13, 2019, 07:50:32 PM
Someone here posted this link not that long ago https://www.justwatch.com. Seems pretty accurate.

Edit  ^ it was Mr Sebastian Cobb

Ah, thanks for that. I just got my 7 day free trial of Shudder based on that suite stating that they had The Witch in the Window available. Looks like they got it wrong :(

Any recommendations for films on Shudder seeing as I now have it for a week?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 11, 2019, 11:45:25 PM

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 12, 2019, 12:14:28 AM
I liked that at first, but it got annoying. "Fuck my life!"

It made a change from the other end of the found footage spectrum, vomitous camera shaking and people screaming WHAT THE FUCK all the time. As I said, I'll check out Bad Ben 2.

Watched the prequel Bad Ben 2 as promised. It was no great shakes (haha a found footage genre joke), but I'll concede there was a little more going on than in the first one. It was marred by poor dialogue and flat acting throughout though. And there was some exposition at the end that was there solely to put things in place for the events at the start of the first film - it was done so transparently that I wondered whether it was a joke.

Anyway, it turns out that the filmmaker behind it has uploaded all 5 Bad Ben movies to his youtube channel (Nigel Bach), with Bad Ben 6 coming soon, so fair play to him. I guess I'll carry on watching.

Bennett Brauer

I have to add as a disclaimer that Bad Ben 1 & 2 do not align with the thread title. For found footage completists only.