Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,363
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:09:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennett Brauer

Just watched Bad Ben 3, Badder Ben, stop going on about Bad Ben you boring bastard, alright I will after this post, and it's clear that he's doing it for the fans and his cult following, playing it for laughs.

He said "Are you shittin' me?" 48 times but it did have a decent actor in it for once, Jacquie Baker.

New page? Are you shittin' me?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Junglist on February 11, 2019, 11:44:12 PM
The below isn't outright horror but it has that kinda eerie, woozy atmosphere of the genre.

Border:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5501104/

A female customs officer with the capability to smell fear becomes intrigued by an odd fellow whilst her every day work leads her down a dark path. Its a highly original film, allowed to breathe by the director and cinematographer. Eva Melander's performance is extraordinary, completely morphed by prosthetics and carry an Ungodly weight  on her shoulders.

Don't watch a trailer, don't read any reviews. Its fucking brilliant.

This was really really good! Definitely not a horror film by any means but I can see why you might put it in this thread. It is Very Scandinavian in certain respects but quite refreshing and intriguing and touching.

purlieu

Intriguing looking film on its way next month called The Hole in the Ground. Den of Geek writes:
QuoteSundance hit which sees a young mother newly located to a remote house in Ireland close to a forest with a MASSIVE HOLE IN THE GROUND start to suspect that her son has been replaced by a changeling child. It's the first feature from Lee Cronin it's eerie and suspenseful with a wtf hole-related ending that will keep you guessing. It's being touted as the new 'Hereditary' but, spoilers, it's really not.
As someone who loves weird phenomena, it definitely appeals. Has a pretty good score on Rotten Tomatoes too.

SteveDave

Quote from: Junglist on February 11, 2019, 11:44:12 PM
The below isn't outright horror but it has that kinda eerie, woozy atmosphere of the genre.

Border:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5501104/

A female customs officer with the capability to smell fear becomes intrigued by an odd fellow whilst her every day work leads her down a dark path. Its a highly original film, allowed to breathe by the director and cinematographer. Eva Melander's performance is extraordinary, completely morphed by prosthetics and carry an Ungodly weight  on her shoulders.

Don't watch a trailer, don't read any reviews. Its fucking brilliant.

There's one big q that doesn't get a'd in this film but I can't do spoiler text on my phone.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: purlieu on February 20, 2019, 03:36:31 PM
Intriguing looking film on its way next month called The Hole in the Ground. Den of Geek writes:As someone who loves weird phenomena, it definitely appeals. Has a pretty good score on Rotten Tomatoes too.

It's totally slipped my mind - an old cosmic horror story about a man living in a house in Ireland (I think) with his sister and a hole in the ground and the things inside sending him into a unbelievably psychedelic bit of time travel. It's an old story.

zomgmouse

Quote from: SteveDave on February 28, 2019, 10:06:25 PM
There's one big q that doesn't get a'd in this film but I can't do spoiler text on my phone.

What's the q?

SteveDave

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 01, 2019, 07:01:14 AM
What's the q?

It is...What happened to the human baby that Vore swapped for the one in the fridge?

undeliberated

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 01, 2019, 01:36:00 AM
It's totally slipped my mind - an old cosmic horror story about a man living in a house in Ireland (I think) with his sister and a hole in the ground and the things inside sending him into a unbelievably psychedelic bit of time travel. It's an old story.

The House on the Borderland?

zomgmouse

Quote from: SteveDave on March 01, 2019, 09:33:26 AM
It is...What happened to the human baby that Vore swapped for the one in the fridge?

Presumably he sold it... I assume the ring that got caught wasn't the only one operational.

SteveDave

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 01, 2019, 01:38:23 PM
Presumably he sold it... I assume the ring that got caught wasn't the only one operational.

S'pose. Could've done with at least one unambiguous happy ending.

zomgmouse

Quote from: SteveDave on March 01, 2019, 03:00:27 PM
S'pose. Could've done with at least one unambiguous happy ending.

But she's got a nice little troll baby to raise! That seemed happy to me.

BlodwynPig

purlieu

Mm yes, Border was excellent, I'd say it just about qualifies as horror in some senses. Definitely atmospheric, strange, with some really horrifying moments. Not a cheery film for a Saturday night but I thought it was excellent.

SteveDave

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 01, 2019, 11:20:16 PM
But she's got a nice little troll baby to raise! That seemed happy to me.

That will probably grow up to aid pedlos in the fight against the humans. Swedes!

zomgmouse

Quote from: SteveDave on March 04, 2019, 10:21:58 AM
That will probably grow up to aid pedlos in the fight against the humans. Swedes!

Wait for the sequel, Border 2: Paedogeddon.

Bennett Brauer

A little behind the times, just watched Ghost Ship (2002) free on Prime. It doesn't live up to the excellent opening sequence, but there are some effective moments in between the longueurs and occasionally flat acting, and a fairly decent climax. I guessed which character was going to be the subject of the twist though (I usually don't). 7 barnacles out of 10.

purlieu

I thought it was mostly dreck, but agreed that the opening scene is utterly incredible.

St_Eddie

Quote from: purlieu on March 06, 2019, 10:59:21 AM
I thought it was mostly dreck, but agreed that the opening scene is utterly incredible.

I remember watching that movie Ghost Ship,
After it was over I threw the tape onto the tip.
For it was not very good and mostly dreck,
Well, except for the opening up on the deck.

holyzombiejesus

Watched a new Netflix thing called Await Further Instructions. An odd film, starts off like an own brand Black Mirror with a really shit actress. A load of shit actors family comes together for Christmas and then realises they're all trapped in the house together and can't get out. TV starts displaying 'sinister' messages and David Bradley is a racist grandad. So far, so boring. Then, at the end, it does something unexpected but not in a particularly fun way.

zomgmouse

The Guest was astonishingly fun -  full of holes, but still really enjoyable. Stressed me out no end - which was its job, of course.
Has Wingard made a good film besides this and You're Next? Seems like he's been involved with a lot of questionable stuff...

SteveDave

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 12, 2019, 06:28:09 AM
The Guest was astonishingly fun -  full of holes, but still really enjoyable. Stressed me out no end - which was its job, of course.
Has Wingard made a good film besides this and You're Next? Seems like he's been involved with a lot of questionable stuff...

I went into that blind and at one point thought it was a sly Terminator reboot.

SteveDave

I saw "Hole In The Ground" last night.

It lasted one hour and 30 minutes or so and was set in Ireland. That's about what I can remember.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Junglist on May 03, 2017, 07:28:04 PM
A Dark Song

Tale of a woman hiring a guy to do a ritual so as to contact her dead son. Essentially two people locked in a house throughout, its really well done. Two superb leading performances, enough feeling of uncertainty to make you question the whole thing, which is however left with horror's greatest modern problem in that the ending is weak. Not terrible, just weak. Worth a watch, Steve Oram is superb again.

Just watched this myself - having only just heard of it today - and overall thought it was really good and genuinely creepy at times.  Great performances, great cinematography and sound, tastefully-executed (for the most part).  I agree about the ending, not so much because of its departure, but moreso because of its content and conclusion.  That all felt a little unearned and I can think of several other outcomes which might have worked better.

But fuck, it does a lot more right than it does wrong, and it's leagues better than any contemporary "best horror ever" I can think of.  Folk losing their shit over whatever Blumhouse or A24 has picked up would do well to look at this.  Highly recommended.

BlodwynPig

Should have a thread about Horror Movies with bonafide GOOD endings. Probably be only a page long.

holyzombiejesus

I saw Piercing (2018) on Saturday and still can't make my mind up about it, partly because I was really pissed when I watched it. Directed by Nicolas Pesce, it's adapted from a Japanese novel by the guy who wrote Audition and tells of a man going to a hotel, planning to torture and murder a prostitute. Then it goes strangel. It's only about 80 minutes long and I may need to watch again as I can't remember any of the 2nd half apart from a really strange bit. Mia Wasikowska is in it, I can remember that. And they use a brilliant (remixed?) Stelvio Cipriani track at the start which is in keeping with the giallo stylings of the rest of the films.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 25, 2019, 01:36:04 PM
I saw Piercing (2018) on Saturday and still can't make my mind up about it, partly because I was really pissed when I watched it. Directed by Nicolas Pesce, it's adapted from a Japanese novel by the guy who wrote Audition and tells of a man going to a hotel, planning to torture and murder a prostitute. Then it goes strangel. It's only about 80 minutes long and I may need to watch again as I can't remember any of the 2nd half apart from a really strange bit. Mia Wasikowska is in it, I can remember that. And they use a brilliant (remixed?) Stelvio Cipriani track at the start which is in keeping with the giallo stylings of the rest of the films.

Ryu Murakami's book. Thanks for reminding me about this. Will seek it out.

holyzombiejesus

It's available on Netflix.

BlodwynPig

Enrico Palazzo

Was keen to watch Piercing but it's been taken off Netflix already. First time i've noticed them only putting a movie on for a few days.

Gregory Torso

I just saw I Am Not A Serial Killer this morning. Really enjoyed it, but don't want to spoil too much - there's a pretty big twist about half way through that takes the film in a different direction. It's primarily about a high school kid with sociopathic tendencies who's really into blood and death (shades of Excision) but then mutilated bodies start turning up in the town and things get weird. The film had a nice grainy, 90s feel to it, and very few technological signifiers to denote its time period. Christopher Loyd is good init. innit! There were a few questions thrown up in my mind, but as I said, if you see this thing, go into knowing nothing about it. It also had a jump scare in it that actually got me, and didn't make me sigh and say fuck off (a rarity).

BIG SPOILER: I did like how ( there was no explanation of what the hell Christopher Loyd was, and John's mum seemed fairly laid back about him melting all over her mortuary slab ).