Author Topic: Good Horror Movies  (Read 126148 times)

purlieu

• Woo-hoo, Lord Nimon!
Re: Good Horror Movies
« Reply #2160 on: April 14, 2019, 08:38:49 PM »
Thought Cam was pretty good. Definitely had a Twilight Zone vibe, and although a little long, didn't particularly outstay its welcome. Genuine sympathy for the main character, and a lot of tension: the situation felt so down-to-Earth that it was horrible to watch someone's life go off the rails like that. The lack of tedious exposition was a major benefit too. No classic, but really worth a watch.

Dr Syntax Head

• Empty alcohol
« Reply #2161 on: April 14, 2019, 09:01:51 PM »
Watched a new Netflix thing called Await Further Instructions. An odd film, starts off like an own brand Black Mirror with a really shit actress. A load of shit actors family comes together for Christmas and then realises they're all trapped in the house together and can't get out. TV starts displaying 'sinister' messages and David Bradley is a racist grandad. So far, so boring. Then, at the end, it does something unexpected but not in a particularly fun way.

I saw that one bored afternoon. It wants to be something it isn't.

Dr Syntax Head

• Empty alcohol
« Reply #2162 on: April 14, 2019, 09:07:46 PM »
The Guest was astonishingly fun -  full of holes, but still really enjoyable. Stressed me out no end - which was its job, of course.
Has Wingard made a good film besides this and You're Next? Seems like he's been involved with a lot of questionable stuff...

I really liked this film for what it was. It reminded me a little of that film where Emile Hirsch is a rebel type who befriends a loner kid and gradually goes psycho.

SteveDave

• My LPs are still for sale in all good record shops
    • BUY BUY BUY
« Reply #2163 on: April 16, 2019, 03:17:34 PM »
There's a modern film where a man is convinced that everyone is being taken over by aliens or sutin but I can't remember what it's called. American indie. Cheap looking. Someone on here recommended it. It's called something like "They Are Still Out There" or some other long winded title? Any ideas?

« Reply #2164 on: April 16, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »
There's a modern film where a man is convinced that everyone is being taken over by aliens or sutin but I can't remember what it's called. American indie. Cheap looking. Someone on here recommended it. It's called something like "They Are Still Out There" or some other long winded title? Any ideas?

'They Look Like People' possibly.

SteveDave

• My LPs are still for sale in all good record shops
    • BUY BUY BUY
« Reply #2165 on: April 16, 2019, 03:44:09 PM »
'They Look Like People' possibly.

Got it in one. I think. Ta!