Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:55:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

You know what's sort of quite good?  The Serpent and the Rainbow (I've started doing the bold thing too - just seeing how it goes).

The problem is, like quite a few horror movies, while it starts out really well and does an excellent job of creating an atmosphere of dread and the heebie-jeebies, it completely falls apart in its third act and becomes laughable (there is actually a scene where Bill Pullman is being chased around by an evil chair).  But it's worth watching just for the first hour or so, and it got me interested in Caribbean voodoo and stuff 'n' such.  I read almost two Wikipedia articles on it.

I'm also going to restate my recommendation of Angel Heart.  Again, it falls apart a bit at the end, but nowhere near to the same extent and only really because of two misguided, daft-looking images which Alan Parker has expressed regret over.  It's a fucking good film though, still trying to get hold of the book.

GeeWhiz

What I like about Carnival of Souls most of all is the nightmarish quality. It has atmosphere rising off it like steam. It's one of those films where the teeny budget serves the spareness of it well - so much empty space, so much isolation.

Messiah of Evil has a similar quality. It's a low budget 70s horror with a real sense of mounting menace, helped by being filmed mostly at night and underscored by near-constant rolling waves. It also makes piss all sense, which is apparently less a creative choice and more a consequence of budget cuts and incomplete filming. Great for viewing in a 1am stupor.

billtheburger

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 22, 2013, 10:59:48 AM
You know what's sort of quite good?  The Serpent and the Rainbow (I've started doing the bold thing too - just seeing how it goes).
I'm also going to restate my recommendation of Angel Heart.
All three of these things are great.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: GeeWhiz on August 20, 2013, 03:53:55 PM
Aw fanks. Looking back, the whole thing is a bit woozy and poorly punctuated, but I stand by the list. I bloody love a bit of Cush. A new print of Corruption is showing at this year's Frightfest, I see. Am v tempted.

Well, I wasn't going to mention that but as you have....

Seriously though, I thought it was really nice list – although people can say 'well, that's not very obscure', it will be to some. Also, I think it can be off-putting to some if a list just comprises of incredibly obscure films. Overlooking that they might be hard and/or pricey to source, very niche appeal etc., it can make them feel an ignoramus.

Some of the alternative suggestions weret just as well know – e.g. if you've seen or know of the first Phibes film, there's a good chance that you know of the second; Theatre of Blood had something of a renaissance thanks to the stage version – but they were ones that the people obviously liked and it was lovely to see.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 21, 2013, 07:55:27 PM
Does 'Night of the Hunter' qualify? I found it to be deeply unsettling with a distinctly woozy and dreamlike quality to it that makes the whole thing seem like an extremely vivid nightmare. It is of course regarded as a masterpiece in brooding terror nowadays and an obvious precursor to the works of David Lynch and the like....

Normally, it's described as a thriller but I don't think it would be out of place in this kind of discussion – if it's excluded then I would make an argument that a heck of a lot of psycho-thrillers would have to be tossed out.

Personally, I wouldn't say it's horror par se and I tend to put it into the Southern Gothic category and that usually contains elements of horror.

The film's visual style owes much to German Expressionism – that's not to denigrate its brilliance or influence, just that it didn't arise from nothing.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 22, 2013, 10:23:05 AM...Not only is there a Rifftrax of it, there's also Mike doing a commentary on the Legend Films release (colourised, so they could claim copyright on their original work). Mocking an absolute classic just doesn't work, and coincidentally it's the film that broke me of my Rifftrax purchasing....

Interesting to hear - I have a vague feeling I heard they had turned their attention to that, which didn't sound like a wise move to me.

Quote from: GeeWhiz on August 22, 2013, 11:03:48 AM....Messiah of Evil has a similar quality. It's a low budget 70s horror with a real sense of mounting menace, helped by being filmed mostly at night and underscored by near-constant rolling waves. It also makes piss all sense, which is apparently less a creative choice and more a consequence of budget cuts and incomplete filming. Great for viewing in a 1am stupor.

Yeah, one that gets compared to Carnival of Souls a lot – I'm always intrigued what it would have been liked if it had been made according to the original vision. Would it have been less interesting? (Probably not, but necessity can sometimes force something good.)

BTW, also meant to comment about that new print – would love to see it!

Danger Man

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 22, 2013, 02:15:19 AM
'Blow Up' just isn't a horror film.

Of course it isn't, but it still managed to make me feel uneasy which very few horror films ever do.

Jaws is one of the few films to genuinely startle me but I wouldn't call that a horror film either.

I suppose the ending of Carrie did give me a bit of a start[nb]i.e. shit myself[/nb]

Sasha

I have just seen the counjuring, that is a really good horror and is in the cinema right now.

I also thought flat liners was scary.

when I was in infant school as saw the nightmare on elm street, that was the scariest film I saw,  It gave me nighmares for about a week.  ive never watched it as an adult, so maybe it is not that bad?

I also saw IT when I was little girl and I STILL have a fear of clowns.

danyulx

Though it's probably no where the near the best horror film ever made or anything, Tobe Hooper's Eaten Alive (1977) - his follow-up to 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre' (a good horror movie is ever there was one, that doesn't even need a mention) - is certainly the most underrated. One for the "underrated horror movies thread" then. As is his The Funhouse too. Good filmmaker.

Also I'm glad Sleepaway Camp and Carnival of Souls and Posession have been mentioned already too, so I won't again.

Hank Venture

Having had a rummage through my horror folder, tonight's selection is Cemetary Man aka Dellamorte Dellamore

Marty McFly

Quote from: Sasha on August 22, 2013, 03:36:58 PM
when I was in infant school as saw the nightmare on elm street, that was the scariest film I saw,  It gave me nighmares for about a week.  ive never watched it as an adult, so maybe it is not that bad?

The original NOES is still a decent film, I think. Before Freddy Krueger turned into a cartoon villain somewhere around the fourth film in the series he was quite terrifying.

lazarou

Quote from: Hank Venture on August 22, 2013, 09:01:28 PM
Having had a rummage through my horror folder, tonight's selection is Cemetary Man aka Dellamorte Dellamore
Ooh, I love that one. Beautiful film, and a surprisingly good turn from Everett.

Hank Venture

Aye. It looks amazing. And Anna Falchi is a stunner, phhhwoooarr.

Hank Venture

Was alright. Like any Italian movie I've ever seen, it was slightly odd, and stuff seemed to happen for no reason and in no particular order - it was like a less funny and/or good "Braindead". Not really horror, more like a strange comedy in a horror world.

6/10

lazarou

I'd argue the surreal aimlessness of it is kind of the point, with its focus on much more "alive" the dead are compared to Francisco's drab existence. It's certainly not as funny or as out there as Braindead, but I enjoy the pacing and atmosphere a lot more, especially the way it starts to unravel towards the end. I had a fairly similar first reaction, but it's grown on me more over the years. Still, euro horror is pretty much YMMV incarnate.

Custard

Some great choices so far, so I'll just add a handful that I find decent which haven't been mentioned yet

Case 39. A decent slow-burning orror, with Renee Zellweggers.

The Return. Sarah Michelle Geller returns to her old home town, and old horrors rear their head.

Ti West's The House Of The Devil, and The Innkeepers I really enjoyed.

Session 9 is pretty ace, and has a horrible atmosphere throughout.

Shutter, the Thai film, has been mentioned, but it really is great, so sod it, another nod for that. The best jump scares of any film

The Revenant is a horror comedy, but is brills

The British The Devil's Chair is superb, and genuinely horrible

And finally, The Exorcist 3, uncut version, is a classic in my book

Johnny Townmouse

There are so many but I would echo recommendations for Session 9, The House of the Devil and The Orphanage.

I also think both Dark Water and The Ring stand up ok with repeat viewings.

Also Kwaidan, which is a portmanteau film of old Japanese ghost stories. In fact, I generally love portmanteau horrors generally, whether they are stuff like Creepshow, Cat's Eyes and The Twilight Zone movie, but the real masters are Amicus with their films Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1964), Torture Garden (1967), The House That Dripped Blood (1970), Tales from the Crypt (1972), Asylum (1972), Vault of Horror (1973), From Beyond the Grave (1974), and The Monster Club (1980).

Finally, a vote for Eden Lake which really managed to get under my skin.

Actually finally, the great horror films of all time are The Innocents, Suspiria, The Shining and An American Werewolf in London.

Custard

Actually, I've got to mention The Loved Ones, too

It could've been a pretty standard potboiler, but is hugely elevated by the brilliantly unhinged performance of the bootiful Robin McLeavy

Noodle Lizard

Kwaidan is one of my all-time favourite films, but I'm always hesitant to recommend it as a horror movie.  I mean, it is, but I always (probably misguidedly) get the feeling people will be disappointed if they go in with those expectations.  Also it's long.

But regardless of whether it's relative to this thread, WATCH IT.  The UK Masters Of Cinema DVD is an excellent transfer, you'd have a hard time believing it was made in the 60s for the most part.

Johnny Townmouse

Yeah, I guess it is more like a collection of fables with a ghost story theme, rather than horror. True.

Those Kobayashi painted set back-drops are fucking amazing and insane - and ripped-off/alluded to in the bonkers Thai genre-mash-up The Tears of the Back Tiger[nb]Which also isn't a horror film, lolz[/nb]

zomgmouse

From recent years, You're Next. A really good twist on the "home invasion" (aka "family in house gets killed slowly by unknown assailants") subgenre of horror. Slightly too shakily shot for my liking and not a great soundtrack, but it was quite fun and I enjoyed the clever take on the plot. I think this has been flowing through festivals for about two years (indeed, I saw it at the Melbourne International Film Festival a few weeks ago) but is set to be given mainstream release shortly.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 23, 2013, 11:03:11 AM
From recent years, You're Next. A really good twist on the "home invasion" (aka "family in house gets killed slowly by unknown assailants") subgenre of horror. Slightly too shakily shot for my liking and not a great soundtrack, but it was quite fun and I enjoyed the clever take on the plot. I think this has been flowing through festivals for about two years (indeed, I saw it at the Melbourne International Film Festival a few weeks ago) but is set to be given mainstream release shortly.

Yeah, what the fuck is it with this?  From all I can see of it, it looks like a completely unremarkable home invasion movie (in fact, you'd not be blamed for thinking it's just a rehash of 'The Strangers'), and yet the reviews are mostly good and praising it for being unique.  Can you give me any clues here?  Because I was burned by the same thing happening with 'The Conjuring'.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 23, 2013, 11:44:49 AM
Can you give me any clues here?
I could, if you don't mind a massive spoiler.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 23, 2013, 02:10:23 PM
I could, if you don't mind a massive Spoiler.

Let me guess: the intruders are actually the homeowners!!!!!!!

No, really I'd rather not have it spoiled, but I shall be holding you personally responsible if I do go and see it and decide that it is, indeed, shit for cunts.

Noodle Lizard

A friend and I rewatched Black Sabbath last night.  I was curious to see whether the A Drop Of Water segment would still creep me out as an adult.  Well, it does.  There's something intensely grim about the image of that corpse.  The other two segments aren't particularly scary, but if this last one doesn't give you the spooks then you are unspookable.

Has anyone else seen it?  Answer me.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 23, 2013, 02:10:23 PM
I could, if you don't mind a massive Spoiler.

It wouldn't be a massive spoiler though as it's given away in every review I've read about it so far.

billtheburger

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 23, 2013, 02:44:19 PM
Black Sabbath
Has anyone else seen it?  Answer me.
The Bava portmanteau?
I have and I really liked it.
I especially liked the ending with
Spoiler alert
Karloff showing that it's all bullshit on his pretend horse
[close]

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: billtheburger on August 23, 2013, 02:48:50 PM
The Bava portmanteau?
I have and I really liked it.
I especially liked the ending with
Spoiler alert
Karloff showing that it's all bullshit on his pretend horse
[close]

Yes, Boris Karloff said all those little skits were the most fun he'd ever had on a movie set.  But what about the A Drop Of Water segment specifically?  The one where the nurse steals a corring.  I'm racking my brains to think of anything scarier I've seen.  There certainly aren't many images that stick in my head quite so much.

I don't want to give it away - you can watch the whole segment on YouTube, but it's in Italian and with no subtitles which isn't very good.

billtheburger

Yes I agree, the woman's face is fucking etched into my soul. Horrid. Fortunately my male bravado was high as there was around six of us watching it.

I have felt more creeped out when I saw Pipes in Ghostwatch during a camera pan, when the
Spoiler alert
kid came out of the telly
[close]
in Ringu & when the blind women in Julia's Eyes
Spoiler alert
could sense a male presesence in the changing rooms.
[close]
and when I first saw underneath One Eyed Willie's eye patch in The Goonies.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: billtheburger on August 23, 2013, 03:05:10 PM
Yes I agree, the woman's face is fucking etched into my soul. Horrid. Fortunately my male bravado was high as there was around six of us watching it.

I have felt more creeped out when I saw Pipes in Ghostwatch during a camera pan, when the
Spoiler alert
kid came out of the telly
[close]
in Ringu & when the blind women in Julia's Eyes
Spoiler alert
could sense a male presesence in the changing rooms.
[close]
and when I first saw underneath One Eyed Willie's eye patch in The Goonies.

I'll give you Ghostwatch and Ringu.  Though that scene in the latter is now so widely-referenced and overplayed that it's become far less distressing, for me anyway.  It's astounding how much more effective it is in the original than the remake, despite the remake trying so hard to outdo it.  The image itself looks far scarier in the original, less like something you might see on a 3D TV ad.

Still, I think A Drop Of Water has some images which have only been matched by The Others and The Innocents in the "how to give Noodle Lizard the heebie jeebies" contest.

billtheburger

The first time I saw it (Ringu) on late night Channel 4 in circa 2000, it gave me shivers.
I'm also not denying your placement of that face from Black Sabbath. It's way up there.