Author Topic: Good Horror Movies  (Read 145508 times)

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
Re: Good Horror Movies
« Reply #1710 on: November 05, 2017, 12:54:03 AM »
Killer Klowns from Outer Space. The costumes and sets in this more than make up for the wavering levels of humour. Really impressed by the clowns in this. Plus the general goofy vibe won me over in the end.

Desirable Industrial Unit

• Reasonable offers accepted
« Reply #1711 on: November 06, 2017, 11:51:49 PM »
Also watched Sleepaway Camp last night, i struggled to get into it first but I have a feeling that ending will stay with me for a long time.

That's one of the few films of its type that I find endlessly re-watchable.  It's a bit inept and poorly-acted for the most part, but it's like there's a ringing tone of strangeness going through it that makes it compelling.  It's not just the ending, the whole thing is peculiar.  Return to Sleepaway Camp proved that the first film was some sort of happy accident, as it's pretty much a remake and is utter gash.

Anyway, Happy Death Day is quite a bit better than I expected.  Gorehounds will not be satisfied, as the gimmick of the day resetting at the moment of death means there's no on-screen splatter, but it's an amiable enough mainstream horror flick that turns out to be a little bit smarter than I suspected at the halfway point.  The worst thing about it is the moment in which a character says what we were all thinking about the concept, which just made me cringe, as we're far enough into the film to let it slide by that point.

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #1712 on: November 07, 2017, 12:43:38 AM »
Ravenous. Absolutely loved this. Robert Carlyle gives a stupendous performance. The intermingling of western, horror and dark comedy, from start to finish, was truly exemplary. Allegories ahoy. Beautiful scenery and overall look. Macabre plot progression, almost classical Hollywood in one sense but then just completely twists around in that mould. Delicious.

5 Dolls for an August Moon. Perhaps the swinging sixtiesest giallo I've ever seen. Plenty of 1970 vintage kooky kitsch. Manages to work up quite the unsettling oddball atmosphere, not in the least due to the killer lounge dance score by Piero Umiliani. The final few minutes take a deep nose dive, though, and ultimately left me disappointed. Still great visually as expected from Mario Bava.

« Reply #1713 on: November 07, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »
Anyway, Happy Death Day is quite a bit better than I expected.  Gorehounds will not be satisfied, as the gimmick of the day resetting at the moment of death means there's no on-screen splatter, but it's an amiable enough mainstream horror flick that turns out to be a little bit smarter than I suspected at the halfway point.  The worst thing about it is the moment in which a character says what we were all thinking about the concept, which just made me cringe, as we're far enough into the film to let it slide by that point.

I didn't understand the point of Happy Death Day. As you say there's no gore, but also no jokes as far as I could tell. It seemed like a waste of quite a fun concept. Anyway, I reviewed it here.

I will mention The Killing of a Sacred Deer because for me that's definitely a horror film, one of the year's best in fact. Properly unnerving and unpredictable.

« Reply #1714 on: November 07, 2017, 04:12:59 PM »
Anyway, I reviewed it here.

You don't like Scrooged? What's wrong with you?

« Reply #1715 on: November 07, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
You don't like Scrooged? What's wrong with you?

What's to like?

« Reply #1716 on: November 07, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »
Let's start a list:

The Richard Pryor joke
The Richard Burton impression
David Johanssen is in it!
Karen Allen is in it!
Robert Mitchum is in it!
Bobcat Goldthwaite is in it!
That speech he gives at the end
"God bless us everyone"
Carol Kane whacking seven shades out of Bill Murray
The bit with him in the coffin
"Just the men...no, the real men..."

I could go on...

Brundle-Fly

• I'm so Avant-garden variety
« Reply #1717 on: November 07, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »
And a masterful Danny Elfman score!

This suite makes me want to run across a snow-covered field at night with a flaming torch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIcG-wddnew

AsparagusTrevor

• I'm fine, thank you.
« Reply #1718 on: November 08, 2017, 12:38:38 PM »
Ravenous. Absolutely loved this. Robert Carlyle gives a stupendous performance. The intermingling of western, horror and dark comedy, from start to finish, was truly exemplary. Allegories ahoy. Beautiful scenery and overall look. Macabre plot progression, almost classical Hollywood in one sense but then just completely twists around in that mould. Delicious.
I love that film! Great, crazy score by Damon Albarn also.

Kane Jones

• I want to see your 27 fingers explode in my body
« Reply #1719 on: November 08, 2017, 01:45:35 PM »
Let's start a list:

The Richard Pryor joke
The Richard Burton impression
David Johanssen is in it!
Karen Allen is in it!
Robert Mitchum is in it!
Bobcat Goldthwaite is in it!
That speech he gives at the end
"God bless us everyone"
Carol Kane whacking seven shades out of Bill Murray
The bit with him in the coffin
"Just the men...no, the real men..."

I could go on...

"Face it, Frank; garden slugs got more out of life than you."
"Ha, name one!"

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #1720 on: November 08, 2017, 11:02:29 PM »
I love that film! Great, crazy score by Damon Albarn also.

Damon Albarn and Michael Nyman!

« Reply #1721 on: November 10, 2017, 11:48:07 PM »
Mayhem, with Steven Yeun, is an bloody entertaining time filler. Starts with the kinetic style and narration of yer Wright or Ritchie, and mixes an Office Space/American Psycho-style Office environment with a 28 Time periods Later virus set to about 20% effectiveness. People 'lose their inhibitions' but it's possible to remain rational if you want. It's pretty fucking loose tbh, which is noticeable, but if you buy in, the pay-off is decent. All of this is then thrown into a tower-climb/Boss Rush-style plot stripped from Dredd/The Raid to make, if not exactly original, a well-produced and engaging violent romp.

I'm not sure if this even counts as a horror, as such, as it's in no way scary but does have some splattery deaths, a (briefly) visible cock, the 'C'unt word, pissing on a corpse and some enjoyable performances. There are a lot of things I start but don't finish, but I was basically in for this after the first few minutes. No' bad.

« Reply #1722 on: November 14, 2017, 08:11:51 AM »
Mayhem, with Steven Yeun, is an bloody entertaining time filler. Starts with the kinetic style and narration of yer Wright or Ritchie, and mixes an Office Space/American Psycho-style Office environment with a 28 Time periods Later virus set to about 20% effectiveness. People 'lose their inhibitions' but it's possible to remain rational if you want. It's pretty fucking loose tbh, which is noticeable, but if you buy in, the pay-off is decent. All of this is then thrown into a tower-climb/Boss Rush-style plot stripped from Dredd/The Raid to make, if not exactly original, a well-produced and engaging violent romp.

I'm not sure if this even counts as a horror, as such, as it's in no way scary but does have some splattery deaths, a (briefly) visible cock, the 'C'unt word, pissing on a corpse and some enjoyable performances. There are a lot of things I start but don't finish, but I was basically in for this after the first few minutes. No' bad.

Have you seen Everly from the same director, starring Salma Hayek? It is a similarly OTT action-fest

Bad Ambassador

• Sit down, Mario!
« Reply #1723 on: November 14, 2017, 08:58:19 AM »
"Face it, Frank; garden slugs got more out of life than you."
"Ha, name one!"

"Niagara Falls, Frankie angel."
"Mother, help me!"
"I know it's been..." *looks at watch* "... eleven years"
His stumble as he leaves the restaurant

JoeyBananaduck

• Blame It On Mom
« Reply #1724 on: November 14, 2017, 01:16:42 PM »
Killer Klowns from Outer Space. The costumes and sets in this more than make up for the wavering levels of humour. Really impressed by the clowns in this. Plus the general goofy vibe won me over in the end.

Killer theme tune too. Sequel/remake TV series in the pipeline apparently!

alan nagsworth

• feel it in the belly like a yellow worm with teeth
« Reply #1725 on: November 15, 2017, 01:29:39 AM »
Hausu - what the fuck did I just watch

I adore this film. Certainly one of the most fun and inventive horrors I've seen - it's kind of like Dario Argento meets Benny Hill. Visually very dazzling, unreal, colourful, with heaps of bonkers slapstick and unconventional violence.

Hausu typically employs what I dearly love about some other older horror films: their use of green screen/prosthetics to create the gore and terror in a way that probably didn't even look too convincing in its heyday, but nevertheless evokes a sense of uneasiness in the viewer due to it being intrinsically related to the "real life" events you have been watching for most of the film.

A key example would be in Zombie Flesh Eaters, one of my all-time favourite horror films, with the cupboard scene where the shard of wood impales the woman's eye. There's no fucking way that looks anything like a real eye, but seeing the tip of the wood move slowly closer to the real eyeball moments beforehand, there's a link there which does not cheapen the final, bloody impact. CGI blood splatters don't really do anything for me either, and I'm much more excited by the prospect of that bright red gloopy shit they use in old zombie flicks, because for want of a better explanation, it just looks fucking horrible!

I might start a separate thread if it doesn't take in here, but basically I'm interested in finding some more similarly "unreal" and downright weird, unconventional horrors. Similar to Hausu, I'm a big fan of the absurdity of Tetsuo: Iron Man and have always found it equal parts absurd, hilarious and horrifying. Shinya Tsukamoto is a fucking brilliant director. I really love Lucio Fulci, the aforementioned Zombie Flesh Eaters, plus City of The Living Dead and The Beyond, the final scene of which is so unexpected and spine-chilling. Then there's also Possession which is one of the most frantic, hysterically traumatic portrayals of the total breakdown of trust and love between two people and definitely one of the more unique horrors I've seen. Xtro is by all means quite a bad film but nonetheless very unsettling in its nature, as purlieu mentioned to me the other week, that it basically has no moments of joy or redemption in it whatsoever. Just a fucking horrible alien being an evil cunt. And lastly for the time being I'll mention Society, a belter of a Brian Yuzna flick which slowly morphs from a goofy high school coming-of-age story into something the likes of which I could have never prepared myself. Really brilliant and mind-blowing.

So aye if anyone feels like chatting about those sorts of films and why they're so evocative in their now-dated methods of horror-making, and other similar films, let's have it. I could never tire of these sorts of movies.

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #1726 on: November 15, 2017, 07:39:35 AM »
Killer theme tune too. Sequel/remake TV series in the pipeline apparently!
Yeah the theme was almost the best part about this!
This does not need a TV series out of it. What is it with making TV shows out of films?? GET SOME FUCKING ORIGINAL IDEAS, FUCK'S SAKE.

« Reply #1727 on: November 15, 2017, 05:55:19 PM »
Radius 2017

Liam (Diego Klattenhoff) wakes from a car crash at the bottom of a deep ditch with no memory of who he is. As he makes his way into town, he discovers that anyone who comes within a 50-foot radius of him dies instantly. Out of options, he tries to live in seclusion to protect others, until the day a woman comes up to him and doesn't die in his presence. With her arrival, Liam's murderous power now seems to have subsided. The woman, Jane (Charlotte Sullivan), is also amnesiac and looking for answers. Together, they embark on a journey to uncover who they are and what happened to them on the night of the accident.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #1728 on: November 21, 2017, 12:54:59 AM »
It's surprisingly good, particularly from a prick who calls himself McG.  Went in with very low expectations but it's a silly blast of a thing, anyone who appreciates 'Ash vs. Evil Dead' will have fun with it.

Just finished this and agree with all you say there, it's a tight little bastard and a lot of fun, even if it is very predictable stuff it has a smart sense of humour and I liked it a lot.

I adore this film. Certainly one of the most fun and inventive horrors I've seen - it's kind of like Dario Argento meets Benny Hill. Visually very dazzling, unreal, colourful, with heaps of bonkers slapstick and unconventional violence.

Hausu typically employs what I dearly love about some other older horror films: their use of green screen/prosthetics to create the gore and terror in a way that probably didn't even look too convincing in its heyday, but nevertheless evokes a sense of uneasiness in the viewer due to it being intrinsically related to the "real life" events you have been watching for most of the film.

A key example would be in Zombie Flesh Eaters, one of my all-time favourite horror films, with the cupboard scene where the shard of wood impales the woman's eye. There's no fucking way that looks anything like a real eye, but seeing the tip of the wood move slowly closer to the real eyeball moments beforehand, there's a link there which does not cheapen the final, bloody impact. CGI blood splatters don't really do anything for me either, and I'm much more excited by the prospect of that bright red gloopy shit they use in old zombie flicks, because for want of a better explanation, it just looks fucking horrible!

I might start a separate thread if it doesn't take in here, but basically I'm interested in finding some more similarly "unreal" and downright weird, unconventional horrors. Similar to Hausu, I'm a big fan of the absurdity of Tetsuo: Iron Man and have always found it equal parts absurd, hilarious and horrifying. Shinya Tsukamoto is a fucking brilliant director. I really love Lucio Fulci, the aforementioned Zombie Flesh Eaters, plus City of The Living Dead and The Beyond, the final scene of which is so unexpected and spine-chilling. Then there's also Possession which is one of the most frantic, hysterically traumatic portrayals of the total breakdown of trust and love between two people and definitely one of the more unique horrors I've seen. Xtro is by all means quite a bad film but nonetheless very unsettling in its nature, as purlieu mentioned to me the other week, that it basically has no moments of joy or redemption in it whatsoever. Just a fucking horrible alien being an evil cunt. And lastly for the time being I'll mention Society, a belter of a Brian Yuzna flick which slowly morphs from a goofy high school coming-of-age story into something the likes of which I could have never prepared myself. Really brilliant and mind-blowing.

So aye if anyone feels like chatting about those sorts of films and why they're so evocative in their now-dated methods of horror-making, and other similar films, let's have it. I could never tire of these sorts of movies.

I love every one of those films but I'm struggling to think of anything quite as good as them. I mean there's films like The Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police, but they're so over the top on the gore front that I see them as comedies more than anything else. Maybe Ken Russell's The Devils? That is all kinds of insane and yet still disturbing at times.

« Reply #1729 on: November 21, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »

Nags, if I heard you say all this while you were next to me in a pub, I would buy you plenty o' pints.  THESE FILMS are what I think of when I think of my all-time favourite horror,especially The Beyond.  Sometimes I think they're the only thing that makes me really happy.  I'm at work and so can't write a proper reply but I would also add Cat In The Brain[/] and Anthropophagus:  The Beast to the above. 

« Reply #1730 on: November 21, 2017, 05:51:11 PM »
Deathwatch is decent.

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
« Reply #1731 on: November 21, 2017, 09:35:54 PM »
Alan, you seen the films of Pete Walker?  Met him once near where I live and told him I thought he was the best home-grown horror filmmaker we ever produced.  He looked a bit overwhelmed but grateful.  Cover Up/Frightmare would be a good place to start with him, or maybe House of Mortal Sin.

For more of that overtly dream-like feeling you seem to be talking about (which The Beyond completely nailed), a lot of arthouse directors (like the dude who made Hausu) delved into the horror world and made some interesting, oneiric oddities, like Viy, Valerie & Her Week of Wonders, almost everything by Jean Rollin, The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, Cemetary Man etc.  And y'know, horror, at least in theory, is pretty much fantasy except unbound by all the tropes that's picked up over the years- anything goes.  Some more schlocky rarely-mentioned faves you might like: The Dead Next Door, At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul, Kuroneko, Nightmare City, Jigoku (1960 version), Psychomania...

« Reply #1732 on: November 21, 2017, 09:40:22 PM »
House of Mortal Sin is great, as is House of Whipcord.

The ending of Nightmare City...I still crease up thinking about that.

St_Eddie

• St_Eddie's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1733 on: November 21, 2017, 10:28:25 PM »
I've jotted down several suggestions from this thread on to my 'to watch' list, so thanks for that, folks.

I love that film! Great, crazy score by Damon Albarn [and Michael Nyman] also.

I'm kind of late with my reply here but I'd just like to tip my hat to the above.

Ravenous is a horribly underappreciated gem, to the point of being an injustice.  It also holds up incredibly well to repeat viewings, as I can attest, given that I've been a fan, ever since its release nearly 20 years ago (fucking Hell, where does the time go?).  It's a truly great film which needs to be seen by more people.  Get to it, people.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:49:45 PM by St_Eddie »

DukeDeMondo

• fuck sake
« Reply #1734 on: November 21, 2017, 10:40:24 PM »
One that I would add to the Nags-pile, and one that I only got to see this year thanks to the efforts of our own Steven (although it's since been released on Blu-Ray), is Vasili Mass's absolutely fucking delirious hyper-Freudian head-humper Spider, a Latvian number from 1991 that does everything you would hope a film about a young woman in the throes of whatever kinds of fits shagging a giant spider might do. It's got everything. A big bastard of a spider to be shagged. Religious ecstasies and torments. An artist who might or might not be some kind of sadomasochistic sleep-stalking warlock of some fashion. Strange things glimpsed through the fugg of however many fevered reveries.

Marvellous, hideous sights without equal, is the sum of what you're in for.

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #1735 on: November 22, 2017, 08:34:52 PM »
One that I would add to the Nags-pile, and one that I only got to see this year thanks to the efforts of our own Steven (although it's since been released on Blu-Ray), is Vasili Mass's absolutely fucking delirious hyper-Freudian head-humper Spider, a Latvian number from 1991 that does everything you would hope a film about a young woman in the throes of whatever kinds of fits shagging a giant spider might do. It's got everything. A big bastard of a spider to be shagged. Religious ecstasies and torments. An artist who might or might not be some kind of sadomasochistic sleep-stalking warlock of some fashion. Strange things glimpsed through the fugg of however many fevered reveries.

Marvellous, hideous sights without equal, is the sum of what you're in for.

I tried to watch this today (thanks to cinemageddon) but the subtitles were awful, I know a better translation once existed as it's up on the site via a now non-working megaupload link, I don't suppose you've got the improved version by any chance?

DukeDeMondo

• fuck sake
« Reply #1736 on: November 23, 2017, 10:38:17 PM »
I tried to watch this today (thanks to cinemageddon) but the subtitles were awful, I know a better translation once existed as it's up on the site via a now non-working megaupload link, I don't suppose you've got the improved version by any chance?

Ah, the subtitles I had were not great either, unfortunately. They were passable enough, mind you. I can send them to you one way or another if you'd like to try them anyway?

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #1737 on: November 24, 2017, 12:12:35 AM »
Ah, the subtitles I had were not great either, unfortunately. They were passable enough, mind you. I can send them to you one way or another if you'd like to try them anyway?

If you wouldn't mind that'd be really appreciated.

I quite liked this but thought they fucked the ending up, it was far too happy and compact and I'd have enjoyed a darker element to it. It's definitely a fun throwaway flick, but also one of those films which you can't help but feel could have been a lot better with a few minor tweaks.

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #1738 on: November 24, 2017, 01:34:38 PM »
Better Watch Out presents itself as that then takes a drastic turn.

Just watched this and yeah this is definitely one that swerves from what it starts out seeming like. Which was good. Could've done it a bit earlier though - I was on the verge of not caring until it did the thing. Overall not too bad, some quite gripping moments but this really could have been a half-hour episode of something at most.

alan nagsworth

• feel it in the belly like a yellow worm with teeth
« Reply #1739 on: November 25, 2017, 02:40:41 PM »
Oh, wow! I forgot about this thread (I'm not here often these days) but so many suggestions! Thank you all! <3