Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:22:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

British Comedy In America

Started by Artemis, July 30, 2004, 08:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

Quote from: "Gooseboy"I'm confused by her loathing IAP1 and Office1 but loving IAP2 and Office2.  This will be the first and last time I use this acronym: WTF?

Well, she's used to her comedy being a little bit more obvious then IAP1. The series was a bit too subtle and 'dark' for her to really get. It was the first Alan Partridge thing I showed her - she saw one and a half but I wasn't getting the desired reaction, so I showed her IAP2 instead. Then we went back to IAP1 and she enjoyed it more, but still not very much.

As for The Office Series One, I think that unlike series two, where the comedy comes from character interaction a lot more, sereis one requires at least a basic understanding of the way the 'British' are. It's joy is in the painfully accurate reflection of people like David Brent. It'll be interesting to see if the American version is equally as subtle in an American context or if they'll just go for obvious 'joke' style comedy.

Godzilla Bankrolls

I always found it odd that people always hold Brent up as the reason The Office is good. The stuff with Crook and Freeman is miles better, with a proper comedic dynamic. Not that I'm a fan of The Office, I was just wondering.

Artemis

I wasn't holding Brent up as the reason the office is good, he was just an example. Crook and Freeman are both very good also, and closer to my experience of office life. Brent was just the first person who came to mind. I understand how you're annoyed by that though. Sorry.