Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:01:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films that are well boring

Started by Custard, August 22, 2013, 09:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_Preston

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 24, 2013, 11:13:48 AM
Oh, Permanent Vacation.  I hate to say it because I generally really like Jim Jarmusch, but that film is a load of old wank.  75 minutes has never felt so long.  Obviously a wiser person than I saw something in it and gave him a shot, for I would have immediately kicked him in the bollocks and/or arse for wasting my time were I in that position.

It has that great dance scene to Earl Bostic though.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Don_Preston on August 24, 2013, 11:58:49 AM
It has that great dance scene to Earl Bostic though.

No.  Although that is generally what I picture CookdandBombd meets to look like.

zomgmouse

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 23, 2013, 11:18:33 PM
Darren Aronofsky's brooding, pompous and humourless The Fountain. Not too much in the way of dialogue, and Hugh Jackman does Tai Chi in a giant snowglobe floating across outer space for ages.
Yes. I couldn't bear this.

Queneau

The clue is Darren Aronofsky is involved.

Quote from: Queneau on August 25, 2013, 11:51:06 AM
The clue is Darren Aronofsky is involved.

I don't think that's fair, really. I'd say all his films, Pi, Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream are excellent and incredibly tense and compelling. The Wrestler felt a bit too long at times but it was definitely a very good piece still.
I mean, you're entitled to your opinion but do you honestly find his films boring? I mean, you can make criticisms towards all of them I'm sure, but I feel boring wouldn't be one of them.

zomgmouse

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 23, 2013, 02:13:06 PM
Michael Palin?! I'll have to look more closely if I rewatch this.
I've just watched that scene again on YouTube and while there are maybe one or two people who do look suspiciously like Palin, he doesn't seem to be there.
I did a Google Image search and it came up with this:

That is one of the people who looks like him, but it's not really him, though, is it?

Blumf

Looks like Palin crossed with Jim Davidson to me.

Glebe

That could be the McGann's father in the left.

Quote from: Glebe on August 25, 2013, 05:43:47 PM
That could be the McGann's father in the left.

Looks more like the Coogan brothers' Dad to me. And Werner Herzog on the right

Glebe

That's Bjork's Mum to the top-left of the speccy guy's head. She's kinda peeping out in an strange Icelandic elfin way.

Canted_Angle

Anything by the Coen Brothers excluding Hudsucker Proxy, Big Lebowski and Burn After Reading. But even those have a very large underlying element of strong boredom.

Lyfjaberg

Quote from: Canted_Angle on August 26, 2013, 01:22:45 AM
Anything by the Coen Brothers excluding Hudsucker Proxy, Big Lebowski and Burn After Reading. But even those have a very large underlying element of strong boredom.

You need to watch the sublime Barton Fink and somehow magically learn that you are frighteningly wrong.

Noodle Lizard

If anything by the Coen Bros is boring, it's 'Burn After Reading', but that may just be because I never lived or worked in Washington D.C.  And 'A Serious Man', but that may just be because I'm not a Jewish American.

Yes, I have a friend who is all of those things who tells me I'm wrong.

Burn after Reading is middling, but again, I wouldn't say it's boring. Just not particuarly good.
I bloody LOVED a Serious Man though. One of my favourites. 

I didn't connect with Barton Fink as much. John Goodman and his character were brilliant but I just didn't really feel for/identify/connect with the Barton Fink protagonist. Not a slight against John Turturro. Think he did a great job actually. I'd probably classify it as boring but I think I just need to give the film another go.

Glebe

Quote from: Bored of Canada on August 26, 2013, 09:54:20 AMI bloody LOVED a Serious Man though. One of my favourites.

I remember the trailer for that making an impression... had intended to rent it when it came out, then, er, didn't. Was on TV recently but I missed it.

Sam

A Serious Man was excellent. It's their trademarks taken to absurd levels. It's so mannered, dry and stylised that it could easily alienate Coen fans let alone non-fans. But the film is bursting with craft and well constructed mystery...impossible to be bored.

Aronofsky is an interesting one. My favourite is Pi, I thought Black Swan was largely a dull and repetitive retread of his previous films. The Fountain is all over the shop, but admirably and ambitiously so. Couldn't really accuse it of being boring.

Noodley: I didn't intentionally capitalise 'life': I post on my phone and it does all sorts of auto-corrections and capitalisation for me. Although, the fact that it wound you up is a nice touch, so it's not all bad.

Canted_Angle

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 26, 2013, 07:59:48 AM
If anything by the Coen Bros is boring, it's 'Burn After Reading', but that may just be because I never lived or worked in Washington D.C.  And 'A Serious Man', but that may just be because I'm not a Jewish American.

Yes, I have a friend who is all of those things who tells me I'm wrong.

I only really like Burn After Reading because it doesn't even try to be a story and is possibly the most honest work of nothingness they have ever made. The most frustratingly pathetic output from them has to be 'No Country For Old Men'...It's such an insult to the fact Tommy Lee Jones gives one of his best performances for years and Javier Bardems character is fantastic. They had so much to work with and still managed to make it feel boring and incomplete. I know that's the ending of the book so they can hide behind that. But have the Coens ever made a film which is satisfying and complete?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Canted_Angle on August 26, 2013, 12:31:50 PM
I only really like Burn After Reading because it doesn't even try to be a story and is possibly the most honest work of nothingness they have ever made. The most frustratingly pathetic output from them has to be 'No Country For Old Men'...It's such an insult to the fact Tommy Lee Jones gives one of his best performances for years and Javier Bardems character is fantastic. They had so much to work with and still managed to make it feel boring and incomplete. I know that's the ending of the book so they can hide behind that. But have the Coens ever made a film which is satisfying and complete?

It's not the ending of the book, but it's the ending of the story.

Garam

No Country's one of the most engrossing movies ever made. Love it.

Omerta

Agreed. I think because I'd been waiting so long for a new Coen Brother film to come out, when I finally went to the cinema to see NCFOM I nearly died of over-enjoyment.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Zodiac, which after an hour of excitement and hot pursuit dissolves into two hours of apparently very chronologically and historically accurate tedium.

Custard

Never seen their The Ladykillers, but A Serious Man is the only Coens film I found genuinely boring on first watch. Bought it cheaply on DVD since then, so better give it a second chance at some point.

Intolerable Cruelty is a bit rubs too, but I can't recall finding it too boring

The rest of their output I find great, especially Barton Fink, Lebowski, No Country, Miller's Crossing, and Fargo.

The only Coen films I could confidently call boring are Miller's Crossing or Blood Simple, in the former's case largely due to the tree-like presence of Gabriel Byrne. But on the whole? No way.

In regards to Sexton's There Will be Blood tag:

As much as I love most Paul Thomas Anderson films, their running times could DEFINITELY be trimmed down to be more cohesive and better paced films. Then again, I've seen a lot, lot, lot of films at this point, as I'm sure most of you have, but I'm starting to really love films with more economic running times. I generally feel it's just good filmmaking, forces you to not digress and make every minute count, make everything important, all contributing to the point of the film.

I mean, obviously, I'm not discrediting the MANY great longer films from history. I'm just speaking generally. I think Paul Thomas Anderson would achieve far more cohesive and powerful films if he kept it just under two hours. Even just that extra half hour taken off would make it a far more compelling experience.

And hey, all you Paul Anderson fans: Back-off, okay? I've already said, I love his films.
I absolutely won't hear a bad word about his magnum opus, DOA: Dead or Alive, based on the Tit[nb].[/nb]ular video-game.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

My tag was just a stupid pun. Boring into oil wells = well boring.

Mini

Quote from: Bored of Canada on August 26, 2013, 02:19:53 PM
As much as I love most Paul Thomas Anderson films, their running times could DEFINITELY be trimmed down to be more cohesive and better paced films. Then again, I've seen a lot, lot, lot of films at this point, as I'm sure most of you have, but I'm starting to really love films with more economic running times. I generally feel it's just good filmmaking, forces you to not digress and make every minute count, make everything important, all contributing to the point of the film.

I agree, Magnolia being the worst culprit. And when every big film has to become a franchise now we get The Hobbit, where the first of 3 films is 3 hours long and feels longer.

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on August 26, 2013, 02:46:12 PM
My tag was just a stupid pun. Boring into oil wells = well boring.

Too subtle and incredibly clever to actually be funny.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Bored of Canada on August 26, 2013, 03:28:26 PM
Too subtle and incredibly clever to actually be funny.

That was my Edinburgh Fringe show review.

Johnny Townmouse

You see this was all covered with my 'The Core' tag. Keep up scum.

the midnight watch baboon

The Good Shepherd well made, acted, conceived, thoughtful... just far too long and really rather boring. This boring, lazy appellation can also be applied to Tinker, Tailor, Shoulders, Spy, Changeling, and the M Mann music video of Miami Vice. I really liked Zodiac on second viewing, Mark Ruffalo's presence becomes a brain lesion that you want to win.