Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:05:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ben Affleck is Batman

Started by Noodle Lizard, August 23, 2013, 02:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

I have a lot of respect for Affleck as a director, but he has zero charisma and cinematic presence. Bad choice (but fingers crossed I'm proved wrong)

Glebe

I immediately thought 'This is not good', but I can imagine his jaw jutting out of the mask. Plus he's a decent actor. In any case, just having Batman in the next Superman flick is a plus-point, Man if Steel was pretty bad overall.

El Unicornio, mang

Now that the initial shock has gone, I'm not feeling as bad about it. I think the name "Ben Affleck" just has a lot of negative connotations as a result of lots of bad movies, the horror that was Daredevil and other non-film related stuff. Physically he's about right but I've not seen him do anything really close to the two characters he needs to portray. He's getting almost unanimous negative comments from fanboys, but then again so did Michael Keaton, and Daniel Craig when he was announced as Bond.

grassbath

He's too smug and boyish. You've got to believe someone's a troubled genius if you're going to watch them get away with running around in a rubber animal suit for a few hours.

Noodle Lizard

I don't really have much of a stake in Batman, so I don't really care.  I'm actually more surprised that Affleck is up for it, since he seemed to have been going off in his own direction of late (i.e. doing his own films, very successfully) and I'd have thought this would be a bit of a step-down in terms of integrity, though certainly not financially.

El Unicornio, mang

It will be worth it if Matt Damon turns up near the end dressed in a really bad Robin outfit

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 23, 2013, 03:26:33 AM
I don't really have much of a stake in Batman, so I don't really care.  I'm actually more surprised that Affleck is up for it, since he seemed to have been going off in his own direction of late (i.e. doing his own films, very successfully) and I'd have thought this would be a bit of a step-down in terms of integrity, though certainly not financially.

I think possibly it's one of those "boyhood fantasy" roles (like James Bond, or a Jedi in Star Wars) that well-respected actors jump at the chance to do, even though the reality of it isn't necessarily quite so romantic.

A lot of people were saying they would like John Hamm to be the next Batman. Ben Affleck has a similiar kind of look, but he's younger and can potentially play the character over the next eight years as they expand this franchise.

I don't mind him. As disappointing as Daredevil was, Affleck wasn't one of the things that were wrong with it.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 23, 2013, 03:49:06 AM
I think possibly it's one of those "boyhood fantasy" roles (like James Bond, or a Jedi in Star Wars) that well-respected actors jump at the chance to do, even though the reality of it isn't necessarily quite so romantic.

May have something to do with bitterness over his previous attempt at being a superhero ('Daredevil') being almost universally reviled.  Now he's back on top of his game and probably thinking "Fuck you, I can do anything, I am Affleck!"

I won't lie, it IS weird that you'd ask me if I've met him, but yes, I have[nb]Well, I was sat facing him for 10 minutes or so and he kept staring at me rather oddly - probably wondering if I might be a long-lost son because we have the same stupidly oblong head[/nb].  Details of how to admonish me for this can be found in one of those Karma Kickstarter threads[nb]basically, give me as much negative karma as you can, I can take it[/nb].

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Default to the negative on August 23, 2013, 03:54:50 AM
A lot of people were saying they would like John Hamm to be the next Batman. Ben Affleck has a similiar kind of look, but he's younger and can potentially play the character over the next eight years as they expand this franchise.

I think Jon Hamm would have been a better choice, if only because he resembles the cartoon Batman more than Affleck does.  And he has a very big willy!

Kevin Smith must have emptied his balls when he heard this news. I can't say I'm looking forward to hearing him effuse for an hour about how his buddy Ben will be the best Batman ever.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Default to the negative on August 23, 2013, 04:03:19 AM
Kevin Smith must have emptied his balls when he heard this news. I can't say I'm looking forward to hearing him effuse for an hour about how his buddy Ben will be the best Batman ever.

Quote from: Kevin Smith on TwitterHoly shit... BEN AFFLECK IS THE NEW BATMAN!!! http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ben-affleck-is-the-new-batman-1200586881/ ... Do you know what this means? It means that I've seen Batman naked!!!

Ha ha it's true!

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Default to the negative on August 23, 2013, 03:54:50 AM
A lot of people were saying they would like John Hamm to be the next Batman. Ben Affleck has a similiar kind of look, but he's younger

He's only younger by a year! Hamm is 42, Affleck is 41 (although he does admittedly look quite a bit younger)

Johnny Townmouse

Anyone else absolutely 100% sure they will go to their grave having never seen this piece of utter brainless fucking dogshit drivel for cunts?

Hey, join team JT.

So is it Superman, Batman, superhero team-ups in general, or just this particular team-up that you think is shit for cunts?

Johnny Townmouse

Good question.

Yes, I suppose.

I honestly do admire the resolution required to be invested in a film like this.

spock rogers

This is bad. Clooney bad. If you're gonna choose an Affleck at least pick the one who can act.

olliebean

I was rooting for Peter Capaldi.

mycroft

Well I for one am disgusted and outraged that THE PATRIARCHY have won again.

Rebooting Batman right now is a terrible idea.

The role has been pretty much defined in what we can all agree was an iconic performance:

wait for it.....

Kane Jones

So is someone going to do a mock-up of Affleck wearing the cowl so I can make up my mind whether this'll be shit or not?  I like Clooney as an actor but he looked shit as Batman.  No lips and the wrong jaw, you see.

Queneau

Quote from: grassbath on August 23, 2013, 03:13:05 AM
He's too smug and boyish. You've got to believe someone's a troubled genius if you're going to watch them get away with running around in a rubber animal suit for a few hours.

Isn't that what actors are supposed to do?

Thursday

So when are they going to finally let a woman play Batman, eh Hollywood??? #sexism #patriarchy

El Unicornio, mang

Kane Jones

Christ.  She can beat me senseless any day of the week.  And kick my head in.

Famous Mortimer

I'd have been happier if that film had just been the pan up her body, over and over again.

biggytitbo

Shit does this mean the Rentaghost film isn't going to happen then? :(

madhair60

Adults getting angry about Batman gets my dick hard so I'm thrilled by this news.